Patong thieves blame unemployment for turn to crime

webfact

1622687045_1-org.jpg

The two men were tracked down by CCTV. Photo: Patong Police

By Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Two men arrested in Patong for stealing a coffee machine and two television sets from a restaurant have blamed unemployment for their turn to crime, saying that without work they had turned to stealing items in order to have enough money to pay for basic living expenses.

The two men ‒ Samran Luiprasert, 42, from Samut Sakhon, and Amphon Boonchuaynamphon, 34, from Chachoengsao ‒ were arrested by Patong Police early yesterday morning (June 2).

In their report of the arrests, police explained that the men were tracked down after the owner of the ‘Safe Number One’ restaurant on Phra Baramee Rd in Patong had filed a formal complaint that thieves had entered his businesses property and stolen several items.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-thieves-blame-unemployment-for-turn-to-crime-80211.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-06-03

• Sad 1

Some 2 or 3 generations ago, people running out of money for whatever reason, did not revert to stealing for a living.

The Thai government is now distributing 3,500 bags of food in town. The Thai government makes some decisions regarding the Covid situation, but certainly is not responsible for its devastating effects.

My family used to tell us about how our grandfather would regularly welcome neighbors to his table during the Great Depression.

I remember poor families in my home town during my youth, and no houses then needed locks on any door.

Some people described what they saw in Somalia in the 1920's and 30's. I can tell what my parents saw in Haiti in the 1960's. No fear then, just respect, locals pushing aside to let visitors ahead to go to a bank teller.

So heh, the whole world has become violent, the whole world finds a very good reason to kill and rob.

I remember visiting Acapulco in the 1980's or so. Wonderful vacation. Now a Mexican lady from Acapulco told me that now, you cannot walk out at night on the beach front. Too dangerous.

Americans have to flee the Mexican Universities in northern Mexico. Too violent now.

Venezuela was fine, Columbia was fine. I would not like my son to go visiting there nowadays.

The world is getting violent. Respect for others including their life is gone. Even in a country raised with 'Ka' 'Khap' and 'Wai's'.

Need work, Oh really. I see beggars sometimes. I see people on the side of main streets, sitting down with a bit of vegetables for sale. Eating a small meal. I regularly stop to leave enough money to buy all of his crop, while leaving with nothing, except the view of his smile on his face.

Well, asking for something free, seems to work in Thailand, so why not. Certainly works for all these men in Thailand dressed in long dresses of a golden color.

4 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

While I know of quite a few jobs open for those who would LIKE to work. But yeah, stealing is the easier way out. 

/Rant

The factory I work with in Rayong can't get enough workers!   For years now....   It's a textile factory, it's hot, but no sun, and most of the work is just monitoring large machines, not really a lot of physical labor.

The young Thais will show up, work maybe a week or 2, and then they quit.   'Cuz, you know, it's actual WORK....    Seen literally HUNDREDS do this in the last year alone.  The Thai owner says Thais just want to sit in A/C all day, don't want to work hard any more.   Now of course that is a generalization as some Thai workers are fantastic and we couldn't survive without them.  But it seems most of the younger generation are complete lazy morons.

/Rant

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, n8sail said:

/Rant

The factory I work with in Rayong can't get enough workers!   For years now....   It's a textile factory, it's hot, but no sun, and most of the work is just monitoring large machines, not really a lot of physical labor.

The young Thais will show up, work maybe a week or 2, and then they quit.   'Cuz, you know, it's actual WORK....    Seen literally HUNDREDS do this in the last year alone.  The Thai owner says Thais just want to sit in A/C all day, don't want to work hard any more.   Now of course that is a generalization as some Thai workers are fantastic and we couldn't survive without them.  But it seems most of the younger generation are complete lazy morons.

/Rant

then go on to complain when staff from neighbouring countries "steal their jobs"  

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expect a lot more crime nationwide, I’m already surprised there isn’t a lot more. 

The people in positions of decision making power do not go hungry as a result of their decisions, meanwhile those impacted most severely by the decisions are going hungry. 

When people get hungry and desperate they are capable of anything and with each passing day more and more people in Thailand are getting desperate and hungry.

People keep making the same claim over and over again with any downturn, but year after year this predicted rise in crime hasn't happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n8sail said:

/Rant

/Rant

You could have the same rant about any western country with people complaining about migrant workers stealing jobs while many are unemployed. In the end it is simply a matter of economics.

• Like 1

Asked my wife to find some young strong male from the village to remove about 15 square meters of bamboo stumps. One came with something that looked like a large kitchen knife; zero progress after two hours of huffing, puffing and moaning. He left and never came back; theses guys just have no idea about hard work.

Got myself a good demolition bar and did the job myself while the parasite went back to his cronies, polluting the village with mindlessly loud bass, drinking gasoline and getting high on Yabaa. 

I guess break ins will happen at some stage once they have exhausted whatever savings they brought back from Bangkok.

2 hours ago, n8sail said:

/Rant

/Rant

So I guess the Thai owner would like to work with no a/c nor very hard ? Hypocrites, teach by example. HISO Thais with the businesses are generally the dregs of life form in Thailand and they expect it to continue ?

11 minutes ago, Excel said:

So I guess the Thai owner would like to work with no a/c nor very hard ? Hypocrites, teach by example. HISO Thais with the businesses are generally the dregs of life form in Thailand and they expect it to continue ?

The owners are educated, hard-working people.   Just because they're not on the factory floor doesn't mean they aren't working.  It takes a huge amount of management to keep a company this size running.  Believe me, I help manage it.

I agree, some HISOs are indeed self-entitled lazy low-lifes...  but this company is nearly 40 years old, passed down and managed by the family and everyone seems to pull their weight.   Will be interesting to see how their next generation does, the oldest is now in early 20s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, n8sail said:

The Thai owner says Thais just want to sit in A/C all day

Maybe install some A/C  so the workers can work in  more comfort ? ( yes expensive)

I remember working in a tin roof factory in England and it could get sweltering in the summer there even with every door and window open  they/we brought in fans  that just pushed the hot air around  not much help  lucky the British summer doesn't last too long..  ohh the office workers and management did have aircon  to keep their brain cool whilst sitting down all day !!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, johng said:

Maybe install some A/C  so the workers can work in  more comfort ? ( yes expensive)

I remember working in a tin roof factory in England and it could get sweltering in the summer there even with every door and window open  they/we brought in fans  that just pushed the hot air around  not much help  lucky the British summer doesn't last too long..  ohh the office workers and management did have aircon  to keep their brain cool whilst sitting down all day !!

I wish!

Just our section of the factory is more than 15,000 square meters!   There are dozens of textile finishing machines running at temps well above 180C inside...   I can't even imagine the cost of cooling this place.  I'm sure there are industries with similar sized facilities that do run A/C...  but they are likely in much higher margin industries like automotive or chip manufacturing.   Also not likely as heat-intensive machinery on a scale like this.

To the comment about sitting all day cooling the brain...  there are MANY MANY days I'd give anything to be a lowly machine operator in the heat than deal with the headaches I constantly and dealt in my position.  Of course I wouldn't want to deal with the salary, but there are days where it seems a reasonable trade-off.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:
20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expect a lot more crime nationwide, I’m already surprised there isn’t a lot more. 

The people in positions of decision making power do not go hungry as a result of their decisions, meanwhile those impacted most severely by the decisions are going hungry. 

When people get hungry and desperate they are capable of anything and with each passing day more and more people in Thailand are getting desperate and hungry.

Expand  

People keep making the same claim over and over again with any downturn, but year after year this predicted rise in crime hasn't happened.

I hope you are correct...  but this is not a down-turn its a depression. 

2% unemployment was reported which I find wholly unbelievable. The Thai Chamber of Commerce produced 20% unemployment, I believe we could be closer to this figure. 

Perhaps is its confirmation bias that has me reading of more robberies and I’m simply noticing the stories more than I otherwise would. 

I am honestly surprised that I haven’t read of more crime, more robbers, mobile phone, purse and handbag snatches.

I’m also surprised I have not read of a significant increase in confrontational crime which is a testament to the positive Thai character. 

I am certain of one thing: a lot of people are hurting.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

And, if there is anyone to blame - it is the people who elect those subsequent crooked governments.

I think that even though officially unproven it was suggested that the ballots had been manipulated and there were even reports that the military personally trucked their minions to the polls and looked over their shoulders for how they marked the x.. District boundaries were changed to overlap into opposition areas to help fit a majority to get more of a winning scenario. Then double standards and the opposition being taken out and others found not guilty. Rescind the constitution and 250 military given Senators, then under normal circumstance's which still is a bit scandalous being Thailand standards, they would have never made the grade and be the controllers. But then if that happened the likelihood of a new coup would have been high. 

So just say if FFP or Phue Thai were under the helm, you can bet the vaccines would have already been in Thailand having the best ones and the country would be getting back on track a lot better and faster than being stuck in limbo land of abyss it is now. For these two on the motorbike and stealing, well at least it was not a physical armed robbery where someone got hurt or killed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

You could have the same rant about any western country with people complaining about migrant workers stealing jobs while many are unemployed. In the end it is simply a matter of economics.

Sir, it pains me to have to agree with you here as this does apply to seasonal jobs in the UK that require poorly paid slave labour; fruit pickers etc.

Referring to economics, say in the local construction industry, the valid rants I hear relate to the fact that non-UK builders can quote cheaper as they are not registered as companies here and pay no tax or VAT. Registered UK companies do not have that luxury and good luck should the job go belly-up and the cheap foreign builder has disappeared.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I think that even though officially unproven it was suggested that the ballots had been manipulated and there were even reports that the military personally trucked their minions to the polls and looked over their shoulders for how they marked the x.. District boundaries were changed to overlap into opposition areas to help fit a majority to get more of a winning scenario. Then double standards and the opposition being taken out and others found not guilty. Rescind the constitution and 250 military given Senators, then under normal circumstance's which still is a bit scandalous being Thailand standards, they would have never made the grade and be the controllers. But then if that happened the likelihood of a new coup would have been high. 

So just say if FFP or Phue Thai were under the helm, you can bet the vaccines would have already been in Thailand having the best ones and the country would be getting back on track a lot better and faster than being stuck in limbo land of abyss it is now. For these two on the motorbike and stealing, well at least it was not a physical armed robbery where someone got hurt or killed.

Absolutely right on the money, thank you. 

On 6/4/2021 at 9:59 AM, n8sail said:

/Rant

/Rant

Truer words never written. I had a restaurant which I sold four years ago. Latter not because of no customer, lousy product or poor business - no - I turned away customers as I simply did not have the staff in either kitchen to prepare the meals nor the waiting staff. Nobody had less than 20'000 Baht a month and still, I never had a steady staff base. 

So, one day, I just had it and put the place up for sale. In hindsight it was the very best thing I ever did; my successor had the very same problem and ultimately closed down - before all that corona hysteria flooded the country. 

Wait for another few years; reality check is imminent. And then it will be roll call for Thailand and they will awake with a terrible hangover of unpaid bills, repossessed cars, bikes and houses, and no qualifications to do much more than being janitors to the Chinese, who are buying up anything and everything they can. I will not be around to see this happening - lucky me! But what a pity for country and (the diminishing crowd of) good, hard working and honest Thais ..... 

The writing has been on the wall for a very long time already .............. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1