Thailand’s third COVID-19 wave has already peaked: CCSA

webfact

I had an appointment yesterday early afternoon at an eye clinic which is a joint government-temple effort. I'd say there were 10 or 15 % of the usual number of patients waiting; the probable reason has to be that Thais just don't want to be around large groups at this time. On the way in we had to answer a large check list of things we had been doing lately. One wrong answer and I think we would not have been admitted; luckily we've been careful.

Also interesting, I reside near Nana BTS. Behind our building is a large hotel complex handling, as far as I can tell, quarantine persons; can see bag meals set out in the lobby every night, to go to the rooms I presume.  On the other side in front across the street is a famous old hotel with something possibly more serious-I've seen persons in full PPE outfits gathering up large green cans of waste similar to what they are wearing and organizing it into really big black plastic bags for disposal. I haven't heard of anyone in our large building being told anything. All does make me want to be careful. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, PGSan said:

Which ‘asians’ is that?  big place, don’t yer know! 

Ok so a good comparison would be Chinese people living in any Western country and people living in Bangkok who genetically are predominantly Chinese. How would the Chinese-Thais be genetically immune but Chinese people in other parts of the world not so?

40 minutes ago, PGSan said:
46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The point I wish to make with the above comments is that anecdotal information while interesting is not representative of the bigger picture. 

A good point, but it was surrounded by your own idle speculations and many anecdotes! 

Which served the very purpose of highlighting how contradictory individual anecdotal information can be... 

I’m glad you got the point ! ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

COVID-19 infections has already peaked and the overall situation is stabilizing,

Oh really and I wonder what this situation, quoted below, might do to "infection figures" in the forthcoming weeks???

MAE SARIANG, Thailand (Reuters) -Thousands of ethnic Karen villagers in Myanmar are poised to cross into Thailand if, as expected, fighting intensifies between the Myanmar army and Karen insurgents, joining those who have already escaped the turmoil that followed a Feb. 1 coup. (Friday 30th April 2021)

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/thousands-myanmar-villagers-poised-flee-004732416.html

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

a good comparison would be Chinese people living in any Western country and people living in Bangkok

Sounds reasonable.  But even the Chinese are hugely diverse and maybe those in a given other country differ markedly from those in Bangkok?

3 hours ago, grandpa said:

I cannot understand how Thailand can control this virus so quickly when most of the rest of the world (who incidentally do a huge amount of testing by comparison) are still struggling to put the lid on it!  And if the figures are correct, why aren't world leaders calling in their droves to discover the secret of success?

Jealousy?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, polpott said:

My daughter and her husband work in UK hospitals and would completely disagree with you. 3 people known to me personally, have died from Covid.

By virtue of the fact that both your daughter and her husband work in the medical field, the chances of them (and yourself) knowing people that have been infected and died from Covid must be higher than the average person. Sorry about the 3 people that you knew - it's not just 'flu as some would have you believe.

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Humidity and Dengue link is a possibility, however, while Dengue is more prevalent in South East Asia than the UK, how many people suffer or have suffered from Dengue which would significantly reduce the serious cases of Covid-19 ?

Additionally, Dengue is more prevalent in Indian than Thailand, thus that theory may not hold water. The same can be said of Humidity. 

There is definitely a reason why South East Asia has escaped the level severity of Covid-19 that has been experienced in Europe, and the Americas.

There is enough overlap in climatic conditions (i.e. India and Brazil) to indicate climate is not significant enough alone to reduce the impact of Covid-19.

Greater prevalence of Mask Wearing and contactless greetings has been discussed - I don’t buy that. 

I really do suspect a genetic advantage carried by East Asians which makes them less susceptible. I suspect the numbers have already been high in areas of East Asia while serious cases and deaths have not been high. Testing has generally been low so the case severity and case fatality rates in East Asia may not be truly known. 

I don't think you can discount heat, humidity and Dengue just because these are all factors in India. Covid-19 spreads in crowded conditions which are very common in India like in markets, political rallies and religious events. It is also spread in Thailand in crowded conditions like boxing stadiums and nightclubs. If you try to minimise those crowds then the spread of covid-19 is likely to be very limited. The problem for India was that they didn't act soon enough when cases started to rise.

As for genetics, a quick Google reveals that Asian Americans are no better or worse off than white Americans when it comes to covid-19 cases. I believe the majority of Asian Americans are East Asian so I can't see how you can argue the East Asians have any innate immunity advantage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

Hold your horses!

It's around 3,000 deaths per day which, given the size of the Indian population, is roughly the same as the 800 daily deaths in the US, and less than the 300 daily deaths in France.

Yeah, sorry -- I meant to say "cases"!

Total cases  
18.8M

Recovered
15.4M

Deaths
  • Like 1

As for "cases by race", the LA Times has an update page every day. Asians in CA have the lowest numbers per 100,000 persons. Whites are a few percentage points higher than Asians. "Black and other" are about 25% higher than whites. The number for Latino is 2 1/2 times the number for whites. Make of it what you will. I'm computer bad or I would link, but it is easy to look up. Oh, and the page is not at all just about race, that's just one of many graphs.

Edited by Enzian
Clarify
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, PGSan said:

Sounds reasonable.  But even the Chinese are hugely diverse and maybe those in a given other country differ markedly from those in Bangkok?

Possibly but most of the Chinese diaspora can trace their origins back to the southern China area near Guangzhou so I'm not sure that would be a factor.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

54 minutes ago, rabas said:

Every death in Thailand is recorded by law. This law is written in the bluebook and is the responsibility of the bluebook (house) owner. Every Thai is in someone's bluebook.

Vast numbers of unrecorded deaths is fantasy, just like vast numbers of covid cases that never appear anywhere.  

I'm sure you're thinking of the theory, which in a 1st world country, might just work.

Last week my wife's life long friend died in his late 30s, in a farming community in the North/Central region.

Sadly he was renowned for being a 'lao khao' lover, so the 'Pu Yai' didn't even call the police.

Burned a few days later.....never reported.

I'm not making this up.

• Confused 2