Thailand reports daily record of 9,635 new COVID-19 cases, including jail cluster

webfact

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1394283727207993345

There’s a report in The Telegraph that #Thailand is “to ban the entry of foreign nationals from May 19 for the next month”. This information is NOT correct. The only ban in place are for foreigners coming from India, Pakistan, Nepal & Bangladesh due to Indian variant of #COVID19.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

Please encourage all your brethren to check their local hospital for bed occupancy and report back.

That is the only empirical evidence we have since very few people on this forum believe the government data.

The issue with counting available beds is that the number of tests is being managed in many locations based on bed availability.  They quit testing in some areas when the beds are running short.

And now that they've built tens of thousands of new beds, they're testing more people.  Which may be the reason that positive tests are up.  Way up.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

Just looking at figures coming in for worldometre. Thailand will probably be in the top 10 for new infections in the world. Have to wait till tomorrow but top 10 for new infections in the world is not good. I guess all the good face saving work (the more cynical may say deception) is now totally down the where one goes to have a number 2.

Just now, Scrotebike said:

I have read some of these comments

long winded waffle about testing

who cares now

it is too late 

best Thailand focuses on vaccines now and does not waste its resources on other paths

Complete rubbish. Testing will always be part of this until it is eradicated. It's not too late just mismanaged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Just looking at figures coming in for worldometre. Thailand will probably be in the top 10 for new infections in the world. Have to wait till tomorrow but top 10 for new infections in the world is not good. I guess all the good face saving work (the more cynical may say deception) is now totally down the where one goes to have a number 2.

Like I said who cares about the numbers now

the path is clear

vaccinate

32 minutes ago, impulse said:

The issue with counting available beds is that the number of tests is being managed in many locations based on bed availability.  They quit testing in some areas when the beds are running short.

And now that they've built tens of thousands of new beds, they're testing more people.  Which may be the reason that positive tests are up.  Way up.

Impulse: you make a good point.  I was thinking only in terms of Covid cases who were sick enough to require hospitalization.

2 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Actually, walking outside is fairly safe. The problem is staying indoors and at home. People have to work to eat.. The infections happen at work, public transport and then at home when masks come off.

Hiding at home will only delay the infections.

Regarding prisons.. The outside community introduced the virus into the prison in the first place

This virus is airborne. Inside more risk but outside is also risky especially when some a...................., you know the rest, pulls down their mask to sneeze.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Screenshot_8.jpg.7678725d262bdad50454d39472d13de4.jpg

From AFP:

Thailand virus cases soar with prison clusters

Thailand reported a new daily high of nearly 10,000 coronavirus cases on Monday, more than two-thirds of them in prisons, as the kingdom battles its third wave of the pandemic.

The kingdom's Covid-19 task force reported 9,635 new cases, 6,853 of which were among prisoners.

Nearly half of 24,000 inmates tested at eight prisons, mainly in Bangkok and its suburbs, including several where prominent democracy activists have been detained, were found to have the virus.

Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin said he may have to consider special probation for inmates if the prison clusters are not brought under control.

(more)

https://www.thejakartapost.com/seasia/2021/05/17/thailand-virus-cases-soar-with-prison-clusters-.html

I'm pretty sure I've seen that picture before & that was at least a couple of years ago, don't look right to me, when I used my old win 10 laptop I could click on a pic for full info, date, time, location it was taken, sometimes even who took it, I can't do that with my tablet ????

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Bottom right corner, 4th one up from the guy in the red shirt, his body don't match his legs, wierd or what ? 

Thanks everyone, I enlarged the picture and yes it could well be a whole back tattoo, initially it looked very strange hence my comment, cheers all ????

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Complete rubbish. Testing will always be part of this until it is eradicated. It's not too late just mismanaged.

dinsdale - what happened? I thought you and I agreed that we need to monitor the trends in Covid in-patients!  Don't go over to the dark side on this.

Just now, TaoNow said:

dinsdale - what happened? I thought you and I agreed that we need to monitor the trends in Covid in-patients!  Don't go over to the dark side on this.

Don't actually think I've agreed with anything you've posted.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Oh dear. Well how about this then. If there was more testing happining then there would be more data. You want more data then you do more tests. Sorry I can't make this any simpler.

More data would be better, of course. But, you seem stuck on the idea that unless data is given to you in exactly the quantity that you want, then it is useless.

based on the data available now, I know that tomorrow’s numbers are not going to be 100,000 new cases, nor 500. That’s based on the data we have now, and this is an example that a small dataset has some value.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Did you miss where i said 2 - 4 weeks. No they do not need to last several months, thats a pure fallacy. The UK lockdown circuit breakers can last from anything from two weeks to 2 months. 

"The hope is they are less damaging - to the economy and people's mental health - than a longer lockdown, because people can plan ahead more easily."

"A temporary lockdown in New Zealand, which successfully allowed contact tracers to get back on top of the outbreak there, can be seen as a circuit-breaker even though it was not called that." Australia also did a successfull 7 day lockdown.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54206582

You're unironically using a 2 week lockdown in Northern Ireland that didn't in fact work (it was followed soon after by a much longer lockdown) as an example of how such a lockdown might work in Thailand?

13 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

Don't actually think I've agreed with anything you've posted.

4 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

You're unironically using a 2 week lockdown in Northern Ireland that didn't in fact work (it was followed soon after by a much longer lockdown) as an example of how such a lockdown might work in Thailand?

No I'm not read the full article again and put that in context with the subject matter. If you want to cherry pick a 2 week lockdown with what a circuit breaker is and the other examples it gave then you're not actually looking at any other options aside from your own.

• Like 1

Sadly it will probably get worse much worse before it gets better I sincerely hope I’m wrong and would be delighted to be wrong for god’s sake please practice safe protocols take care of each other blessings and good health to all

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Australia. Very harsh lockdowns. Now doing OK. Today +3 cases in a population of >26,000,000. Lockdowns and real mass testing, excellent contact tracing and isolation/quarantine is why Australia is where it is today. Vaccination program in OZ is not so good.

It's an island....