Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

21 hours ago, Jingthing said:

My inquiring mind wants to know. Will us Pattaya to Bangkok AZ. vaxxers be able to eventually get an mRNA booster in Pattaya or are we stuck on the Bsngkok jab track for the duration?

My experience suggest that hospitals are going to be very flexible about where you get your second dose, or booster.  I got my first dose at PhyaThai in july, and then a little over 4 weeks later got my second dose (Pfizer) at MedPark. 

MedPark accessed my records from the MOPH database and gave no resistance to me getting my second jab from them and did not make an issue about me wanting the second jab before the 12 week interval. 

What this means to me is that you are NOT locked into getting subsequent jabs from the same hospital that you got your 1st jab from, and the individual hospitals recognize that every person that is fully vaccinated is one less person that could potentially burden the healthcare system with Covid infections that require ICU care.

So, their priority is getting people fully vaccinated ASAP, not over burdening people with red tape.  In other words, the hospitals are trying to  handle vaccinations in the most efficient way possible, where as the government has done the exact opposite.

I haven't been following all of this since my second vaccination but Samithivej Sriracha Hospital here in Chon Buri is offering Pfizer to those over 60 (first vax) so I'd keep them bookmarked for future offerings of 2nd and booster jabs, just to avoid that long drive into Bangkok.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

My experience suggest that hospitals are going to be very flexible about where you get your second dose, or booster.  I got my first dose at PhyaThai in july, and then a little over 4 weeks later got my second dose (Pfizer) at MedPark. 

MedPark accessed my records from the MOPH database and gave no resistance to me getting my second jab from them and did not make an issue about me wanting the second jab before the 12 week interval. 

What this means to me is that you are NOT locked into getting subsequent jabs from the same hospital that you got your 1st jab from, and the individual hospitals recognize that every person that is fully vaccinated is one less person that could potentially burden the healthcare system with Covid infections that require ICU care.

So, their priority is getting people fully vaccinated ASAP, not over burdening people with red tape.  In other words, the hospitals are trying to  handle vaccinations in the most efficient way possible, where as the government has done the exact opposite.

I haven't been following all of this since my second vaccination but Samithivej Sriracha Hospital here in Chon Buri is offering Pfizer to those over 60 (first vax) so I'd keep them bookmarked for future offerings of 2nd and booster jabs, just to avoid that long drive into Bangkok.

We had at least one report here of a local asking BPH to do their second dose of AZ there. Absolutely not!

Anyway my question was about boosters not second doses!

But I'm wondering now about any expats that lost the plot on Phyathai 2 ending their AZ program very early. Where can they go now if anywhere?

I assume after 12 weeks or so they may be beyond the time window of getting a certificate, right?

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

We had at least one report here of a local asking BPH to do their second dose of AZ there. Absolutely not!

Anyway my question was about boosters not second doses!

But I'm wondering now about any expats that lost the plot on Phyathai 2 ending their AZ program very early. Where can they go now if anywhere?

I assume after 12 weeks or so they may be beyond the time window of getting a certificate, right?

My thoughts were about boosters as much as 2nd jabs.  My point is that the hospitals themselves seem very flexible in addressing the needs of expats.  The hospitals are looking at this all in a science-based way whereas the government is not.  It's ridiculous to be forced to wait 12 weeks for a 2nd jab according to the latest science based reasoning and the hospitals recognize this.  They also recognize that just because you got AZ as a first dose that not preclude you from getting Pfizer as a second dose.

As for boosters, by the time you need one, I have a feeling that overall supply here in Thailand will have caught up with demand and getting a booster locally will be no more difficult than getting a Flu shot.  What's more, unless you are a hospital worker or someone who works in close proximity to those infected, if you have received 2 jabs AZ or Pfizer, a booster may not even be necessary.

Edited by onthedarkside
vaccine misinformation content removed

Seems hospitals are more flexible now. Remember, a few weeks ago every announcement of vaccinations was prefaced -- in bold capital letters -- that only those seeking first doses would be accepted.  

Anyway, it seems most everyone on this thread has been successful getting full vaccination. Today marks the end of my 14-day wait for reaching full immunity with AZ. 

Coincidentally, I got an email confirmation today that my Thai record of AZ vaccination has been successfully recorded by my Canadian provincial health system. This is for the purpose of a "vaccine passport" that's now mandatory. Back to Canada, without (hopefully) facing quarantine (called self-isolation, actually), next week. It's all up to a federal airport officer. 

• Like 1

I also think boosters MAY be more generally accessible six .months from now but there really is no way to predict the future on such things. 

I am going by US mainstream policy which now states high risk people definitely should get a third shot booster for optimal protection. 

Yes its true mainstream science is saying we're all going to be exposed to the virus but the sensible thing is to be ready for that as much as possible. 

That includes personal health measures such as getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, considering supplements such as Vitamin D and zinc, and yes also a booster (depending on factors such as what your first two doses were and your risk profile).

All of the public programs have been crystal clear on how to be eligible. If you've already had any dose GO AWAY! Presumably they can check this in the national database so not cool to lie.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I also think boosters MAY be more generally accessible six .months from now but there really is no way to predict the future on such things. 

I am going by US mainstream policy which now states high risk people definitely should get a third shot booster for optimal protection. 

Yes its true mainstream science is saying we're all going to be exposed to the virus but the sensible thing is to be ready for that as much as possible. 

That includes personal health measures such as getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, considering supplements such as Vitamin D and zinc, and yes also a booster (depending on factors such as what your first two doses were and your risk profile).

All of the public programs have been crystal clear on how to be eligible. If you've already had any dose GO AWAY! Presumably they can check this in the national database so not cool to lie.

Sadly, I would not base my own decisions on ANYTHING related to "US mainstream policy" lately.  It seems to me that much of what is being said from official government sources or most mass media is based on political, rather than science-based considerations. 

Personally, i discount what politicians or mainstream news commentators report because many have proven themselves to not be credible, and most, whether they lean Left or Right, seem more interested in promoting a particular political agenda than providing factual information and leaving up to the public to make up their own mind

I only base my understanding of Covid-related matters on what very well vetted science based sources have to say, not political based hacks (and I include people like Dr. Anthony Fauci in that latter group).

It's a real shame these days that you can't just turn on your TV and get trustworthy journalism, as in the days of authentic "journalists" such as Walter Cronkite or Edward R. Murrow, who reported ONLY FACTS and left it to you to make your own decisions. 

Instead today, we have the likes of CNN's Jim Acosta, MSNBC's Rachel Maddow, or Fox's Sean Hannity, all of whom have very political biases and essentially tell you what you should believe, rather than doing the job of a journalist, which is to inform you of truthful, well vetted facts. 

Today's politicians and journalists just can not be trusted IMO, no matter if the lean to the Left or the Right. Never before in the history of modern civilizations has there been such outright misinformation and propaganda being spread as today!

I fully agree with you that it's best to do everything possible to optimize your immune system (i.e.: Vitamin D, zinc supplementation, etc) but that goes without saying.  Too many people today have seriously impaired immune response, and science is proving that much of it is metabolically caused (i.e.: poor nutrition). 

THAT is what people should focus on because Covid should not be one's only concern.  You are far more likely to die from metabolic-related syndromes such as Cardiac morbidity, Diabetes, Parkinson's or Alzheimer's, and these threats, as well as Covid can all be minimized by following sound nutritional guidelines that promote a strong immune response.

As for vaccinations, I believe they are essential for all people where it is not medically contraindicated, but this notion of "mandated vaccinations for all" just flies in the face of science.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

On 9/29/2021 at 10:48 AM, WaveHunter said:

Ive had two az jabs there , great service ,it was through mor prom ,just waiting to see about a phizer jab around christmas time as a booster, they gave me a "passport" saying i had two doses ,also one from mor prom.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not sure but have you registered here yet?

https://expatvac.consular.go.th/

I tried to register a while ago, but I couldn't, because I don't have a visa, and I don't see visa exempt or Covid extension as an option. Well, I guess I could just choose a random visa from the menu... but I try to avoid angering the authorities in Thailand.

Has there been any discussion of people without visas registering? 

3 hours ago, trappedinasia said:

I tried to register a while ago, but I couldn't, because I don't have a visa, and I don't see visa exempt or Covid extension as an option. Well, I guess I could just choose a random visa from the menu... but I try to avoid angering the authorities in Thailand.

Has there been any discussion of people without visas registering? 

Have you tried BHP, Pattaya?

They currently have a registration drive for non-Thais over 40's on their facebook page. See the details on their post of 29 September. This is for Pfizer. Worth a try and if any queries (e.g. visa/resident issues) they respond quickly to messenger questions. 

https://www.facebook.com/bangkokhospitalpattaya

Edited by dabhand

13 minutes ago, dabhand said:

They currently have a registration drive for non-Thais over 40's on their facebook page. See the details on their post of 29 September. This is for Pfizer. Worth a try and if any queries (e.g. visa/resident issues) they respond quickly to messenger questions. 

A medical condition including obesity and proof is required for eligibility. 

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

A medical condition including obesity and proof is required for eligibility. 

Nope. Non Thai 40 and over, or those with medical conditions.

Expand by clicking the 'see more' and all will be revealed.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dabhand said:

Great, thanks. I'll try this. 

21 hours ago, trappedinasia said:

Are there any options for someone under 60 on a Covid extension to get vaccinated in Chonburi?

Do you mean Chonburi City or Province? Vaccinations have certainly been available in Pattaya for that situation. 

1 hour ago, Harry2 said:

Made my third trip to Phyathai 2 yesterday. This time to try to get them to validate my Yellow Book (Intl Certificate of Vaccination). Which I was not able to do at the time of my 2nd jab, as it had not yet arrived from UK  - a consequence of the appointment being moved forward 2 weeks.

I went to the usual building, no queues for the lifts, no queues on the 9th floor, just a two person skeleton team seemingly mainly handing documentation issues/problems. I approached one of them with my Yellow Book & she instantly knew what I wanted, asked for my passport & vaccine certificate, & 15 minutes later returned with it correctly filled in & stamped. 

It obviously doesn't hurt to have the yellow book, but I'm not sure how important it is now. The digital certificate from the Mor Prom app is a national proof-of-vaccination certificate, in both Thai and English, with your relevant personal details on it plus details of the vaccines. That's everything the UK has asked for, anyway, so along with the paper certificate from the hospital I'd treat the yellow book as a backup to Mor Prom, just in case.

• Like 1

Complete newbie/dummy here. Just need a bit of closure from the people here who've done the process already

I'm going to Central Festival for my first AZ jab (with Bangkok Hospital Pattaya) on the 22nd October

- How likely is it that the operation will still be going in December when it's second dose time? (maybe a crystal ball question)

- Will the second one definitely be AZ? (I know it says clearly on the graphic, but I know how things can sometimes work here so I'm a bit jittery)

I just personally don't want to mix vaccines

Edited by ThailandPermanent

6 minutes ago, ThailandPermanent said:

Complete newbie/dummy here. Just need a bit of closure from the people here who've done the process already

I'm going to Central Festival for my first AZ jab (with Bangkok Hospital Pattaya) on the 22nd October

- How likely is it that the operation will still be going in December when it's second dose time? (maybe a crystal ball question)

- Will the second one definitely be AZ? (I know it says clearly on the graphic, but I know how things can sometimes work here so I'm a bit jittery)

I just personally don't want to mix vaccines, and I only want to have 2 x AZ.

I don't know of an instance that when someone was registered and received their first jab they didn't also receive their second jab after an appropriate interval.  Typically, you receive a vaccination receipt that lists the vaccine received and the date you should return to receive your second jab.  Possibly dates for the second jab have in some cases been brought forward or delayed but in my experience of reading these topics they earmark the needed second jabs when the first jabs are received.  My first and second jabs were done as scheduled.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, skatewash said:

I don't know of an instance that when someone was registered and received their first jab they didn't also receive their second jab after an appropriate interval.  Typically, you receive a vaccination receipt that lists the vaccine received and the date you should return to receive your second jab.  Possibly dates for the second jab have in some cases been brought forward or delayed but in my experience of reading these topics they earmark the needed second jabs when the first jabs are received.  My first and second jabs were done as scheduled.

Thank you very much

Putting my mind at rest

1 minute ago, ThailandPermanent said:

Thank you very much

Putting my mind at rest

Also, if you receive Sinovac for your first vaccine (which is unusual at this stage for foreigners) you would receive AstraZeneca for the second jab.  If you receive AstraZeneca for your first jab you would receive AstraZeneca for your second jab.  If you get Pfizer for your first jab you will get Pfizer for your second jab.  That is what is currently available for free. 

Some people have purchased in advance Moderna vaccines but I don't believe anyone has actually been vaccinated with Moderna in Thailand yet.  Sinopharm has also been purchased in some cases and received.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, skatewash said:

Also, if you receive Sinovac for your first vaccine (which is unusual at this stage for foreigners) you would receive AstraZeneca for the second jab.  If you receive AstraZeneca for your first jab you would receive AstraZeneca for your second jab.  If you get Pfizer for your first jab you will get Pfizer for your second jab.  That is what is currently available for free. 

Some people have purchased in advance Moderna vaccines but I don't believe anyone has actually been vaccinated with Moderna in Thailand yet.  Sinopharm has also been purchased in some cases and received.

I really appreciate this. Thank you so much

Edited by ThailandPermanent
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dabhand said:

Yet another BHP, Pattaya vaccine drive. AZ x2 on offer for any non Thai aged 18 or over. Appointments for later this month with daily limits, but still appear to have openings available as of now.

Thank you. In fact, thank you very much indeed.

I'm booked for the 22nd October, noon.

Again, sincerely, thank you. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThailandPermanent said:

How likely is it that the operation will still be going in December when it's second dose time? (maybe a crystal ball question)

The operation by the BHP at The Central Festival (BT) Mall has been running some time, and apart from a few crowded times, quite efficiently. Surprised you have had to wait so long but I would not worry, they are committed to doing the double shot requirement. 

• Like 1