Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

In a weeks time the way the numbers are they will be reporting deaths over 100, probably is more than that though, info is controlled.

In the first world where quality vaccines are dispropotionally available its now more about lower hospitalizations and deaths to cases, thailand is at least 6 months away from that.

I left pattaya in early may went back to ireland now fully vaxed with pfizer.

When i flew back last leg of journey had a delta exposure so had additional test & self quarrantine I did see a young indian family on the plane but luckily i was in the first seat on a small commuter flight.

I think if you can return to your own country or go somewhere you can get an AZ or pfizer/moderna do it now I was planning a return sept but it will be in 2022.

13 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, you are correct.

I guess with expensive accommodation in Singapore, Cambodia may be an option in the future, and stay the 3 months, then back to Thailand via Phuket.  

Well a possibility, but an optimistic one, is somewhere offering the single dose J&J jab... straight in and out soon after. All very speculative though, and seeing the numbers here chasing the chance of a Moderna jab in Thailand .... well does not bode well for anything soon.

• Like 1

You can fly to anchorage Alaska and get JJ vaccine on arrival.

It would be best to stay 2 weeks to allow the vaccine to be fully effective though this is not compulsory.

JAL have a decent connection from Suvarnabhumi but the problem is the mandatory 14 day quarantine on return.

Keep in mind that travel from Thailand to USA could be banned in the near future.

Edited by Sweaty sock
  • Like 1

A trip back to the UK to get vaccinated is still my Plan B, but it's not quite as safe as it was. Everyone probably knows that the delta variant is surging back in the UK, which sounds like it's bad news but it's actually the final part of the government's plan to reach herd immunity, the "exit wave". Even after one of the most successful vaccination programmes in the world, they still need around another 8 million people to develop immunity before the herd limit is (hopefully!) reached. Since most of these people refuse to get vaccinated for one reason or another, they must become infected with the virus instead. Indeed, a daily new case rate of 100,000 people is required at some stage in the coming months but, as long as hospitalisations remain manageable and deaths low, it's actually desirable. The vulnerable people who refused the vaccines might well end up in hospital and die, but that risk was their choice to make. The problem is that people like us, unvaccinated vulnerable folk who desperately want the vaccine but must first do 10 days in self-isolation, might well get infected somewhere between arrival and having had the first vaccine shot for long enough for it to make a difference to our survival chances. I think I would break the rules and, on my way from the airport to my home to self-isolate, I'd get the taxi driver to stop at one of the walk-in vaccination centres. Then after 10 days of isolation I'd at least have some level of protection when I finally set foot along the people. In fact, why on earth don't they simply offer a vaccine to people arriving, stupid when they're desperate to get as many shots in arms as possible?

In case you're unclear what I was waffling on about with herd immunity and exit waves, here's a good summary from the Times a few days ago:

157284855_Exitwave.jpg.860e6f50a500be9956818c23d09e981e.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

A trip back to the UK to get vaccinated is still my Plan B, but it's not quite as safe as it was. Everyone probably knows that the delta variant is surging back in the UK, which sounds like it's bad news but it's actually the final part of the government's plan to reach herd immunity, the "exit wave". Even after one of the most successful vaccination programmes in the world, they still need around another 8 million people to develop immunity before the herd limit is (hopefully!) reached. Since most of these people refuse to get vaccinated for one reason or another, they must become infected with the virus instead. Indeed, a daily new case rate of 100,000 people is required at some stage in the coming months but, as long as hospitalisations remain manageable and deaths low, it's actually desirable. The vulnerable people who refused the vaccines might well end up in hospital and die, but that risk was their choice to make. The problem is that people like us, unvaccinated vulnerable folk who desperately want the vaccine but must first do 10 days in self-isolation, might well get infected somewhere between arrival and having had the first vaccine shot for long enough for it to make a difference to our survival chances. I think I would break the rules and, on my way from the airport to my home to self-isolate, I'd get the taxi driver to stop at one of the walk-in vaccination centres. Then after 10 days of isolation I'd at least have some level of protection when I finally set foot along the people. In fact, why on earth don't they simply offer a vaccine to people arriving, stupid when they're desperate to get as many shots in arms as possible?

In case you're unclear what I was waffling on about with herd immunity and exit waves, here's a good summary from the Times a few days ago:

It does make sense that any unvaccinated person arriving in the US from overseas should have an option to be vaccinated on the premises before leaving the airport and then get the second jab ASAP.  They have such a large stockpile of vaccines just for the asking!...but government decision makers rarely are quick to do what makes sense. 

I've absolutely considered returning to the US to get vaccinated, but regardless of what some on this forum seem to believe, I think the cons vastly outweigh the pros in doing that because of the very real dangers of travelling for the unvaccinated.

As an unvaccinated traveler you would face significant risks on a 20+ hour plane trip in spite of everyone being first tested.  Those tests are by no means 100% accurate.

What's more, you'll be spending a significant amount of time in airports during layovers among people that have probably NOT been tested at all (other than a temperature check) like employees of the airport or the general public who are not there to board flights.

In spite of the uptick in daily cases here in Thailand, it's still a very safe place to be for the unvaccinated if you look at new cases as a percentage of the population.  It's espdcially safer than the UK right now, and while the US may be slightly safer now for the unvaccinated (see chart), getting TO the US is where the real dangers are.  

1343296722_snapshot_2021-07-11at1_32_28PM.jpg.ae34a6f5b4cfeaa67ede4fc4fe15afd3.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

FYI - i've just returned to the UK for the same reasons you mention, cannot see vaccination in thailand happening anytime soon.

Everything is easy here, i arrived on monday, 1st dose on Wednesday, info uploaded onto the NHS website immediately, requested the cert and arrived through the post Friday - job done. Second jab you can call after 7 weeks and have an appointment in the next few days.

I'm expecting Thailand to go on the UK red list soon, therefore if you're considering return i'd do it sooner than later or you'll have to do a 10 day quarantine on arrival at £1700 ( plus test kits ) at your expense.

59 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Everything is easy here, i arrived on monday, 1st dose on Wednesday,

How did you manage that when you have to do ten days in self-isolation before you can go and get a vaccine?

4 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

There's no correlation between immigration and NHS vaccine people.

I'm on a tight schedule, that's the reason i did it.

So just to be clear, you left self-isolation and went to get a jab, then returned?

That's not an option for me as my place is in a small development where everyone knows everyone else, and you can't leave without being seen. The neighbours would know that I should be locked away, but whether they'd call anyone about it or not I have no idea. That's why my plan, if I return, would be to get the taxi from LHR to call in at a walk-in centre on the way back and get a jab there.

6 minutes ago, Guderian said:

So just to be clear, you left self-isolation and went to get a jab, then returned?

That's not an option for me as my place is in a small development where everyone knows everyone else, and you can't leave without being seen. The neighbours would know that I should be locked away, but whether they'd call anyone about it or not I have no idea. That's why my plan, if I return, would be to get the taxi from LHR to call in at a walk-in centre on the way back and get a jab there.

Correct.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Guderian said:

One thing i'm a little bit interested in is when i return for 2nd jab, coz i plan to spend less that 10 days here at that point so i'm intrigued if anyone will pick this up when i depart ( IF the 10 day isolation is still in effect at that time ).

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well a possibility, but an optimistic one, is somewhere offering the single dose J&J jab... straight in and out soon after. All very speculative though, and seeing the numbers here chasing the chance of a Moderna jab in Thailand .... well does not bode well for anything soon.

For example, if Cambodia was offering the J&J vaccine, which is a one dose vaccine, it's my understanding that after receiving it, you must wait 2 weeks before you can travel, and the most convenient / easiest way back to Pattaya is 2 weeks in Phuket, so either way, and no matter where you go in the region, you can expect to be away from Pattaya for about 1 month.  No problem for me, but may not be an option for some.  

This news item totally freaks me out!

For those of us from Pattaya that can secure a vaccine slot in Bangkok during these severe restrictions, are we going to be allowed to LEAVE Bangkok afterwards, or not?

Troops swift to block routes out of Bangkok ahead new lockdown on Monday | Thai PBS World : The latest Thai news in English, News Headlines, World News and News Broadcasts in both Thai and English. We bring Thailand to the world

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This news item totally freaks me out!

For those of us from Pattaya that can secure a vaccine slot in Bangkok during these severe restrictions, are we going to be allowed to LEAVE Bangkok afterwards, or not?

Troops swift to block routes out of Bangkok ahead new lockdown on Monday | Thai PBS World : The latest Thai news in English, News Headlines, World News and News Broadcasts in both Thai and English. We bring Thailand to the world

I think if you were in Bangkok solely for medical reasons and have the paperwork to prove it, exiting would be no problem.  Take things one step at a time; I wouldn't lose sleep over it right now.

I'd be more concerned right now with whether or not if Phyathai Hospital is going to publish the registration link this morning as they promised.  Anyone know if they are publishing it in some obscure place or can we assume it will be on the homepage...and in English?

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Anyone know if they are publishing it in some obscure place or can we assume it will be on the homepage...and in English?

If the behaviour of BHP is anything to go by, it will first be published in Thai on their Facebook page, lol.

11 minutes ago, Guderian said:

If the behaviour of BHP is anything to go by, it will first be published in Thai on their Facebook page, lol.

The site is crashing.  When I do manage to connect, THERE IS NO REGISTRATION LINK listed!  FUBAR!!!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

Twenty minutes ago, I got a message that the security certificate had expired. Once I got past that and hit F5 a few times I got to the web page but nothing had changed, no link to a form. Since then I've tried it in three different browsers and it can't be accessed, either too busy to connect (Firefox) or else down (Opera). My phone's browser is so disgusted that it doesn't even give me a message, lol. There's nothing on their FB page either. What's the betting that in a short time the website will suddenly reappear saying that they're sorry, but all the places have now been booked, please come back in August.

Edit: repeated F5 brought the site back at 09:11 but nothing has changed there, no form to fill in, or at least not that I can see. Anyone? 

Edited by Guderian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Twenty minutes ago, I got a message that the security certificate had expired. Once I got past that and hit F5 a few times I got to the web page but nothing had changed, no link to a form. Since then I've tried it in three different browsers and it can't be accessed, either too busy to connect (Firefox) or else down (Opera). My phone's browser is so disgusted that it doesn't even give me a message, lol. There's nothing on their FB page either. What's the betting that in a short time the website will suddenly reappear saying that they're sorry, but all the places have now been booked, please come back in August.

Edit: repeated F5 brought the site back at 09:11 but nothing has changed there, no form to fill in, or at least not that I can see. Anyone? 

SAME HERE!  The f*cking site is overloaded I guess.  each time I manage to connect, there is no registration link shown.  I bet anything that the next message that will be updated will read, "Sorry registration is full" (even though no registration link has been published).

No information AT ALL is on any of their facebook pages either. 

I guess we shouldn't be surprised!  This is the Magic Kingdom, where everything is just an illusion, and nothing is real!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It would have been way too easy to actually have it functioning at 9 A.M.!

This way, IF it's ever actually functioning, it will be much more randomized, you know, like a lottery ticket. 

I think the chances of winning the lottery are astronomically better than getting pre-registered!

I'm just thinking of all the wasted hours we've all devoted to all these ridiculous registration schemes.  What a damn Banana Republic this is!

I can almost guarantee you that the first message we'll finally see once the site is working properly will NOT be a registration link but another one of those disingenuous apologies "Sorry but registration is full"

Edited by WaveHunter

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I think the chances of winning the lottery are astronomically better than getting pre-registered!

OK, it's up!

Whats with the name and surname form?

Do they only want FIRST name in the name blank?

Edited by Jingthing

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

I knew it!

Finalyl logged in to the registration document, filled it out and submiited it and this is the reposne I got:

258082819_snapshot_2021-07-12at9_31_34AM.jpg.0ec7048d7ce96904ac794e3f12e15b3f.jpg

<deleted> THIS!!!

Same here.

Now what?

I got up "early" for this?

Just now, WaveHunter said:

You're not really surprised are you?  I'm not; only disappointed yet again.  What a damn joke...on us.

Sadly, I'm not surprised at all. That's what this has come to.  Cue for the f-rang heckler types to lecture to us that it's our fault, we didn't try hard enough, and must not really even want to get vaccinated. 

So what is this message supposed to mean?

We are sorry online registration is now closed due to popular demand, we have reached our quota, please visit our website tomorrow.

Does it (or does it not) suggest they will inviting us to play this nutty game EVERY morning of the so called open pre-registration period?

Really, I don't know.

It says to go back to the site tomorrow! For what?!?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

Sadly, I'm not surprised at all. That's what this has come to.  Cue for the f-rang heckler types to lecture to us that it's our fault, we didn't try hard enough, and must not really even want to get vaccinated. 

I may really reconsider flying back home now...and not coming back to this place ever!  I mean, seriously what is there in Thailand anymore that is a reason for even being here.  When I first moved here, it was a place that was so exciting and vibrant, it was just beyond my imagination, and look at it now!  You can't do anything fun, you can't go anyplace, we're facing one semi-lockdown after another.  What the hell is the point in living in a self-imposed prison? 

I think my love affair with the Magic Kingdom is coming to an abrupt end!