Thailand reports 4,059 new COVID-19 cases, 35 more deaths

webfact

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And the new numbers are very disturbing, just a tad under 4k for the general population, add in the 35 deaths, and it is looking like the increase as many of us expected due to the new Delta variant is kicking in.  Be safe folks.  Waiting to see the hospitalized numbers, those in serious condition and how many are on ventilators.  This government needs to be removed and someone needs to kick the Czar in his nutt sack as well as Anutin.  Add in the fact that they are now opening everything up in Phuket to include bars and the selling of Alcohol, which they have critized for spreading the virus, and well......ugh

But military spending and procurement are on target, so where is the problem - -

Oh! Covid, do we have a problem, thought that was all sorted, Anutin- how about a bit more of that  Chinese junk on order in the next week or so, that'll pacify the riff-raff for awhile. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well here we have the first indications since they built the Field Hospitals that the health service is now struggling and we've a long way to go yet before these numbers get under control. Very worrying.

Last time this happened hospitals also stopped testing as there was nowhere to put positive patients, no doubt this will again happen.

So if the hospitals stop testing, will the daily rate start to decline?

Edited by brewsterbudgen

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So if the hospitals stop testing, will the daily rate start to decide?

Who knows but if you take a look at the chart when this happened before in late April early May then that may give some indication?

data june 22 3.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

In terms of vaccine effectiveness against the Beta variant, Dr Supakit said the AstraZeneca vaccine, which is becoming Thailand’s main vaccine, has only a 10.4-per-cent chance to protect against infection from the Beta variant and it cannot prevent severe symptoms.

What's he basing that on. Fear mongering?
The only studies reported are too little to prove anything.

If you want the latest try the following.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health/covid-variant

Is the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine effective against the Beta strain?

A small study of 2,000 people in South Africa has shown that the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine offers minimal protection against mild cases of the Beta variant, but the vaccine is still likely to reduce severe cases and deaths from the strain.

The study, which was based people of an average age of 31, shows that protection may be as low as 10%. The research wasn’t able to determine whether it protects against serious illness or hospitalisation, because this group of people were at low risk of serious illness. Other research suggests that the vaccine is still likely to reduce severe cases and deaths from the B.1.351 strain. More research is needed in this area.

Oxford University is working on adapting the vaccine to ensure that it protects against this variant, as well as other strains. They have said a ‘booster’ jab could be available by autumn 2021. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jojothai said:

What's he basing that on. Fear mongering?
The only studies reported are too little to prove anything.

If you want the latest try the following.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health/covid-variant

Is the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine effective against the Beta strain?

A small study of 2,000 people in South Africa has shown that the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine offers minimal protection against mild cases of the Beta variant, but the vaccine is still likely to reduce severe cases and deaths from the strain.

The study, which was based people of an average age of 31, shows that protection may be as low as 10%. The research wasn’t able to determine whether it protects against serious illness or hospitalisation, because this group of people were at low risk of serious illness. Other research suggests that the vaccine is still likely to reduce severe cases and deaths from the B.1.351 strain. More research is needed in this area.

Oxford University is working on adapting the vaccine to ensure that it protects against this variant, as well as other strains. They have said a ‘booster’ jab could be available by autumn 2021. 

No need to fear monger, genuine need to be very concerned, a 10% protection would not pass any approval by WHO or any country, thats why the original trial was stopped in South Africa, it may well help to stop serious illness but for stopping the spread of Beta its next to useless based on the current limited studies.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

First up agree with you. 

Think most folk that will come will be expats.

Not all expats with wife etc actually live in Thailand. 

This sandbox thing, it's difficult to even know if non O etc will be able to use this 'back door'. Some announcements seem to indicate yes and some no.

If it's a yes then my thinking many of the sandbox numbers will be expats and Thai.

Expats is not what's going to save Thailand.  Tourism is, the kind of tourism that makes thailands economy go.  2 weeks in and out.  Blow a wad of cash.

Nobody is going to Thailand for a vacation in 2021 under these conditions.

Nobody.  

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Artisi said:

But military spending and procurement are on target, so where is the problem - -

Oh! Covid, do we have a problem, thought that was all sorted, Anutin- how about a bit more of that  Chinese junk on order in the next week or so, that'll pacify the riff-raff for awhile. 

Meanwhile...

Thailand’s Ministry of Defense orders an additional Airbus C295 aircraft

and googling the price...

Unit cost28,000,000–28,000,000 USD

Entertainment venue, bar, and nightclub owners and staff protest in Phuket to governor asking to be allowed to open for the “Phuket Sandbox” on July 1st

More than 50 staff and owners who worked at entertainment businesses, bars, and nightclubs massed up to the Phuket Provincial Hall this afternoon with a letter asking the Phuket Governor to partner with the Thai government and allow the reopening of their businesses for the Phuket Sandbox from July First.

More:

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/06/22/entertainment-venue-bar-and-nightclub-owners-and-staff-protest-in-phuket-to-governor-asking-to-be-allowed-to-open-for-the-phuket-sandbox-on-july-1st/

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Further reading from 

BANGKOK, June 22 (TNA) – The Department of Medical Services expressed its concern about available hospital beds for COVID-19 patients in Bangkok, especially seriously ill ones, vacant beds for whom were slightly available.

Dr Somsak Akasilp, director-general of the department, said daily new COVID-19 cases in Greater Bangkok had exceeded 1,000 for over two months and thus their bed demand was rising, especially regarding beds for red-coded patients dependent on ventilators and yellow patients who had moderate symptoms or needed special care.

On June 21, 409 red patients were at public hospitals and about 20 beds were available for people with this degree of illness. Meanwhile, 3,937 patients of the yellow group were at hospitals and only about 300 vacant beds remained available for them.

It’s what happens when the virus isn’t controlled.

The death rate may only be low, as many people keep pointing out, but that low percentage is more than enough to overwhelm hospital capacity if the case numbers are high enough.

5 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

So you do acknowledge that there was a UK house lockdown, other than for essential trips such as buying food? Because that was precisely the point I made.

in fact, it was you who originally posted that a lockdown where people could only leave their houses to buy food could not be done outside China. Others then raised the examples of the UK and Australia,  both of which you pushed back on. In case you forget, you posted this:

By a "complete lockdown", do you mean not allowing anyone in the country to leave their home for any reason except to buy food?  I don't think even Thailand's government could ever pull off or get away with such a Chinese Communist style restriction of people's liberties! 

so the UK situation that I raised, is exactly the situation that you said could not be done outside China. And then you deflected by talking about borders. And then deflected further by talking about the “way it was enforced” and then further deflection by saying that Chinese could not even go to supermarkets to buy food, which was not consistent with your op.

I hate to ask, but are you danderman in disguise? Because you don’t seem capable of acknowledging that someone has made a valid point that disproves your own assertion.

You missed my point. The UK "lockdown" was not enforced in the way that the Chinese one was and to suggest it was similar to the draconian lockdowns imposed in China is nonsense. I still maintain a Chinese style lockdown could not and in my opinion should not be imposed in Thailand.

I don't know Danderman although I admire his tenacity.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You missed my point. The UK "lockdown" was not enforced in the way that the Chinese one was and to suggest it was similar to the draconian lockdowns imposed in China is nonsense. I still maintain a Chinese style lockdown could not and in my opinion should not be imposed in Thailand.

I don't know Danderman although I admire his tenacity.

Ok, let’s go through it again.

this is your original post verbatim.

”By a "complete lockdown", do you mean not allowing anyone in the country to leave their home for any reason except to buy food?  I don't think even Thailand's government could ever pull off or get away with such a Chinese Communist style restriction of people's liberties! “

Show me where it says  anything about enforcement. I responded to this post. Not some other post filled with deflection arguments.

My response to this original post was that the UK had a house lockdown where people could only leave the house for essential reasons like buying food.

Why can’t you simply acknowledge that as a fact?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Ok, let’s go through it again.

this is your original post verbatim.

”By a "complete lockdown", do you mean not allowing anyone in the country to leave their home for any reason except to buy food?  I don't think even Thailand's government could ever pull off or get away with such a Chinese Communist style restriction of people's liberties! “

Show me where it says  anything about enforcement. I responded to this post. Not some other post filled with deflection arguments.

My response to this original post was that the UK had a house lockdown where people could only leave the house for essential reasons like buying food.

Why can’t you simply acknowledge that as a fact?

"I don't think even Thailand's government could ever pull off or get away with such a Chinese Communist style restriction of people's liberties! “

Not allowing people to leave their homes is about enforcement.  The UK government didn't and couldn't restrict people's freedoms in such a way.  Just look at Dominic Cummings!

I hope this clears it up for you.  Sorry for the confusion.  The attached article makes the point I was trying to make better then me.  Hope it helps.

https://time.com/5796425/china-coronavirus-lockdown/

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Sad 2

Reopening of Phuket and Surat Thani to foreign tourists confirmed for July

Tourists will be required to present their Certification of Entry to Thailand, register themselves through http://entrythailand.go.th, and install the “Thailand Plus” and other local apps upon arrival, so that their locations can be tracked.

More:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/reopening-of-phuket-and-surat-thani-to-foreign-tourists-confirmed-for-july/

13 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Reopening of Phuket and Surat Thani to foreign tourists confirmed for July

Tourists will be required to present their Certification of Entry to Thailand, register themselves through http://entrythailand.go.th, and install the “Thailand Plus” and other local apps upon arrival, so that their locations can be tracked.

More:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/reopening-of-phuket-and-surat-thani-to-foreign-tourists-confirmed-for-july/

Who is actually going to bother coming if they need to go,through that rigmarole as well as other things?

If the PM ( Czar ) does a complete 180 degree turn on his vaccine plan, halts Sinovac/AZ, implements warp speed on Moderna, Pfizer, and JJ somehow,  what happens to the queue for expats here hoping for the October - November chance at these jabs, are we pushed further into 2022 for that selection ??  terrible thought.......

1 hour ago, riparian said:

Meanwhile...

Thailand’s Ministry of Defense orders an additional Airbus C295 aircraft

and googling the price...

Unit cost28,000,000–28,000,000 USD

I hope they replace that noisy <deleted> they are using right now! When passenger jets fly close by, I can barely hear them. But this military jet can barely get off the ground, leaves black smoke trails behind, and is so loud it shakes the windows. It is literally louder when just a tiny dot on horizon than a passenger jet flying over my head. Turn that into scrap ASAP and get a new one!

3 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

There are 11 million people in Wuhan. Assuming you are referring to that city, I don’t think it was that easy.

It was easy enough for 1.5 million to fly out on international flights and infect the world

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Do you know anything about diabetes and how one becomes a diabetic, 

Ryan sorry to hear about your problem, many years ago a work colleague was diabetic which he said his doctor attributed to stress. He was very thin, most diabetics I have met since are obese or at least overweight. 

So in answer to the question, no I do not know but I am interested. 

What percentage of diabetics have the problem due to excess weight.? 

Edited by rott

Department Director-General Dr. Somsak Akkasilp, said today (Tuesday) that the number of daily new cases in Bangkok and five nearby provinces has exceeded 1,000 for over two consecutive months, with the likelihood that the number will steadily increase, especially the severe and the moderate cases.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkoks-hospital-bed-availability-of-concern-medical-services-department-says/

23 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Department Director-General Dr. Somsak Akkasilp, said today (Tuesday) that the number of daily new cases in Bangkok and five nearby provinces has exceeded 1,000 for over two consecutive months, with the likelihood that the number will steadily increase, especially the severe and the moderate cases.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkoks-hospital-bed-availability-of-concern-medical-services-department-says/

Yet, lets throw caution to the wind and to hell or high water we will open up the Sandbox in Phuket and the three islands....wonderful plan to assist the coffers and filling up the pockets of business people before the door slams shut permanently on them due to the unforeseen cataclysmic events that are starting to rear their ugly heads called the Delta variant and the Vietnam variant which is now on the move......Vaccinations are far behind where they need to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1