Using a UK debit card to withdraw cash in Thailand.

17 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Go to Tesco and spend 500 baht on it, if it doesn't work, contact the bank. Tell them you are stuck in Thailand due to Covid19 and quarantine restrictions.

In speaking to the bank, you should first download a cheap app for overseas calls such as Yolla or similar ( loads on the market) where you are paying peanuts for international calls. I use it whenever I am calling overseas such as Qatar air or business or financial institution.

Skype is good for that. 

6 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Depends on the bank, my crypto. Com card has no fee. 

As far as fees go, it depends on the bank. My US bank charges no international fee and rebates the ATM fees at the end of the month. 

30 minutes ago, Susco said:

Not always true.

My renewed CC is in my home country, but I have the previous one here with me.

When I make a online purchase I enter the details from the new one, but at the end it asks me to insert the card into a Digipass, and press some codes.

The Digipass detects this is not the new card, and cancels the transaction

Then you need to change to the option to receive an OTP instead or verification by Touch ID on the app 

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

Why don't you use it to buy some products at the supermarket?

You have then used the card as per their instructions and you aren't getting withdrawal fee charges of 220 baht. neither. 

I did it yesterday at Tesco Lotus. Just 500 or 1000 baht will do the job.

Good idea.

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Some in fact most banks will not send a debit card to Thailand so you  will have to  get a friend  or relative to post it to you  via Post Office EMS registered service. Do not use a courier like DHL as if it arrives at all it will have been opened with a view to  extorting monies from you  for 'customs clearance '

Best to  use Wise using your  debit card  to transfer funds from  UK to Thailand 

That part (Receiving any bank cards or mail) is already taken care of.

I already use another debit card for transferring via Wise.

I never use the debit card tied to this account for anything other than accessing the in-branch ATM's for deposits or the occasional withdrawal. Even doing anything via the teller requires inserting the card into a machine.

That's why I want to keep the card. I don't want the hassle of returning to the UK and not being able to access the account.

The letter states that to renew the card, I just need to make a purchase in store: Contactless or chip and PIN. Or make a withdrawal from an ATM. Your idea of making a purchase in the supermarket is perfect. 

Thanks

28 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Good idea.

That part (Receiving any bank cards or mail) is already taken care of.

I already use another debit card for transferring via Wise.

I never use the debit card tied to this account for anything other than accessing the in-branch ATM's for deposits or the occasional withdrawal. Even doing anything via the teller requires inserting the card into a machine.

That's why I want to keep the card. I don't want the hassle of returning to the UK and not being able to access the account.

The letter states that to renew the card, I just need to make a purchase in store: Contactless or chip and PIN. Or make a withdrawal from an ATM. Your idea of making a purchase in the supermarket is perfect. 

Thanks

I had a similar problem and asked the UK Barclays if they could extend the expiry date on the debit card because I was stranded in Thailand . They said it was out of their hands and the card would not work after the end date . They would not send the new card to Thailand , only my UK address . So I got my son to give me a picture of the new card and I wrote down the new card  number ( account number and sort code stay the same ) , he also sent me the new pin number . This enabled me to transfer money via WISE to my Thai account  

On 5/14/2021 at 6:58 AM, phetphet said:

However it is due to expire soon, and I have been sent a letter in the UK from the bank telling me that I need to withdraw some cash, or make a store purchase in order to receive a new card on expiry.

This happened to me in a previous period so with latest debit card that I had never used just prior to expiry I tested it in a Thai ATM expecting high fees but with intent to get the card renewed. It made no difference. The bank (NatWest) never sent a new one and said even though I used it I didn't use it enough!

From now on I just let the cards expire and when I want a new one I phone up and they send me one again. Cheaper than using ATM or foreign service fees.

On 5/14/2021 at 7:06 AM, clivebaxter said:

Yes but the fee is about 200 baht and your UK bank probably charges as well, I stopped doing that years ago

I never even started, just pure daylight robbery.

I pay nationwide building society £15 a month to waiver all transaction costs on the uk side,i used to work abroad most of the year & spend 5 month in thailand,i have a bangkok bank & kasikorn bank account,i would put B30000 a month in the kasikorn account inside the bank from my nationwide account.....charge B30 & no charges from uk,they stopped me doing that as thy weren't making money,

4 minutes ago, crazyk said:

I pay nationwide building society £15 a month to waiver all transaction costs on the uk side,i used to work abroad most of the year & spend 5 month in thailand,i have a bangkok bank & kasikorn bank account,i would put B30000 a month in the kasikorn account inside the bank from my nationwide account.....charge B30 & no charges from uk,they stopped me doing that as thy weren't making money,

I thought Nationwide was no charge when withdrawing in Thailand. It used to be. 

6 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

Are you sure your UK bank will send out your new card to Thailand? I bank with Lloyds and they will not send me replacement cards via post and they also refuse to courier them. I use family connections to get them to me!

No. It will go to my registered address in the UK.

i went and withdrew THB1000 today from an ATM. Hopefully that will be en for them to renew the card.ough

On 5/14/2021 at 3:33 PM, Scouse123 said:

That wasn't the question. He has to use the debit card in a transaction once before expiry to get it renewed and a new one sent out.

once he/she gets new card he/she has to authorise it by phoning the issuing bank.......

• Confused 1

On 5/15/2021 at 6:20 PM, phetphet said:

i went and withdrew THB1000 today from an ATM. Hopefully that will be enough for them to renew the card.

Wouldn't hold out too much hope of that being the case if your UK bank is NatWest!

On 5/15/2021 at 8:40 AM, Digitalbanana said:

This happened to me in a previous period so with latest debit card that I had never used just prior to expiry I tested it in a Thai ATM expecting high fees but with intent to get the card renewed. It made no difference. The bank (NatWest) never sent a new one and said even though I used it I didn't use it enough!

We bank with RBS. They have just written to my wife saying that they will not send her new Debit Card to Thailand. My son lives in the UK so I have changed our address to his.

They will now post the card to him. The card is already activated so I will freeze the account and he can then post the card here. After we have received the card I will unfreeze the account and then change our address back to as previous. 

Why they have to send it activated I don't know.

I see a suggestion (by superal) of sending a picture of the  card etc ... yes that will work until you need to use your card reader.

Or just call your bank and tell them that you are 'temporarily' stranded overseas and that you don't want to incur fees for using the ATM.

They will then just update your record to send out a new debit card (to UK address) a month before expiry.

That's how I did it and it worked.