Health Insurance Requirements When Returning on a Re-entry Permit

On 5/4/2021 at 8:43 PM, jimn said:

Only the $100k Covid is required from the UK with existing retirement e

I had this confirmed by email yesterday (13 May 2021) by RTE London, they added ' please print the insurance certificate and all pages of the terms and conditions on the COVID coverage and medical benefits (some people were refused to board the flight because they could not show that their insurance meet this 'requirement).'

When you do not already have insurance that complies with the CoE requirements and covers the required period, the AXA Sawasdee travel-insurance policy would be a worthwhile option.

That policy meets BOTH the:

- 400K/40K in/out-patient health-insurance requirement; AND

- the 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment coverage requirement.

Since it is issued by a Thai TGIA-associated insurer, it will also cover the cost of hospitalization when tested positive for covid on arrival or during quarantaine.

The policy can be taken for periods of 3 months and will cost approx 7.000 THB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

For the purposes of research what is exactly is required for a retiree returning on a expired multi entry visa and the costs involved as I'm beginning to crack faster than the fools at TAT????

I assume returning from the UK?

Well,  the Non Imm O ME Visa is no longer available from the UK.

Single or married?

How long do you intend to stay?

51 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I assume returning from the UK?

Well,  the Non Imm O ME Visa is no longer available from the UK.

Single or married?

How long do you intend to stay?

Married 6 years of retirement visas stuck in my passport  as I have now sold everything in the UK indefinitely ????

1 minute ago, sammieuk1 said:

Married 6 years of retirement visas stuck in my passport  as I have now sold everything in the UK indefinitely ????

I would recommend you apply for the Non Imm O SE from the Thai Embassy based on marriage.

Only Covid Insurance required, no Health Insurance requirement, then apply directly for the 1 year extensions of stay based on marriage. 400K in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Your letter and reply from the Embassy suggests that both the Covid and Health Insurance are required for the COE

Wrong! My question states:

17 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Also will ONE UK INSURANCE POLICY

with cover exceeding the $100,000, 400,000thb in and 40,000thb out patient Covid19 requirement be acceptable to you please?

Either you or your friends report is incorrect.

You are calling me and my friend a liar again! What is wrong with you man? I helped him with the application and I have seen his passport and insurance policy!

A 6 month Nationwide travel Insurance policy simply wouldn't meet the requirements for a Non Imm O-A Visa.

It did. You are denying reality again!

I only post on here information based on 1st hand experience or verified knowledge of others 1st hand experience.

Can I ask you on what authority you are posting this info. above and in other threads, and making the claims that you are making and stating that what others are posting is false? At the end you write...."those who are in the know will confirm the above information". This is simply not good enough. Have you recently applied for re-entry or any of these visas from the UK or elsewhere yourself? Unless you can demonstrate that you have 1st hand verified knowledge or experience of what you are stating to be facts then it remains pure unsubstantiated speculation; i.e., BS., i.e., fake news. Most of us know that, because of poor English ability and translation, ambiguity and interpretation,  to accept what is posted on any Thai government website as fact is a big mistake. Also how rules are implemented varies from place to place, immigration office to immigration office, country to country and time to time. We can only do our best to try to interpret the information and rules provided by the Thais in English.  So when we attempt to pass this on to others on forums like this we should make this absolutely clear and  not claim it to be fact or universally true or actually being implemented on the ground. And this is exactly what you seem to be doing Tanoshi and in doing so I believe that you are seriously misleading others, and the moderators should be picking up on this and banning you from this forum. Try being a politician instead. I think you would do very well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Wrong! My question states:

23 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Also will ONE UK INSURANCE POLICY

with cover exceeding the $100,000, 400,000thb in and 40,000thb out patient Covid19 requirement be acceptable to you please?

As previously stated there are two separate Insurance requirements, but not both apply to all types of entry, just certain types. The separate Insurance requirements can be combined in one policy.

I've never commented to the contrary on that.

In your case only the Covid Insurance is required, which must cover the duration of stay.

I only post on here information based on 1st hand experience or verified knowledge of others 1st hand experience.

Same, plus Thai Embassy website and Police Order information.

You are calling me and my friend a liar again! What is wrong with you man? I helped him with the application and I have seen his passport and insurance policy!

11 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

A 6 month Nationwide travel Insurance policy simply wouldn't meet the requirements for a Non Imm O-A Visa.

It did. You are denying reality again!

It's difficult to fully rely on a story from a poster based on the experience of a friend.

However if you wish to continue with your argument that your friend obtained a Non Imm O-A Visa with a 6 month Insurance policy from Nationwide, I suggest you open a separate topic on that  particular subject to receive further replies.

I stand by my reply regarding the Insurance for a Non Imm O-A Visa application.

I also stand by my reply that a foreign Insurance policy is unacceptable to obtain extensions of stay based on entry from a Non Imm O-A Visa.

Fact, a Non Imm O-A Visa permits a stay of 1 year on entry.

Fact, the period of Insurance (if applicable) must cover the period of stay.

By all means if you feel I am intentional giving misleading or false information V the information from your friend, please report this post to a Moderator.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

As previously stated there are two separate Insurance requirements, but not both apply to all types of entry, just certain types. The separate Insurance requirements can be combined in one policy.

I've never commented to the contrary on that.

In your case only the Covid Insurance is required, which must cover the duration of stay.

It's difficult to fully rely on a story from a poster based on the experience of a friend.

However if you wish to continue with your argument that your friend obtained a Non Imm O-A Visa with a 6 month Insurance policy from Nationwide, I suggest you open a separate topic on that  particular subject to receive further replies.

I stand by my reply regarding the Insurance for a Non Imm O-A Visa application.

I also stand by my reply that a foreign Insurance policy is unacceptable to obtain extensions of stay based on entry from a Non Imm O-A Visa.

Fact, a Non Imm O-A Visa permits a stay of 1 year on entry.

Fact, the period of Insurance (if applicable) must cover the period of stay.

The info provided by Tanoshi is fully correct.

A small comment which might clarify the issue re the 6-month insurance.

As Tanoshi wrote 'a Non Imm O-A Visa permits a stay of 1 year on entry'. 

When entering Thailand on a new Non Imm O-A Visa you would need both:

- a 400K/40K in/out-patient health insurance policy

- the 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment insurance which is required for EVERYONE currently entering Thailand.

Now it is indeed possible that your friend applied for and got the Non Imm O-A Visa with a 400K/40K health-insurance policy valid for 6 months.

But the consequence of doing so, is that the 'insurance note' in his passport will mention that 6-month policy expiry date, and on entering Thailand he would then be stamped in not for the full year that his Non Imm O-A Visa entry normally entitles him to, but his permission to stay will be capped to the health insurance expiry date as indicated on that note.

If he did this, it is even possible that since his permission to stay will be capped to 6 months, that he only needed the 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment insurance for same period.

However, it should be clear that by doing so and thus losing 6 months of the potential 1-year permission to stay his Non Imm O-A Visa entitles him to, would only be advantageous in very specific cases.  And if he intended to stay long-term in Thailand it would have been better (and ultimately also cheaper) if he had subscribed for a 1-year period for the insurance, when opting for the cheapest insurance solution covering both requirements.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I was previously of the opinion that for those re-entering Thailand on a re-entry permit on an extension of stay based on retirement the 400/40K Health Insurance was indeed a requirement.

I based this not so much on the rather vague information given on the Thai Embassy website (London), but on correspondence I've witnessed between applicants and the Thai Embassy.

After some research, it appears apparent that to obtain the required COE, no Health Insurance is required in this situation, but correspondence with the Embassy suggests otherwise.

I had a returning friend in the UK asking the same question. After reading reports on TVF, I advised him to apply for the COE supplying his extension, re-entry permit and only the Covid Insurance.

As others have already stated, his COE was issued without question.

It sounds like this changed. Perhaps embassies got clarification from MFA.

Does anyone have an update on this for the US?

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Its not changed. As far as I know it is only the UK in Europe that will issue a COE for an EXISTING extension of stay based on retirement with a re entry permit, based on only the $100k Covid insurance. For new Non O Retirement applications they require the 40k/400k as well. Many of the European countries require the 40k/400k insurance as well as the $100k Covid on All Retirement Non O based COE applications.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sheryl said:

As of when? I have nto seen recent report. Did you enter from US in past month or so?

I am British. With respect what has the US got to do with this topic, its about requirements from the UK

On 5/15/2021 at 12:58 PM, Sheryl said:

No, it appears it's always been the case, but those that corresponded with the London Embassy due to the ambiguity of the wording surround this subject on their website, have been led to believe both the Covid and Health Insurances are required.

If you don't contact the Embassy and just apply for the COE with only the Covid Insurance they are being approved.

On 5/15/2021 at 12:58 PM, Sheryl said:

The US website specifically states the Health Insurance is a requirement for the COE returning on a re-entry permit from an extension based on retirement.

On 5/15/2021 at 7:00 AM, Peter Denis said:

When entering Thailand on a new Non Imm O-A Visa you would need both:

- a 400K/40K in/out-patient health insurance policy

- the 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment insurance which is required for EVERYONE currently entering Thailand.

As one of the Insurance guru's of this forum, I sent you a link to download the PDF's pertaining to this particular Travel Insurance policy, which is not specific.

I certainly don't think this type of policy would be suitable for any Visa application in it's current form for entry to Thailand, which is quite specific on the requirements.

Appreciate your comments when you've had time to view the PDF's.

52 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The US website specifically states the Health Insurance is a requirement for the COE returning on a re-entry permit from an extension based on retirement.

Where do you see that? I only find it listed under obtaining a new visa

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

As one of the Insurance guru's of this forum, I sent you a link to download the PDF's pertaining to this particular Travel Insurance policy, which is not specific.

I certainly don't think this type of policy would be suitable for any Visa application in it's current form for entry to Thailand, which is quite specific on the requirements.

Appreciate your comments when you've had time to view the PDF's.

@Tanoshi

To meet the Thai Embassy requirement re 400K/40K health-insurance when applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa (currently also required when applying for a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement), applicants can make use of both foreign and Thai insurance policies to comply.

However, when opting for foreign insurance (often because you are already having such policy) you would need to have your insurer fill in and sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate, where they state that your insurance meets both the 400K in-patient and 40K out-patient coverage.  The problem is of course having to convince your insurer to sign that document which refers to Thai legislation which they are not familiar with, and hence they will be reluctant to do so.

But when the foreign insurer is willing to fill in and sign that FIC, the applicant will meet the 400K/40K health-insurance requirement.

And indeed it would be best if the policy should cover the 12-month period a Non Imm O-A Visa entry could provide you on entry, but that is NOT required.  And this for the simple reason that the policy expiry date will be mentioned by the Thai Embassy in a note on the Non Imm O-A Visa you will be provided.  And when entering Thailand you would be stamped in for whichever is shorter:

- the 12 months a Non Imm O-A Visa entitles you to

OR

- till the expiry date of that health-insurance policy mentioned in the note on your passport.

This allows people that already have a health-insurance policy that meets the 400K/40K requirements to make use of their policy, even if it expires earlier. 

But the consequence then is that those on a Non Imm O-A Visa of which the permission to stay was capped till expiry date of their foreign policy, would then have to apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement earlier than the normal 12 months.  And doing so they will also have to subscribe at that earlier date to a THAI health-insurance policy.  Hence my earlier comment that it is only in very specific cases that it would be advantageous to make use of a foreign policy that expires e.g. after 6 months.

Hope this clarifies the matter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You responded to a question specifically about the US.

No you replied to a question about the UK and stated "it sounds like this has changed" I responded to that. You then asked a second question about the US, which I was not refering too.

Edited by jimn

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Where do you see that? I only find it listed under obtaining a new visa

Visa and Certificate of Entry for Non-Thai nationals who wish to obtain a retirement visa or a long-stay visa (Non-Immigrant Category O (retirement) / O-A / O-X) or who is currently holding re-entry permit for such visas

» Visa and Certificate of Entry for Non-Thai nationals who wish to obtain a retirement visa or a long-stay visa (Non-Immigrant Category O (retirement) / O-A / O-X) or who is currently holding re-entry permit for such visas (thaiembdc.org)

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” (retirement)

Eligibility:
4. Applicant must have a Thai health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for outpatient treatment of no less than 40,000 baht and inpatient treatment of no less than 400,000 baht

For both the Non O Visa and the COE if returning on a re-entry permit from an extension based on retirement from a Non O.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Visa and Certificate of Entry for Non-Thai nationals who wish to obtain a retirement visa or a long-stay visa (Non-Immigrant Category O (retirement) / O-A / O-X) or who is currently holding re-entry permit for such visas

» Visa and Certificate of Entry for Non-Thai nationals who wish to obtain a retirement visa or a long-stay visa (Non-Immigrant Category O (retirement) / O-A / O-X) or who is currently holding re-entry permit for such visas (thaiembdc.org)

Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O” (retirement)

Eligibility:
4. Applicant must have a Thai health insurance for the duration of stay, with coverage for outpatient treatment of no less than 40,000 baht and inpatient treatment of no less than 400,000 baht

For both the Non O Visa and the COE if returning on a re-entry permit from an extension based on retirement from a Non O.

I don't read it that way. It is item 4 under requirement for getting the visa.

I do not see anywhere stating it is required to get a COE if already holding a re-entry permit. They may be asking for it -- I know they were previously -- but I do mot see anyrhing on the website that says so.

29 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I don't read it that way. It is item 4 under requirement for getting the visa.

I do not see anywhere stating it is required to get a COE if already holding a re-entry permit. They may be asking for it -- I know they were previously -- but I do mot see anyrhing on the website that says so.

Or is currently holding a re-entry permit for such Visas.

Obviously there would be no need to apply for a Visa if your hold a re-entry permit, but the same conditions applying for a Visa, also apply for the COE if having a re-entry permit.

Requirements for Visas and COE for Non Thai nationals.

By far the easiest way to find out 100% is as I advised a friend in the UK recently. If you have a re-entry permit, just supply the Covid Insurance for the COE. If you also need the Health Insurance they'll ask for it.

Edited by Tanoshi

14 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

By far the easiest way to find out 100% is as I advised a friend in the UK recently. If you have a re-entry permit, just supply the Covid Insurance for the COE. If you also need the Health Insurance they'll ask for it.

That is what I will do of course but as it is some months away would be useful to know people's experience.

10 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

So if went to get a reentry permit at Chaeng wattana is there any requirement for any insurance to get it?

No.

The Insurance requirements are for re-entering Thailand and dependant on the Visa or extension type.

The $100,000 Covid Insurance is required by all entries.

The 400/40K Health Insurance is only required for certain entries.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 9:44 AM, Peter Denis said:

@Tanoshi

To meet the Thai Embassy requirement re 400K/40K health-insurance when applying for a Non Imm O-A Visa (currently also required when applying for a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement), applicants can make use of both foreign and Thai insurance policies to comply.

However, when opting for foreign insurance (often because you are already having such policy) you would need to have your insurer fill in and sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate, where they state that your insurance meets both the 400K in-patient and 40K out-patient coverage.  The problem is of course having to convince your insurer to sign that document which refers to Thai legislation which they are not familiar with, and hence they will be reluctant to do so.

But when the foreign insurer is willing to fill in and sign that FIC, the applicant will meet the 400K/40K health-insurance requirement.

And indeed it would be best if the policy should cover the 12-month period a Non Imm O-A Visa entry could provide you on entry, but that is NOT required.  And this for the simple reason that the policy expiry date will be mentioned by the Thai Embassy in a note on the Non Imm O-A Visa you will be provided.  And when entering Thailand you would be stamped in for whichever is shorter:

- the 12 months a Non Imm O-A Visa entitles you to

OR

- till the expiry date of that health-insurance policy mentioned in the note on your passport.

This allows people that already have a health-insurance policy that meets the 400K/40K requirements to make use of their policy, even if it expires earlier. 

But the consequence then is that those on a Non Imm O-A Visa of which the permission to stay was capped till expiry date of their foreign policy, would then have to apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement earlier than the normal 12 months.  And doing so they will also have to subscribe at that earlier date to a THAI health-insurance policy.  Hence my earlier comment that it is only in very specific cases that it would be advantageous to make use of a foreign policy that expires e.g. after 6 months.

Hope this clarifies the matter.

The foreign insurance certificate was not required from the London embassy when I applied for a SE retirement O visa and a friend applied for an OA visa both with foreign (UK) insurance in December 2020.

The only thing that will 'clarify the matter' is direct communication with your embassy by email or phone. Email is better as you then have it in writing.

• Like 1

This discussion is interesting since I am considering travel to the US this summer to get my vaccine then returning.  I have an extension of stay based on retirement.  I originally had a non-imm O visa obtained several years ago after entering Thailand on a tourist visa.  I will get my re-entry permit before I leave Thailand.  There appears to be differing opinions about the 400k/40k insurance requirements.  Here is what I found at the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles.  From this graphic, returning with a re-entry permit, I will only need the COVID insurance

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/non-o/

0115250E-53FC-440B-9143-96560C629BA6.png

yes, I have seen that but last year at least it seems they were asking for proof of the 40/400 insurance later in the process i.e. before actually issuing the COE. the same was true in the UK but now there are reports that UK no longer does. I haven't seen a recent first hand report from US.

In my case trip is definite with return probably start of September though I may delay if it looks at that point like quarantine will be lifted anytime soon. I will apply for COE enough in advance to be able to get 40/400k policy if they demand it, have already consulted my broker and it can be done pretty fast (LMG policy with 200K deductible, I already have good "real"" insurance so this would be purely to meet the COE requirement). I plan to apply without it and see what happens.

• Like 2