Thailand reports 1,583 new coronavirus cases, 15 new deaths

webfact

2021-04-30T032237Z_1_LYNXMPEH3T03Q_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

People line up to receive their vaccine against the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) at Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok, Thailand April 28, 2021. REUTERS/Jorge Silva

BANGKOK, April 30 (Reuters) - Thailand on Friday reported 1,583 new coronavirus cases, bringing the country's total number of confirmed infections to 65,153 since the pandemic began last year.

Fifteen new deaths were reported, taking total fatalities to 203.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat and Chayut Setboonsarng Editing by Ed Davies)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-04-30

Thailand faces 'tight situation' for hospital beds, those with many COVID-19 symptoms to get priority

"BANGKOK: A shortage of hospital beds in Thailand has put a strain on its public health system as a new wave of COVID-19 infected more than 34,000 patients this month.

On Thursday (Apr 29), the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) reported 1,871 new cases and 10 more deaths. Although the daily case number went below 2,000 for the first time in six days, hospitals are increasingly filled with patients with severe conditions.

“Airborne infection isolation rooms (AIIR) are most equipped for patients with severe conditions who require intubation. Modified AIIRs, which are secondary, can also accommodate those with severe conditions. These two types of rooms are already 70 per cent to 80 per cent (occupied),” deputy director of the Medical Services Department Nattapong Wongwiwat said at a press conference on Tuesday."

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/covid-19-thailand-faces-tight-situation-hospital-beds-14714012

19 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

“Airborne infection isolation rooms (AIIR) are most equipped for patients with severe conditions who require intubation. Modified AIIRs, which are secondary, can also accommodate those with severe conditions. These two types of rooms are already 70 per cent to 80 per cent (occupied),” deputy director of the Medical Services Department Nattapong Wongwiwat said at a press conference on Tuesday."

Hmmm, those 2 types of rooms are 100% full at Rajavithi hospital in Bangkok

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 2

Most of the restrictions below had already been in effect since mid April, but the government announced Thursday it was expanding those to include the ban on sit-down restaurant dining in six provinces and the nationwide expansion of the requirement to wear face masks in all indoor and outdoors public places. Bars, pubs and other entertainment venues nationwide are supposed to remain closed.

1242910099_RestaurantDineInBanned04-29-21m.jpg.672057e436a7d0d36284d84adfeab9e4.jpg

1879006990_ProvinceZones04-29-21e.jpg.26fcbc11f439e6292a302c9ba3d0141d.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

Vaccine update for Friday:

The first section below reflects the total number of doses administered in the most recent day, along with first and second shot subtotals.

The second section below reflects Thailand's cumulative vaccine administration totals, with the same first and second shot subtotals.

Thailand thus far has given first shot vaccinations to about 1.4% of its 70 million population.

Screenshot_10.jpg.cdc2b6a44706669173628ad51e9adeed.jpg

• Sad 1

So quarantine for all foreigners now back to 14 days (which is really 15 days). Reduced quarantine to 7 days for vaccinated now history ????

Does this mean they are blaming this outbreak on reduced quarantine period?

Ridiculous when everyone knows it's a local problem along with border issues with Myanmar and Cambodia...

The newly empowered Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan ocha has moved to reinstate the mandatory 14 day quarantine period for all foreigners entering Thailand after May 6th

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2021/04/30/wave-scuppers-thailands-tourism-reopening/

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Personally I feel optimistic since historically, Thailand has handled the pandemic better than most other countries (except for the vaccine rollout) in spite of short-term glitches. 

Hope you are correct....the only fly in the ointment is this UK variant being more transmissible.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

I feel very sorry for the health care workers. Most are not vaccinated and they are exposed to the  infected.

How do you know most health care workers aren't vaccinated?

I was quite surprised this week, I was chatting to the ex and all the staff at the local "anaamai" have been vaccinated and are now canvassing the moobaan for vaccinations for May.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Hope you are correct....the only fly in the ointment is this UK variant being more transmissible.

I wonder just how much more transmissible and virulent the UK strain really is?  I mean, I've no doubt it is more so, but I think the Press and certain public officials like to hype it up beyond what Science really supports, ya know? 

As for the Press, getting people into an emotional frenzy sells more airtime; it's as simple as that IMO.  And as far as certain public officials go, it's a lot easier to control the public when they are in a state of emotional hysteria than it is when they are thinking rationally.  Just my personal take on things of course ????

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I wonder just how much more transmissible and virulent the UK strain really is?  I mean, I've no doubt it is more so, but I think the Press and certain officials like to hype it up beyond what Science really supports, ya know? 

As for the Press, getting people into an emotional frenzy sells more airtime; it's as simple as that IMO.  And as far as certain public officials go, it's a lot more easy to control the public when they are in a state of emotional hysteria than it is when they are thinking rationally.  Just my personal take on things of course ????

If the original is graded as 1 then the UK variant is graded as 1.7.......(I read somewhere)....what that means and, more importantly, what implications this has for 'us' I am not too sure.

Reflected in the light blue shaded boxes, 28,696 COVID positive patients in some kind of hospital facility, with 871 in critical condition, and 250 of those on respirators. 203 total deaths, including 109 now in just the current month.

The first chart below reflects Thailand's total COVID case numbers since the beginning of the pandemic in early 2020. The second chart reflects Thailand's case numbers for its third wave outbreak that began at the beginning of April 2021.

Screenshot_3.jpg.0b0794bd7fd20b67cb4fbd89c5d6fb39.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg.6842426d1516324fc9fe174a7249e25f.jpg