2nd thoughts about coming to Thailand..

Guest TerryS123

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I have heard tell that some of them even have names... 

sure, always 3 letters, Nit, Noy, Lek..

list them by names, how many kids they have, where they are from...  cross reference by birthdays, hairstyles - up to you...

The interview process will bring your encounters to 15 minutes rather than 5... it will be fun.

I know Nit and Lek

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Many of the ASQ hotels have decreased their cost for people in quarantine.  Are you aware of the insurance requirement for people on an O-A visa?  Can be very expensive depending on your age and must be purchased from the designated Thai insurance companies. 

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

only if he arrives before 6 May.

I thought it was before 1 May? All very tedious because I got COE last week for arrival 12 May. Of course the COE does say 'not less than 10 days', not 'a period of 10 days', so they can always make their own decision on arrival. 

2 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I thought it was before 1 May? All very tedious because I got COE last week for arrival 12 May. Of course the COE does say 'not less than 10 days', not 'a period of 10 days', so they can always make their own decision on arrival. 

As I understand it COE had to be issued before 1 May and you have to arrive before 6 May to fall under the lower quarantine requirement

Just rock up and do the quarantine, it is not too bad, especially as you have internet contact with the real world outside,  2 weeks relaxing 'me time' is no hardship for most people, and the journey through Suvanabhumi  to your hotel is certainly an experience, as is the 'pipecleaner' shoved up your nose down the to back of your throat!! don't miss it!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TerryS123 said:

I was willing to quarantine for 7 days but not 14. Am I overreacting?

Perhaps possible experience at the quarantine hotel may make a difference.!

Some are not so flash, others brilliant, check here on this forum as many have shared there experience.

I think you are overreacting.   But, if you are having second thoughts simply because quarantine might be 14 days rather than 7 days then possibly Thailand might not be right for you.  Maybe do some serious thinking if this is really where you want to be--if it is, length of quarantine should not matter. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Just an educated guess, but I think they will reduce quarantine once the majority of at least the most vulnerable (elderly, chronically ill, high risk occupation etc) Thai population is immunized and not before that.

Which will not be in July, but could be later in this year.

I am always curious about this idea, which does frequently pop up in these discussions, that the deciding factor in re-opening to mass tourism will be the immunization status of the Thai population rather than the incoming tourists.

If, by July, the Western countries reach the level, that Israel has already reached, of 10 cases per million per day over a 7 day average, which is the cutoff that countries such as Singapore and Korea consider to be "zero covid", and if full innoculation reduces any remaining risk of transmission by 66%, exactly what biological threat would a plane full of fully-innoculated Westerners pose even to unvaccinated Thais?

Surely that infinitesimal risk would be dwarfed by the risk posed by the continuing, uncontrolled flow of migrant workers from Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia?

Even the current quarantine system is significantly more risky to the Thai population than fully-innoculated passengers from countries with, by July, a background infection level of effectively zero.

I am not saying you are wrong, you hint that you may have inside information, and the Thai authorities do many illogical things. I would, however, be surprised if the Thais made the decision to hand the coming tourism bonanza to their regional competitors. Some cynics have suggested that the current government may be influenced by the Elites, and it is they who stand to gain most from the resumption of mass tourism. Others, more cynical still, have suggested that, with the economy now clearing faltering, the government needs the political lifeline of a summer infusion of filthy farang cash.

Why would the army endanger their grip on power when vaccinated tourists from zero Covid countries pose no biological risk to the population?

13 hours ago, Krabi King said:

Just what I was wondering, HuskerDo.

For many there are reasons not to be here, but they're still here only to complain to be here ????????????

Yea and I suspect that's part of the reason he didn't respond.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It might be 7 days again in July. That is over 2 months away. A lot can change by then.

I think you are overreacting.

My thoughts exactly.  Same thing happened late last year.  They imposed restrictions, etc, but was back to normal within a month.

Phuket is doing mass vaccinations now.  Pushing to being in more doses.  And is really firm on having the sandbox model up and running by July 1st.  I think they'll do it.

But CV19 is a crazy virus.  Who knows.  If that Indian variant takes hold here...hang on.

Worst case, it will cost a bit more but you'll be here.  It's a great time to be in Thailand if you like to travel around.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:13 PM, TerryS123 said:

I have started my Non Imm OA visa process. I have prepared most of my paperwork, purchased my flight, Dr. note, bank info, applications, background check, vaccine, and even paid for 1 year worth of health and covid Insurance. My flight arrives July 2nd. I am considering not going now. I was willing to quarantine for 7 days but not 14. Am I overreacting?

That depends solely on you and why you're coming here.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 1:15 AM, HuskerDo said:

"there are so many reasons not to come to Thailand"... what are those reasons in your opinion Boomer?

If that was me, I would say, far too many reasons to take the time to print them all out.

14 hours ago, rcuthbert said:

OP. Do your research - then go to Vietnam.

Considering that the OP wants to enter Thailand on a retirement visa and that no such visa exists in Vietnam, that's a questionable suggestion.

Historically, a retired person could "live" in Vietnam on consecutive 3-month tourist visas, doing visa runs. But just before the pandemic, plans were being made to stamp tourists in for only 1 month a time, with an option to extend. Nobody knows how this will develop after the pandemic, and currently Vietnam doesn't allow any tourists to enter the country, so the OP couldn't go there anyway.

Personally, for a long-term stay in Thailand, I wouldn't mind if I had to quarantine for one week or for two weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Sheryl said:

As I understand it COE had to be issued before 1 May and you have to arrive before 6 May to fall under the lower quarantine requirement

I just received this email - the highlighting is mine - from the COE people (my COE was issued about two weeks ago):

"According to the outcome of Thailand's Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) meeting, chaired by the Prime Minister on 29 April 2021, the quarantine period for all travellers will be ‘no less than 14 days’ from 1 May 2021 onwards, regardless of residing country or vaccination.

The coethailand.mfa.go.th system has adjusted the period of quarantine shown on your Certificate of Entry (COE) to ‘no less than 14 days’ to comply with Thailand’s latest quarantine measures. If you will stay in an Alternative Quarantine facility such as ASQ, ALQ, AHQ, or GQ, please kindly contact your quarantine facility to manage your booking to prevent any inconvenience caused upon arrival in Thailand."

I arrive after 6 May but this looks quite specific as applying to all arrivals post 1 May.

On 4/30/2021 at 2:36 AM, TerryS123 said:

Not at all concerned about COVID. I have already had it and will be vaccinated before I arrive. I am concerned about 15 nights and paying for the 15 nights. 

If thats all your concerned about, if you can do 7 nights you can do 15. I done it in January as did many 1000s of others went surprisingly quick. look at it as relaxing break, good books to read, music, podcast etc, try to get a room with balcony so you can sit in the sun thats what I did, I hear some hotels do not let you on balcony?

Good luck.

22 hours ago, 473geo said:

Just rock up and do the quarantine, it is not too bad, especially as you have internet contact with the real world outside,  2 weeks relaxing 'me time' is no hardship for most people, and the journey through Suvanabhumi  to your hotel is certainly an experience, as is the 'pipecleaner' shoved up your nose down the to back of your throat!! don't miss it!!!

Are they still doing that one in Thailand? Most countries have moved to a less invasive one that just involves swabbing the tonsils and up the nostrils but not too deep.

27 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Gee Richard, how many times have you had to quarantined? Are you still picking up some work? 

Twice in Thailand, twice overseas....  a necessary evil of having to work along with extended periods away otherwise its not worth it being back here for a week or two...

... quarantine is no fun, but it's easy enough if we don’t allow ourselves to get annoyed or worry about things that are out of our control. 

17 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Are they still doing that one in Thailand? Most countries have moved to a less invasive one that just involves swabbing the tonsils and up the nostrils but not too deep.

I had two eye watering encounters ???? just a little uncomfortable but it was a while ago     

On 4/29/2021 at 10:13 PM, TerryS123 said:

Am I overreacting?

I don't know--how much do you want to be here?

I have friends who go back to the UK for 4 months of the year, re the building trade. They got caught out this time, some with wife and kids here paid and done the Q to come back . but if your only want to come here to holiday , party & Boom sing..... yer leave it another year---try Eastern Europe this summer.

• Like 1