Remark on driving license, please translate

I received a new 5 years driving license yesterday. This one doesn't carry my passport number anymore but the number of my pink Thai ID card instead. On the backside it carries a remark as follows (under "Restrictions"):

"กรณีขับรถออกนอกพื้นที่ให้ใช้คู่กับหนังสื่ออนุญาตออกนอกพื้นที่ด้วย"

This is the translation, given by Google: "In the case of driving outside the area, use it together with the movie licensed outside the area", which doesn't make any sense. Can anybody clarify?

My guess is, that outside my home province  I must use it in combination with an ID document with photo ("picture" > "movie"), that is recognized outside the province as well (unlike the pink ID card, which - as far as I know - is only recognized as an ID document in the province where it was issued).   Am I right or does the remark mean something completely different?

44 minutes ago, thecaveman said:

Meanwhile I found another translation, which imo makes more sense. It says "In case of driving outside the area, use it together with the letter of permission to leave the area". That would be about the same as what is mentioned on the back of the pink ID card. 

To my understanding, this means that the driving license ist still valid in all provinces but when travelling in a different province, proof of permission to leave the home province will be required. My passport with my valid "permit of stay" in it should fulfill this requirement.

This is making perfect sense to me. In earlier days the pink ID card was meant as a kind of ID for refugees and migrant workers, who did not have a passport, could not get a "permit of stay"  and where given these cards by the local authorities, grantig them the right to stay and move freely in the specified area only.  These people needed (and probably still need) to have a written permit to leave their home area in order to show proof of being permitted to travel outside their home area (don't know, where such a letter can be obtained from).  When they wanted or want to use their driving license outside their home provinces, they of course needed/need that written permission. 

So to my understanding, our foreign passports with our "permits of stay" should fulfill that requirement as well because this is proof of being permitted to travel freely in all provinces.

That's how I understand it.

I've just run this past my wife and she agreed with what you say. Her niece runs a building materials company and has often employed Laotians to handle deliveries outside the region. She issues a company letter to cover this and there's never been a problem.

Like you say, having one's passport which you should carry when travelling should suffice. I've never had to show my passport, neither has a policeman taken the license out and looked on the back either!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Registered for your vaccine yet ? I received mine yesterday after registering with that ‘useful’ pink ID. 

Driving licence - Didn’t have to make an appointment with Embassy and then pay 5000 baht for 2x Affirmation of Residence documents (one each for motorcycle and driving licences)... 

DLT in Bangkok issued both Driving and Motorcycle licences without issue. 

But... as the Op mentioned, I also have the ‘restrictions’ comment that states ‘if driving outside of the area use the licence with the ‘permission letter’ (or something similar)’....  the passport will suffice if travelling outside of ’the area’....  nothing more to worry about there.... 

That said: I’m sure a few of the usual suspects will soon come along on this thread and start argument the exact semantics of the Thai language and specific documents required.... 

Suffice to stay, if your Pink ID was used as proof of address for your DL then when you are driving outside of your province your passport indicates you have ‘permission to travel’ nationwide and your Driving licence follows that. 

5000 baht for 2  letters of residence? Costs me 200 baht for one from Immigration.

You learn something new and jaw-dropping every day here.

Sounds more like the Soviet Union than the carefree country they plug relentlessly to tourists.

And to think that the road toll and traffic regulations are all but ignored; from the Traffic Police to ten year olds on motorized bikes.

I'll need an extra tranquillizer with my cornflakes to process todays howler.

Edited by chalawaan
  • Like 2

OP, its a case where the DLT presumes Pink ID equals migrant worker, equals travel restrictions. They presume (incorrectly) everyone with a pink card is subject to travel restrictions so they put a restriction on the back of the license. They don't realise that long stay expats, people with PR etc, also have Pink ID and don't have travel restrictions.

Its unfortunate but all to common where local offices misinterpret or make their own rules.

The statement should say something like "if applicable" travel restrictions apply.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

5000 baht for 2  letters of residence? Costs me 200 baht for one from Immigration.

Was that the *express* fee without a recite ?  letters of residence are FREE although some IO you may have to wait a few days. Out of interest why do some need to go to their embassy? I have never needed to.

In English, licence is one word, but in Thai it's a phrase. You have a typo in the second word, and the first word is a homonym for movie, so that's what Google understandably came up with. สื่อ should be สือ, forming หนังสือ to mean book (as in permission book), which may seem strange now because modern licences are neat little cards, but of course the terminology originates a long time ago. หนังสื่อ doesn't mean anything, so หนัง appears to be on its own, where it will be taken to mean movie.

Edited by aboctok

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Was that the *express* fee without a recite ?  letters of residence are FREE although some IO you may have to wait a few days. Out of interest why do some need to go to their embassy? I have never needed to.

They are supposed to be free, but if you want one same day you have to pay, at least in Pattaya. You can argue, see where that gets you.

I have just checked. Mine says the same. Expect it is because the Pink Card is really designed for migrant workers who cannot leave their registered province.

I will have to see if I can get it changed to my passport. As one day no doubt a BIB will spot it at a road block or when pulled over for an indiscretion.