Thailand reports 4,059 new COVID-19 cases, 35 more deaths

webfact

4 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The cabinet has approved the #PhuketSandbox plan for 1st July together with a backup plan in case there is a new outbreak. They also approved the Surat Thani Province plan for Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Koh Tao. Full details soon #PhuketReopening #Thailand

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1407242593721749515

Good luck to all and god speed.  Lets hope this experiment does not go pear shaped rather quickly with the new cases growing.

1 hour ago, itsari said:

The Chinese communist style restrictions did a good job of restricting the amount of deaths to there people from covid 19 .

What ever you think about the Chinese they acted quickly .

Hopefully the Thai government can do the same if the situation becomes worse .

Yes, a complete Chinese-style lockdown will stop the spread.  But at what cost?  Personally, I don't want an already autocratic government to go down an even more dictatorial route, and I'm not even sure the Thai people would accept it!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes, a complete Chinese-style lockdown will stop the spread.  But at what cost?  Personally, I don't want an already autocratic government to go down an even more dictatorial route, and I'm not even sure the Thai people would accept it!

I don't see the Thai government has many options left . Even if you opened all borders to whoever there would be little business from tourism . The covid slow down in Thailand really can not be blamed on the present self appointed government .

All they can do is try and contain the situation as it is now . Which is not that bad at the present time .

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Good luck to all and god speed.  Lets hope this experiment does not go pear shaped rather quickly with the new cases growing.

Is it safer here in Phuket after July 1 or should I head back to BKK ? 

3 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Is it safer here in Phuket after July 1 or should I head back to BKK ? 

You tell me, as I will be in BKK trying my best to avoid mass groups of people here, and I am sure you will be doing the same in Phuket, unless you like to go out and about where groups will be hanging out and drinking.  Just be safe like we are all trying to be.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The UK lockdown was quite strict back in Spring 2020 but not to the same extent as the Chinese version. However, unlike Australia and Thailand, the UK didn't close the borders! 

Well, you have moved away from the original point of contention which was: thailand could not do a house lockdown like the Chinese and no other country has done that.

I pointed out that the UK had a house lockdown in place during spring of this year. Not a “quite strict” lockdown as you nebulously state, but an actual house lockdown where people were only allowed out for essential purposes. Not walks in the park, not visiting family.

then you move on to waffling about borders, which was not the issue to which I was responding.

so, either prove that the UK did not have a house lockdown in the spring, or concede the point and move on and talk about borders and other stuff that you want to talk about.

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

At what cost? Have you checked the Chinese GDP figures recently? Their economy can’t possibly be growing again can it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Holding centres set up in Songkhla for asymptomatic COVID-19 cases as hospitals fill up

Two holding centres have been established in Jana and Ranot districts of Thailand’s southern province of Songkhla, to accommodate asymptomatic COVID-19 patients, as hospitals there are reaching capacity.

According to the disease control operation centre in Jana district, three villages in Ban Na sub-district have been locked down, after more than 100 villagers were found to be infected, with many others deemed to be at high risk and are waiting to be screened. A holding centre has been set up in the grounds of the Nurul Iman masjid, with a capacity to accommodate 80 people.

The other holding centre was set up in Tha Bon sub-district, of Ranot district, to accommodate asymptomatic cases from a canning factory, where 261 workers, out of about 1,000 already screened, have tested positive for the virus. The factory has almost 6,000 workers and many of them travel back and forth from their lodgings to the factory on daily basis.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/holding-centres-set-up-in-songkhla-for-asymptomatic-covid-19-cases-as-hospitals-fill-up/

That’s quite a concerning report. The positivity rates are quite staggering.

2 hours ago, itsari said:

The Chinese communist style restrictions did a good job of restricting the amount of deaths to there people from covid 19 .

What ever you think about the Chinese they acted quickly .

Hopefully the Thai government can do the same if the situation becomes worse .

They did have a very specific place to isolate. Shutting London down would not be so straightforward. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

The cabinet has approved the #PhuketSandbox plan for 1st July together with a backup plan in case there is a new outbreak. They also approved the Surat Thani Province plan for Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Koh Tao. Full details soon #PhuketReopening #Thailand

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/1407242593721749515

The Cabinet on Tuesday approved the reopening of Phuket on July 1 and three islands in Surat Thani on July 15.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002322

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rott said:

They did have a very specific place to isolate. Shutting London down would not be so straightforward. 

There are 11 million people in Wuhan. Assuming you are referring to that city, I don’t think it was that easy.

• Like 2

Bangkok have only 20 beds left for #COVID19 critical patients, Somsak Akksilp, chief of the Department of Medical Services said Tuesday. He said the shortage was the result of the continuous rise in the number of new confirmed cases in the capital over the past two months. #KE

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1407269485170462723

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Well, you have moved away from the original point of contention which was: thailand could not do a house lockdown like the Chinese and no other country has done that.

I pointed out that the UK had a house lockdown in place during spring of this year. Not a “quite strict” lockdown as you nebulously state, but an actual house lockdown where people were only allowed out for essential purposes. Not walks in the park, not visiting family.

then you move on to waffling about borders, which was not the issue to which I was responding.

so, either prove that the UK did not have a house lockdown in the spring, or concede the point and move on and talk about borders and other stuff that you want to talk about.

I was commenting on what other people had posted about Australia and the UK.  I'm well aware of how the UK handled it as I'm British and have a lot of family and friends there.  By not being as strict as the Chinese lockdown, I was referring to the way it was enforced.  People in the UK could still go to work for "essential reasons" and I don't believe that trips to the supermarket to buy food were restricted as they were in some Chinese cities.

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Bangkok have only 20 beds left for #COVID19 critical patients, Somsak Akksilp, chief of the Department of Medical Services said Tuesday. He said the shortage was the result of the continuous rise in the number of new confirmed cases in the capital over the past two months. #KE

Are those the 20 remaining beds in the photo?  I think I'd take my chances.

7 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Just walked back to our condo unit, and the soi we live next to just had two ambulances with everyone on board wearing the full PPE suits and a spray rig following stop and load two patients inside not far away from The corner of Rama 4 here in Sathon.  

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Last time this happened hospitals also stopped testing as there was nowhere to put positive patients, no doubt this will again happen.

Soon officials need finaly take they head out from "sandbox" and isolate people in home!

Or the start to pile cardboardbeds in every street corner!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

They are going to edge their risk to 90 cases per week before pulling the plug. In other words let it spread again nicely first:

"For the past week, new cases in Phuket have only been single digits. Twenty eight in total. If it reaches 90 cases in one week, or multiple clusters, then the #PhuketSandbox could be cancelled or restricted"

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1407214747129323529

2 is a multiple of 1 so 2 clusters and that's it for the sandpit.

• Haha 2