CPALL plans to open 700 new 7-Eleven stores

webfact

11 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I buy milk in 7-11 and absoulutely nothing else, I hate the places, I hated them in England and I hate them here.

How and why did you hate them in England?  England never had more than about 50 shops nationwide, and they haven't had any since around 1998.  I remember there was one on Oxford Street but think that's the only one I've ever seen.

So why did you hate them in England when they have barely ever existed there?

• Like 1

Amazed that there is so much bile towards one of the few well-managed businesses in Thailand.

Everyone is free to shop where they want. Having one chain lead the way on convenience and consistency has set a good example for all retail stores in Thailand.

• Like 1

Just outside the main town of Loei heading north there are five 7-Elevens in 3 km.  Two are nearly across from each other on the highway.  Two are in the same row of shops 60 meters apart near the college. 

4 hours ago, Poet said:

Amazed that there is so much bile towards one of the few well-managed businesses in Thailand.

Everyone is free to shop where they want. Having one chain lead the way on convenience and consistency has set a good example for all retail stores in Thailand.

Because they will put all the independent shops out of business.

Then, they'll set the prices that they want, & people won't have a choice.

I rather like 7/11, it is very convenient etc, but isn't individuality important too?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, faraday said:

I rather like 7/11, it is very convenient etc, but isn't individuality important too?

The exact importance will be determined by the market. If an independent store provides a better service, it will do well.

10 minutes ago, faraday said:

Consumer choice is a good thing. 7/11 have just as much right as any other business to be one of the options available to people.

11 minutes ago, faraday said:

That doesn't make any sense. A grocery store is one of easiest cash businesses to open. If one store in a neighborhood starts charging unreasonable prices, a competitor offering better prices will crop up in no time.

7/11 are not a monopoly. They are successful because they delivered a consistent service. When you walk into a 7/11, even in another province, you know exactly what you're going to find, and there is a high probability that the products you have in mind will be in stock. That is impressive.

Before 7/11, most small grocery stores did not display prices and you could get charged anything, especially as a farang. 7/11 made life a bit easier for us, especially when most of the other stores had to adopt the same standards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, faraday said:

It's said  of Sam Walton, founder of Walmart: "Contrary to the prevailing practice of American discount store chains, Walton located stores in smaller towns, not larger cities. To be near consumers, the only option at the time was to open outlets in small towns. Walton's model offered two advantages. First, existing competition was limited and secondly, if a store was large enough to control business in a town and its surrounding areas, other merchants would be discouraged from entering the market."

image.png

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Poet said:

I tend to agree.... they made a few Ma and Pa shops sweep up the dead bugs, get rid of the dog licking the sweets on the counter, and rotate their stock. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poet said:

The exact importance will be determined by the market. If an independent store provides a better service, it will do well.

Please, can we find one area of life where we are not subjugated to the greed and exploitation of Mr. Market?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Please, can we find one area of life where we are not subjugated to the greed and exploitation of Mr. Market?

Well, as the "one area of life" we are talking about is shopping, no, not really.

Freedom to choose where you spend your money subjugates neither you nor anyone else. You can choose to pay more to support independent stores and artisans. As everyone is free to provide products and services, more variety is added to life.

Although the Che Guevara t-shirts may seem hip, under a soviet system you can only spend your money on products that someone else has decided are important, and you can only buy them from approved distributors. Any value created must be diverted towards the maintence and enforcement of a system that runs against human nature. That is subjugation and exploitation of everyone involved, even the enforcers.

Edited by Poet
  • Like 1

I dont have a problem with 7/11's they make some great snacks and the coffee is not to bad 50 baht for a large Cappuccino the places are always clean,

The only problem I ever had was last year in the first lockdown I bought bread as I normally did after a couple of days it had gone green mouldy I dont know what happened there maybe the bread company was shifting stock around.

I've never bought a loaf since now my wife make all our bread.

19 hours ago, brommers said:

Oh great, another 700 locations that will be afflicted by the ignorant parking of customers, the smell of food stalls, the stray dogs looking for food and the piles of litter dropped in the environs and not cleaned up by the store. 7-11 are a blight on the community.

Ignorant parking by customers . Oh how that grates , so true.  In the middle of the town here there is a 7/11 . Parking is limited on this road to parking on the left or the right as one way , but no , too far for the average Thai to park further along and walk back. They pull up outside 7/11 and bring all traffic to a standstill.  My wife accepts it , I rant and say " Have I ever parked in the middle of the road , no I have not ".   I do drop her off and say I will be parked along there somewhere ;   sometimes. She did say once ' Oh I only need a botten of milk '.   Sure but  6 customers in front at the checkout.

2 hours ago, villageidiotY2K said:

I'm loving it. May or stock rises to da heaven. 

I'm living it. Those mint chicklets serving me ciggie and ice coffee everyday makes my Johnny blood pumping. Those tight black pants mmmm. Mmmmmmm... 

Sounds like you are smoking what I have growing next door.

13 hours ago, Valentine said:

They actually do

Yep I didn't notice this until recently , could it be due to the covid scare ?

Just last week I went to one of our local 7/11s and one on the staff had a 7/11 jacket on , and a crash hat and he was taking a pic. of a bottle of coke in the pannier on his Scoopy.

Is there a delivery charge , surely getting a bottle of coke delivered is plain lazy ?

3 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Yep I didn't notice this until recently , could it be due to the covid scare ?

Just last week I went to one of our local 7/11s and one on the staff had a 7/11 jacket on , and a crash hat and he was taking a pic. of a bottle of coke in the pannier on his Scoopy.

Is there a delivery charge , surely getting a bottle of coke delivered is plain lazy ?

It seems like everybody is doing delivery yesterday my wife used Grab it was 1 baht 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 10:45 AM, toofarnorth said:

Sounds like you are smoking what I have growing next door.

Yyeeerh booooi, they gimmie profit and that's all I care about it brruuuhh

Tasty cheap priced coffee and young hot chicklets in da start of the day. What more could a successful man want??? 

Screenshot_20210215-103429.jpg

Love 7-Eleven...they are clean...well stocked...open 24/7 (normally) and often have super cute staff...what's not to like. You can have your dirty stinky corner "mom & pops," where you never know how long somethings been sitting in stock...I'll take a "Seven" all day long. All the whingers who hate them just because they're big...how do you think they got that way...because consumers love them.  I'm often in multiple times a day from my morning coffee and banana to a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch. They have expanded their offerings dramatically in recent years, and now have delicious and inexpensive desserts, quality ice-cream brands, and even in-house cafes, electronics, and pharmacies. Yes CP, bring on more "Seven" goodness. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

and often have super cute staff.

I agree.  Definitely a plus.   

HOWEVER.........Is it ME or does have every girl in 711 have a FLAT chest?

I don't think I've ever seen some Double DD's ........... OK, maybe 0.00005%

Gotta be a company policy.   OR.....they can make better money with some D's.  

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

I agree.  Definitely a plus.   

OR.....they can make better money with some D's.  

Yes they probably have more remunerative employment options. I think they must also have height restrictions...no female staff over 5' ????

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Haha 1