Thailand’s third COVID-19 wave has already peaked: CCSA

webfact

5 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Hold your horses!

It's around 3,000 deaths per day which, given the size of the Indian population, is roughly the same as the 800 daily deaths in the US, and less than the 300 daily deaths in France.

That was a couple of days ago, its now well over 3.5k a day deaths and increasing daily but hey lets not concern ourselves eh, we can always compare it to developed countries with their healthcare advantage

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, retsdon said:

Thailand has a test rate of 3,000 per million people. The UK by comparison has a rate of 2,067,509 per million (2 tests per head).

no prizes for guessing who will find the most cases.

It's 116,000 per one million according to worldometers up from 17,000 just over a month ago. 3rd larger wave due to increased testing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, polpott said:

During the first wave, I didn't hear of 1 person who contracted Covid in Pattaya. During this current wave I know several people personally who have contracted Covid, thankfully none have died. Its considerably more prevalent now than it has been before.

Possibly because its a different variant? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

Could easily be that the possibility of being detained in a field hospital puts the fear of God into everyone and they comply with Covid mandates.

To be quite honest, my wife (and most of her friends) are terrified of catching Covid, and the fear of having to go into  a "field hospital" also compounds that situation. Hence, a year ago, most people were "sticking to the rules", and Covid infections were very low. In contrast, in the UK, "raves" were allowed to happen and the police seemed to be able to do nothing about large social gatherings, where people seemed to think that there was nothing to worry about - "It's just the flu - it happens every year!" Hence the astronomical figures in the UK compared to Thailand.

This year, in Thailand, instead of "postponing" or "banning" Songkran, the PM in his "wisdom" decided to let the Thai people travel freely backward and forwards to their homes to celebrate and pay merit with their families - the result (IMO) seems to be an alarming increase in infections. (OK, maybe a fish market had something to do with it)

Still, the PM and Deputy PM (Health Minister/Engineer) have had it under control all along, so there's nothing to worry about  - is there? 

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

Possibly because its a different variant? 

The so called UK variant is 1.5 times more virulent than the original Covid. Enough to make a difference but not as much difference as that which we are currently seeing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Petey11 said:

Thai authorities need to package and sell their secret formula to defeating all strains of covid. One of the few countries in the world who can contain the UK variant in such a short time with no major restrictions. TIT, well done.

Yes 6 weeks from the start to the end, just magnificent work they are doing.  The rest of the world must truly be in awe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why has South East Asia been impacted less severely ??? - this is a big question, I believe the answer comes down to an evolved immunity and genetics (i.e. South East asians have 4 specific missing genes which are prevalent in those who suffered severely with Covid-19 - This theory is referenced in the paper linked below).

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2818-3_reference.pdf

Interesting theory but I don't think genetics has anything to do with it. Asians in Western countries are actually more likely to catch and die from covid-19. And as far as I'm aware Westerners living in Thailand are not more likely to catch or die from it. So it's more likely to be the heat and humidity and perhaps also exposure to Dengue as a result of mosquito bites.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Haha 1

It is because the ordinsry Thai is sh,,,,,t scared of catching it & having to go into a field hospital that have been shown relentlessy on free TV

The HI SO's of course are a different kettle of fish & nobody "tells me what to do"

hence the 4th wave coming about the end of May. Arrogant Barstewards

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

By all accounts and reports, there are still plenty of general hospital beds available in Thailand.

What they're running short of are critical care and air isolation beds to treat seriously ill COVID patients.

This was a report from the MoPH today on Bangkok hospital bed occupancy by bed type up through April 28:

954792820_04-30-21HospitalBedsinBKKTight3.jpg.9537efc463d4f474ca897ac2c1a0dd13.jpg

Hospitals in Bangkok are not full. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

people will stay at home and die there, will not show at the hospitals, hence the improbable low numbers

Just watched the afternoon news on TNN 16, showed them pulling two dead bodies from a house they said were covid related, everyone in PPE's and the entire mooban being sanitized and sprayed.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

The hospitals in Thailand are always full. Its been like that ever since I first started coming here.

But they are not overflowing which they would be if covid was running rampant as some suspect.

Then why are the numbers in the hospitals for Covid rising and beds scarce for those needing treatment, and field hospitals and Hopitels filling up with folks.  General wards are for treatment of other than Covid .  The Covid patients number in the many of thousands as well as hundreds of those those in the ICU and then there are the few hundred of those on respirators, guess it is all smoke and mirrors.  Dream another dream and pinch yourself to wake up to the true reality.

Covid-19 patients in Bangkok sent to other provinces due to overcrowded hospitals | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The point I wish to make with the above comments is that anecdotal information while interesting is not representative of the bigger picture. 

A good point, but it was surrounded by your own idle speculations and many anecdotes! 

Edited by PGSan

11 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Hospitals in Bangkok are not full. 

a true denier of facts and stats.  I guess the reports on the news and in the papers is all fake.

Covid-19 patients in Bangkok sent to other provinces due to overcrowded hospitals | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Haha 2