Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

49 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I thought it was capped at 300. 

Bad form to have crowding like that.....

Got me a sore arm 1st day after, and some confusion second with a Pfizer jab. 

I didn't count but it sure looked like allot more.

Perhaps they had 300 reservations on the books but there was a huge line of "walk-ins."

Takes allot of organization to run show like that.

Stand in line for the consent form, next line for registering on the database, next appointment booking with printout, line up temperature check, then the jab + 30 minutes observation with info on the Covid Passport APP.

Was there around 4 hours.

Overall, they did a good job of it. The only improvement I would recommend is some organizing of the line/social distancing and mask police for the bozos.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 5:29 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I and others would like to know whether you have an official record, paper and/or electronic, of being fully vaccinated: AZ and Pfizer.  Many thanks. 

I also must travel in October and need to show up in the home country with a record of vaccination to avoid a 14-day quarantine. Not to mention the health benefits.

Yes, the second hospital gave me a certificate that listed both vaccinations.  However, it did not have a stamp on it like my certificate had from my first jab.  I've asked a few knowledgeable people if that matters, and the consensus is that it does not since the QR code is all that matters.  Still though, I think I might ask the hospital to send me one with a stamp on it.

1101957384_ScreenShot2021-09-12at3_57_30PM.jpg.148137433b1495895ac75789259ea7dc.jpg

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2021 at 1:12 PM, Harry2 said:

Wave thanks for sharing this. I don't blame you taking that route, I am also living like a hermit & want to do intl travel shortly. But how does this mixed vaccine approach affect your 'official' vaccination status both within Thailand & internationally? The main reason I am sitting it out till I get my 2nd AZ is because I have clarity, at least domestically, that my double AZ will be internally acceptable for fully vaccinated status via More Phrom etc.

From a science based perspective, mixed vaccines seem to be regarded positively in regard to efficacy and safety.   Actually there are some well regarded scientists who think mixed vaccines might actually have higher efficacy.

In fact, Thailand now has an official stance of providing AZ jabs as a second vaccination to many who received SinoVac as a first jab because it is increasingly being accepted that SinoVac does not deal as effectively with the Delta variant as most would prefer.

From a more pragmatic perspective, I have heard of no substantiated cases where someone with mixed vaccines listed on their certificates have been denied entry anywhere here in Thailand or abroad, so I feel pretty confident that it should be just fine for international travel.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Yes, the second hospital gave me a certificate that listed both vaccinations.  However, it did not have a stamp on it like my certificate had from my first jab.  I've asked a few knowledgeable people if that matters, and the consensus is that it does not since the QR code is all that matters.  Still though, I think I might ask the hospital to send me one with a stamp on it.

1101957384_ScreenShot2021-09-12at3_57_30PM.jpg.148137433b1495895ac75789259ea7dc.jpg

Guard that with your life. LOL. I will put mine in a heavy plastic sleeve. Thanks for this. 

On 8/28/2021 at 8:33 AM, EVENKEEL said:

Congratulations, What type of Vaccine Card were you given after being fully vaccinated?

Not a card, but a certificate with a QR code.  It would be nice if it was a card though.  Still though, it will fold up and fit nicely into my passport just like Imm paperwork does. And, I can simply keep a copy of it on my smartphone.

However, I'm not sure how important certificates or cards are going to be in the near future.  Here's the reason why:

There is absolutely no question that vaccines protect the individual from serious symptoms and avoiding the need for hospitalization if infected, BUT as the Delta variant proves, they do little to curb spreading the virus. 

Many well regarded scientists are starting to believe that everyone, regardless of vaccination status, will probably acquire the virus at some point in time (and therefore be able to spread it).  Many believe that herd immunity simply can not be achieved, just as is the case with viruses associated with the Flu and the common cold.

I think it's important to recognize what the vaccines are really capable of doing.  Simply put, they protect the individual (not the population as a whole) from serious symptoms and complications that would result in the need for hospital care if infected, and that most vaccinated infected people will essentially be asymptomatic, but they will not, in any way, stop the spread of the virus among the population as a whole.

So, from a pragmatic viewpoint, will there really be a need to prove vaccination since it is only protecting the individual, not the population as a whole?

I mean, the Delta variant will not be the last mutation of the virus.  The SARS-CoV-2 virus is increasingly behaving just like those associated with the Flu and the common cold, where mutations become more frequent, and we're never really rid of them; we just learn to live with them, and vaccinations are not intended to eradicate them, but rather to minimize dangerous symptoms.

Just my personal opinion of course, and I am certainly not downplaying the importance and urgency for everyone to become vaccinated.  I'm just saying you need to look at the scientific facts of what the vaccines are really capable of doing.  Unfortunately, helping us to reach herd immunity or eradicating the virus are just not in the cards, at least not right now or in the foreseeable future.

68486524_ScreenShot2021-09-12at3_57_30PM.jpg.4a8ffe371c421d6ffe205ca7c3c49f70.jpg

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Better yet, just save it to your smart phone. ????

Yup, I got that too. I got the first shot on the Mor Prom app and will get the second shot recorded at Phyathai 2 Hospital when I will be fully vaccinated on Tuesday, the 14th. However, then I will have to get this translated into English to meet the requirements of Canada to prove my full vaccination so I can skip the 14-day self-isolation. I simply do not want to do 14 days in an expensive room. Period.

On 9/4/2021 at 12:47 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Thanks. When was the date of your first jab? My first shot was July 21 (2nd Oct. 13, 12 weeks later) but it looks like your first was in June maybe? Just trying to get a reading on when my 2nd one might come along. If it's a 10-week gap now, that would put me back into end of September. Which would be a great relief! 

wife rang them today, i have the same  dates as you, a friend is 2 days later on the 15th, wife wanted to know if we could go on the same day, save a trip from ban chang, was told ok, just turn up with passport and appointment slip, but lady on phone said today was last day at phyathai 2 for 2nd shots and would now be done at SCB bank HQ Bangkok, anyone else heard, no mention of date change

20 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Yup, I got that too. I got the first shot on the Mor Prom app and will get the second shot recorded at Phyathai 2 Hospital when I will be fully vaccinated on Tuesday, the 14th. However, then I will have to get this translated into English to meet the requirements of Canada to prove my full vaccination so I can skip the 14-day self-isolation. I simply do not want to do 14 days in an expensive room. Period.

If you look at my certificate that I posed above it is in both Thai and English.  I would assume Phyathai would provide same.  Just be sure they give it to you with an official stamp and a QR code.  Really, I think the QR code is all you really need since Canada Imm will probably just scan that.

The cost of a quarantine stay is ridiculously high.  Even in Thailand the cost of a mandatory ASQ is around 30-40000 THB for me to re-enter even as a fully vaccinated person ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steve187 said:

wife rang them today, i have the same  dates as you, a friend is 2 days later on the 15th, wife wanted to know if we could go on the same day, save a trip from ban chang, was told ok, just turn up with passport and appointment slip, but lady on phone said today was last day at phyathai 2 for 2nd shots and would now be done at SCB bank HQ Bangkok, anyone else heard, no mention of date change

I got an email a week ago announcing Phyathai was expediting its second shot program. The last Phyathai day is tomorrow, Sept. 14. The email then said that for those who are still owed a second shot, they will be done elsewhere. So I guess SCB Bank is the place. 

My email was a heads-up, I guess, because of earlier emails where I asked to get an earlier shot.  At first they weren't keen, but now the hospital is keen to get us off their backs. I was offered a choice of dates up to the 14th at Phyathai. That made me very happy. So mine's tomorrow, 8 weeks after the first AZ vaccination. That gives me time to build up immunity and book a flight and accommodation in October.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

If you look at my certificate that I posed above it is in both Thai and English.  I would assume Phyathai would provide same.  Just be sure they give it to you with an official stamp and a QR code.  Really, I think the QR code is all you really need since Canada Imm will probably just scan that.

The cost of a quarantine stay is ridiculously high.  Even in Thailand the cost of a mandatory ASQ is around 30-40000 THB for me to re-enter even as a fully vaccinated person ????

Yeah, I was wondering that too. But I did notice on your certificate that everything's in English except the hospital name. Maybe when I get there tomorrow, I can ask them to write the hospital name in English. Don't know why they write it in Thai and everything else in English. TiT. 

15 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Yeah, I was wondering that too. But I did notice on your certificate that everything's in English except the hospital name. Maybe when I get there tomorrow, I can ask them to write the hospital name in English. Don't know why they write it in Thai and everything else in English. TiT. 

I don't think it really matters that the hospital name is not in English because down at the bottom under remarks it says the QR code verifies the vaccination through the MOPH, and that's far more "official" than having the name of the hospital appear.

Besides, I think the Imm official is far more likely to just scan the QR code and go by what he sees on the screen rather than than scrutinize the piece of paper, which anyone could easily forge, ya know?

But yeah, some ham-headed Canadian Imm officer could decide to give you a hard time, so if PhyaThai can have the hospital name also appear in English, that might be a wise thing to do...or if they put an official stamp on it, which they actually did for my first jab as shown below, then you are golden ????

2057589364_ScreenShot2021-09-13at4_38_18PM.jpg.eb1216f510fa30db0d85943a18195464.jpg

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I don't think it really matters that the hospital name is not in English because down at the bottom under remarks it says the QR code verifies the vaccination through the MOPH, and that's far more "official" than having the name of the hospital appear...but yeah, some ham-headed Canadian Imm officer could decide to give you a hard time, so if they can have the hospital name also appear in English, that might be a wise thing to do...or if they put an official stamp on it, which they actually did for my first jab as shown below, then you are golden ????

2057589364_ScreenShot2021-09-13at4_38_18PM.jpg.eb1216f510fa30db0d85943a18195464.jpg

That's perfect! But I didn't get anything as official as that from Phyathai for my first shot. Just the appointment paper. So I really have to be on the ball tomorrow and make sure they give me a similar certificate with stamp (very important) and signature. I believe that would do the trick 100%. Thanks. 

PS: Ah, I just noticed you have both shots on your certificate with the stamp and sig. That'll work just fine. Perfect, in fact.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

I got my second AZ shot yesterday at Phyathai 2 Hospital. This is 8 weeks after my first one, moved up from 12 weeks by the hospital. In and out in about an hour. Quite a busy place. Thais outnumbered foreigners at least a 50 to 1. Some younger Thais there. 

Staff were, as the first time, very helpful and patient. And hard working.

Too bad the hospital has under-sized corridors, rooms and elevators. This all caused some patient traffic jams and delays, especially at the tiny elevators. This was in Building A, floor 9.

They also handed me a smallish certificate of vaccination (about 6 in x 8 in) ALL in English and Thai  with a fresh signature and MoPH stamp. Except the name of the hospital is only in Thai. Anyway, it still looks like I will have to get the whole thing translated by an embassy approved service.

My Mor Prom app record was updated automatically. Another translation job, I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2021 at 4:48 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

That's perfect! But I didn't get anything as official as that from Phyathai for my first shot. Just the appointment paper. So I really have to be on the ball tomorrow and make sure they give me a similar certificate with stamp (very important) and signature. I believe that would do the trick 100%. Thanks. 

PS: Ah, I just noticed you have both shots on your certificate with the stamp and sig. That'll work just fine. Perfect, in fact.

Actually not, on my second vax, they listed both injections but no official looking stamp and signature (that was only on the first one). 

As I said though, I think the important part of the second "certificate" that listed both jabs is the QR Code. 

It is the scan of the QR code that an Imm officer will use to determine validity of your certificate, and what the official sees on his screen will be in English, so I see no need to get the paper certificate translated at all.

Of course, for peace of mind, it couldn't hurt to get the paper one stamped and officially translated...but that's gonna take a lot of legwork, I think, especially if you live outside of Bangkok.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

My second AZ jab is due in Phyathai2 hospital in Bangkok at the end of the month. After hearing that people in Hua Hin who had their first jab in Bangkok can now get the second one at a local hospital in Hua Hin, I thought I’d ask Phyathai2 if something similar is possible for people living in Pattaya. This is what they told me:

We would like to inform that Phyathai 2 Hospital is unable to transfer your vaccine allocation to another facility; nonetheless, please note that you can receive the second dose of your vaccine at any facility that is more convenient for you without the permission from our hospital. However, since we are unable to recommend a specific vaccination site, you will need to find a vaccination facility that can accommodate your request for the second dose.”

I called my current least-favourite private hospital in Pattaya, BHP, as I know they’re giving AZ shots, and asked them if it was possible and was given a clear reply: “cannot”. OK, so where in Pattaya or its environs can I get a second dose of AZ, instead of having to travel all the way to Bangkok, any ideas?

Edited by Guderian

@Guderian Do you have any travel plans, domestically or internationally?

As I was informed by Phyathai Tuesday, 14th, the Thailand Certificate of COVID19 Vaccination (image example in WaveHunter's post near the top of this page) will be needed for boarding domestic flights. Another certificate, for which you will need the aforementioned one as proof of vaccination (with QR code), will be available to buy at the airport for international flights. Who knows, you might even need it for the vax passport to get into eateries, malls, etc.

So keep all this in mind. I'm saying this because it would be best to complete your vaccinations at Phyathai and instantly get your certificate proof at the end of your 30-minute clearance. It's processed and handed to you as you leave. Up to you.

2 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

@Guderian Do you have any travel plans, domestically or internationally?

As I was informed by Phyathai Tuesday, 14th, the Thailand Certificate of COVID19 Vaccination (image example in WaveHunter's post near the top of this page) will be needed for boarding domestic flights. Another certificate, for which you will need the aforementioned one as proof of vaccination (with QR code), will be available to buy at the airport for international flights. Who knows, you might even need it for the vax passport to get into eateries, malls, etc.

So keep all this in mind. I'm saying this because it would be best to complete your vaccinations at Phyathai and instantly get your certificate proof at the end of your 30-minute clearance. It's processed and handed to you as you leave. Up to you.

Fair point.

You mentioned something about them not giving the second jabs at the hosptial anymore, but at an SCB office. No mention was made of that in the reply I got from onestop@phyathai. They already changed the date to bring it forward 16 days without asking me, you'd have thought they'd let me know if I was supposed to go elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Fair point.

You mentioned something about them not giving the second jabs at the hosptial anymore, but at an SCB office. No mention was made of that in the reply I got from onestop@phyathai. They already changed the date to bring it forward 16 days without asking me, you'd have thought they'd let me know if I was supposed to go elsewhere.

Right. Better give them a call then, since you have a long trip. Did you get a phone number on the email? 

Here it is anyway: 

Khristine Z. (Ms)
International Correspondence Center
Tel. No. +66 2617 2444 (Working hours: Mon-Sun 8.30 - 17.30)

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
Detail
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Right. Better give them a call then, since you have a long trip. Did you get a phone number on the email? 

Here it is anyway: 

Yeah, thanks, I've got their contact number and they're pretty good at answering queries in my experience so far.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 1:26 PM, WaveHunter said:

Does this passport stop you needing quarantine in most countries, for example the UK and USA/Oz?

15 hours ago, Ohyesuare said:

I checked and my date for the second vaccination on the Mor Prom app has been changed from October 12th to September 28th. Emailed them to confirm.

I haven't bothered installing the Mor Prom app yet so the change came as a total surpise to me when I asked them about changing the jab location. This is what they sent me:

...we would like to inform that as per our recent hospital announcement, the appointment for the second dose of AstraZeneca has been moved to 28th September 2021 instead of October 14, 2021

What recent hospital announcement? Did anyone see it? I suggest that everyone who has a second appointment in mid-October should check if it's been changed. It's basically good news so I'm not complaining, but it would have been a minor disaster if I'd just turned up at Phyathai2 in October, as originally planned, and missed the second shot.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Guderian said:

I haven't bothered installing the Mor Prom app yet so the change came as a total surpise to me when I asked them about changing the jab location. This is what they sent me:

...we would like to inform that as per our recent hospital announcement, the appointment for the second dose of AstraZeneca has been moved to 28th September 2021 instead of October 14, 2021

What recent hospital announcement? Did anyone see it? I suggest that everyone who has a second appointment in mid-October should check if it's been changed. It's basically good news so I'm not complaining, but it would have been a minor disaster if I'd just turned up at Phyathai2 in October, as originally planned, and missed the second shot.

I didn't see any announcement either. Apparently they are planning to send an SMS soon to confirm the changed date so as long as your number hadn't changed, you would know but not as much notice.

Edited by Ohyesuare
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, banglay said:

I checked the Mor Phom last week and noticed a change of date brought forwards 3 weeks . I contacted PhayaThai2 hospital for confirmation and got this Email back.

Dear Sir,

Greetings from Phyathai 2 Hospital!

Thank you for contacting us. We would like to inform that the hospital has initiated an expedited vaccination schedule for all remaining second dose of AstraZeneca at our hospital. We are due to send SMS reminders in the coming days to reconfirm the date and time of your vaccination. However, if you do not receive the SMS from our hospital within this week, you may use the date and time stated in the Mor Phrom app as confirmation or refer to the attached updated appointment card.

In addition, please be advised that the vaccination services will be at 9th floor Carpark A Building of Phyathai 2 Hospital. Kindly bring your original passport and previous appointment card during your visit for our vaccination team's reference.

For any further inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us anytime.

Best regards,

Klarisse Z. (Ms)

That's a lot more information than they gave me, but at least it confirms the location will still be the hospital (though another part of it, I think, weren't we in Building B last time?) and not at the SCB place.

11 minutes ago, Guderian said:

That's a lot more information than they gave me, but at least it confirms the location will still be the hospital (though another part of it, I think, weren't we in Building B last time?) and not at the SCB place.

Yeah ! Building "B"  for the first Jab ... and if the email is correct go direct to floor 9 Building  " A" for the second Jab ....

16 hours ago, Guderian said:

My second AZ jab is due in Phyathai2 hospital in Bangkok at the end of the month. After hearing that people in Hua Hin who had their first jab in Bangkok can now get the second one at a local hospital in Hua Hin, I thought I’d ask Phyathai2 if something similar is possible for people living in Pattaya. This is what they told me:

We would like to inform that Phyathai 2 Hospital is unable to transfer your vaccine allocation to another facility; nonetheless, please note that you can receive the second dose of your vaccine at any facility that is more convenient for you without the permission from our hospital. However, since we are unable to recommend a specific vaccination site, you will need to find a vaccination facility that can accommodate your request for the second dose.”

I called my current least-favourite private hospital in Pattaya, BHP, as I know they’re giving AZ shots, and asked them if it was possible and was given a clear reply: “cannot”. OK, so where in Pattaya or its environs can I get a second dose of AZ, instead of having to travel all the way to Bangkok, any ideas?

BHP is a ridiculous hospital when it comes to their policy on Covid vaccinations IMO.  Very unprofessional!  While a drive into Bangkok Is a pain, it's worth it.  From my experience, the professional, efficient and compassionate way that both PhyaThai and Med Park provided vaccinations to me was far superior.  

Things in Pattaya will probably change for the better in the future but for right now, just hire a driving service for the trip.  I've always used Tom's Taxi and they are GREAT...reliable, on time, nice cars, and friendly drivers. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Does this passport stop you needing quarantine in most countries, for example the UK and USA/Oz?

It's not a "passport"; it's just a certificate.  Right now, I think the Q-policy depends entirely on the destination country in question, and could easily change from one day to the next because so much of the "official" government policies are being driven by politics rather than hard science-based logic.  I think in the UK, everybody coming from Thailand must undergo mandatory Q no matter what their vaccination status is.  In the US, I think it is the exact opposite at the moment.

Once truly science-based logic is the rule, this whole notion of "vaccine passports" will be moot because the science-based reasoning that is fast emerging is that vaccinations are NOT going to protect populations as a whole (i.e.: herd immunity), but only the individual. 

So, being vaccinated is essential for the individual so that when (not if) they contact the virus, their symptoms will be minimal and probably not require hospitalization BUT the simple truth seems to be emerging that EVERYONE in the world, at some time, will contract the virus (just like the Flu or common cold)...so, proving that you are vaccinated means very little in terms of protecting the population at large.