Agreement signed for donation of 1.05m doses of AstraZeneca vaccine by Japan to Thailand

webfact

3 minutes ago, nkg said:

It will make an impact in Thailand

Absoutely, it's 1% of the stated goal (100 MM doses for 50 MM people by 1/1/22). We're at ~ 5.4% today.

Every little bit helps.

Thailand should be out begging for more, IMO.

Even if AZ/SBS hit their target(s), we're still looking at a shortfall as the Moderna, Pfizer and J&J "deals" look suspect.

I think Thai Bev will be first in line for their 70,000 plus doses or more....as an asided I find it odd that a country that prides itself on being self sufficent and often superior to others turns to begging for donations at every turn.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, smedly said:

destined for those that need it or to keep Japanese factories rolling

I know the answer already (IMO)

Does it really matter as long as people are getting vaccinated?  Factories are one of the main sources of clusters so even if that were true it would also make sense.

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

It may be the issue is not producing sufficient AZ but to whom it will be sent.

Nov. 2020:

https://abc27.com/news/health/thailand-sells-supply-deals-for-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine/

But now seems corporate uncertainty as to its foreign/domestic distribution plans:

June 2021:

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/first-astrazeneca-vaccine-exports-thailand-philippines-delayed-govt-advisor-2021-06-01/

So 5 million doses coming in from Japan while 15 million are going out to Philippines?  ???? 

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The U.S. never approved it and has been giving away 60 million doses.

Probably part of the freebies from the U.S.

Nice of Japan to share it.

US don’t see the need to approve AZ because the manufacturing of Pfizer, Moderna and JJ vaccines domestically are more than enough to meet domestic consumption. 

• Like 1

im not a japan fan but they should be congratulated for this,the AZ vacc is a good one,beats the hell outta jello.theyve some here already and they are on to the sleaze here in stating they gotta know who gets it.its here right now as the shelf lifes limited and itll be useless and  a waste soon ,this works for everyone.what of bio science and the 10 mill a mnth deal  ha ha ha ha

3 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

So far, private hospitals haven’t received a single vial of vaccine, free or otherwise. I don’t think they will be just handed this small amount.

Strange because MedPark a private hospital are vaccinating people.

1 hour ago, IraqRon said:

I think Thai Bev will be first in line for their 70,000 plus doses or more....as an asided I find it odd that a country that prides itself on being self sufficent and often superior to others turns to begging for donations at every turn.

I think you've got it almost exactly wrong? Thailand isn't begging for donations at every turn. I wish that it would.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Of course they did they are part of the government roll out the same as other private hospitals, if you booked on mor prom app you could have selected it for free vaccinations if in Bkk. Odd that Thailand are accepting charity AZ, while at the same time they are meant to be producing their own in large enough amounts to to sell to other countries 

It's not Thailand but Siam Bioscience that is producing the vaccine for Astra Zeneca.  SB has contractual obligations to AZ that it has to fulfill. It's Astra Zeneca, not Thailand, that is sending the vaccines abroad.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It's not Thailand but Siam Bioscience that is producing the vaccine for Astra Zeneca.  SB has contractual obligations to AZ that it has to fulfill. It's Astra Zeneca, not Thailand, that is sending the vaccines abroad.

Hair splitting, SBC is a Thai company owned by the head of state. How much more Thai can they be?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

I didn’t know that. Thanks for the info. ????

Fang District Hospital has also been using AZ for the over 60's ( Thais and foreigners ). Unfortunately they have run out of vaccine and my appointment for this weekend has been postponed until further supplies are received.

14 minutes ago, clivebaxter said:

Hair splitting, SBC is a Thai company owned by the head of state. How much more Thai can they be?

Because it's a private company that has a contract with Astra Zeneca. Neither SM nor the Thai govt is exporting vaccines to the Phillipines or anywhere else. Astra Zeneca is doing the exporting.

21 minutes ago, Katipo said:

Being donated the very vaccines that Thailand is meant to be the regional supplier of. #shame

As I've repeatedly pointed out to no avail, Siam Bioscience has a contract to supply the vaccine to Astra Zeneca. Astra Zeneca exports the vaccine, not Thailand, and not Siam Bioscience.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

As I've repeatedly pointed out to no avail, Siam Bioscience has a contract to supply the vaccine to Astra Zeneca. Astra Zeneca exports the vaccine, not Thailand, and not Siam Bioscience.

And AstraZeneca sells vaccines to Thailand, maybe the GPO, at ~ 200 baht/dose (budget approved, could be lower, could be higher, I'd imagine)

It seems like the contract is flexible. Vaccines sold to Thailand can be produced anywhere, including Thailand.

But the blurring of AZ, SBS, GPO and the "government" is not unexpected given the obfuscation exercised by all those parties.

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

And AstraZeneca sells vaccines to Thailand, maybe the GPO, at ~ 200 baht/dose (budget approved, could be lower, could be higher, I'd imagine)

It seems like the contract is flexible. Vaccines sold to Thailand can be produced anywhere, including Thailand.

But the blurring of AZ, SBS, GPO and the "government" is not unexpected given the obfuscation exercised by all those parties.

I think you're combinging into one 2 different things.

Astra Zeneca has a contract to supply Thailand with x doses of vaccine. Siam Bioscience has a contract to supply Astra zeneca with x doses of vaccine.

If Astra Zeneca chooses, it could modify SB's contractual obligations. Keep in mind that AZ supplies the substances that SB turns into doses of vaccine. SB doesn't have a lot of leverage here.

3 hours ago, clivebaxter said:

Placeholder is right. It is like any other product. For example, harddrives are assembled in factories in Thailand for WD or Seagate under contract, using materials supplied by the firms, and sent to wherever the contract specifies. If Thailand had a harddrive shortage, they can't just seize the goods for themselves.