New poll shows most parents worry about schools reopening amid COVID-19

snoop1130

เด็กนักเรียนขึ้นรถไปโรงเรียน..jpg

A poll, conducted by Thailand’s Health Department, has revealed that many parents remain very concerned about the COVID-19 pandemic, ahead of the scheduled school reopening on June 14th.

A whopping 95.6% of respondents are concerned about the pandemic in general. 41.3% of them are concerned that their children might contract the disease from their classmates, teachers, or other school staff, according to Health Department Director-General Dr. Suwanchai Wattanayingcharoenchai.

Parents also said that schools must ensure the health of students and teachers, adjust the environment in the school grounds appropriately, to prevent the spread of the virus, and that the school meets public health standards.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/new-poll-shows-most-parents-worry-about-schools-reopening-amid-covid-19/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-05-27

As I wrote already last month, why are the teachers and school staff not being vaccinated if they want to open schools the 1st of June... Now even with delaying to 14th June almost none of the teachers are vaccinated. A friend of mine who is a teacher will get his jab the 14th June,  Teachers from other schools unknown, when and if... But Tourism in Phuket and Pattaya and Bangkok are on the top of the list.. Why not first prepare your country for normal life again instead of putting all the efforts in the Tourism that will fail for sure...   

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

A poll, conducted by Thailand’s Health Department, has revealed that many parents remain very concerned about the COVID-19 pandemic, ahead of the scheduled school reopening on June 14th.

I agree with the parents.  Can't see this ending well...

Hope they offer on-line video of lessons to those who prefer to stay home for a few more weeks.

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Must be Thai parents.  I am far more worried about the continuation of ineffective online learning after 14 June when schools are supposed to be re-opening.  Education doesn't seem a priority for Thai parents or the Thai government. ????

Not just Thai parents. 

If I had a child, there is no way known I would have them attend school, especially the younger critters.

Schools are a petri dish.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I sympathise, but how long would you continue to keep your child out of education?  Covid won't be disappearing completely for years, so there will always be some risk.  Hopefully the government will sort out the vaccination programme, but if schools re-open any time soon (and I accept that might be a big "if"), my son will back on day 1.

I'm a teacher myself and had one of the ThongLor infected students in my class for 3 days in early April before he knew he was infected.  Everyone at my school who had come into contact with him got tested and we were all negative, as were the other (6) students in the class. He spent 14 days in hospital and was completely asymptomatic throughout.  I can't wait to get back to face-to-face teaching myself.

Not long out of school.  We've already made the decision to leave Thailand at the end of the year, if not earlier.  The only question is where we go (we have three different nationalities, none of which are Thai, so have location options -- current short list is US, UK, Spain, Philippines).

We are not especially worried about the virus itself, but none of these countries would force us into paid isolation / hospitalization -- Thailand is unique in that regard and Philippines is the only one expected to still have a major covid issue by August so it is least likely destination.  Also, a 5-yr old isn't exactly learning vector calculus, so missing classes is not a huge setback - we could replace the thrice weekly online Meet classes and homework at a small fraction of the cost with private tutors.  If we pay huge money for an international school, we expect him to actually ATTEND such school -- absolutely no guarantee of that here, even in the fall.

BTW, since you have first hand experience, can you elaborate on what happened to the family of the the Covid-positive student? Where they hospitalized / isolated as well? I can't imagine the child was kept alone. 

(As an aside, such a small class size is a luxury for you as a teacher and for the kids, most are not so lucky -- our son's k3 class is standard for intl schools at around 14 and with a waitlist of Thais willing to pay to escape public schools)

Edited by eppic
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Considering the vaccine saga I don't think that will be happening.

The first batch that comes out of Siam Bioscience will go straight to hot-spots in Bangkok and other troubled areas to try to contain increasing infection rates.

Teachers and students will have to wait, along with all the others on the list.

13 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Must be Thai parents.  I am far more worried about the continuation of ineffective online learning after 14 June when schools are supposed to be re-opening.  Education doesn't seem a priority for Thai parents or the Thai government. ????

I would have thought that the health and safety of children comes above education.

One more month won't hurt them, but Covid infection will.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eppic said:

Not long out of school.  We've already made the decision to leave Thailand at the end of the year, if not earlier.  The only question is where we go (we have three different nationalities, none of which are Thai, so have location options -- current short list is US, UK, Spain, Philippines).

We are not especially worried about the virus itself, but none of these countries would force us into paid isolation / hospitalization -- Thailand is unique in that regard and Philippines is the only one expected to still have a major covid issue by August so it is least likely destination.  Also, a 5-yr old isn't exactly learning vector calculus, so missing classes is not a huge setback - we could replace the thrice weekly online Meet classes and homework at a small fraction of the cost with private tutors.  If we pay huge money for an international school, we expect him to actually ATTEND such school -- absolutely no guarantee of that here, even in the fall.

BTW, since you have first hand experience, can you elaborate on what happened to the family of the the Covid-positive student? Where they hospitalized / isolated as well? I can't imagine the child was kept alone. 

(As an aside, such a small class size is a luxury for you as a teacher and for the kids, most are not so lucky -- our son's k3 class is standard for intl schools at around 14 and with a waitlist of Thais willing to pay to escape public schools)

I wish you all the best, and were it an easy option for me, I would also consider leaving Thailand completely.

In answer to your question, no the family of the infected student were not hospitalised. They all tested negative and were "advised" to self-isolate for 14 days. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It it was only one month I could accept it, but it's been many more months than that, and as Covid is not going to disappear for years (if ever), schools will need to go back at some time.  Children are at very low risk from Covid in any case.  

I agree Covid will be around for years to come [possibly]

The time to send kids back is after vaccination, not before.

No risk is better than some risk.

• Like 1

be prepared for schools to close over and over.......your kids will probably get 1 day a week......triple masked.   teachers behind 10 masks......

but pay your tuition!!!!   

i would NEVER send my kid to school in this environment.  The internet is a thing, I'm a thing, online classes is a thing, and I'm only taking about a few MONTHS.  everyone vaxxed, then talk to me....

experiment on others......even if they try their best, of course they will.......of course nobody wants people to get Covid (well, not sure about in Wuhan).....but there are long term effects.......and for a kid that is a long time.   

long term effects on me means about 11 extra days......i'm OK with that.  

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

I agree Covid will be around for years to come [possibly]

The time to send kids back is after vaccination, not before.

No risk is better than some risk.

Vaccinations are key, but Thailand is way behind.  Basically, I'll be sending my kid back when the school opens for classes again.  There's only one month before the end of term anyway.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Agreed. But unfortunately education for children has never been - and never will be - a priority in Thailand. Makes my blood boil when people in this country say they love children. Actions speak louder than words. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I can see that.  If I didn't have a child I'd probably feel the same.  But seeing how these "lockdowns" and ineffectual online classes are changing my 6-year-old, I consider his education paramount (and my, and my wife's sanity!).

Spot on! 

quite ironic really, they think this because they're uneducated about covid.  most thais are scared of it but don't even know anything about it.     its a well known fact that children are highly unlikely to catch it and if they do it will usually be mild symptoms if any. flu is more of a threat to children than covid.

• Like 1