Bangkok to inoculate 50,000 people per day, vaccinating 70% of its population

snoop1130

14 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

70% of 66,000,000 people = 46,200,000 people /50,000 jabs per day = 924 days /365 days per year = 2.5 years to vaccinate 70% of the population.

What about the other 30%?

Migrants illegally entering Thailand?

Tourists?

If you read the article well they said would innoculate Bangkok not Thailand. One's a city other a country at the rate of 50,000persons daily.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

There are not 66 million people living in Bangkok.

About 13mill but still at 50.000 a day it will take a long time . Other counties they do 500.000 a day so they should ramp it up a bit (ordering and vaccinations)

First I hope both Thais and foreigners can get the vaccine as soon as possible. Im confused by the wording of some of the news stories. Some say both Thais and foreigners will be eligible for the vaccine. Then some of the stories when referring to the vaccine, refer to only Thais. Then there was another story saying that hospitals have submitted patient information for vaccine registration. 

There seems to be no clear cut procedure how foreigners will receive vaccines. With all these different news stories floating around.  Who is going  to give a specific answer what to do?  Or do we have to just decide ourselves which news story might be accurate?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

70% of 66,000,000 people = 46,200,000 people /50,000 jabs per day = 924 days /365 days per year = 2.5 years to vaccinate 70% of the population.

Tourists?

Also, theres no herd immunity with Covid-19.  One person might get a mutated version that evades Astra and the extremely poor Chinese vaccines.

Just vaccinate everyone.  

Also they recommend booster shots in 6 months.  You need to start producing and ordering more vaccines now!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Susco said:

So what's the problem?

Sinovac is considered a mediocre vaccine among the "medical experts" this forum is full of, so better they give it to politicians instead of first line workers we don't want to lose.

the problem is that Sinivac was all that was immediately available here (and even today, still is) and they could not delay vaccinating the health workers waiting for AZ production.

• Thanks 1

One wonders why the Thai authorities insist on putting out targets for them to invariably miss. Competency here reminds me of parties in breweries. No number is ever achieved, the target is simply replaced by a lower number in a few days, weeks or months.

1 hour ago, swm59nj said:

First I hope both Thais and foreigners can get the vaccine as soon as possible. Im confused by the wording of some of the news stories. Some say both Thais and foreigners will be eligible for the vaccine. Then some of the stories when referring to the vaccine, refer to only Thais. Then there was another story saying that hospitals have submitted patient information for vaccine registration. 

There seems to be no clear cut procedure how foreigners will receive vaccines. With all these different news stories floating around.  Who is going  to give a specific answer what to do?  Or do we have to just decide ourselves which news story might be accurate?

both Thais and foreigners living in Thailand are eligible.

The app for pre-registration, supposedly working from today, is for Thais. Another version for foreigners is "under development".

I am doubtful of how well registration apps will work in any case.  And in some parts of the country, pre-registration is likely not going to happen, either. I already asked govt health workers where I live, answer was "you have to wait until we get vaccine,"  no pre-registration. The very idea of it did not compute with them. Might be different in different areas.

The plan is to first vaccinate people over 60 and people with chronic diseases. If you fit either of those criteria, your best recourse is to ask at your local hospital if you can register for the vaccine and see what they say. It is also possible to get on the waiting list of some private hospitals and clinics in Bangkok, see thread on this inthe health forum.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Tourists?

it's 70% of Bangkok population, it doesn't mention Thailand population, now the question is : what's Bangkok population

Bangkok plans to inoculate 70% of its inhabitants, at the rate of 50,000 people per day.

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Population of Bangkok is  a little under 11 million.

Presumably they mean only the adult population which is about 60-70% of the total.

Would take about 6-  7 months to fully immunize 70% of the adult population of Bangkok at 50,000 a day. 

There will be issues arising from the fact that a very high percenatge of people living in Bangkok  are listed on their ID as living elsewhere.

Not very feasible or desirable to have hordes of people crisscrossing the country (as happens for elections) on this account.

you forgot that they need 2, not 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

both Thais and foreigners living in Thailand are eligible.

The app for pre-registration, supposedly working from today, is for Thais. Another version for foreigners is "under development".

I am doubtful of how well registration apps will work in any case.  And in some parts of the country, pre-registration is likely not going to happen, either. I already asked govt health workers where I live, answer was "you have to wait until we get vaccine,"  no pre-registration. The very idea of it did not compute with them. Might be different in different areas.

The plan is to first vaccinate people over 60 and people with chronic diseases. If you fit either of those criteria, your best recourse is to ask at your local hospital if you can register for the vaccine and see what they say. It is also possible to get on the waiting list of some private hospitals and clinics in Bangkok, see thread on this inthe health forum.

I did register on surveys from a few of the private hospitals in Bangkok a while ago. I go to Bumrungrad Hospital for my medical needs. The last conversation with them this week was. The people who registered on the survey were submitted, to what I believe was the government. There was a news article a few days ago saying private hospitals now were not going to be allowed to purchase a vaccine. 

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

For those who may be wondering - the term used in Thai for chronic disease wrongly translates in google translate as congenital disease.

Congenital diseases have nothing whatsoever to do with it. Wish the English language media would get the translation corrected as it is very misleading. But as they have been mistranslating this from day one it is likely to continue.

Is there a way to inform Google about these errors? I have noticed that "toom" is translated as "PM", so translation says "2 PM" instead of "8 PM".

17 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Tourists?

I don't know where you get your figures from, and I know Bangkok has a large population, but 66,000,000? The latest figure I could find from the National Statistics Centre:-

"Bangkok's 2021 population is now estimated at 10,722,815." 

(Maybe you are getting confused with Thailand's total population which stands at around 70,000,000?)

4 hours ago, hioctane said:

LOL. People need to learn math.

Population of Bangok in 2021: 10.7M

Eligible population.. Adults (about 80%): 8.56M

Target 70%: 6M

@ 50,000 a day = 120 days (~ 4 months)

Have you remembered that AZ needs 2 jabs per person? It would take 8 months!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

In all vaccinations, the target is 70% of a population. That is the estimated time when things will start getting back to normal and the virus grinds to halt in spreading. Of course, they will continue vaccinating.

Also, you overestimate how many Thais actually travel abroad.

Bangkok does not exist in a vacuum. What about the rest of Thailand? Maybe up country people will have to get tested and do 14-day quarantine to visit Bangkok??? The 30% unvaccinated Bangkokians will otherwise be vulnerable to infection from us up country folks. 

• Haha 1

That is not what efficacy means. AZ vaccines prevents 100% of the vaccinated from needing hospitalization. Sinovac prevents 80%+. 

These statistics are subject to change when variants such as the double-mutation gain currency in Thailand. 70% is a minimum figure anyway. Fauci and others speak of 80-85% of the entire population, which here means children, migrant workers, and foreigners. The percentage needed depends on the infectiousness of the virus.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I don/t understand. Mr Prayuth said that the standard vaccination would be Astra Zenica, but they use a lot of Sinovac too...Or do they relabel the sinovac??

Many people believe the Sinovax to be dangerous, even causing death apart from being as low as 50% efficacy... so what’s the vaccine on offer...

Edited by onthedarkside
political comments removed
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Tourists?

Read the title: 70% of Bangkok population. 10.700.000 / 70% is 7490000/ 50000= 150 days meaning if start June/ July they busy till December easily

Sure forget tourism in 21. Somewhere half 22 maybe 

1 hour ago, placnx said:

Have you remembered that AZ needs 2 jabs per person? It would take 8 months!

And if AZ which most will get once available by Siam in June-July if not more delay the second shot is now 8 to 12 weeks after first.

As then get proven more immunity

32 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

apart from being as low as 50% efficacy... so what’s the vaccine on offer because many would refuse the China Vaccine .

From What I have read...(reports from Brazil)--the biggest testing area- other than China. Yes your right terryofcrete- the efficacy  has been lower than the other vaccines, but the ones that have had that jab and still contacted Covid. It hasn't been nearly as server as non vaccinated people who have contacted Covid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swm59nj said:

I did register on surveys from a few of the private hospitals in Bangkok a while ago. I go to Bumrungrad Hospital for my medical needs. The last conversation with them this week was. The people who registered on the survey were submitted, to what I believe was the government. There was a news article a few days ago saying private hospitals now were not going to be allowed to purchase a vaccine. 

The Thai government is saying there will be a subsequent phase of vaccinations for non-Thais, the details and timing of which have yet to be announced.

The notion of paying for imported vaccines from private hospitals remains unclear at this point. The government is insisting they're not blocking that, but private hospitals are complaining the government is ignoring and hampering their efforts. And thus far, AFAIK, not one private hospital in Thailand has been able to source their own vaccine supply as yet.

It's possible some farangs, especially those with Thai ID cards and numbers, may be able to get themselves included in the upcoming Thai phase of vaccinations. Thus far, there have been conflicting reports of success with that in the very early going.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, MrMo said:

Now let's be fair.   He said "Bangkok".   That will take only 9 months,   Bangkok may then be able to attract tourists again by next March.   At least it will be in time for Songkran 2022.

As to us lot out in the boonies, your guess is as good as mine as to when we will get the needle.

The population in the boonies will be forgotten about the same as we are forgotten about when it comes to services such as electricity supply, garbage collection and water supply. How can they just single out Bangkok to be vaccinated first when many Thais and Foreigners are desperate to get out of the villages and do some domestic tourism. Are they going to ban un vaccinated people from entering Bangkok. They did not stop Bangkokonians from spreading the virus into the Provinces when it was Songkran.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, keithkarmann said:

The population in the boonies will be forgotten about the same as we are forgotten about when it comes to services such as electricity supply, garbage collection and water supply. How can they just single out Bangkok to be vaccinated first when many Thais and Foreigners are desperate to get out of the villages and do some domestic tourism. Are they going to ban un vaccinated people from entering Bangkok. They did not stop Bangkokonians from spreading the virus into the Provinces when it was Songkran.

Where they say, that only BKK people are vacinated?
This only mean that this is the plan for BKK. Other provinces also have their own plan!

• Like 2

Read the article before spouting.

He is talking Bangkok.

At present it is all pie in the sky !!!

I am sure they can do it but the great wrangling over who gets who needs to end

so they can concentrate on the job in hand when & if this kind of quantity will become available

I reckon end of JUly before 500,000 jabs a day will become available for nationwide distribution

21 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I don/t understand. Mr Prayuth said that the standard vaccination would be Astra Zenica, but they use a lot of Sinovac too...Or do they relabel the sinovac??

That's actually a funny image - some impromptu warehouse where labels are being photocopied and slapped onto vials. But for all his failings, I doubt he is that dangerously irresponsible

On 5/1/2021 at 7:09 AM, IamNoone88 said:

70% of a population (any size distribution) at 50% efficacy = 35% of the entire distribution unlikely to need hospitalization for sickness while the remaining 65% remains exposed to sickness requiring hospitalization..

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-13/are-china-s-covid-shots-less-effective-experts-size-up-sinovac

Russell: The Sinovac study was to look at how the vaccine works against the entire range of clinical symptoms, from mild infections to severe ones, including death. The efficacy data of about 50% is for very mild disease, requiring no treatment. For infections requiring some medical intervention, it’s about 84% and for moderate-to-severe Covid cases, it’s 100%.

That’s what you expect from Covid vaccines -- higher efficacy against more severe infections and lower against milder ones. From what I can see, it looks like a very worthwhile vaccine. The problem with the data is it didn’t include many old people or many people with co-morbidities.