Thailand adjusts vaccine plan to tame deadliest outbreak

snoop1130

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

It is a rapidly changing situation, and so is the response. what is so unusual about that ?

Same as every other country. 

Not every country.... some planned well ahead and improved their response and efficiency. There have been many many varying responses. 

Edited by jacko45k

8 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I think UK and USA have done pretty well on vaccine roll out. It was everything before that which they bungled. Resulting in several hundred thousands of deaths unfortunately.

Agreed. 

And when the West stops hoarding vaccines, then maybe the rest of the World will have a chance to catch up.

PH

From photographs of Sinovac arri als it would appear these gifted to Thailand by China if so big thank you. However looks like there is a shortage of vaccines and everything possible should be done to expedite AZ vaccines which essential for mass vaccination programme entire population not just tourist areas

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not every country.... some planned well ahead and improved their response and efficiency. There have been many many varying responses. 

I understand your frustration  with the late response to the situation by the Thai government, They thought they were going to delay  having to buy vaccines  early when they were expensive and in low supply, by closing the country, And procure vaccines later when most of the major vaccine producing  countries  were vaccinated and they could get it cheap. And they almost made it, but they did not count on variants. 

To a varying degree every country changed it's response to reflect conditions as they change. No to do so would be irresponsible and against basic management techniques. This situation is unprecedented,  and different, even from city to city ,It changes in unpredictable ways.

There is no playbook. 

One of the basic tenants of system (any system) management is monitoring and adjustment.

I am not making any excuses for them, but IMO , making nessacery , or at least what is perceived to be nessacery at the time , changes, is a good thing .

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

If they really wanted to save lives, they would adjust their overall manpower and shift staff to address the slaughter on Thai roads which make's the 850 total Covid deaths since 2019 pale in comparison.  Long Covid is scary?  How about the thousands who are permanently injured and disabled annually on Thai roads not to mention the tens of thousand who are outright killed.
Hate to say it but the priorities here are truly mixed.  I can discern what is truly deadly scary against what has a high probability of not causing more than an inconvenient sickness for most.  "Covid will get you for sure."  Probably not.  I'm much more afraid of the roads.  I wish there was an mRNA vaccine for Thai drivers that could inoculate them from their driving stupidity.  If it was only 50% effective I'd rejoice.  But it would have to be over 95% effective to drop the road death to something comparable with Covid deaths.

So much wrong with this. First off, do you believe that traffic accidents are contagious and have an R(0) factor greater than 1?

Also, has there been a nationwide lockdown imposed on drivers to keep them off the roads? When that happens, get back to us on how effective it was at reducing road deaths.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand has reserved 61 million locally-made AstraZeneca vaccines for its main drive.

So is that one each for everyone or one for some, two for others and none for the rest ???

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I understand your frustration  with the late response to the situation by the Thai government, They thought they were going to delay  having to buy vaccines  early when they were expensive and in low supply, by closing the country, And procure vaccines later when most of the major vaccine producing  countries  were vaccinated and they could get it cheap. And they almost made it, but they did not count on variants. 

To a varying degree every country changed it's response to reflect conditions as they change. No to do so would be irresponsible and against basic management techniques. This situation is unprecedented,  and different, even from city to city ,It changes in unpredictable ways.

There is no playbook. 

One of the basic tenants of system (any system) management is monitoring and adjustment.

I am not making any excuses for them, but IMO , making nessacery , or at least what is perceived to be nessacery at the time , changes, is a good thing .

...it wasn't about the variants...it was about the few cases of clotting and extreme side-effects that prompted FDA and the GPO here to go back to the manufactures to investigate further before the all-clear was given. The Sars-CoVi-2 virus responds to all vaccines that have been produced. All the variants are knocked off by the vaccine.

Thailand is modifying its coronavirus immunisation strategy to target worst-hit areas and sectors where clusters are most likely to emerge, officials said on Wednesday, as it deals with its most severe outbreak yet and a low vaccination rate.

Does this screw-up Pipats sand-pit scheme down south?

7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Let me translate for you....

They do not have enough vaccine, so the "plan" must be adjusted.

...translate what?....they have plenty of Sinovac to begin..it doesn't matter if you mix vaccines as they all translate very well on their spike proteins.

The health ministry said two doses of Sinovac vaccine had reduced the risk of infection by 83.3%, according to its study on the holiday island of Phuket, where 22% of the population has received both required doses.

What ?? So they have vaccinated 22% of Phuket , which I doubt and they are saying two doses reduced infection by 83.3%  ?

So how did they figure this out ? Are they saying 83% of the vaccinated 22% population are still Covid free but the other 17% still caught it !

I thought the rate of protection was around 63% so how is the Thai version at 83% protection ????

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tandor said:

...it wasn't about the variants...it was about the few cases of clotting and extreme side-effects that prompted FDA and the GPO here to go back to the manufactures to investigate further before the all-clear was given. The Sars-CoVi-2 virus responds to all vaccines that have been produced. All the variants are knocked off by the vaccine.

This is not about the efficacy of individual vaccines, but the changing situation brought about by variants that are more transmissible, and a change in strategy   for the deployment of available recourses. 

I am not making any value judgment concerning the recourses and the response.  , they are what they are, and .Both are arguable.

Simply saying that since conditions have changed, so should the response , what is so unusual about that?  

13 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

For some reason, tracking the various announcements of vaccination plans, changes of vaccination plans, announcements of plans to acquire vaccines, plans to vaccinate foreigners, plans for private hospitals to buy vaccines, it just seems so pointless, like trying to grab a bucket of steam.

True! Thailand you have the vaccines, put them in peoples (everybody's) arms NOW! What is so magical about June 7th!? Why wait? Your tents are up outside Tesco on Rama 4 and elsewhere giddy up guys!

14 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

For some reason, tracking the various announcements of vaccination plans, changes of vaccination plans, announcements of plans to acquire vaccines, plans to vaccinate foreigners, plans for private hospitals to buy vaccines, it just seems so pointless, like trying to grab a bucket of steam.

And then when time comes the consistent U-Turn comes into play ,just becomes a never ending story