Anyone seen good property deals lately?

Todoroki

Hi. Apologies if this post is inappropriate, but I'm genuinely asking the question so I hope it won't get flamed.

I have been looking for a detached house in Pattaya to settle down with Thai wife and son. First we approached a couple of property dealers, but we have found their prices to be way over the top for what is, let's face it, a buyers market.

We have since shifted course and spent the past few days driving around looking for places advertised for sale so we can approach the sellers directly, cut out the middle man and make a win win deal for both parties. Seemed like a good strategy, but its time consuming.

We are looking to spend max 4.5 million on a detached house in a family friendly location, preferably North Pattaya or Jomtien. If anyone has seen or knows of any stellar deals it would be great if you could let me know. Or if you can share some advice for house hunting that also would be great as kind of a bit lossed at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Steve

4 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

~80% of the market you're looking at have these objects as secondary (or third, and so on) properties. This crisis, contrary to the 2008 crisis, the central banks provided liquidity within weeks. We had no foreclosures either in the US, the EU or parts of Asia. Not only did property prices stay firm in China, Tokyo, San Diego and Stockholm - the liquidity and asset purchases was so severe property prices are far above that of pre-C19. (I'm talking about cities which are the primary cities for capital owners, which Pattaya is not). So, you'll be able to rent for -50% discount, but firesales have been very rare IMO. They simply wait it out (no bank is calling on the door, why sell for a loss?). 

So, to summarize, yes it's a bit cheaper (of course) but the prices does not reflect the severe supply/demand issue. It's outrageously oversupplied (and undermanaged). 

Thais won't undersell as they risk losing "face". There are a few motivated western/overseas sellers in difficulty. T.I.T.. Good luck.

Thanks for the helpful input.  We have contacted some people on the Facebook groups, but most of them seem to be agents and we are really trying to avoid their fees if possible. 

Had a drive around some Moo Bahn's as recommended. Prices still seemed rather high considering the places I looked at all needed quite a bit of work.

Actually I was persuaded by my wife to check out a place run by Supalai housing. As expected rather cookie cutter buildings with not the most space, but everything is quite modern and for the price I think Its not bad value. 

I will stick to the plan of hitting the places direct for the next few days and see if I can strike a deal.

Anything advertised on English media is aimed at farangs and will have farang pricing.

Hopefully your wife can worm her way into some local networks where there may be better bargains. Of course, it may take time. I think your current approach is the correct one, although it could take a few months and a lot of effort.

If you currently do not live in Pattaya, maybe you can find a nice rental property in the location you want. You should rent for 6 months until a good opportunity comes up. If you have cash available, a genuine bargain will should turn up within that 6 month period.

You can also get to know the area to confirm it is where you want to live.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

~80% of the market you're looking at have these objects as secondary (or third, and so on) properties. This crisis, contrary to the 2008 crisis, the central banks provided liquidity within weeks. We had no foreclosures either in the US, the EU or parts of Asia. Not only did property prices stay firm in China, Tokyo, San Diego and Stockholm - the liquidity and asset purchases was so severe property prices are far above that of pre-C19. (I'm talking about cities which are the primary cities for capital owners, which Pattaya is not). So, you'll be able to rent for -50% discount, but firesales have been very rare IMO. They simply wait it out (no bank is calling on the door, why sell for a loss?). 

So, to summarize, yes it's a bit cheaper (of course) but the prices does not reflect the severe supply/demand issue. It's outrageously oversupplied (and undermanaged). 

yep

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dumbfounded said:

I often look thru FB marketplace at Houses/Land for Sale in my area, usually it's the owner needing money. We've just bought 1 rai land with 28 mt frontage on Nan river in Pitsanulok for 1.2 mill works out at 3000b (A$125) per wah (or A$31.25 per sqm). Houses are cheap to build atm too

sounds like a steal, done well there...........................

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have a look over at the darkside, much more choice and popular with expats, also not far away.

Yesterday i passed a house behind Soi Buakhao, you find them in strange places, i also have one outside my Pratumnak condo, check out the streets where you'd prefer to live, you might stumble on something

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 2

Asking prices dont reflect a collapse in the sales foreign owners have paid cash and BKK owners holiday pads with borrowings not selling, heard rumours of a few bargains but there are so many agents around would be on them like a flash

Rentals even with reduced supply are 50% down since covid, but were dropping before covid.

Rents should effect sale price in normal markets.

Edited by tomyami

On 6/8/2021 at 2:54 AM, soi3eddie said:

Thais won't undersell as they risk losing "face". There are a few motivated western/overseas sellers in difficulty. T.I.T.. Good luck.

I tend to agree with your post but you really don't address his question:

" If anyone has seen or knows of any stellar deals it would be great if you could let me know. Or if you can share some advice for house hunting that also would be great as kind of a bit lossed  (sic?) at the moment."

4 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

do you own or rent?

on pratumnak hill or near the russian market?

Own off Pratumnak hill on one of the sois, glad i bought there, still easy to get to town and when it opens i walk to Walking st 

Edited by scubascuba3

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Own off Pratumnak hill on one of the sois, glad i bought there, still easy to get to town and when it opens i walk to Walking st 

do you go down kasetsin rd by the park? ???? 

that's the worst area i have scouted condos at. its an isolated enclave with construction everywhere and you need to taxi out unless your inhuman. the area has a lot of condo listings that look great on a brochure and are really cheap, i checked it out on foot first and did not even bother to see the condo.

are you in that isolated area near the sea and the pattaya sign? or more over by buddha hill where unixx is?

Edited by DerbyDan

45 minutes ago, DerbyDan said:

do you go down kasetsin rd by the park? ???? 

that's the worst area i have scouted condos at. its an isolated enclave with construction everywhere and you need to taxi out unless your inhuman. the area has a lot of condo listings that look great on a brochure and are really cheap, i checked it out on foot first and did not even bother to see the condo.

are you in that isolated area near the sea and the pattaya sign? or more over by buddha hill where unixx is?

kasetsin is a no go zone, wild dogs, probably dingo's too, it's too isolated, no quick access to town. I'm close to Pratumnak hill near the top which means i can walk to Thepraya in 5 minutes and 2nd road 10 minutes so can catch a baht bus, but 99% of the time i use a motorbike or walk. 30 mins walk to walking st. Pratumnak is all about location, you want to be walkable to baht bus in case you need one. Much of Pratumnak is too far

• Like 1

Well having visited quite a few moo bahns and contacting the places directly, it seems the prices are not that different from what the dealers are asking for on the online market places and there are really few bargains to be had as others pointed out. Regularly getting quoted 5 + million baht for run down properties in villages where the only signs of life are the sounds of growling dogs as I meander past. 

Now I am  switching focus to the rental market and trying to get a bargain there instead which seems more promising. Overall, I've never seen Pattaya so dead since I  first traveled here since in 2005. So many boarded up shops and convenience stores, deserted beaches, not even offers for a massage when I walk down the street which is definitely a first!  Had breakfast w/ my family outside of that German bakery opposite Terminal 21 and an old woman was staring at us the whole time. Took me a while to figure out she was waiting for us to leave so she could scavenge for any leftover scraps of food...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/10/2021 at 11:41 AM, mrbojangles said:

Several houses are for sale on our Moo Baan but they aren't advertised or even have an home made sale sign on. We are getting offered deals all the time.

Thailand is light years away from having a buyers' friendly  system of buying houses.

On 6/9/2021 at 11:13 PM, scubascuba3 said:

kasetsin is a no go zone, wild dogs, probably dingo's too, it's too isolated, no quick access to town. I'm close to Pratumnak hill near the top which means i can walk to Thepraya in 5 minutes and 2nd road 10 minutes so can catch a baht bus, but 99% of the time i use a motorbike or walk. 30 mins walk to walking st. Pratumnak is all about location, you want to be walkable to baht bus in case you need one. Much of Pratumnak is too far

are you really happy with a permanent residence in pattaya?

is it somewhere you want to grow old in, or just a vacation property?