Ride-hailing taxi apps to be made legal in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Charges for stationary vehicles range from 3 baht to 10 baht per minute for small and large vehicles respectively.

Does this mean the vehicles will need a taxi-type meter fitting? Or is there an App that will allow for traffic jams, as per the cost above?

I've never used one of these services so I don't know.

• Like 2

Fares for small and medium vehicles are capped at 50 baht for the first two kilometres and no more than 12 baht per kilometre thereafter.

For large vehicles, fares are capped at 200 baht for the  first two kilometres and no more than 50 baht per kilometer for thereafter.

I assume this applies to Bangkok and surrounding areas and not in the provinces, where "Meter Taxis" never use their meters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I assume this applies to Bangkok and surrounding areas and not in the provinces, where "Meter Taxis" never use their meters.

Although a meter taxi operating under the 'Bolt' app, operates with a pre-set price. 

Edited by jacko45k

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

No special insurance required?

I don't expect regular Thai Compulsory insurance (CTPL) would cover passengers and even 1st class may not be legitimate if the vehicle is being used as a taxi.

Oh well, never mind...

that'l come in the fine print no one reads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Toyota Fortuner or Honda Accord.

I'd stay out of Fortuners .. they've got a good strike rate against power poles .. unfortunately .. 

Still if any HiSo's fancy doing a bit of cabbing it may be an opportunity to experience a Merc' barrel rolling down the freeway .. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

There's no such thing as a metered taxi in Hua Hin. But four-wheeled tuk tuks and Grab work perfectly fine, plus private cars advertising on Line, etc. 

5 minutes ago, WineOh said:

What about Uber? 

I guess they can hi

25 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

No, everything runs in the Grab app, you order the ride online, they give you a fare estimate before you accept, sometimes there are discounts, or the fare is actually lower on arrival, and then you can even pay and tip the driver thru the app. It also has a translate feature (automatic) and you can send a tracking message to friends expecting you, plus a panic button, and many other great features, long live the internets!

EDit: Fares do fluctuate according to demand, but never feel like a rip-off, the complaints system is independent and robust. The only glitch is sometimes the system gets your location wrong, so pay attention to the map when youre ordering the ride, and make sure it has your pick-up right.

Grab definitely more expensive now than 28 months ago. My previously 160 Baht 8km journey now is never less than 180, can be 200. Still cheaper than a tuk-tuk. And a lot more comfortable. 

• Like 2

inDriver works OK down here in Phuket with minimum fare 150thb even if less than 1Km....

Anyone using it successfully in Bangkok ?

Ps Grab for a  5minute journey used to be 400thb in Phuket, hence used it about twice so far !

Edited by BangkokBoyJohnny

Would be interested to see how it works in Phuket and Koh Samui where taxi meters are rarely used. I went to Samui first many years ago where the taxi driver denied it had a meter in spite of the sign on the roof. I pressed the cover over the radio slot, which opened to reveal a sparkling meter displaying a fare a third of what he was trying to charge me. We came to a satisfactory arrangement for both of us!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

There's no such thing as a metered taxi in Hua Hin. But four-wheeled tuk tuks and Grab work perfectly fine, plus private cars advertising on Line, etc. 

Yeah, there are Grab cars in Pattaya too...that don't use the posted app fares.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, WineOh said:

What about Uber? 

It was sold to Grab in South East Asia some years back. Uber have shares in Grab still I think. It took Grab years to match the Uber standard and they are almost there now. Customer service is still <deleted>ty though. 

29 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Yeah, there are Grab cars in Pattaya too...that don't use the posted app fares.

That's a shame but I don't understand it. The app gives you the expected fare, the app controls the fare. You can see it in your phone. Thinking about it, maybe you're paying cash and giving what the driver demands without checking the final fare! Even then my app shows the final fare after the journey's complete. I registered a debit card on the app and only part with 20 or 40 baht tip each time when getting out at the destination. Interesting. 

44 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Would be interested to see how it works in Phuket and Koh Samui where taxi meters are rarely used. I went to Samui first many years ago where the taxi driver denied it had a meter in spite of the sign on the roof. I pressed the cover over the radio slot, which opened to reveal a sparkling meter displaying a fare a third of what he was trying to charge me. We came to a satisfactory arrangement for both of us!

You mean you still overpaid a bit? Or he drove away with all teeth intact? ????

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

That's a shame but I don't understand it. The app gives you the expected fare, the app controls the fare. You can see it in your phone. Thinking about it, maybe you're paying cash and giving what the driver demands without checking the final fare! Even then my app shows the final fare after the journey's complete. I registered a debit card on the app and only part with 20 or 40 baht tip each time when getting out at the destination. Interesting. 

Yes I pay cash. The times I've used the app or approached "Grab" branded parked cars, the drivers all want to negotiate a fare. I guess if one registers a form of electronic payment, if they accept the ride they would take the app based fare.

15 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Yes I pay cash. The times I've used the app or approached "Grab" branded parked cars, the drivers all want to negotiate a fare. I guess if one registers a form of electronic payment, if they accept the ride they would take the app based fare.

Must be ingrained in the local drivers maybe! Never had that once in BKK or HH. I have taken rides 2 or 3 times on COD basis when my card got deregistered somehow but still never had this. Good luck! 

37 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Use Bolt in Pattaya, cheaper and better in my experiences.  Never have I paid more than the pre-established fare unless 1) I decide to give extra for a tip or 2) the established route is impassable (for example, road construction) and the driver has to take a longer route, but even then Bolt recalculates the fare and that is what I pay.

Edited by TimBKK
Grammar
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Must be ingrained in the local drivers maybe! Never had that once in BKK or HH. I have taken rides 2 or 3 times on COD basis when my card got deregistered somehow but still never had this. Good luck! 

We are using “Bolt”, half the price compared to Grab