Doctors sound alarm over plan to reopen borders by October

webfact

2 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

We keep hearing the opinions of folks trained as doctors about the response to Covid like it's solely an individual health issue.

But could it maybe be that Covid is actually a mutlifacted big data problem that requires a nuanced response with complex tradeoffs? And perhaps that maximization of lives saved might actually not be the optimal macro response to the pandemic? ????

Yup, anyway, now that’s cleared up, first beers are on me. ????

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, The Cipher said:

Hm. I guess a piece of useful advice would be that while it is definitely a good idea to get vaccinated, there's no point worrying about it or letting it affect you on a day to day basis.

It's easy to forget that "my immune system will handle it" is a valid response for ~99% of people who even catch Covid. There's some degree of risk to living a worthwhile life. Always has been.

Not sure we have a choice,

short of getting on a plane while we can. Soon we won't be able to travel because we're unvaccinated or have the wrong vaccine, or have just one dose.

But thank you for your sage advice. ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, webfact said:

To reopen while knowing that people inside the country have yet to comprehensively receive good vaccines is like climbing a mountain at night without a light

Heck, why beat around the bush, just say that it's utter stupidity and drop the daft metaphors!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

It's easy to forget that "my immune system will handle it" is a valid response for ~99% of people who even catch Covid. There's some degree of risk to living a worthwhile life. Always has been.

I don't like the odds... 1.5-2.5% of those infected in other countries die. Many get something called long Covid... doesn't sound good. And many have unpleasant symptoms ... it nearly killed the UK PM. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

Locals stand a better chance going to Uncle Tu Pu's grandmothers hut and swinging a dead chicken around in the air.

Sundew will tell you, that swinging a live chicken makes a lot of noise, a big mess, and is not recommended.

• Like 1

Just now, poskat said:

there comes a point, which may have already been passed, where keeping out the people who account for at least 20% of the GDP, and the closures of other parts of the economy that people in the lower economic class depend on becomes more important than the number of people who die from covid.

Its all well and good for the educated class and their work from home jobs whose salaries have remained intact, and the covid-associated lockdowns have been at worst an inconvenience, but for people who cant pay for basic life necessities,  the situation is dire and more a matter of life and death than from covid itself.

perhaps the government could spend more time trying to get any vaccine available worldwide in country, rather than limiting them to those that profit them.

thailand being declared open while most of the population remains unvaccinated wont bring in the tourist dollars, pounds, or euros because no tourists will want to come here to be exposed to the dirty potentially virus-infected thai people

I would add though that your description that "no tourists will want to come here to be exposed to the dirty potentially virus-infected thai people" is grossly unfair to most of the Thai people. They do not want to be cast in that light and hate the government  and those that keep them in power for putting them in that position, as the administration  is effectively denying them the passport for a bill of clean health by deliberately ensuring that they will not be vaccinated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichardColeman said:

Really ? I think the odds are mostly with you.

I am not here to discuss my current state of health with you, it is not your business. I said, I do not like the odds.....

• Like 1