Thailand road carnage: 55 dead Monday - stats show deathtoll continues like previous years

webfact

7 hours ago, placeholder said:

So far, all the commentators have ignored the fact that 80% of the dead are motorcyclists. Ya think that might have something to do with the high death toll?

What a bizarre comment. What difference does it make what they are driving. Are you suggesting that as they are motorcyclists their death doesn't count as much?

• Like 1

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

What a bizarre comment. What difference does it make what they are driving. Are you suggesting that as they are motorcyclists their death doesn't count as much?

No, I'm suggesting that comparing Thai road deaths to road deaths in wealthier nations takes no account of the fact that a lot higher percentage of drivers in Thailand are on motorbikes than is the case with wealthier nations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benmart said:

The leadership has no clue or interest  in reducing the road carnage. The solution to this carnage has been worked out by most of the "developed countries". 

What do you suggest they do? Establishing a police force might be a useful start, I suppose.

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I believe that several SE Asian nations have at least as many motorcyclists as Thailand but not the death toll. That might be because the police actually police them, and there might be an element that Thais will always do what they want to do, regardless of the risk. It's a culture thing.

That may be your belief but is it a fact? Thailand is quite a bit wealthier than most SE asian nations so it may be that there are simply more motorcycles on the road on a per capita basis. wikipedia has a page that lists death per 100,000 vehicles. Thailand does a lot better than China or India,, better han Laos, Myanmar, and Cambodia. Slightly worse than Vietnam. Considerably worse than Malaysia and Indonesia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, placeholder said:

That may be your belief but is it a fact? Thailand is quite a bit wealthier than most SE asian nations so it may be that there are simply more motorcycles on the road on a per capita basis. wikipedia has a page that lists death per 100,000 vehicles. Thailand does a lot better than China or India,, better han Laos, Myanmar, and Cambodia. Slightly worse than Vietnam. Considerably worse than Malaysia and Indonesia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

I've made this point a few times before, but it usually falls on deaf ears. If you sort by "deaths per 100,000 vehicles", Thailand is only 93rd in the world.

That's not to say that the standard of driving in Thailand isn't appalling.

Edited by nkg
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nkg said:

I've made this point a few times before, but it usually falls on deaf ears. If you sort by "deaths per 100,000 vehicles", Thailand is only 93rd in the world.

659246983_thailandroaddeaths.thumb.png.a8015e3501462115f4b872205e3b2992.png

ANd it's compounded by the fact in economically developed nations, the proportion of cars to motorbikes is a lot higher.

• Like 1

Just now, placeholder said:

ANd it's compounded by the fact in economically developed nations, the proportion of cars to motorbikes is a lot higher.

Of course. The UK is one of the safest countries in the world to own a car, but their motorbike riders die 61.5 times more frequently.

In the UK in 2017 there were 116.9 motorcyclist fatalities per billion passenger miles, 61.5 times the rate of 1.9 fatalities per billion passenger miles for occupants of cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, itsari said:

Motorcycles have most deaths  on Thai roads . Motor vehicles cause most of the motorcycle accidents . Try and educate the Thai drivers , not an easy task

Vehicles cause most motorcycle accidents ----fact or just your carefully researched investigation? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Had an accident a couple of hundred metres up the road from me on Monday. Driver taken away in a serious condition and wasn't expected to survive. Apparently he just came out of a side road without looking and was hit by a pickup. While they were clearing up the mess three kids raced past us on a bike, laughing.

A few weeks ago my sister-in-law killed a woman on a motorcycle who came out of a side road without looking (verified by CCTV) and was hit by her van.

In one of the 20+ accidents within 500 metres of my house in the seven years that I've been here on a long straight road, a motorcyclist decided to do a sudden right turn without looking and was hit by a pickup. One dead, the other rider had her legs amputated.

I could go on..... You can't help these people, but it's their country, their culture.  Thankfully, they usually only kill themselves. I'm okay with that, as the Thais obviously are as they do nothing at all to change the situation. Like educating people. It is also down to the total absence of common sense.

Hi Bangkok Barry. Good to hear from you. All I can say is yep and wow with an OMG. In Thailand I have personally before seen the life of a motorcycle rider who was a kid die. But what I am saying is As I came upon him I saw his eyes turn from light alive to dead no light. Still has a lasting effect on me. For me an already dead body is just that, a dead body. No biggie. But seeing the lights turned off is odd. Not that I haven't seen tis before, but his life was so young. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The thing is, nobody really cares. Discipline is a totally alien concept in Thailand as is safety, so everyone is free to play Russian roulette with their life. And sometimes, dozens of times every day, some lose. Not only with motorcyclists....

Road Safety 1.jpg

Still room for at least another 3, maybe 4 on the tail-gate. 

4 hours ago, Artisi said:

Vehicles cause most motorcycle accidents ----fact or just your carefully researched investigation? 

Just my observations of traffic accidents , observing how bad the driving is in Thailand and somehow surviving on the roads here. I consider that is a carefully researched conclusion at great risk to myself. I have driven in many countries and can say with confidence the standard of driving in Thailand is atrocious.

I arrest my case Mr Artisi

• Like 2

I am just happy that my Thai relatives do not ride motorcycles very much. They all have SUVs mostly, and a few have mid size cars

Only 2 members of the family in Bangkok ride around the city on the Honda 150s and they are fairly careful. Only one had an

accident 2 years ago and she has started using the city buses more often to go to work, as she had been using motorcycle taxis

when she and the driver go hit by someone in a car who was not watching and driving like everyone else was.

Thailand, the wild wild East.

Geezer

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

That is light as are road deaths when you consider that 44, 549 people died of influenza and Pneumonia in Thailand in 2018, and here we all are freaking out over 1,000 deaths since April due to Covid and yes I am aware it is highly contagious, but 90% + people recover with mild symptoms and 0.62% people in the older age groups and those with underlying conditions die.

We all going to go somehow, personally, I prefer to just chill and watch things unfold until I will get a decent vaccination, if there is such a thing, Moderna, Pfizer, J&J, maybe herd immunity might have been reached by then ?

You just can't help yourself can you. In a thread supposedly about Covid, you will bring in the road deaths. Now here we are in a thread about road deaths, and you are carping on about Covid and vaccinations.  

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You just can't help yourself can you. In a thread supposedly about Covid, you will bring in the road deaths. Now here we are in a thread about road deaths, and you are carping on about Covid and vaccinations.  

Time for your coffee, double dose.

It's been 15 years or more when we last visited Thailand.  In about 3 weeks we saw the atermath of 3 fatal motorcycle accidents, and we weren't out and about that much.  I only rode a bike for a year or so in Thailand '77/'78 and only went over the handlebars once. Superman style, flying in the air. Ouch.  And that was in Loei which had zip in the way of traffic back then.

Idiots are out there ...

Edited by Damrongsak

11 hours ago, nkg said:

Of course. The UK is one of the safest countries in the world to own a car, but their motorbike riders die 61.5 times more frequently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety

Lies damned lies and statistics comes to mind reading your post . 

I am sure in my mind where i would prefer to ride a motorcycle . Even more sure with driving .

11 minutes ago, itsari said:

Lies damned lies and statistics comes to mind reading your post . 

I am sure in my mind where i would prefer to ride a motorcycle . Even more sure with driving .

The statistic is comparing UK cars with UK motorcycles - it has no connection to Thailand. It just illustrates the point that motorbikes are more dangerous than cars even in well-off countries with strong licensing and traffic laws.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Nothing is going to change.....it's the mindset of Thai people,

Doing things without thinking about it first, even for a second.

I cannot see a solution.....

regards Worgeordie 

Ever the optimist! ??

13 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I believe that several SE Asian nations have at least as many motorcyclists as Thailand but not the death toll.

But is your belief born out by any data? 

19 hours ago, Henryford said:

I was surprised as most Thai towns are not near the sea.

But there is an enormous amount of coastline and even more rivers.  And a very large proportion (>30%) of the population lives close to Bangkok and the Eastern Seaboard, both very watery places.

21 hours ago, placeholder said:

So far, all the commentators have ignored the fact that 80% of the dead are motorcyclists. Ya think that might have something to do with the high death toll?

That is easy to say but what if 60% of those 80% motorcyclist were hit by speeding drunk car/truck drivers?