Phuket Sandbox rules tweaked

webfact

7 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I don't think i've ever had drink from a toilet bowl, why on earth would you?

Strange...

why would you ever open your mouth while swimming in the sea in Thailand?

• Confused 1

No thanks. Will wait it out until some sense of travel normality happens in the future. 

With this July 1st experiment I can already sense zero fun. You will be told to do this do that, sit here sit there. Behave, be good. Sit! Paw!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, skatewash said:

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002558

In alphabetical order:

1. Albania
2. Andorra
3. Antigua and Barbuda
4. Australia
5. Austria
6. Azerbaijan
7. Bahrain
8. Barbados
9. Belgium
10. Bhutan
11. Brunei
12. Bulgaria
13. Cambodia
14. Canada
15. Chile
16. China
17. Croatia
18. Cyprus
19. Czech Republic
20. Denmark
21. Dominica
22. Estonia
23. Finland
24. France
25. Germany
26. Greece
27. Hungary
28. Iceland
29. Ireland
30. Israel
31. Italy
32. Kuwait
33. Laos
34. Latvia
35. Lithuania
36. Luxembourg
37. Malta
38. Mauritius
39. Monaco
40. Morocco
41. Myanmar
42. The Netherlands
43. New Zealand
44. Norway
45. Poland
46. Portugal
47. Qatar
48. Romania
49. Russia
50. San Marino
51. Serbia
52. Singapore
53. Slovakia
54. Slovenia
55. South Korea
56. Spain
57. Sweden
58. Switzerland
59. Turkey
60. United Arab Emirates
61. United Kingdom
62. United States
63. Vietnam
and 3 territories
1. Hong Kong
2. Macau
3. Taiwan

Why am I dreaming that there might be other places I would rather be.

http://ayay.co.uk/backgrounds/nature/oceans/Dreaming-Of-Paradise.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

The provision makes perfect sense.

You can leave the hotel and roam the island but your residence for the first 14 days would be the government approved hotel. Even if you have a home in Phuket you can not stay there the first 14 days because it is not a government approved facility adhering to the provisions of the sandbox program. 

unless of course, you select a hotel extremely close to your home, something which I know someone has done, intention is 1 night in the hotel then maybe return to check out, but all that proves is that 100% of the people I know who are returning to Phuket are not actually real tourists, but of course he will become a tourist number in the deluded scheme as I am sure most are. The only honest number from the sandbox tourist debacle will be the number of round trip flights, that would be interesting to see ????

The authorities want it both ways. Lots of tourists and no Covid.

It is far better to be able to call the "sandbox model" a failure, one can blame it on Covid in other countries, than call the entry requirements a failure if Covid does increase in Phuket. For that, they can be held personally to blame and lose face.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, RickSee said:

Has anyone out there successfully booked a flight to the sandbox with a transfer in BKK?  If this is possible it might save some cash as those flights (eg. Emirate, Qatar ...) that fly directly to Phuket from abroad seem somewhat more costly than those connecting in BKK, especially if a multi-stop ticket is required (eg. Europe-Phuket-BKK-Europe).

thanks, RS

Still no published details about transfer in BKK to domestical flights to Phuket. Even when it has already been approved and published in Royal Gazette, details still to be published in future.

Anyway, I don't find that fly directly to Phuket from abroad seem somewhat more costly than those connecting in BKK. Actually I already booked in Turkish Airways IST-HKT and BKK-IST at nearly the same price than return ticket IST-BKK.

And I save money of domestic flight BKK-HKT and also paying extra luggage, because luggage is not included in cheap domestic flights.

Edited by Espanol
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Rhacsyn said:

COE application was almost the same as ASQ COE application. I had all my paperwork ready, dealt directly with the hotel and paid the 8,000 Baht for the 3 Covid test whilst booking. Got a receipt and confirmation for that. Total time for COE receipt from start to finish was one and half days

I'm still in first stage of aplying for COE. I sent all documents needed for it (passport, insurance and vacination certificate) 3 days ago and I'm still waiting.

https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/regis/step?language=en

Edited by Espanol
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

It offers a much better alternative to those of us that come and go frequently, that's not open for debate.

What's not normal about it, pls tell. The only thing i see is you get your nose / throat raped 3 times, it's a great time to visit the beaches of thailand, cleanest they've been for decades and the water. hardly anyone about, what's not to like?

Indeed It offers a much better alternative to people in urgent need to travel to Thailand than ASQ hotels in BKK. But not mi idea of a holidays.

Most expats and Thais returning to Thailand will choose this better option, indeed, but I don't think that tourist are now in line to go trough all that expensive and dalily changing mess, when they can travel with no requirements at all to Dominican Republic, Mexico, Spain or Greece. Unless they really need to go to Thailand for some reason.

Edited by Espanol
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Espanol said:

https://thaiest.com/blog/phuket-sandbox-thailand-without-quarantine

"Thais and foreigners traveling from the low or medium risk countries can join Phuket Sandbox"

Where is it stated in the official regulations?

We get enough misinformation and varied interpretation on visas to last a lifetime.
The government may be deliberately keeping this a grey area so they can claim numbers of tourists when in fact they may allow in long term visa holders.
Will they not be counting all under phuket sandbox as "tourists" including returning Thais?
People can believe what they want and take their chance. No objection. 

Edited by jojothai
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Espanol said:

Indeed It offers a much better alternative to people in urgent need to travel to Thailand than ASQ hotels in BKK. But not mi idea of a holidays.

Most expats and Thais returning to Thailand will choose this better option, indeed, but I don't think that tourist are now in line to go trough all that expensive and dalily changing mess, when they can travel with no requirements at all to Dominican Republic, Mexico, Spain or Greece. Unless they really need to go to Thailand for some reason.

I agree it's probably not a good idea to go straight away till the iron it all out properly.

• Like 2

Considering that only fully 2 shot vaccinated people can come to Thailand, there are a lot of countries on

that list, where only the rich and fortunate have had their 2 shots. Australia is one example of a country with 

a small amount of their population fully vaccinated. If many more of the countries on that list are the same

then the amount of people who actually can travel abroad is still fairly limited.  Maybe the chances of 2022 and

2023 are more likely for a return of tourists.

Geezer

8 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Considering that only fully 2 shot vaccinated people can come to Thailand, there are a lot of countries on

that list, where only the rich and fortunate have had their 2 shots. Australia is one example of a country with 

a small amount of their population fully vaccinated. If many more of the countries on that list are the same

then the amount of people who actually can travel abroad is still fairly limited.  Maybe the chances of 2022 and

2023 are more likely for a return of tourists.

Geezer

Countries allowed to enter Thailand in the Phuket Sandbox (Name, Population, Population Rank in the World):

Canada 38,067,903 #38
China 1,439,323,776 #1
France 65,426,179 #22
Germany 83,900,473 #19
Italy 60,367,477 #24
Morocco 37,344,795 #40
Myanmar 54,806,012 #27
Poland 37,797,005 #37
Russia 145,912,025 #9
South Korea 51,305,186 #28
Spain 46,745,216 #31
Turkey 85,042,738 #17
United Kingdom 68,207,116 #21
United States 331,002,651 #3
Vietnam 98,168,833 #15

Two largest sources of tourism for Phuket:
China
Russia

Skatewash, thanks for supplying the populations of the countries, but some of these

countries like China, and Australia are not letting their people travel for pleasure outside

of their countries yet.  I stated that only the lucky people with their 2 jabs of vaccines may

be able to travel. There is a lot of people in lots of countries who have only had 1 jab so far, and then there are those who

will not vaccinate, but will still try to travel abroad, hopefully to fail completely.   So having the population numbers of

a country is fine, but consider the amount of people who are fully vaccinated.  That is the big difference.

Geezer

8 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Skatewash, thanks for supplying the populations of the countries, but some of these

countries like China, and Australia are not letting their people travel for pleasure outside

of their countries yet.  I stated that only the lucky people with their 2 jabs of vaccines may

be able to travel. There is a lot of people in lots of countries who have only had 1 jab so far, and then there are those who

will not vaccinate, but will still try to travel abroad, hopefully to fail completely.   So having the population numbers of

a country is fine, but consider the amount of people who are fully vaccinated.  That is the big difference.

Geezer

The number of people who are fully vaccinated and live in the countries allowed to participate in the Phuket Sandbox (and not including China and Australia) is 355.61 million.

In some of those countries vaccines are not only available to the rich or the fortunate:  for example, the UK and the US which account for 190 million of the 344.61 million.