PM declares vaccination national agenda as he urges all Thais to be vaccinated

webfact

Every Thai with whom I have discussed it, all educated, including one pharmacist, is waiting for Moderna.  They have zero interest in the <deleted> made in India, China and Thailand and will NOT get it.   India was the hub for Astra Zeneca and look what has happened there.  Next thing you know the Thai PM will be telling us to drink bovine urine and smear ourselves with the animal's excrement.   https://worldofbuzz.com/citizens-in-india-are-bathing-in-cow-dung-urine-to-boost-immunity-against-covid-19/

Maybe he'll show us how it's done on TV.  I hope so.

When something appears only better than nothing, maybe it isn't.  

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Got to get popular Thai (even international) celebrities involved in the persuasion campaign. If that fails, just pay people to do it. 

I think first need to have vaccine available and ready instead of changing dates, making promises with nothing in the bag

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The only question that remains is where are the reliable vaccines?? Pfizer, Moderna, Sputnik V and Astra Zenica??  O I forgot the second half of this year probably around December.. So we will but we can't

Very good question .how many ppl do u know who as been vaccinated?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

The only question that remains is where are the reliable vaccines?? Pfizer, Moderna, Sputnik V and Astra Zenica??  O I forgot the second half of this year probably around December.. So we will but we can't

Many want to deliberately misinterpret what gets said, the June start is not entirely dependent on local production.

Good article in BKpost 5th Feb that clarifies the situation from both sides.

Google "send Covid jabs from Asia".

7 hours ago, webfact said:

According to the prime minister, Thailand would be the production hub of the British-made AstraZeneca vaccine in Asean

It's comforting to know that Thailand will once again be the hub of something. Is there anything that the country is not the hub of?

• Haha 2

In a land where amulets provide protection, crowds gather around a deformed cow to divine the lottery numbers, and other such superstitions, I think the government will have a hard time persuading the countryfolk to get their vaccinations.

Maybe offering 100THB to everyone that does might increase the uptake. Making sure it's not open to abuse of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

You are having a laugh. how much do you think it cost the UK to invest in the 7 different vaccines over a year ago and then add on Moderna. Thailand is not in that position to afford gambling on the same scale. Thailand waited until some progress was made and last October decided to go with AZ.

Obviously that was a mistake, if they had gone with Sinovac in October most of the country could be vaccinated by now.

How much do you think it cost to hand out 15k baht to millions last year and another 2k to millions this year? Investing in cheap vaccines would have been a drop in the ocean in comparison, the blokes in uniform knew better though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

I registered for the AstraZeneca at the local hospital and they gave me a time and date in early June as dis a few of my expat friends over 60 years.

It was a very simple process took a couple of minutes as it did for the Thais.

Even gave me an appointment card.

Slightly quicker than the ninety day reporting which took four minutes from leaving to returning

That's nice.

Where?

In person huh?

Have a pink card?

People if you're going to make reports like that we need to hear more details.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand would be the production hub of the British-made AstraZeneca vaccine in Asean with Siam Bioscience, the only Thai firm authorized to produce AstraZeneca vaccine under technological transfer agreement

Why the only firm ....................at least build a second or third production plant.

56 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Sums up Thailand with bureaucratic BS! Registration/ pink cards / ID . functional developed countries allow anyone to just turn up with ID/  passport and get vaccinated ! Thailand the 'hub' of dysfunctional failure!

Yes this is not good.

Instead of a come and get it attitude they are putting up roadblocks. Thailand will never reach vaccination goals like this.

What are they thinking?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

You forgot one:

China Sinovac Shot Seen Highly Effective in Real World Study

Sinovac Biotech Ltd.’s vaccine is wiping out Covid-19 among health workers in Indonesia, an encouraging sign for the dozens of developing countries reliant on the controversial Chinese shot, which performed far worse than western vaccines in clinical trials.

Indonesia tracked 25,374 health workers in capital city Jakarta for 28 days after they received their second dose and found that the vaccine protected 100% of them from death and 96% from hospitalization as soon as seven days after, said Health Minister Budi Gunadi Sadikin in an interview on Tuesday. The workers were tracked until late February.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-11/china-s-sinovac-shot-found-highly-effective-in-real-world-study?srnd=premium-asia

Which result jibes well with other real life studies done in other parts of the world.

When things truly matter, more look towards developed western countries who are more transparent and accountable. A lot of people are rejecting the vaccines here as they want the western ones, not a cheap, low efficacy Chinese one. Mention Sinovac in my area and that's it, no one trusts it which ultimately goes back to bad governance.

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Got to get popular Thai (even international) celebrities involved in the persuasion campaign. If that fails, just pay people to do it. 

Haha pay people? ridiculous.

Just make it mandatory for travel (flying domestic and international) and when entering islands in Thailand. Also make it mandatory for visa extensions and upon entry to the country. People will be vaccinated in no time. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

A lot of Thai's my wife included believe the Thai root herbs Khrachai (Fingerroot) will cure COVID19

It's also been promoted by the government and being given to patients with COVID19 in Hospitals

Could be one reason many are not registering for the Vaccine?
So well done to the Health Ministry for helping to persuade Thai's they don't need a vaccine.

Edited by DirtyHarry55
  • Sad 1

I can see Thailand being left with millions of unused vaccines.......with a population given to superstitions and the like........... any bad news will prevent them from being jabbed.......expats might find it easy to get a vaccine very soon.

3 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I would go for the Moderna or the Sputnik v because of the coldness needed for the Pfizer. They may be a long time coming if we see them at all but a better choice than just garbing any old vaccine.

Your information about the Pfizer vaccine's recommended storage temperature is way out-of-date.

Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine can be kept at domestic freezer temperatures during transport

Australia's regulator says the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine can now be kept at normal freezer temperatures for up to two weeks during transport and at regular fridge temperatures for up to five days.

Previously, the vaccine needed to be kept at sub-zero temperatures of between -90C and -60C, making transportation logistically challenging.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2021-04-12/pfizer-temperature-changes-transport-fridge-freezer/100062594

• Like 2

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Australia's regulator says the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine can now be kept at normal freezer temperatures for up to two weeks during transport and at regular fridge temperatures for up to five days.

Far too complicated for here.....

11 minutes ago, alien365 said:

When things truly matter, more look towards developed western countries who are more transparent and accountable. A lot of people are rejecting the vaccines here as they want the western ones, not a cheap, low efficacy Chinese one. Mention Sinovac in my area and that's it, no one trusts it which ultimately goes back to bad governance.

I have to confess to a selfish hope that it's true that there's little demand for the Sinovac vaccine here. If it turns out to be the case, maybe they'll let expats get vaccinated  with it early on. I guess it's unseemly to benefit from the ignorance of others, but I guess I can live with it. A Sinovac vaccination will certainly improve my odds of doing so.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If the vaccination is free for everyone people will come rushing in . Problem nearly solved.

Tourists with the intention of coming to Thailand will be assured thing are ok..