Changing the filter in an Air Purifier?

OneMoreFarang

I bought the Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier 3H beginning of this year. And it worked great. I could sleep a lot better even with real bad air quality outside.

Now it seems the air quality in my home is not as good anymore even if the device tells me the AQI is good - often under 10.

The device also shows me "Filter remaining 43%". Now I wonder if I can trust those numbers.

Maybe I should buy a new filter and maybe then all will be perfect again.

How is your experience?

Do you have this or a similar air purifier and did you change the filter earlier than advertised? Did it make a difference?

try cleaning with hoover - first sucking, later blowing remains. Exposing active carbon to strong sunshine or temperature will also clean it (do it on balcony, in an open air, not in the room).

I don't know haw xaomi is build, but my cheapo chinese purifiers do take additional cotton filter sheets (lazada 70x30cm for 12b from china or 20b from thailand). Those can be washed multiple times, when dirty. They do also fit in aircon outlet

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

In addition to vacuuming our Xiamoi filters, we also clean them with a dry brush in the shower stall first.  We've found the "filter remaining" readings on the device to be accurate.  Are you sure you have genuine filters?

2 minutes ago, NancyL said:

In addition to vacuuming our Xiaomi filters, we also clean them with a dry brush in the shower stall first.  We've found the "filter remaining" readings on the device to be accurate.  Are you sure you have genuine filters?

Thanks

Am I sure? I would say pretty sure. I bought the air purifier from a Xiaomi online store. And if worked great when I bought it. And I plan to buy a replacement filter from the same store.

Your supposed to change the Mi Air filters every 3 months.  I don't use it all the time so I change them every 6 or so.  Thailand is so smoky up North where I live I would change them every 2 months if I used them all the time.  We aren't home that much with traveling.

I run 2 air filters 24/7.  

Change the filters as often as you see fit.  Whether you trust the "change now" indicator or not, the filter is constantly decreasing in efficiency due to clogging and you may not wish it to reach the point of full saturation before changing.  

Even if you are getting low readings, the filter decreases in efficiency with each hour of operation and the charcoal is not be as effective as when new, so enough smells and other microparticles may be getting through to bother you, even past a hepafilter.

And "NO" exposing charcoal to sunlight does not clean it.  Charcoal is a particulate filter and sunlight will do nothing.  Charcoal can be reactivated with washing and heating in an oven, but it will never return to initial levels of filtration.

• Thanks 1

I don't think that PM2.5 particles have affect on your sleep! They are to small for that. But maybe there is additional pollen in the air now that you did not have before? I don't know if there are pollen at all in Thailand. Anyway, if there is, that might be that the air cleaner are not up to cleaning that. Do you have a Hepa Filter? I mean real Hepa not the chinese stuff there is in some cleaners. Should be Hepa 11 at least. Hepa 12 is even better. I don´t think that Xiaomi have the real Hepa filters at least last time I checked (about 2 years ago). Just the old Hepa standard that western countries not uses anymore.

The company from which I buy my Xiaomi filters on Lazada, claims that the filters are HEPA H13:  these are the relatively new black filters.  (as opposed to the grey, green, and purple filters that have been around for awhile and are rated below H13)

6 minutes ago, LarryLEB said:

The company from which I buy my Xiaomi filters on Lazada, claims that the filters are HEPA H13:  these are the relatively new black filters.  (as opposed to the grey, green, and purple filters that have been around for awhile and are rated below H13)

Thanks, can you please post a link to that.

1 hour ago, LarryLEB said:

I have bought all 3 air purifiers and the filters mentioned in my post from Thuntarin company on Lazada.  Here is the link:  https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i708516770-s1364202507.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

Thanks, I will try one of those. I checked on the Xiaomi website. They have a black filter which I didn't see on their site previously. 

• 2 weeks later...