Thailand finds first local cases of South African COVID-19 variant, scientists say

3 hours ago, cclub75 said:

Thailand is not an island.

It could be, if only they changed the name by simply adding a letter:

Tha island

Such a small change would do a lot to help keeping the virus at bay...just sayin'

Edited by Brunolem
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Guess what ? My Barber shop just opened and I can now get a haircut which my hair  is down to my shoulders with all these lockdowns. The only problem now is he is wearing 3 masks and 1 is almost covering his eyes.

My wife can cut your hair for you but you will need to behave or she will CLIP your ear!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

But the discovery of a domestic transmission of the variant could complicate the country’s efforts to tackle its worst COVID-19 outbreak so far

Can it be any more complicated than it already is?

4 hours ago, cclub75 said:

But we were told that the quarantine system for all the dirty foreigners was ironclad ?

Well... not. The reality is that the virus finds always its way.

So i guess now we have all of them (the famous "variants")... so perhaps we can cool down and learn how to live with all thoses terribles virus...

The Zero Covid ideology is hurting us.

That's because Thailand still welcomes tourists even though it hasn't had herd immunity yet. Will Thailand become another India?

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thailand has detected the first local cases of the coronavirus variant discovered in South Africa, a group of scientists said on Saturday, saying the finding should prompt vaccination efforts to be ramped up.

More than the 5 provinces mentioned so far then?

9 minutes ago, shackleton said:

I think its obvious to all mass vaccination is required on the Population including  foreigners here in Thailand 

If the Corivirus numbers are to be reduced forget Tourism until this is resolved first 

All governments are requesting their populations to vaccinate. Please comply with their wishes and just get your jabs. The rollout is late in Thailand all the more reason to vaccinate asap even if it "sinovac", and not your favorite boutique potion.  Time to get shots into arms and re-open the world.

Why high vaccination rtes are necessary 

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/02/18/967462483/how-herd-immunity-works-and-what-stands-in-its-way

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

Time to open Phuket!! Push push push the sandbox!!

Common sense will not prevail even as 43% of those vaccinated in the cluster, even with the good stuff - Moderna and Pfizer still contract the virus and require quarantine;

According to CNA's study of data published on MOH’s website, 43 out of the 100 cases linked to the cluster so far have received one or two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine.

A comparison between those who have been vaccinated and those who have not, revealed that there were 12 more symptomatic cases in the unvaccinated pool. Common symptoms include fever, cough and runny nose.

Twenty-four patients linked to the cluster preliminarily tested positive for the B1617 variant, which was first detected in India. Half of them were not vaccinated.

Since the cluster emerged in early-May, authorities have implemented a slew of measures, including special testing operations and the closure of airport passenger terminals to the public.

Full article here; https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-changi-airport-cluster-timeline-14855936

damn sandbox

186564166_5521993387842981_4057846327709357651_n.jpg

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is not a lockdown, but a closure, just like all the parks are still closed here in Bangkok.  You can still go outside, walk, or run, enjoy the sun, go sit in a mall, eat dinner in a restaurant, and even drive from here to there and travel domestically to certain areas without having to Quarantine.  So not a lockdown in the true use of the word.

It's certainly not a Wuhan style lockdown - not able to leave one's house for 6 weeks and rely on the government to send food and necessities. I don't think we need to go to that extreme, but they need full focus on markets, factories and worker camps. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, shackleton said:

If the Corivirus numbers are to be reduced forget Tourism until this is resolved first 

Tourism, won't arrive even if they  remove all the restrictions, I wondering in which planet you and Thai authorities are living. Don't you see the world scenario? A year and a half of closures has dramatically increased the number of poor people, and those who are unemployed surely don't think about going on vacation. Not to mention the United States , where there is a rampant increase in poverty and homelessness, 70% of Americans have less than 1000USD in their bank account, wonders of neoliberalism . According to you are those people planning a vacation? I'm sorry to have to say it, but for at least 3 years Thailand won't see any tourism, restrictions or not, because people won't have the money to travel, do you understand it or not?

Edited by fleccer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Zero Covid ideology hurting us?  Ummm....how many of died from covid so far?  Well over 10MM.  So perhaps it's not such a bad idea. 

P.S. Thai officials have always said the borders were a problem.  Perhaps you missed those news reports.

You might be mistaken. Roughly 30 fingers on each Hand???

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdvegas1?"

But pretty close. About 3,5 Mil as of now.

14 minutes ago, EricTh said:

That's because Thailand still welcomes tourists even though it hasn't had herd immunity yet. Will Thailand become another India?

No, it won't become another India. Much of their population has next to no access to medical facilities; hence their official numbers are vastly underestimating the number of infections and deaths. Hundreds or thousands of bedies have been buried on the banks of the Ganges - until the next storm floats them down the river. 

Hardly any tourists are coming to Thailand. They are not the threat. We are either spreading the virus here and its getting topped up by people crossing the local borders - hardly any testing and treatment is happening in Myanmar, and the authorities are very concered about that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Mandatory 14 day quarantine is not exactly welcoming.

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The third variant is now here and in all places found in Narithiwat, which is kind of strange in itself, but then maybe it came in through Malaysia.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2021/05/17/malaysia-detects-seven-more-cases-of-covid-19-variants-first-found-in-south/1974849 

Yes it was found amongst undocumented workers, but where did they come in through the border at exactly, and did they arrive by boat or walk in.  I hope they are checking backwards to see which area of Malaysia it came in through.  Only time I guess before it makes it around to the capital.

No matter what they try to do they can't seal of the country 100 % there are Always people Sneaking i the country being that on their own accord or with help from Crooked border Staff/ agents/People smugglers 

as for the mutations they will have to keep Updating the Vaccine otherwise after a Few mutations the vaccine won't do any good no matter what they say now.

39 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Mandatory 14 day quarantine is not exactly welcoming.

Oh sure it is, don't be so dramatic....they welcome your money first, last and always.  When your ATM is dry its adios amigo come back again next time you can donate to us.....lol

Guest Harm Hendrik Reitsma
3 hours ago, Sametboy2019 said:

It's more probabal that variants aren't coming in but are mutating from previous strains to make themselves more affective in spreading.

A viruses os is to spread not to kill. 

Variants seem to be more harmless as the first strain was, which they don't tell us. Nut in EU they found out allready.

40 minutes ago, digger70 said:

as for the mutations they will have to keep Updating the Vaccine otherwise after a Few mutations the vaccine won't do any good no matter what they say now.

So far that hasn't been the case. All the vaccines that have been tested against these variants are still very effective at preventing hospitalization and death. 

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hayduke said:

Why is it that almost every country on earth is identified as having its own pandemic variant….but the innovative and enterprising Chinese aren’t given any recognition for coming up with the whole idea in the first place?

I understand that their version is that the US military planted it on them.  It is a disease from foreign dangerous government.

The version of events is lapped up quite nicely by their population.

Just as at least half of every other nation's do the same.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cclub75 said:

But we were told that the quarantine system for all the dirty foreigners was ironclad ?

Well... not. The reality is that the virus finds always its way.

So i guess now we have all of them (the famous "variants")... so perhaps we can cool down and learn how to live with all thoses terribles virus...

The Zero Covid ideology is hurting us.

If you haven’t applied for a COE ( im on my second quarantine) you do realize that Thais returning to Thailand go by different rules. Covid tests PRIOR to boarding flights would weed out a few infected.  

Edited by Bkktodd
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

No, it won't become another India. Much of their population has next to no access to medical facilities; hence their official numbers are vastly underestimating the number of infections and deaths. Hundreds or thousands of bedies have been buried on the banks of the Ganges - until the next storm floats them down the river. 

Hardly any tourists are coming to Thailand. They are not the threat. We are either spreading the virus here and its getting topped up by people crossing the local borders - hardly any testing and treatment is happening in Myanmar, and the authorities are very concered about that. 

Thank you.  Im tired of armchair chang induced comments blaming dirty farangs bringing Covid.  Its already here from migrant (illegal as well ) workers and seeded by an unnecessary Songkran 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fleccer said:

Tourism, won't arrive even if they  remove all the restrictions, I wondering in which planet you and Thai authorities are living. Don't you see the world scenario? A year and a half of closures has dramatically increased the number of poor people, and those who are unemployed surely don't think about going on vacation. Not to mention the United States , where there is a rampant increase in poverty and homelessness, 70% of Americans have less than 1000USD in their bank account, wonders of neoliberalism . According to you are those people planning a vacation? I'm sorry to have to say it, but for at least 3 years Thailand won't see any tourism, restrictions or not, because people won't have the money to travel, do you understand it or not?

erm . . . 

I rather think that Thailand is looking to attract tourists of all nations, not just from North America..

You've entirely missed the point here; Thailand has no interest whatsoever in poor people. Thailand is working on a Cunning Plan - to attract very wealthy tourists. They have the idea that if they can snag 40 tourists who are millionaires, then it's the same as getting 40 million poor ones.

Unfortunately they have deliberately ignored the lifestyle and culture of the 'irritating and dirty farang' and been disinclined to study them and their ways, as being below their dignity.

Now they are paying the price - Thailand's failure to understand that very few farang tourists want to go there anymore -- and their desperate attempts to come up with schemes to lure visitors -- are making the world laugh.

Well, that is, if any major nation is actually aware of this arrogant little nation and its absurd governmental posturing. All the Big Boy nations have got too many worries of their own.

Edited by robsamui
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It is not a lockdown, but a closure, just like all the parks are still closed here in Bangkok.  You can still go outside, walk, or run, enjoy the sun, go sit in a mall, eat dinner in a restaurant, and even drive from here to there and travel domestically to certain areas without having to Quarantine.  So not a lockdown in the true use of the word.

The Thai government are reluctant to have a lockdown for one reason only and that is the effect it would have on an already wilting economy .  It would cause many of the top dogs to lose vast amounts of money if not their high flying status and those in control will almost certainly have had a double jab .  

15 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Thailand is working on a Cunning Plan - to attract very wealthy tourists. They have the idea that if they can snag 40 tourists who are millionaires, then it's the same as getting 40 million poor ones.

Yes, I know, but Thailand is not Dubai or Singapore. Thailand is structured for mass tourism as it always has been. And the queues of those queuing for food are a consequence of the lack of tourists. Elite tourism alone won't be enough. Those who have the money will increasingly be a small minority and I don't see why they should choose Thailand as a tourist resort among a large of opportunities world

• Like 1