Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

38 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

Look I fully agree. But doubt that you will have any issue if you apply overseas for a re-entry COE and just attach the Thai certificate. The Yellow Booklet is probably not going to make a huge difference for you at this juncture.

Problem is we don't know if Thai future documentation requirements will change & also I may need a more official, internationally recognised form of vaccination proof elsewhere in the world. I really don't want to go through yet another absurd bureaucratic queuing process, but sadly I will have to do so before exiting. Incidentally I will not be returning to Thailand until all the COE, ripoff Covid medical insurance, ASQ nonsense ends - however long that is.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Just got my jjab at PhyaThai. Amazed how fast it went.  My appointment was at 2 PM but I arrived at 11 AM, and within literally 10 minutes I was getting jabbed.  I couldn’t believe how organized and efficient they were here.  anyway just sitting here for the required 30 minutes observation and then I head back home ????

Hip Hip Hooray!

BTW, what do you reckon is the best way to CANCEL a vaccine booking at Medpark?

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Harry2 said:

Thanks, having got vaccinated with a vaccine that is seemingly accepted in many places across the world, I very much want an official certificate that would hopefully be accepted elsewhere in the world as proof of vaccination. Including possibly Thailand should I decide I want to return here, events of the last few months have - for the first time - put a question mark against that.

I also asked about a certificate after getting my initial proof and next shot date. I think the nurse understood me because she replied yes instantly, but due to mask muffling wasn't sure what she said elsewise. I'll bet hundreds of people have asked already. She said that we'll get something official at the end of shot 2. 

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Hip Hip Hooray!

Good question. I need to cancel at MedPark too. The cancellations might open a slot or two for others, For reference, mine's Aug 17, 11 am. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
More details

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

They all say you can't CHANGE a booking time. I do wonder if they overbook somewhat to account for inevitable no shows, etc. 

I just sent an email to MedPark, by replying to their confirmation email. It says "no reply" but it auto-changes the destination to [email protected]. It then includes my vital info from the confirmation, including the ref code. Will see if that works. Hate to block someone's chances.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

Here's another fun question.

As there is 12 week gap for Astra Zenica, I wonder if there will be a way to "transfer" the first Bangkok hospital jab to a Pattaya hospital (assuming perhaps over optimistically that at least high risk with passport expats will have access to AZ jabs here by then).

We won't want three AZ jabs!

I doubt Moderna or Pfizer will be here by then, but then you get into the mixing controversy.  I also don't think you want AZ and then TWO Modernas or Pfizers, so the same question of being able to transfer.

The point I'm making is about getting the documentation that you've been fully vaccinated. You could lie to them and say you didn't get the first one, take the second one here as the first, and no show for the second here, but then definitely no document.

Nobody knows the answer to this yet of course.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I just sent an email to MedPark, by replying to their confirmation email. It says "no reply" but it auto-changes the destination to [email protected]. It then includes the vital info, including the ref code. Will see if that works. Hate to block someone's chances.

I agree it would be irresponsible to not at least to TRY to cancel. However I strongly suspect they overbook anyway, expecting a percentage of no shows.

The Intervac site https://www.thailandintervac.com just added half a dozen new hospitals around Thailand, including Phyathai 2, all promising registration "soon." August could be a biggie. Unfortunately, nothing in Pattaya. However, there will be vaccines available at Samithivej Sriracha Hospital, Chonburi.

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2021 at 2:49 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

No, one is part of the US Constitution, the other soon will be.

Seems to be going global.  

What will the Asian race do, for the "Asian Lives Matter" campaign?  Maybe hold up a chop stick in protest.  ????  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Hip Hip Hooray!

Ya know, I wouldn't cancel the appointment at MedPark just yet even though I got my first jab, and I'll tell you why.

If the CCSA doesn't change the 12 week waiting period for the second jab, I might consider getting the ParkMed dose as a "second" dose, whether or not they'd be willing to document me as being fully vaccinated.  I have a feeling they would be willing to do that but I'm not sure right now.

It's just too early to tell what options will be by August.  Pfizer may actually be available to us locally next month.  I'd rather have MedPark as a backup to a speedier second dose if no better options are available by my appointment date, rather than be forced to wait until mid October for the second dose, and then another two weeks for it to fully kick in making it November to finally be fully protected.

I think that even if I wait until the last minute to cancel MedPark, that cancelled dose will go to some worthy recipient, and won't be simply tossed in the trash.

20 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Ya know, I wouldn't cancel the appointment at MedPark just yet even though I got my first jab, and I'll tell you why.

If the CCSA doesn't change the 12 week waiting period for the second jab, I might consider getting the ParkMed dose as a "second" dose, whether or not they'd be willing to document me as being fully vaccinated.  I have a feeling they would be willing to do that but I'm not sure right now.

It's just too early to tell what options will be by August.  Pfizer may actually be available to us locally next month.  I'd rather have MedPark as a backup to a speedier second dose if no better options are available by my appointment date, rather than be forced to wait until mid October for the second dose, and then another two weeks for it to fully kick in making it November to finally be fully protected.

I think that even if I wait until the last minute to cancel MedPark, that cancelled dose will go to some worthy recipient, and won't be simply tossed in the trash.

Interesting.

Well, that would be a very short span between doses.

I reckon you know that the current consensus is that waiting longer, eight weeks or twelve weeks, increases the strength of the immunity.

Also I recall Medpark clearly said their program was only for people that hadn't received a vaccine, so if you go in there I don't think it's very advisable to tell them you've had the first dose and can't imagine they would give you documentation of being fully vaccinated unless you did and they were cool with that. On the other hand, you could risk it, and tell them the truth, and then you'd be at their mercy as to how they would respond (give you the jab or not / give you the document or not). 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry2 said:

Seriously man, when you are in a system that actually works & delivers - stay in that system to the end.

It's a fair point but I'm not really feeling your tone of lecturing to me. That seems really uncalled for!  Also if I was to consider an alternative it would obviously only be after I have good assurances that my plan was going to work. There is a lot that can happen in the next 12 weeks so I see no problem with at least having an OPEN MIND about another path IF it becomes viable. Cheers.

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Interesting.

Well, that would be a very short span between doses.

I reckon you know that the current consensus is that waiting longer, eight weeks or twelve weeks, increases the strength of the immunity.

Also I recall Medpark clearly said their program was only for people that hadn't received a vaccine, so if you go in there I don't think it's very advisable to tell them you've had the first dose and can't imagine they would give you documentation of being fully vaccinated unless you did and they were cool with that. On the other hand, you could risk it, and tell them the truth, and then you'd be at their mercy as to how they would respond (give you the jab or not / give you the document or not). 

All of what you say is true.  I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense to throw away an appointment before you know what will be happening next month.  Waiting until November to be fully protected is a long time, and if things are not handled well by the CCSA, infections in Chonburi could be astronomical by then.

I'm just saying that even if it breaks rules, I'd rather get a second does from MedPark next month, and then get my second shot at PhyaThai or maybe even a local Pattaya hospital in October so as to build up as much protection over the next few months as possible.

My concern is that things could get VERY back in Chonburi over teh next couple of months if the CCSA doesn't really get their act together.  I mean, their track record to date does not exactly instill confidence.

My concern is to reach optimal protection as quickly as possible.  I'm not so concerned with documentation as I have no oversea travel plans until December.

Edited by WaveHunter

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's a fair point but I'm not really feeling your tone of lecturing to me. That seems really uncalled for!  Also if I was to consider an alternative it would obviously only be after I have good assurances that my plan was going to work. There is a lot that can happen in the next 12 weeks so I see no problem with at least having an OPEN MIND about another path IF it becomes viable. Cheers.

No I wasn't lecturing you, I was saying be glad you like me & others on this thread are finally in a working system & its likely best to stick with it to the end.

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

All of what you say is true.  I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense to throw away an appointment before you know what will be happening next month.  Waiting until November to be fully protected is a long time, and if things are not handled well by the CCSA, infections in Chonburi could be astronomical by then.

I'm just saying that even if it breaks rules, I'd rather get a second does from MedPark next month, and then get my second shot at PhyaThai or maybe even a local Pattaya hospital in October so as to build up as much protection as possible...especially if things get really bad around here in the coming months, which is a distinct possibility if the CCSA doesn't really get their act together.  I mean, their track record to date does not exactly instill confidence.

My concern is to reach optimal protection as quickly as possible.  I'm not so concerned with documentation as I have no oversea travel plans until December.

Understood.

It's a trade off. 

I haven't heard of doing three shots of AZ, but following two doses of AZ with a mRNA seems a trend.

4 minutes ago, Harry2 said:

No I wasn't lecturing you, I was saying be glad you like me & others on this thread are finally in a working system & its likely best to stick with it to the end.

I am glad. Your other post was bossy and directed to me. May as well own it. Again, I don't see any problem with watching for other options but obviously making a final decision to change is another matter. 

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Understood.

It's a trade off. 

I haven't heard of doing three shots of AZ, but following two doses of AZ with a mRNA seems a trend.

Actually, if that option is available (and I think Pfizer may be available through local private hospitals by then), I'd opt for that instead.

My real point though is simply that nobody really knows where things are going over the next few months.  I prefer to keep the MedPark option open as long as possible.  That's all I'm really saying.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

Actually, if that option is available (and I think Pfizer may be available through local private hospitals by then), I'd opt for that instead.

My real point though is simply that nobody really knows where things are going over the next few months.  I refer to keep the MedPark option open as long as possible.  That's all I'm really saying.

In your case, I totally understand because your gap I think is about four weeks. That's about the minimum gap. My gap will be much shorter so I will definitely cancel Medpark. 

22 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Got my vaccine about 1:00 pm, Arrived at Phyathai 2 around 12:30.  VERY busy, lucky I got a seat.  within 5-10 minutes a couple more computer workers showed and paperwork handlers for the paper you need to fill out and sign.  I would say 15-20 people were standing by the time I got my paperwork (30 minutes or so)

No worries, except had to wait for 3 elevators as they limit capacity to 5 people per elevator. 

Blood pressure next 136/84 (I take lispril daily) short wait for the shot. 

Many Sinovac people there and my paperwork stated Astrazeneca, but had to make sure, so checked the lot number and vial as all you see is a syringe in a SS container waiting for you.  Both nurses very accommodating.  I was pleasant and half joking but really wanted to make sure as many others there had the Sinovac paperwork I saw ????

Amazed at all the younger people. Seemed half the people there were under 40, mostly Thais and a few Chinese and Indians. 

The 30 minute wait is a bit of a joke...more like 15-20, but of course you can stay longer.  Once you get your appointment for your second shot (mine is October 15) they say you can go...which was about 15-20 minutes for me.   Whole process took about an hour

No roadblocks either way Pattaya-Bangkok-Pattaya

All good until the next shot 84 days/12 weeks from now.  

shot 2.jpg

shot 1.jpg

I guess an hour can make all the difference.  I showed up at 11am (for my 2pm appointment), and had ZERO wait time for all stages of the process (except the observation period of course). 

As for Sino vs AZ, 3 different times, three different nurses looked at my paperwork and confirmed to me that I was receiving Astrazeneca without me even asking.  The room where my shot was administered had a big AstraZeneca sign over it (but I did the same as you and asked to see the vial itself just for peace of mind):

IMG_1654.thumb.jpeg.ed1f259467756edfcea5cebfd5d59c6b.jpeg

All in all, I was thrilled by the experience.  It was so much better than I would have ever imagined.

10 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In your case, I totally understand because your gap I think is about four weeks. That's about the minimum gap. My gap will be much shorter so I will definitely cancel Medpark. 

Yes that's true.  Also, I'm not saying that a twelve week wait is a bad thing.  Unlike Phyzer which has a wait time between jabs of only 4-6 weeks, many scientists seem to feel that a twelve week interval is necessary with Astrazeneca, and then some disagree and think only 8 weeks is required.  There's just too many "unknowns" right now.  I just have this feeling that Phyathai may be sending us all text messages saying 12 weeks has been changed to 8 weeks...but until that happens, it's anyone's guess.