Thailand adjusts vaccine plan to tame deadliest outbreak

snoop1130

6 hours ago, findlay13 said:

Yep! It isn't just the Thai though. Australia ,UK,USA etc. NONE of them have managed this.They've all made a balls up of it.

How have the UK bungled it? They're now vaccinating the over 30s. Well ahead of the EU, the US and most other countries. Where the UK have failed, is in letting every Tom, Dick and Harry into the country, especially from the Indian sub-continent.

• Thanks 1

Hi Everyone, I asked this on another forum but with no reply...

Like many I am so confused by the route to vaccine. I am a retiree in Thailand and 60 years old, living in Bangkok. My health records are at BNH Hospital so what do I do?

Many thanks for any useful info.

30 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I did not mean they made it to the end of covid line, I mean .making it  to where major vaccinated countries were vaccinated to the degree where some of their vaccine would become available to other countries, Increasing the supply , an decreasing price. All they needed was for their luck to hold on for a couple of more months than it did. 

In a way it did, do you think they would had been able to negotiate the same price and numbers 6 months ago where the producing countries were desperate for every dose they had?  

Thailand's economy is highly dependent on international tourism.  Thailand's leaders state that no international tourists allowed until 70% of the population is vaccinated.  What 'luck are they holding on' for?   Thailand should have been making its own luck by securing as many vaccines as it could as early as it could.  

The country needed to be vaccinated for international tourism to start up again--whether that was done early or, as it turns out, very late and still not really started.   It's almost June and even at this late date the vaccines are few, more uncertain, and vaccination is only at around 3% of the population. 

Meanwhile, in trying to save a buck or win favor, Thailand has spent a fortune not on vaccines but in trying to financially prop up the devastated tourism industry, with little success.  And, as I said, still no large numbers of vaccines in sight at this late date.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jesimps said:

How have the UK bungled it? They're now vaccinating the over 30s. Well ahead of the EU, the US and most other countries. Where the UK have failed, is in letting every Tom, Dick and Harry into the country, especially from the Indian sub-continent.

Thank you - you beat me to it.

The UK made a mess before vaccines became available - our "lockdown, "tier system" and border strategies were pitiful and confusing and on a par with Thailand for inconsistency.

However, since vaccination started, the UK has been magnificent, offering vaccines to high-risk people, then successively younger groups.

As you said, In England, people aged 30 and over can book online or through the national booking service, on 119 and a friend of mine who is a marshal at a local vax centre tells me that in a week or so it should be available for 25 year olds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And, I see absolutely no sign thus far that anyone in the Thai government is trying to prioritize my access to a CV vaccine.

So sorry for your plight but nobody in Thai Government gives a toss about your situation . If they don't care about the lives of their own good people why do you think they would for one minute care about an inferior foreigner .  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Yes - 100% Yes!  I remeber seeing thousands of immigrants/refugees at Calais, France in a huge camp waiting for an opportunity to get into "The Nanny State" and the Mayor of Calais even had the balls to ask the British Government to pay for it!!!

And that was all pre- Covid!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sambum said:

our Chinese friends will have a vaccine by then"

Thailand must be on the agenda of every Chinese "to do " list ... such an important country ! Vital Ally... but wait... sure we already own this one don't we ?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, sirineou said:

This is not about the efficacy of individual vaccines, but the changing situation brought about by variants that are more transmissible, and a change in strategy   for the deployment of available recourses. 

I am not making any value judgment concerning the recourses and the response.  , they are what they are, and .Both are arguable.

Simply saying that since conditions have changed, so should the response , what is so unusual about that?  

..nothing at all..at least you're on the ball.

14 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Exactly, so apart from wanting to have a go at refugees why bring it up?

Merely to emphasise that part of the Covid problem in the UK was caused by allowing too many people ( illegal immigrants, refugees whatever you care to call them) unchecked into the country. I have no reason to believe that the hordes of people streaming into the UK has ceased because of Covid!

Or as jesimps puts it "letting every Tom, Dick and Harry into the country, especially from the Indian sub-continent."

Edited by sambum

8 minutes ago, sambum said:

Merely to emphasise that part of the Covid problem in the UK was caused by allowing too many people ( illegal immigrants, refugees whatever you care to call them) unchecked into the country. I have no reason to believe that the hordes of people streaming into the UK has ceased because of Covid!

Or as jesimps puts it "letting every Tom, Dick and Harry into the country, especially from the Indian sub-continent."

Oh yes, of course, bigotry would have nothing to do with it at all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

If they really wanted to save lives, they would adjust their overall manpower and shift staff to address the slaughter on Thai roads which make's the 850 total Covid deaths since 2019 pale in comparison.  Long Covid is scary?  How about the thousands who are permanently injured and disabled annually on Thai roads not to mention the tens of thousand who are outright killed.
Hate to say it but the priorities here are truly mixed.  I can discern what is truly deadly scary against what has a high probability of not causing more than an inconvenient sickness for most.  "Covid will get you for sure."  Probably not.  I'm much more afraid of the roads.  I wish there was an mRNA vaccine for Thai drivers that could inoculate them from their driving stupidity.  If it was only 50% effective I'd rejoice.  But it would have to be over 95% effective to drop the road death to something comparable with Covid deaths.

Exactly Sir! Why all the fear over Covid? It’s mystifying...

32 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Oh yes, of course, bigotry would have nothing to do with it at all.

I am not going to get into an argument about racism on a thread that is about Covid, but I am entitled to my opinion as to the number of refugees/immigrants allowed into my home country, and the fact that some of them may have been carrying/infected with Covid. 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

It is becoming increasingly apparent, that the deadliest part of all this, is having total icompetents in charge, during an pandemic, without experience and a cohesive and consistent plan.

Unqualified dinosaurs are simply not a good fit for running a nation, during an emergency. 

Indeed.  Happily for the US, they got rid of theirs.  UK still being run by numbnuts.

PH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, biggles45 said:

Obviously no Plan B, wonder why that was! 

I just read in BangkokPost that the local company that manufacture AZ is owned by the king..... No wonder ....

The princess stepped in today to allow the import of Sinopharm. All other vaccines must be paid except for AZ and Sinovac.

23 minutes ago, newnative said:

Thailand's economy is highly dependent on international tourism.  Thailand's leaders state that no international tourists allowed until 70% of the population is vaccinated.  What 'luck are they holding on' for?   Thailand should have been making its own luck by securing as many vaccines as it could as early as it could.  

The country needed to be vaccinated for international tourism to start up again--whether that was done early or, as it turns out, very late and still not really started.   It's almost June and even at this late date the vaccines are few, more uncertain, and vaccination is only at around 3% of the population. 

Meanwhile, in trying to save a buck or win favor, Thailand has spent a fortune not on vaccines but in trying to financially prop up the devastated tourism industry, with little success.  And, as I said, still no large numbers of vaccines in sight at this late date.  

Or large numbers of tourists for the foreseeable future!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sambum said:

I am not going to get into an argument about racism on a thread that is about Covid, but I am entitled to my opinion as to the number of refugees/immigrants allowed into my home country, and the fact that some of them may have been carrying/infected with Covid. 

And the unchecked access to the UK by Americans and other countries doesn’t bother you of course.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand is modifying its coronavirus immunisation strategy to target worst-hit areas and sectors where clusters are most likely to emerge, officials said on Wednesday

???? ???? ???? ???? ????

12 hours ago, findlay13 said:

Yep! It isn't just the Thai though. Australia ,UK,USA etc. NONE of them have managed this.They've all made a balls up of it.

And back in the real world ; The UK's vaccine programme has been first class , as has that of the US once they elected a competent leader.

Thailand's effort thus far has been truly abysmal , sheer nonsense to try and defend such a shambolic effort.

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Thailand is having problems the same as every other country. 

She has still done much better than m

ost counties, including the UK, where many more people died. In developing countries, Thailand is probably the best. 

Thailand is unique in that it has retired expats on Internet forums, who have too much time to complain about everything to justify their to feel colonial superiority. 

One talky wonders why they don't just jump on a plane and put us out their misery. 

Ah bless 555

On 5/26/2021 at 8:10 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well.... in terms of their supposed priorities....

1. I'm over 60 in age (CV risk group).

2. I live in priority area BKK.

3. I live in a district of BKK with major cluster outbreaks...

And, I see absolutely no sign thus far that anyone in the Thai government is trying to prioritize my access to a CV vaccine.

Me too

Today, wife told me SSO app was taking foreigners for registration. I told her I don't care. Think I'm registered with five hospitals by now. Few hours later she told me it was broken.

It's all just subterfuge.

Edited by kynikoi

A long and totally off-topic bickering exchange between several members having nothing to do with the thread's topic of Thailand's COVID vaccines policy has been removed.

That discussion is ended here and now. Attempt to continue it, and you'll earn a generous free posting holiday.

Separate from that, a post with COVID charts data also has been removed as the charts appear not to be from the source listed in the post.