Finance Ministry Reduces New 2021 Economic Growth Forecast to 2.3%

webfact

3f345f9e0cf0cbbc513dc2b899df618f_small.jpg

By Paphamon Arayasukawat

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Finance Ministry has reduced its 2021 economic growth forecast for a second time to 2.3% from 2.8% growth, after a third wave of coronavirus infections struck Thailand this month.

Fiscal Policy Office (FPO) Director-General Kulaya Tantitemit said the ministry slashed its forecast for the number of foreign tourists to only 2 million this year from 5 million it had predicted three months ago.

She said the expected fewer tourists will have quite an impact as that will cut tourism money to just over 100 billion baht from 260 billion baht previously projected. The latest outbreak has seen half of its overall cases reported this month alone and came as the country was preparing to reopen more broadly to foreign tourists, as vaccinations increase globally.

The Director-General said inoculations at home and abroad could provide some support. The distribution of vaccines is very important as it will be positive for economic activity. The Finance Ministry also expects the economy to expand more late in the third quarter or early in the fourth quarter.

nnt.jpg

• Haha 2

2 million this year from 5 million it had predicted three months ago.

She said the expected fewer tourists will have quite an impact as that will cut tourism money to just over 100 billion baht from 260 billion

Should be 104 Billion but what's 4 Billion plus or minus.

Edited by AlfHuy

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Finance Ministry has reduced its 2021 economic growth forecast for a second time to 2.3% from 2.8% growth, after a third wave of coronavirus infections struck Thailand this month.

Been predicting 0 or minus growth this year since the start of the year, I'll stick with a big fat zero - especially now the PM is talking opening next year.

Just now, RichardColeman said:

Been predicting 0 or minus growth this year since the start of the year, I'll stick with a big fat zero - especially now the PM is talking opening next year.

Richard for Minister of Finance of Head of the Bank of Thailand.

Go and buy your General uniform.

My vote you have.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Richard for Minister of Finance of Head of the Bank of Thailand.

Go and buy your General uniform.

My vote you have.

Listen if us armchair critics can predict the flaming obvious, then what the 'professionals' get paid large salaries for is anyone's guess. Me getting a prefix General would only lead me to promoting garbage figures to stay in line with company policy.

45 minutes ago, webfact said:

Fiscal Policy Office (FPO) Director-General Kulaya Tantitemit said the ministry slashed its forecast for the number of foreign tourists to only 2 million this year from 5 million it had predicted three months ago.

...actually, the numbers were cut from 6.5million to 4million only 6 days ago.

Today they are revised down from 5million to 2million...guys, please get on the same page.

I think we can all see the trend and that is will end up less than 1million.

• Haha 1