Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

Jina Phenix
Sat 24/07/2021 04:53

Thank you for your patience!

We have now received the approval for the vaccination from the Department of Disease Control, however we are working on the dates and hospital appointments at the moment

Those who have already been vaccinated or received appointment elsewhere please inform us immediately.

Those that have not been vaccinated, DO NOT need to reply.

We have a long list to work on. We advise to continue to be patient. You will be contacted shortly

Best Regards
Jina Phenix
Business Development Manager

British Chamber of Commerce Thailand (BCCT)
23rd Floor, M Thai Tower, All Seasons Place,

87 Wireless Road, Lumphini, Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330
Mobile: +66 (0) 892101823

Web: www.bccthai.com

British Chamber of Commerce now writing to those registered   vaccines received ,jabs about to take place...hopefully Johnson

Then a pint of bitter at the bar

Edited by fredscats
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, fredscats said:
Jina Phenix

We have now received the approval for the vaccination from the Department of Disease Control, however we are working on the dates and hospital appointments at the moment

Those who have already been vaccinated or received appointment elsewhere please inform us immediately.

We have a long list to work on. We advise to continue to be patient. You will be contacted shortly

Best Regards
Jina Phenix

British Chamber of Commerce now writing to those registered   vaccines received ,jabs about to take place...hopefully Johnson

Whats more Jingthing The British ambassador is laying on his stretched roller to convey his loyal subjects too,one up on the Frenchies

2 hours ago, fredscats said:
Jina Phenix

Best Regards
Jina Phenix

In the heading on my E Mail it says the vaccine will be AZ.

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

I wrote them earlier this afternoon and I just got the same reply a few minutes ago.  So...one less thing to deal with ????

Glad to have woken up this morning with a slightly sore arm at the injection site.  It reminded me...I've been vaccinated...YAY ????

Three days later, I still have a slightly tender arm muscle. No problem. Otherwise, I had no post-vac issues, unlike two friends this week who woke up with a bit of flu-like symptoms. But they're fine now. Have to admit, the last two inoculations in 2019 -- against pneumonia and shingles -- I had no issues at all.

Buy yeah man! Great to get past stage one vaccination. There's a road ahead. 

5 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

HOw does the yellow book help if the hospital writes in a vaccine brand that is not accepted by the country you want to enter?  In reality, the Yellow book would be no more useful than the certificate the hospital will be giving you. 

Until there is a standard set by an international agency like the WHO as to which vaccines are acceptable...that all countries will agree to, any paperwork from the WHO is no better than what you get from the hospital. 

How can that not be clear?

It is much better because the WHO booklet is accepted around the globe whereas your Thai vaccine certificate is not.. how can that not be clear? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Even with it, I still do not think it would help you entering a country if that particular country does not approve the vaccine you got...so realy it's of no more use than the original certificate from the hospital, in the case of Covid vaccination.  It's proboably fine for many other vaccinations where there is no discrimination against a particular brand of vaccine like Hepatitis for instance. 

30 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

It is much better because the WHO booklet is accepted around the globe whereas your Thai vaccine certificate is not.. how can that not be clear?

Case study: What about you want to fly back to the US and then to Canada? What do you think will get you into the country the WHO Internationally accepted Certification Booklet or the Thai Vaccine certificate. Or what if you are in France heading to London on the Eurostar? Again what do you think will work better the WHO Yellow International Vaccination Certificate or your Phya Thai Paper printout? 

And last point - the vaccines are approved by the WHO member countries individually for their indvidual jurisdiction, AND by the WHO as a body for international guidance and its totally utterly unrealistic and frankly downright outlandish to expect that all countries will agree to what Vaccines are acceptable. What we might be seeing sometime in the future is a WHO specified digital version of the yellow booklet and increased mutual recognition of WHO approved vaccines over time but anything else is without basis.

So overall I really don't agree with your point that the yellow book will be no more useful as its an established internationally recognized travel document whereas your Thai paper simply isn't. If you chose not to take advantage of that fact and get such a booklet you are just foregoing substantial upside with virtually no downside. But hey - do what you gotta do!

9 hours ago, VaccineHunter said:

It is much better because the WHO booklet is accepted around the globe whereas your Thai vaccine certificate is not.. how can that not be clear?

Case study: What about you want to fly back to the US and then to Canada? What do you think will get you into the country the WHO Internationally accepted Certification Booklet or the Thai Vaccine certificate. Or what if you are in France heading to London on the Eurostar? Again what do you think will work better the WHO Yellow International Vaccination Certificate or your Phya Thai Paper printout? 

And last point - the vaccines are approved by the WHO member countries individually for their indvidual jurisdiction, AND by the WHO as a body for international guidance and its totally utterly unrealistic and frankly downright outlandish to expect that all countries will agree to what Vaccines are acceptable. What we might be seeing sometime in the future is a WHO specified digital version of the yellow booklet and increased mutual recognition of WHO approved vaccines over time but anything else is without basis.

So overall I really don't agree with your point that the yellow book will be no more useful as its an established internationally recognized travel document whereas your Thai paper simply isn't. If you chose not to take advantage of that fact and get such a booklet you are just foregoing substantial upside with virtually no downside. But hey - do what you gotta do!

I suppose you've got a point that the WHO certificate would hold more weight with your typical Immigration officer at the airport, so point well made.  And as for the bigger picture, for those of us vaccinated with AZ, I think we have very little to worry about, no matter where we plan to travel.

However, for those who have been vaccinated with a vaccine not recognized by a particular country, it will not matter whether the person has a WHO certificate or not.  They are going to have a problem.

That's why my position is that (for those people), the WHO, or some international organization has to set the standard on which vaccines are acceptable and which are not, and that standard needs to be recognized by all countries, otherwise a lot of travelers who may be fully protected are going to have real problems if it's left to individuals countries to decide whether or not they can pass.  

Imagine taking a flight to some country that approves your particular vaccine but you must make a layover stop along the way in a country that does not approve it.  That would not be a fun situation to be in.

There needs to be a universal standard that accepted by all countries.  THAT'S what the issue really is.

Edited by WaveHunter

12 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Three days later, I still have a slightly tender arm muscle. No problem. Otherwise, I had no post-vac issues, unlike two friends this week who woke up with a bit of flu-like symptoms. But they're fine now. Have to admit, the last two inoculations in 2019 -- against pneumonia and shingles -- I had no issues at all.

Buy yeah man! Great to get past stage one vaccination. There's a road ahead. 

It really is more of a liberating feeling than I imagined it would be.  Of course, we're only partially protected at this point but still, as you say, we are on the road now, instead of being in the state of limbo we've been in for the last couple of months.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

My point is that the WHO HAVE set the standards and DO recognise the vaccine manufacturers.

But USA and EU do not accept one in particular of them.

My point is not that the WHO needs to set the standard.  My point is that ALL countries need to accept the standard that is set. 

The WHO, due to its' tarnished record of honesty and transparency, is probably not the best organization to do that unfortunately. 

Perhaps another specialized agency of the United Nations that's more universally respected than the WHO might better serve this function.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, VaccineHunter said:

USA don't recognise the Astrazeneca vaccine so either the WHO booklet or the Phyathai document will be equally unacceptable. Canad DO recognise Az.

If you were going from UK to France then Az is also not recognised if it is made in India (and they have some reservations about any other Az), but you should't have any problem going from France to UK with an Az vaccine and paperwork from Thailand. 

13 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

USA don't recognise the Astrazeneca vaccine so either the WHO booklet or the Phyathai document will be equally unacceptable. Canad DO recognise Az.

If you were going from UK to France then Az is also not recognised if it is made in India (and they have some reservations about any other Az), but you should't have any problem going from France to UK with an Az vaccine and paperwork from Thailand. 

The simple fact that we are having this long standing debate right here in this thread is proof enough that a universal policy on efficacy of all vaccines needs to be determined and a world-wide standard set that ALL countries will respect.

Right now it's crazy.  In the case of AZ, for instance, many countries not only consider whether the brand is acceptable or not, bu in the case of AZ, they will also consider what country the AZ was made in! 

Imagine a long flight to a destination country where your AZ produced in Thailand is approved but involving a long layover at an airport in a country where it is not approved.  What kind of issues is that traveler going to face?

A universal standard on vaccine efficacy needs to be set by an organization that ALL countries will accept.  Otherwise international travel will be chaotic, and that is going to cost a lot of countries serious tourism dollars which they desperately need right now. 

On that basis alone, I think there's a good chance that this issue will be resolved very quickly because whenever there is money at stake, solutions are usually pretty quick to follow.

Edited by WaveHunter

15 hours ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Obviously, but you asked if the WHO vaccine certificate is recognized internationally and I replied that in to my experience it is.

Well I agree with you that yes, the WHO certificate is internationally recognized for most vaccinations, but NOT necessarily for Covid vaccinations. 

So, in practical terms, the WHO certificate for Covid vaccination is only recognized if the vaccine that is listed is also recognized by the country you plan to enter.  If not, then the WHO certificate is not recognized at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

thanks for input, if you think there will be no problem with paperwork from Thailand entering the UK from France then indeed you don't need the WHO Yellow vaccination booklet at all and I am glad for that because it leaves more copies people for like us who believe there are benefits of having the International vaccination certification booklet in addition to the local certificate when crossing international borders. Good luck!

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

I suppose you've got a point that the WHO certificate would hold more weight with your typical Immigration officer at the airport, so point well made.  And as for the bigger picture, for those of us vaccinated with AZ, I think we have very little to worry about, no matter where we plan to travel.

However, for those who have been vaccinated with a vaccine not recognized by a particular country, it will not matter whether the person has a WHO certificate or not.  They are going to have a problem.

That's why my position is that (for those people), the WHO, or some international organization has to set the standard on which vaccines are acceptable and which are not, and that standard needs to be recognized by all countries, otherwise a lot of travelers who may be fully protected are going to have real problems if it's left to individuals countries to decide whether or not they can pass.  

Imagine taking a flight to some country that approves your particular vaccine but you must make a layover stop along the way in a country that does not approve it.  That would not be a fun situation to be in.

There needs to be a universal standard that accepted by all countries.  THAT'S what the issue really is.

Fully agree thats the root cause but I am a afraid this will not be resolved soon as there a lot of bureacrats and slow moving government organizations involved and all under the extremely poor and reactive "orchestration" of the WHO - so I think we have to live in limbo for quite a while until the issue is being adressed... 

28 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

Fully agree thats the root cause but I am a afraid this will not be resolved soon as there a lot of bureacrats and slow moving government organizations involved and all under the extremely poor and reactive "orchestration" of the WHO - so I think we have to live in limbo for quite a while until the issue is being adressed... 

On the other side of your argument, until it is resolved, countries that rely on tourism, and even countries that do not, are going to suffer economically by anything that impedes international travel.  When money is at stake in such a huge way, red tape has a way of being cut very quickly.

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

On the other side of your argument, until it is resolved, countries that rely on tourism, and even countries that do not, are going to suffer economically by anything that impedes international travel.  When money is at stake in such a huge way, red tape has a way of being cut very quickly.

really? so why is Thailand still closed for Tourism? where is all that red tape being cut quickly? What about France, Spain, the United States, China, Italy and Turkey which are the top Tourism drivers. Except Spain and Turkey they are all still pretty much closed. Do you think their priority is re-enabling international travel? I wish it would be the case but to me that doesn't seem to be the case...

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Poor nursing practice, they should be injecting the vein, not a muscle.

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

LOL!  Are you mad man?  Covid Vaccines are never injected into a vein; only intramuscularly. (into muscle).  

In the case of COVID-19 vaccines, injecting into the muscle is particularly important because muscle contains and recruits immune cells (dendritic cells), which take up antigens quickly and then are able to migrate to lymph nodes for distribution throughout the immune system.

BTW, accidental injection of the vaccine into a vein is believed to be the possible cause of some of the blood clot complications that were originally blamed on the vaccine itself, when in fact, it was more likely  due to improper injection technique.

Exactly. Beat me to it. The quote below is from a professor of nursing as to why the muscle?

Muscles make an excellent vaccine administration site because muscle tissue contains important immune cells. These immune cells recognize the antigen, a tiny piece of a virus or bacteria introduced by the vaccine that stimulates an immune response. In the case of the COVID-19 vaccine, it is not introducing an antigen but rather administering the blueprint for producing antigens. The immune cells in the muscle tissue pick up these antigens and present them to the lymph nodes [in the nearby arm pit]. Injecting the vaccine into muscle tissue keeps the vaccine localized, allowing immune cells to sound the alarm to other immune cells and get to work.

If the the nurse wanted a vein, she'd just have to open up my arm and hit the main vein where they take blood for donations and blood test vials.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
Fixes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

LOL!  Are you mad man?  Covid Vaccines are never injected into a vein; only intramuscularly. (into muscle).  

In the case of COVID-19 vaccines, injecting into the muscle is particularly important because muscle contains and recruits immune cells (dendritic cells), which take up antigens quickly and then are able to migrate to lymph nodes for distribution throughout the immune system.

BTW, accidental injection of the vaccine into a vein is believed to be the possible cause of some of the blood clot complications that were originally blamed on the vaccine itself, when in fact, it was more likely  due to improper injection technique.

Sorry, years of dating nurses and being their guinea pigs back in my youth!

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Exactly. Beat me to it. The quote below is from a professor of nursing as to why the muscle?

If the the nurse wanted a vein, she'd just have to open up my arm and hit the main vein where they take blood for donations and blood test vials.

I've had a lot of nurses in Thailand hitting muscle, not vein, and I have prominent veins.

2 hours ago, VaccineHunter said:

thanks for input, if you think there will be no problem with paperwork from Thailand entering the UK from France then indeed you don't need the WHO Yellow vaccination booklet at all and I am glad for that because it leaves more copies people for like us who believe there are benefits of having the International vaccination certification booklet in addition to the local certificate when crossing international borders. Good luck!

I don't think UK are likely to reject the authenticity of Astrazenaca vaccines?

Unlike some other countries.

1 hour ago, VaccineHunter said:

really? so why is Thailand still closed for Tourism? where is all that red tape being cut quickly? What about France, Spain, the United States, China, Italy and Turkey which are the top Tourism drivers. Except Spain and Turkey they are all still pretty much closed. Do you think their priority is re-enabling international travel? I wish it would be the case but to me that doesn't seem to be the case...

Hey, look at where the pandemic is right at the moment.  Demand for international travel is only barely starting to happen.  Give it a little time and when demand quickly builds, changes in how vaccinations are being documented for travelers will quickly change as well.  The economic health of any country will demand that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

It's actually a very fascinating subject...how the vaccination mechanism work in our bodies. 

It's humbling to realize that we live at a point in history where we have the power to make vaccinations a reality.   Quite a different reality than back in 1918 when people were dealing with the Spanish Flu, I guess you could say. ????

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I don't think UK are likely to reject the authenticity of Astrazenaca vaccines?

Unlike some other countries.

The point was about Border Control personnel accepting the Thai Vaccine certificate vs. the WHO International Vaccination Certificate but anyhow good luck with your Thai Vaccine certificate on your international travels!  

18 hours ago, VaccineHunter said:

It is much better because the WHO booklet is accepted around the globe whereas your Thai vaccine certificate is not.. how can that not be clear? 

I really cannot understand how a "WHO booklet" is more accepted than a document from a hospital.  I also see the WHO booklet states your passport number, which will change every 10 years. How do you/they deal with that?

Are there government websites that state what type vaccine documentation you need to travel? 

What I found is that you will still need a PCR test within 2-3 days of travel even if you are vaccinated (costly and time consuming)

I never had to show vaccine certificates or "WHO book" in Thailand, Costa Rica, Panama, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Canada, or Vietnam.  

ppcover.jpeg

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

I really cannot understand how a "WHO booklet" is more accepted than a document from a hospital.  I also see the WHO booklet states your passport number, which will change every 10 years. How do you/they deal with that?

Are there government websites that state what type vaccine documentation you need to travel? 

What I found is that you will still need a PCR test within 2-3 days of travel even if you are vaccinated (costly and time consuming)

I never had to show vaccine certificates or "WHO book" in Thailand, Costa Rica, Panama, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Canada, or Vietnam.  

ppcover.jpeg

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

ppcover.jpeg

then good luck to you entering one of the many countries where they have mandatory Yellow Fever Vaccination requirements and where this booklet is pre-requisite for entry...

if you try to make a (moot) point that this document is unnecessary just don't get one - no need to question me -  it is what it is...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Certificate_of_Vaccination_or_Prophylaxis

2 hours ago, VaccineHunter said:

The point was about Border Control personnel accepting the Thai Vaccine certificate vs. the WHO International Vaccination Certificate but anyhow good luck with your Thai Vaccine certificate on your international travels!  

The point was about the UK, having invented Astrazeneca, not accepting an Astrazeneca vaccination certificate from ANY country?