Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

53 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Everything is complicated now but I think a lot of the confusion will be elimintaed as more become fully vaccinated.  I guess the biggest priority right now for officals is just getting people vaccinated. SInce there is not that much interantional travel presently, I guess it's just not a big priority at the moment.

Obviously, something that is acceptable world-wide can not be accomplished by just one country, so it will really be the resposibility of an international organization liek the WHO or the UN to come up with something that is universally accetped by all countries.  I mean, I think the WHO already has a list of what they conisder to be "approved" vaccines, and so they could easily set up a "vaccine passport" idea.

I just thing that right now, of all of the vaccines, AZ is the one that would be most universally accepted.

Well that is exactly the who yellow booklet.. 

5 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I messaged MedPark at hello@medpark and inquiry@medpark to cancel my appointment since yesterday at noon. No reply yet. 

I get the impression they really don't care whether or not you cancel your unneeded appointment.  It's probably less trouble for them to just roll the unused vaccines over into a new offering.  If it were important I thikn they would have a ready way for you to cancel.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

They do, but some countries don't recognise them.

I'm looking at YOU USA and EU!

That's my point; it will only work if an international organization sets the standard, and the WHO would be the most likely organization to do it.

56 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

Thanks thats a very useful summary of different requirement types. As my second jab is not until end Sept, I can see how it plays out. But I am going to make an effort to get my Yellow Book, as I know a number of European countries - like France - have an equivalent document & I don't want to be caught out by some bureaucracy halfway across the globe demanding something I can only obtain back in Thailand.  It is just so crazy they shut the facility at the airport, meaning you have to potentially make a separate trip into BKK & seemingly join a physical queue. Again one hopes there will be some kind of facility in every province. Otherwise people could be making intra provincial trips not just to get their jabs but also their Yellow Books.

Totally understand where you come from.. maybe they also come to their senses and have a better solution on place by September and the who finally gets their act together and comes up with a digital yellow booklet...

3 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

Totally understand where you come from.. maybe they also come to their senses and have a better solution on place by September and the who finally gets their act together and comes up with a digital yellow booklet...

What is all the talk about the "yellow book".  I'm confused.  I thought a "yellow book" in thailand referred to a tabien baan house book. 

And BTW, why are so many offical documents in Thailand referred to with colors instead of more appropriate descriptions; I mean, Yellow Book, Blue Book, Pink Card...seriously???

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I don't understand what you're referring to.  DId you mean the CDC Yellow Book?

I am referring to the WHO International Certificate of Vaccination which is exactly what you seem to imply does not exist yet. Also just to add to your comment that you think its not a priority for the authorities. My impression of the rollout in Thailand is that of utter chaos and extremely reactive  - I don't think there is much proactive prioritzation strategy involved in any of the decision making.. 

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/Knowledge/who-international-certificate-of-vaccination.html

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

what about it?  I keep hearing people saying they get no response when emailing them.

other posts i read, said they just replied to the earlier confimation e-mail of the appointment,

so i sent an email to [email protected] to cancel my appointment and received an acknowledge within minutes

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VaccineHunter said:

I am referring to the WHO International Certificate of Vaccination which is exactly what you seem to imply does not exist yet. Also just to add to your comment that you think its not a priority for the authorities. My impression of the rollout in Thailand is that of utter chaos and extremely reactive  - I don't think there is much proactive prioritzation strategy involved in any of the decision making.. 

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/Knowledge/who-international-certificate-of-vaccination.html

But this yellow book seem to only apply to yellow fever vaccinations, so how is that of any use?  Is the WHO actually planning to include Covid vaccinaitons?  If so, no mention of that was made on the linked page you provided.

As for you rimpression of the chaotic and reactive nature of the present rollout, I agree 100%. That's why documenting vaccinated persons for international travel would be an extremely low priority within Thailand right now, as in many other countries struggling with vaccinations.  It needs to be up to an international body to do that, and really has nothing to do with Thailand to do.

4 minutes ago, steve187 said:

other posts i read, said they just replied to the earlier confimation e-mail of the appointment,

so i sent an email to [email protected] to cancel my appointment and received an acknowledge within minutes

Oh, OK.  Your experience is the first one I've come across to that effect.  I'll give it a go right now and see for myself ????

Just now, WaveHunter said:

But this yellow book seem to only apply to yellow fever vaccinations, so how is that of any use?  Is the WHO actually planning to include Covid vaccinaitons?  If so, no mention of that was made on the linked page you provided.

As for you rimpression of the chaotic and reactive nature of the present rollout, I agree 100%. That's why documenting vaccinated persons for international travel would be an extremely low priority within Thailand right now, as in many other countries struggling with vaccinations.  It needs to be up to an international body to do that, and really has nothing to do with Thailand to do.

If you are American yes it is referred to as the CDC Yellow Book and its being used to track all vaccinations that you receive and is being used in international travel. If you have one with you I highly recommend to bring it along for your second jab in 12 weeks to P2 Hospital and get your vaccination entered into the booklet... I did the same when I got my second jab and now have an entry in the yellow booklet and my Thailand Vaccination Certificate. Can't hurt to have both!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

If you are American yes it is referred to as the CDC Yellow Book and its being used to track all vaccinations that you receive and is being used in international travel. If you have one with you I highly recommend to bring it along for your second jab in 12 weeks to P2 Hospital and get your vaccination entered into the booklet... I did the same when I got my second jab and now have an entry in the yellow booklet and my Thailand Vaccination Certificate. Can't hurt to have both!

I'm confused.  Isn't the CDC Yellow book just a informative book on international travel safety?  How can it be used as an official document that proves you receved a vaccination when you enter Immigration in a foreign country? 

Furthermore, the latest updated version does not even include anything on Covid.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2020/updates

I don't see any mention about it being useful to record and serve as official proof of vaccination status for any of the deseases listed in the book either.

What's more, I'd find it hard to imagine a traveler isgoing lugging around a 720 page book while travelling or that some Immigration officer is going to accept it as proof of your vaccination status.

Are you sure you are talking about the CDC Yellow Boook?

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/yellowbook-home-2020

Edited by WaveHunter

17 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

I am referring to this: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/international-certificate-vaccination-or-prophylaxis-approved-world-health-organization-0

if you don't have one you could actually order it and bring it along to P2 when you get your second shot.. 

Thats exactly what I want, is that what you get from the Bangkok disease control office & I believe you pay B50 for it. If so I am not exiting Thailand without one. The Thai Immigration process has taught me you can never have too many pieces of official looking documents.

33 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

I am referring to this: https://bookstore.gpo.gov/products/international-certificate-vaccination-or-prophylaxis-approved-world-health-organization-0

if you don't have one you could actually order it and bring it along to P2 when you get your second shot.. 

Oh OK, that's different from CDC Yellow Book. 

However, having one achieves nothing if the foreign country does not recognize the vacicnes that the hospital writes on that form as being acceptable.  It is no more acceptable than the hospital's certificate, so why even bother with getting it

My point...There simply needs to be a specific certificate that is acceptable to all countries that recognizes the the authority of the WHO to determine acceptable vaccines.  You send your hospital certificate to the WHO, and then they certify you with an official WHO certificate that will be accepted by all countries that recognize the WHO as having the final say.

I doubt that there would be any pushback from any foreign country of accepting this...if they value tourism revenue.

Edited by WaveHunter

42 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

However, having one achieves nothing if the foreign country does not recognize the vacicnes that the hospital writes on that form as being acceptable.  It is no more acceptable than the hospital's certificate, so why even bother with getting it

My point...There simply needs to be a specific certificate that is acceptable to all countries that recognizes the the authority of the WHO to determine acceptable vaccines.  You send your hospital certificate to the WHO, and then they certify you with an official WHO certificate that will be accepted by all countries that recognize the WHO as having the final say.

I doubt that there would be any pushback from any foreign country of accepting this...if they value tourism revenue.

43 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

hmm that WHO Yello Vaccination certification booklet is exactly that:

"needs to be a specific certificate that is acceptable to all countries that recognizes the the authority of the WHO to determine acceptable vaccines"

but you have already come to your own conclusions... I am sure there are other readers here that might see the value of having the WHO Yellow Booklet Certficate entry done alongside their Thai Vaccine Certificate at no cost when they get their second jab...

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

Thats exactly what I want, is that what you get from the Bangkok disease control office & I believe you pay B50 for it. If so I am not exiting Thailand without one. The Thai Immigration process has taught me you can never have too many pieces of official looking documents.

Exactly, and I totally agree, only thing is the process seems to be super tedious and thats why if you can get it ordered from overseas and then just have your Hospital add in the details that might be the easier approach.. especially since they even limit the number of booklets they hand out in Thailand per day which seems ridiculous..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Here's copy of my old vaccination book. Used and recognized all over the world.

V1.JPG

V2.JPG

Thanks for posting! Just FYI I got my Covid shots entered into my existing booklet after the 2nd shot with no issues at PhyaThai2 Hospital. Just wave it at them when you enter the waiting area!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

This was the link from Barrow's Thai News Reports:

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1417305021675360258

One wants to take note that they only hand out 160 booklets per day which is totally unacceptable in my view and you gotta queue up early in the morning to get lucky to get on of these books. Also the Airport Office has been closed - I received this email a few days ago:

Good evening.

International Communicable Diseases Control Checkpoint Suvarnabhumi Airport

The disease control checkpoint will be closed indefinitely from June 28 to implement a system for delivering vaccination certificates by mail.

For those who would like to request a vaccination certificate, please contact:

1. Bamrasnaradaon Institute or

2. Urban Disease Control Prevention Institute or

3. Department of Disease Control

For cabin crew, contact the person in charge of each airline to gather evidence and submit a vaccination certificate.

We apologize for the inconvenience. If you can return to action, we will let you know as soon as possible.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Took about a day and a half but I just received the MedPark acknowledgment of my cancellation request. Feels like a template message. But If I've indeed been removed, they are just covering for all communication gaps and variables. In any case, well done MedPark. 

Dear Sir/Madam,

Greetings from MedPark Hospital

Thank you for contacting us and for having interest with our healthcare services.

Your request of the cancellation has been acknowledged; if you receive any information regarding to this appointment again such as the confirmation / the scheduling and so on, kindly do not pay attention about it.

Thank you for your information.

Best regards,
Patient Access Officer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Here's copy of my old vaccination book. Used and recognized all over the world.

V1.JPG

V2.JPG

Even with it, I still do not think it would help you entering a country if that particular country does not approve the vaccine you got...so realy it's of no more use than the original certificate from the hospital, in the case of Covid vaccination.  It's proboably fine for many other vaccinations where there is no discrimination against a particular brand of vaccine like Hepatitis for instance. 

2 hours ago, VaccineHunter said:

hmm that WHO Yello Vaccination certification booklet is exactly that:

"needs to be a specific certificate that is acceptable to all countries that recognizes the the authority of the WHO to determine acceptable vaccines"

but you have already come to your own conclusions... I am sure there are other readers here that might see the value of having the WHO Yellow Booklet Certficate entry done alongside their Thai Vaccine Certificate at no cost when they get their second jab...

HOw does the yellow book help if the hospital writes in a vaccine brand that is not accepted by the country you want to enter?  In reality, the Yellow book would be no more useful than the certificate the hospital will be giving you. 

Until there is a standard set by an international agency like the WHO as to which vaccines are acceptable...that all countries will agree to, any paperwork from the WHO is no better than what you get from the hospital. 

How can that not be clear?

17 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Took about a day and a half but I just received the MedPark acknowledgment of my cancellation request. Feels like a template message. But If I've indeed been removed, they are just covering for all communication gaps and variables. In any case, well done MedPark. 

I wrote them earlier this afternoon and I just got the same reply a few minutes ago.  So...one less thing to deal with ????

Glad to have woken up this morning with a slightly sore arm at the injection site.  It reminded me...I've been vaccinated...YAY ????

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Even with it, I still do not think it would help you entering a country if that particular country does not approve the vaccine you got...so realy it's of no more use than the original certificate from the hospital, in the case of Covid vaccination.

Obviously, but you asked if the WHO vaccine certificate is recognized internationally and I replied that in to my experience it is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

That's my point; it will only work if an international organization sets the standard, and the WHO would be the most likely organization to do it.

My point is that the WHO HAVE set the standards and DO recognise the vaccine manufacturers.

But USA and EU do not accept one in particular of them.

• Like 1