American motorcyclist killed in head on collision in Phrae

webfact

21 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Bizarre...utterly bizarre.

I saw the video and could care less of what you think. Fact is I'm still alive commenting from the safety of my internet keyboard instead of driving like a maniac on a Thai road. 

4 minutes ago, Pravda said:

I saw the video and could care less of what you think. Fact is I'm still alive commenting from the safety of my internet keyboard instead of driving like a maniac on a Thai road. 

Fine...Have a nice keyboard punch..????

Oh..erm..I saw the video too...so I shall amend my previous comment to "There are some utterly bizarre posts on this thread."

Edited by Odysseus123

On 5/27/2021 at 3:45 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

From the video it appears that the motorcyclist wasn't exactly dawdling along and made no visible attempt to brake before the collision although he did seem to make a very last moment attempt to move to the left.  That may have been difficult for someone (who may possibly not have been properly trained to ride) to do when in the middle of a right hand curve...counter steering.

Doesn't matter if the motorcyclist "wasn't exactly dawdling along" does it? He was in his lane heading in the correct direction.

Any "counter steering" at a closing speed of at least 120 kph and already leaning into his long right-hand turn would have resulted in instability and probably laying the bike down into the path of the car. He could also have turned harder to his left which would definitely have separated him from the bike with it going safely into the dirt while pitching him into the path of the car with the same, sad ending.

No way the bike rider can be to blame for his own death here unless the criteria extends to fanciful notions such as staying at home, never riding a bike, not being in Thailand or not even being born in the first place.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:
On 5/27/2021 at 3:45 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

From the video it appears that the motorcyclist wasn't exactly dawdling along and made no visible attempt to brake before the collision although he did seem to make a very last moment attempt to move to the left.  That may have been difficult for someone (who may possibly not have been properly trained to ride) to do when in the middle of a right hand curve...counter steering.

Expand  

Doesn't matter if the motorcyclist "wasn't exactly dawdling along" does it? He was in his lane heading in the correct direction...

No way the bike rider can be to blame for his own death here...

I didn't say that he was to blame.   But, if he was exceeding the speed limit that could have been a contributing factor.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/27/2021 at 6:29 PM, 4MyEgo said:
On 5/27/2021 at 12:07 PM, VocalNeal said:

There was open ground and even a small section of shoulder to his left.  Which was an obvious escape route. can even be seen in the photos above.

Lose gravel to the left would have brought him down like a bag of <deleted> regardless, always harder to make a split decision when your on a bike than in a car, also depends on how many years you have been a rider and know how to fall, he might not of had enough time to make that split decision or froze or wasn't confident.

'Obvious escape routes' aside, the car driver was overtaking blind.

I think I may have solved the mystery of how this accident occurred.

If you study the first milliseconds of the video, it appears that the car in front of and traveling in the same direction as the black car had just moments before passed the commodity transport truck. I believe you can see the car in front returning to the left hand lane on the video.

While the car in front of the black car was passing the commodity truck, the line of vision between BOTH the motorcycle and the black car was partially blocked. As the car in front of the black car would have substantially blocked or impaired the view of oncoming traffic while it was passing the commodity truck, I would say that the black car was 90% liable for the accident because traffic and road conditions made it almost impossible to thoroughly ascertain whether the road was clear.

I would still attribute 10% of the liability for the accident to the motorcyclist for driving too fast for conditions and an inattentive reaction time. You can see on the video, the moment the black car hit his brakes, because he slows in relation to the commodity truck, but there is no similar slowing by the motorcycle. The motorcyclist was probably focused on making sure that the car in front of the black car cleared his lane in time, and realized only too late that there was yet another car tailing behind the car which had just passed.

Edited by Gecko123

35 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

'Obvious escape routes' aside, the car driver was overtaking blind.

I just saw the video, yes the driver overtook too early and on a winding corner, bike was also moving too fast to slow, but I would have thought that the car could have moved over, inexperienced driver. Personally, I wouldn't want to take the gravel route if on that bike, or drop it, but the gravel route would have been the only alternative.

Edited by 4MyEgo

16 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Geez..the Thai driver has been charged with neg driving causing death.

How many expats does it take to change a light bulb?

People are analyzing and discussing this tragic accident in an effort to learn from it and to build safety awareness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

the american wasnt driving like a maniac, he was driving in his lane and didnt disturb anyone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Doesn't matter if the motorcyclist "wasn't exactly dawdling along" does it? He was in his lane heading in the correct direction.

Any "counter steering" at a closing speed of at least 120 kph and already leaning into his long right-hand turn would have resulted in instability and probably laying the bike down into the path of the car. He could also have turned harder to his left which would definitely have separated him from the bike with it going safely into the dirt while pitching him into the path of the car with the same, sad ending.

No way the bike rider can be to blame for his own death here unless the criteria extends to fanciful notions such as staying at home, never riding a bike, not being in Thailand or not even being born in the first place.

that covers it all nicely

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I think I may have solved the mystery of how this accident occurred.

If you study the first milliseconds of the video, it appears that the car in front of and traveling in the same direction as the black car had just moments before passed the commodity transport truck. I believe you can see the car in front returning to the left hand lane on the video.

While the car in front of the black car was passing the commodity truck, the line of vision between BOTH the motorcycle and the black car was partially blocked. As the car in front of the black car would have substantially blocked or impaired the view of oncoming traffic while it was passing the commodity truck, I would say that the black car was 90% liable for the accident because traffic and road conditions made it almost impossible to thoroughly ascertain whether the road was clear.

I would still attribute 10% of the liability for the accident to the motorcyclist for driving too fast for conditions and an inattentive reaction time. You can see on the video, the moment the black car hit his brakes, because he slows in relation to the commodity truck, but there is no similar slowing by the motorcycle. The motorcyclist was probably focused on making sure that the car in front of the black car cleared his lane in time, and realized only too late that there was yet another car tailing behind the car which had just passed.

the conditions was as fine as it can get except for the fact an illiterate decided to take over using the bikers lane, and didnt even revert back when he saw the lane was busy

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I didn't say that he was to blame.   But, if he was exceeding the speed limit that could have been a contributing factor.

Keep diggin' that hole, dude.

You dig a lot of holes.

Such as?   I mean real ones, that you can justify, not just your misreading my comment.   Dude.   Nice hole you started for yourself, there!   Dude.

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Such as?   I mean real ones, that you can justify, not just your misreading my comment.   Dude.   Nice hole you started for yourself, there!   Dude.

Sorry ol'buddy..I am very sure that you would be the first to admit that you like to launch attacks against "farangs" as you,of course,did this time.

Nice knee-jerk reaction.

Failed on this one.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Sad 1

poor guy must have “ froze”.... you must react in some way to survive that situation.....

nobody survives a head on at highway speeds so straight collision is never an option.......

high beam & helmet / gloves & strong shoes always , esp. in darkness..... defend YOURSELF at all times..
my pre- planned response facing a “ head on” like this : brake,steer left, jump off the bike into a parachutist roll , if collision unavoidable or bike control lost ( land on two relaxed legs ,knees together, roll with body direction) 

strong chances of minimal injury if properly kitted out in a jump / roll as above...

worked already when losing bike control steering a right hand bend at night on that blasted gravel / sand left at road side.......semi-controlled two wheel skid to slow bike then jumped off when bike started to lean over...... running board deep cut above my heel, minor abrasions to arm & leg....

at high speed you will probably break the landing arm or leg like this .... important to relax....

way better than dead or paralyzed ...

do carry the local PA insurance to get fixed up properly and promptly at private hospital

mine is Chubb PA 7k yearly

even with these minor scrapes , insurance bill was 20k baht after three visits as hospital “ go to town “ with treatment on insurance  !

public hospital fix up for maybe 3k in my case .....after painful & long waits in emergency I suppose......

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:
14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Sorry ol'buddy..I am very sure that you would be the first to admit that you like to launch attacks against "farangs" as you,of course,did this time.

Nice knee-jerk reaction.

Failed on this one.

No, I wouldn't admit that as I do not "attack farangs" at all, there's your misreading ability clouding it again.   What makes you claim that I "launched an attack on a farang", "this time"?

Nothing on "the holes" that you seem to think I dig for myself that you cannot pinpoint?  Thought not.

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, I wouldn't admit that as I do not "attack farangs" at all, there's your misreading ability clouding it again.   What makes you claim that I "launched an attack on a farang", "this time"?

Nothing on "the holes" that you seem to think I dig for myself that you cannot pinpoint?  Thought not.

Knee jerk reaction ol'boy on every thread that you think that you can catch a "farang" out-including this sad and tragic event -it's as plain as a country dunny on parade...or Jane Mansfield's decolletage on Twiggy..

As I have stated-even the Thai police do not agree with you and some of the other equally disturbed and insufferable "heroes" on this thread.

RIP to the rider who died and peace and calm to his loved ones and friends.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Thanks 1

carefully considered bike or car use cases when driving here a lot for last 15 months......

i do insist my lady / son use only the car......

car is somewhat safer but use euro cars only I suggest as these asian motors fold like a cheap box when hit hard so can crush you inside, seatbelt or not , whereas you can “ leave” a bike .....

which is way more convenient to park and circumvent traffic & traffic lights, so faster trips.......

i did not come to Thailand to sit in traffic........

but you MUST wear full face Western Helmet, Gloves & Strong Shoes. Learn Defensive Driving.

FULL Road Attention at all times....... yes, have had several near misses ........ avoided by experience / reaction..... mopeds will suddenly turn right or merge from left with four wheelers overtaking in your face ( biggest threats to me here) 

12 hours ago, bojo said:

I had one too, in '79. What fun and thank goodness for the decompression lever............. was looking recently at current  prices for em now in UK,,,,,anything between 4K, up to about 10K restored..............

Thanks for the info, Bojo! I was too scared to google for an XT-500 as I feared prices might be like that. It's the ultimate ride and I am grateful for once having been a proud XT-500 rider. It carried me safely through snow, ice, rain, storm... what a beast of a machine! 

12 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:
23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Knee jerk reaction ol'boy on every thread that you think that you can catch a "farang" out-including this sad and tragic event

As I have stated-even the Thai police do not agree with you

So, nothing still.

You seem to be one of those who think that anyone who has an opinion, or makes an observation, that differs from the Thaivisa poster norm is wrong.    How do you rationalise that?

What is it that the "Thai police disagree with me" about?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So, nothing still.

You seem to be one of those who think that anyone who has an opinion, or makes an observation, that differs from the Thaivisa poster norm is wrong.    How do you rationalise that?

What is it that the "Thai police disagree with me" about?

It's repetition me ol' mate..

past performance (posts)= present behavior.

Or..once a tiny little jab always a tiny little jab...

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, mikebike said:

If you say so...

I already described in detail how easy it was to avoid if the bike was positioned in the lane properly and travelling at a safe speed.

Apparently 40 years of riding doesn't increase common sense.

The thing that disgusts me the most is that probably we have broken a beer together at some random bike week somewhere out there in Thailand. If so, I'd like to undo that please... I don't like smart #sses who HAVE to get it their way and who need to always have the last say while insulting others who try to prove their point in a nice way. Disgraceful to say the least, especially part blaming the American for being wiped out by that moronic Mitsubishi driver. Should be ashamed of yourself.

Edited by Freigeist365
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1