Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

OK your very optimistic predictions are on record.

Quite obviously, I don't share them.

Predictions don't really matter anyway.

We'll just have to see.

Totally agree...we just have to wait and see.  My optimism is simply based on an attitude of expecting the best but being prepared for the worst, and basing everything as much as possible on facts, not unsubstantiated rumors.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

I noticed the other day that people (Thai Nationals only) were being vaccinated outdoors along the Beach road in Jomtien! 

On 5/21/2021 at 7:01 PM, TaaSaparot said:

Its one of the four main vaccination venues.

But there seems to be pop up venues all over town, including Dongtan Beach

188509627_4484650354879007_3146302813180972533_n.jpg.5e3145939fc84f30a394b272e65baa24.jpg

• Like 1

A post with a link to Bangkok Post has been removed:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Interesting change in wording today from the CCSA regarding expat registration:  "...expats can register their intentions...".  The sentence ends right there with no explanation of what that really means! 

Just what does that mean?  I thought we were registering for vaccinations but now it seems they are saying we are registering our "intention".  Intention for what?  Are we really registering our intention to register?

That change of wording sounds uncomfortably suspicious IMO.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Sad 1

I was listening to the news on 103 in the car earlier on and there were two new items to me.

1) To try and get first doses into as many arms as possible, the time gap between the two injections will be increased to up to 16 weeks.

2) To try and make their limited vaccine supplies go further, they will be reducing the amount given below the officially recommended dose.

Both measures have been approved by the Thai medicine regulator, but I wonder what AZ would have to say on the dosage reduction? This does not look good for us Pattaya old geezers, anyway, not only are we  stuck at the back of the queue, regardless of how clinically vulnerable you are, and also not allowed to buy vaccines from a private hospital, but now they're going to mess around with  all manner of things that might render the vaccines much less effective, if and when we are ever permitted to receive a dose.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Interesting change in wording today from the CCSA regarding expat registration:  "...expats can register their intentions...".  The sentence ends right there with no explanation of what that really means! 

Just what does that mean?  I thought we were registering for vaccinations but now it seems they are saying we are registering our "intention".  Intention for what?  Are we really registering our intention to register?

That change of wording sounds uncomfortably suspicious IMO.

I'll try to avoid saying I told you so but as I said before the previous announcements were vague and seemed to offer plenty of wiggle room. But even in the rare cases of very clear definitive statements containing specific information the truth is stuff isn't real unless and until it actually happens.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I realize you used flu shot just as an example, but I would be careful about that one:

Should I mix the flu shot with the COVID-19 vaccine? | WOWK 13 News (wowktv.com)

I realise that's one opinion but in the UK, while they had said earlier to allow 7 days between Covid vaccinations and other types, they've since updated that to say they can be given together.

GPs can give COVID and flu jabs at same time, says NHS England

57 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I was listening to the news on 103 in the car earlier on and there were two new items to me.

1) To try and get first doses into as many arms as possible, the time gap between the two injections will be increased to up to 16 weeks.

2) To try and make their limited vaccine supplies go further, they will be reducing the amount given below the officially recommended dose.

Both measures have been approved by the Thai medicine regulator, but I wonder what AZ would have to say on the dosage reduction? This does not look good for us Pattaya old geezers, anyway, not only are we  stuck at the back of the queue, regardless of how clinically vulnerable you are, and also not allowed to buy vaccines from a private hospital, but now they're going to mess around with  all manner of things that might render the vaccines much less effective, if and when we are ever permitted to receive a dose.

That sounds CRAZY!  All of the manufacturers have very STRICT guidelines for administration of the vaccines.  I would not rely on that information being valid until they announce it in a  OFFICIAL CCSA briefing. 

It sounds like another example of the terribly unprofessional news reporting going on in Thailand right now.  Until officially verified, it shouldn't be spread on a forum like this where unfounded rumors spread like wildfire.

BTW, 103 Always Pattaya is one of the worst offenders of fake news IMO!  I recall numerous occasions where they have seriously misreported the news causing much upset, and requiring a retraction the next day!

Everyone should only rely on official sources of news like the daily briefings in English from the CCSA

Edited by WaveHunter

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'll try to avoid saying I told you so but as I said before the previous announcements were vague and seemed to offer plenty of wiggle room. But even in the rare cases of very clear definitive statements containing specific information the truth is stuff isn't real unless and until it actually happens.

Well, in all fairness, I don't really know what it means, but it only reinforces my desire to get vaccinated through a private hospital with a western vaccine, even if I have to wait longer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Well, in all fairness, I don't really know what it means, but it only reinforces my desire to get vaccinated through a private hospital with a western vaccine, even if I have to wait longer.

You're making my point for me.

We really don't know what any of these announcements really mean.

Some people seem to be taking such words way too literally.

We don't know what's real unless and until it actually happens in real life.

Not only about Thailand vaccine announcements of course but in this particular case the government is obviously dealing with a very challenging situation plus with the English stuff there is the lost in translation element.

As far as you personally not really caring about the announced upcoming registration or whatever it is, that's fine of course. But I'm sure many expats do care and hope to register in June for a vaccine who knows when.

OK now.

I have a relevant report.

It is not my report.

It is a summary of a credible person's report.

In normal times, people might wonder at the value of reports like this.

These aren't normal times. 

I think we take information clues and crumbs that we can get.

Summary

Bangkok Hospital Pattaya

Will take registrations online

The idea is to prevent the need for people to visit to register

They may or may not be ready to do that by June 7, the official date that was announced nationality. But they expect to be have it online that date or not too long after that date.

Not reported: Is this going to be one of the local hospitals to be designated to take registrations from people not on record with them already?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

" They may or may not be ready to do that by June 7.  They expect to have it online by that date or not too long after that date ".   Thanks for the relevant credible update and I hope you feel reassured and can relax now, only 12 days for you to wait.  Or possibly longer.  

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

You're making my point for me.

We really don't know what any of these announcements really mean.

Some people seem to be taking such words way too literally.

We don't know what's real unless and until it actually happens in real life.

Not only about Thailand vaccine announcements of course but in this particular case the government is obviously dealing with a very challenging situation plus with the English stuff there is the lost in translation element.

As far as you personally not really caring about the announced upcoming registration or whatever it is, that's fine of course. But I'm sure many expats do care and hope to register in June for a vaccine who knows when.

...and you are making my point for me ????  There is no reason to be upset or in a state of angst over the situation right now.  We just have to be patient and let the situation unfold.

I've been in Thailand long enough (and I'm sure you have been as well) to know that Thailand has its' own way of doing things.  Taking Immigration policies as an example, when they first institute a policy change, everything said is confusing and contradictory, but over time, it becomes clarified.

Over the coming weeks I'm sure everything will start to make sense, and personally I'm hoping that the option of going through private hospitals with a Western vaccine becomes a reality.

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OK now.

I have a relevant report.

It is not my report.

It is a summary of a credible person's report.

In normal times, people might wonder at the value of reports like this.

These aren't normal times. 

I think we take information clues and crumbs that we can get.

Summary

Bangkok Hospital Pattaya

Will take registrations online

The idea is to prevent the need for people to visit to register

They may or may not be ready to do that by June 7, the official date that was announced nationality. But they expect to be have it online that date or not too long after that date.

Not reported: Is this going to be one of the local hospitals to be designated to take registrations from people not on record with them already?

No offence, but it's a big mistake to take the word of a third party, no matter how credible they seem to be if it conflicts with what the hospital itself says.

I was in contact with Bangkok Hospital Pattaya on Monday (24 May).  I asked both by phone, and then by email if they would be providing registration to expats with records on file, and also to expats without records on file.  I also asked specifically if they would be doing it online instead of in-person, such as ViMut hospital in Bangkok seems to be doing.

They basically said that nothing could be said at this time, but to follow their website and social media for announcements.

This is their emailed response:

"...Please be informed that there is no vaccination provided from the government yet. We shall announce on our website once we are open for the private vaccination or reservation.

We shall keep updated on our Facebook page once it becomes available.

Thank you very much,

BPH Admin team ..."

If they are not willing to share any more pertinent details when queried by phone and email, I have to be suspect of your "credible person's report" 

No offence intended to you personally; I'm just saying that the only credible source is the hospital itself (or an official announcement by the CCSA), but not an unidentified third party.

Again, I say that the best strategy is simply to be patient and wait for official announcements, and not jump at "hearsay" type of information.

Edited by WaveHunter

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

No offence, but it's a big mistake to take the word of a third party, no matter how credible they seem to be if it conflicts with what the hospital itself says.

I was in contact with Bangkok Hospital Pattaya on Monday (24 May).  I asked both by phone, and then by email if they would be providing registration to expats with records on file, and also to expats without records on file.  I also asked specifically if they would be doing it online instead of in-person, such as ViMut hospital in Bangkok seems to be doing.

They basically said that nothing could be said at this time, but to follow their website and social media for announcements.

This is their emailed response:

"...Please be informed that there is no vaccination provided from the government yet. We shall announce on our website once we are open for the private vaccination or reservation.

We shall keep updated on our Facebook page once it becomes available.

Thank you very much,

BPH Admin team ..."

If they are not willing to share any more pertinent details when queried by phone and email, I have to be suspect of your "credible person's report" 

No offence intended to you personally; I'm just saying that the only credible source is the hospital itself (or an official announcement by the CCSA), but not an unidentified third party.

Again, I say that the best strategy is simply to be patient and wait for official announcements, and not jump at "hearsay" type of information.

Your communication was on Monday. I think the report I summarized came after that. They really weren't very different. Watch the website starting June 7! 

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

...and you are making my point for me ????  There is no reason to be upset or in a state of angst over the situation right now.  We just have to be patient and let the situation unfold.

I've been in Thailand long enough (and I'm sure you have been as well) to know that Thailand has its' own way of doing things.  Taking Immigration policies as an example, when they first institute a policy change, everything said is confusing and contradictory, but over time, it becomes clarified.

Over the coming weeks I'm sure everything will start to make sense, and personally I'm hoping that the option of going through private hospitals with a Western vaccine becomes a reality.

I'm really not welcoming psychological advice from anonymous forum members. You're you. You repeatedly stated that you're OK waiting a long time for a Western vaccine. Other people feel differently particularly about AstraZeneca. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Your communication was on Monday. I think the report I summarized came after that. They really weren't very different. Watch the website starting June 7! 

Even so, there is currently no mention of it on their website or social media pages, and I think if they are going to do it, they will announce it well in advance of June 7, and the CCSA will surely annonce it before then as well.  At least that would be my guess.

Edited by WaveHunter

5 hours ago, kinyara said:

" They may or may not be ready to do that by June 7.  They expect to have it online by that date or not too long after that date ".   Thanks for the relevant credible update and I hope you feel reassured and can relax now, only 12 days for you to wait.  Or possibly longer.  

Perhaps that was sarcastic but maybe this clarification will help.

The report stated that hospital is shooting for June 7 to have an online registration system in place.  But they are not confident that they will meet that date but expect if late it will only be a few days late.

Yes, we'll have to wait and see what actually happens as always.

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Even so, there is currently no mention of it on their website or social media pages, and I think if they are going to do it, they will announce it well in advance of June 7, and the CCSA will surely annonce it before then as well.  At least that would be my guess.

The report I cited didn’t promise website info before June 7 or shortly thereafter. 

Wait and see.

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm really not welcoming psychological advice from anonymous forum members. You're you. You repeatedly stated that you're OK waiting a long time for a Western vaccine. Other people feel differently particularly about AstraZeneca. 

I am not offering you psychological advice.  I'm saying that your angst is apparent in your posts and you turn to unsubstantiated sources to sooth that angst instead of just waiting for substantiated facts from official sources.

If that makes you feel better, fine...but when you spread unsubstantiated claims, it affects other people on this forum, and that's how unfounded and harmful rumors aften get started...especially on a forum like this one.

A perfect example is what happened on this forum a few weeks ago concerning the MorProm app when expats on this very forum made unsubstantiated claims about the app which ended up created a lot of furur and anger from many expats towards the government.

In fact, it was the expats themselves that were guilty if misinterpreting the government's position and spreading a false narrative that spread like wildfire among the expat community.

Edited by WaveHunter

8 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I am not offering you psychological advice.  I'm saying that your angst is apparent in your posts and you turn to unsubstantiated sources to sooth that angst instead of just waiting for substantiated facts from official sources.

If that makes you feel better, fine...but when you spread unsubstantiated claims, it affects other people on this forum, and that's how unfounded rumors aften get started.

My source was trusted and credible.

Also I find your apparent blind faith in official announcements truly absurd. 

Just how many flip flops have we heard from such sources?

Again, we don't know really what actually will happen unless and until real stuff actually happens.

Edited by Jingthing

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

My source was trusted and credible.

Also I find your apparent blind faith in official announcements truly absurd. 

Just how many flip flops have we heard from such sources?

Again, we don't know really what actually will happen unless and until real stuff actually happens.

No offence but you don't seem to understand that what you call "flip flops" is a normal political process when officials are navigating uncharted territory. 

This whole roll-out is a work in progress.  The CCSA spokes persons are remarkably transparent and share developments in real time.  Some of those developments need to be refined or reworked and then they report those as well, and over time most of the public can see legitimate progress being made.  Seeing the big picture is what's important, not day to day comments or remarks.

There is nothing disingenuous about the process.  It is simply the way things get done with something where there are no existing guidelines for officials to follow.

• Like 1

OK, above I'm referring to this Bangkok related thread as being of interest to us in Pattaya for these reasons:

-- It provides a report of an experience registering at one of the Bangkok hospitals specified as being open for ONLINE registration to expats without a hospital that has their records. While we don't yet have such a hospital or hospitals designated that way here, presumably we will later.

-- It indicates that in this reporter's experience, PRIORITY group timing was NOT being applied. In other words, according to this report, what mattered for quicker timing was getting higher up in the queue. Being in a high risk group (over 60 / having certain conditions) did not help prioritize the vaccination date

I feel this is important because that's one of the "VAGUE" things that I have noticed from recent official announcements. Whether expats in high risk groups would be pooled as generic expats or would be pooled as high risk. 

Not saying this is the final definitive answer, but it's definitely a strong clue.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

This describes the chaotic Pattaya walk in event which I think was not for expats. What a mess.

I'm posting it even though it isn't about expats to give an indication of the many kinds of problems local organizers are having that may indeed continue to be issues going forward when expats will be included.

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/disorganized-pattaya-officials-battling-chaos-to-organize-june-covid-19-vaccinations-357336

Disorganized Pattaya officials battling chaos to organize June Covid-19 vaccinations

Edited by Jingthing