Thailand to receive 3.5 million more doses of Sinovac vaccine in May

webfact

2021-04-30T112147Z_1_LYNXMPEH3T0N9_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A health worker prepares to administer the Sinovac coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccine at the Samut Sakhon hospital in Samut Sakhon province, Thailand, February 28, 2021. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand will next month receive another 3.5 million doses of Sinovac Biotech's coronavirus vaccine, a senior health official said on Friday, as the country seeks to shore-up supplies amid its biggest outbreak so far.

One million doses will arrive on May 6 and two million more are due by the end of May, said Witoon Danwiboon, head of the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO).

An additional 500,000 doses would be donated by the Chinese government, he told a briefing.

Thailand's latest coronavirus outbreak, which includes the highly transmissible B.1.1.7 variant, has accounted for about half of its overall cases and deaths during the pandemic, with 36,290 infections and 109 fatalities in April alone.

Health authorities reported 1,583 new cases and 15 more deaths on Friday and said 250 patients were on ventilators.

Thailand has yet to start its mass vaccination drive but has been administering the 2.5 million doses of the Sinovac vaccine it has received so far mainly to health workers or people deemed at risk of exposure.

The mass vaccinations will rely heavily on 61 million shots of AstraZeneca's vaccine to be produced locally from June.

Drug distributor, Zuellig Pharma, has submitted a request for emergency use authorisation and to import the Moderna vaccine to Thailand, a health ministry source told Reuters.

If approved, it would be the fourth vaccine authorised for use in Thailand.

The Thai government has also started discussions with representatives of Sinopharm about its vaccine, Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said.

Thailand has also approached India's Bharat Biotech and Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer's and the makers of Russia's Sputnik V.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat and Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Martin Petty)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-05-01

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jimbone said:

It's unfortunate that Thailand seems to be relying, at present, on Sinovac, one of the worst vaccines one could receive. And, if I remember correctly, the reason they are so late in getting vaccines was because they didn't pre-order, but wanted to wait to make sure the vaccines worked (and, in consequence, pay a higher price).  While Sinovac may be better than nothing, with so many others available, why go for one of the worst? 

Sinovac is on the bottom of the effectiveness list. It also has a record of causing blood clots. Why would anyone in their right mind want to use it. What about the kick back from China to those who buy it. Thailand needs to forget Sinovac. June 1 a new Thai factory will open producing AstraZeneca. Why take a chance with cheap Chinese junk? Wait till the end of May.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Poet said:

Because this is Thailand and the factory will almost certainly not be opening on June 1st.

The generals need to be able to announce that they are ready to restart mass tourism by June, when Westerners start receiving their vaccine passports and will be eager to make bookings. If a solid announcement, including dropping the quarantine requirement for the second half of the year (July 1st onwards), is not ready by June, they can kiss goodbye to this year's high season.

Part of the narrative will be that Thailand has already innoculated its most vulnerable citizens. It does not matter that the Chinese vaccine is ineffective, or that several blood clot deaths will have to be covered up. All that matters is the narrative.

People travelling on vaccine related passports will still have to be tested as they can be host to the virus.Letting them in would be catastrophic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jimbone said:

It's unfortunate that Thailand seems to be relying, at present, on Sinovac, one of the worst vaccines one could receive. And, if I remember correctly, the reason they are so late in getting vaccines was because they didn't pre-order, but wanted to wait to make sure the vaccines worked (and, in consequence, pay a higher price).  While Sinovac may be better than nothing, with so many others available, why go for one of the worst? 

Anutin has stated that people cannot choose which vaccine they have due to the concern over side effects of the shots, presumably Sinovac.

• Haha 1

WARNING

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules will result in an immediate ban.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

I also question Sinovac's effectiveness with the UK strain, its never been tested for that before.

It is effective....Turkey's cases are 75% UK variant.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/COVID-vaccines/Turkey-says-China-s-Sinovac-vaccine-is-significantly-effective

The South African is the only variant which lacks data about most of the vaccines except AZ.  The government has ordered Sputnik and Sinopharm vaccines, but the evaluation is ongoing, no real data.

From what I've seen the J&J vaccine seem to be a really good vaccine, hopefully the government here can get some.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

With many, if not all of the Vaccines, it is a race to Vaccinate people before these Mutations get a real grip, and unleash something that potentially could be far worse than anything seen thus far.

If the Mutations take over, then the Vaccines become virtually useless.

This is the Major priority for getting people Vaccinated quickly.

A concept that has completely escaped some Governments sadly

As a point of information, none of the currently known variants emerged after significant numbers of people were vaccinated. That means that the current variants are not likely to breach the immunity of the vaccinated.

The problem will come when a variant appears that evolved among vaccinated individuals.

46 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Many of these Doses of Vaccine will have been " wasted " on inoculating people who are outside of these categories.

People have been Inoculated that are not at risk, and are able to pay for Vaccines through Cronyism or some other means.

Just a couple of days ago, some guy posted on here, who said he was from Samui, reckoned he had already had 2 jabs, and said it was because he was in the Tourist Industry, and had been offered the Vaccines by Local Health Officials.

With Vaccines in short supply, why was a person in the Tourist Industry fully inoculated, when Tourism is a dead Duck for several Months at least, and with him having little risk of exposure.

I dont blame this guy for getting Vaccinated, as many of us , if  offered, would accept the offer of jabs. The whole system is broken...thats the problem

As I have already said........vaccines wasted

Yup....around 30% of the Thais in Samui had 2 Sinovac jabs already.  My gf had her second one last week. I know quite a few people below 30 vaccinated...not in any risk group.  Trying to vaccinate the tourist spots first is wrong, the tourists are not coming anyway. The jabs should go to the health staff and other risk groups.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Poet said:

...but it is clear to me that mass tourism is about to bounce back hard during the second half of this year in the countries that decide to recognize vaccine passports and drop quarantine requirements.

I hope your optimism turns out to be true.  I'm a realist.  I expect further outbreaks of new and virulent Covid strains across the world, that will continue to greatly affect the world economy and individual's own finances.

I'm guessing around 2025 before mass tourism returns - and I'm being optimistic!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Sinovac is the only vaccine which has some real world data about effectiveness agains P.1 :

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/04/chinese-covid-19-vaccine-maintains-protection-variant-plagued-brazil

None of the other vaccines have real world data against P.1 , only "lab" studies. Probably expected, as P.1 is still mostly in Brazil.

This is pre print and still only interim results, best to wait for the final peer reviewed version before making conclusions

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.04.07.21255081v1

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Sinovac is the only vaccine which has some real world data about effectiveness agains P.1 :

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/04/chinese-covid-19-vaccine-maintains-protection-variant-plagued-brazil

None of the other vaccines have real world data against P.1 , only "lab" studies. Probably expected, as P.1 is still mostly in Brazil.

Found 49.6% effective in a large group of medical workers in an area that has 75% P.1 variant cases.  So similar to original trial.

56 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

The vaccine programme said those over 60 will be first on the list for the vaccine... so they get Sinovac which cannot be administered to over 60's ... great planning.

Maybe it is considered the over 60s are the most expendable in the mass trials for effective vaccines, and the chinese vaccine is deemed least effective anyway