Thailand buys 5 million doses of Moderna coronavirus vaccine

snoop1130

13 hours ago, fangless said:

Why?

This should be for the benefit of the general public and supplied by the Government at no cost to the public

What the "$£$$%" has private hospitals got to do with this?

Money. Envelopes. That's what all the delays are about.

Why can't expats even register for a vaccine ? Because they want us to go private and pay.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Why don't you let us buy our own vaccines, the USA has plenty of surplus vaccines.

which is part of the cause for lack of vaccines here and in other places...the UK has massively over ordered too, and...and...

• Confused 1

Headline states Thailand buys 5 million Moderna, which is a bs headline as they have not actually purchased just talking about, that’s why Thailand is a mess and their vaccination program is a disaster???????????? All talk no action, no longer the Land of Smiles, more like Land of False Promise????????????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Uroller said:

Headline states Thailand buys 5 million Moderna, which is a bs headline as they have not actually purchased just talking about, that’s why Thailand is a mess and their vaccination program is a disaster???????????? All talk no action, no longer the Land of Smiles, more like Land of False Promise????????????

Maybe they want it for free?  How in keeping with the usual!

39 minutes ago, aussienam said:

From watching recent overseas news reports, the Sinovac vaccine appears to have no efficacy against the Deltra strain of COVID.  That is, Sinovac appears to be useless against the Delta variant. 

And this Delta variant is set to become the dominant strain.  It has the ability to attach to lung tissue much easier than other strains. 

In a small room, other COVID strains infect on average two other people, but the Delta variant will infect six.

Countries that had achieved near 100% vaccination of their population with Sinovac are now falling ill and people dying from the new Delta variant.  

Thankfully, Astra Zeneca is proving effective against it as well as other better COVID vaccines.  

I truly feel for the Thai people, especially the poorer classes of people who have no other choice but to take Sinovac.  Whereas, the elite and wealthier classes of people can opt for the better vaccines.  Seems very unfair. Money talks. The poor suffer and die.

The saving grace is that at least those with Sinovac vaccination can later get a booster shot with an alternative vaccine.  

The problem is, by the time Thailand receives the Moderna or other vaccine alternatives to Sinovac, it will be too late.  

And its Sinovac that was used in Phuket and they are opening Phuket!

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

in the majority absent in any significant effort to display genuine  humanitarian assistance?

No, they are not! Licenses were given to countries who were expected to meet GMP practice. 

But to manufacture a vaccine is not an easy thing like beaking a bread. 

As you know the King's lab tried this business. However, where are the urgently neeeded Astra Zeneca vaccine? Never heard again.

Also the WHO collected billions of dollars to supply vaccines to poorer countries. 

16 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

THey buy again?? how many times have they bought already and everytime the timeline changing. But from the 1st of July we are asked to register and pay in advance.... I don't think so.. Now October has changed again???

They aren't buying it, they have PLACED orders for it. it should arrive the end or the beginning of the year.

5 hours ago, Presnock said:

In addition to that 30 million USD given to the Thai govt, the US promised easy access to the vaccines this is what I read anyway so where is the problem..I think it is getting easier to see.

The easy access of obtaining vaccine must be through the W.H.O. distribution program ( forgot name ) which they decline to join since it didn't provide them any benefits they are paying for it now one reason the U.S. gave them money as always without a string attached that is our diplomacy policy to ask the government here please treat our citizen kindly.????????????????

16 hours ago, fangless said:

Why?

This should be for the benefit of the general public and supplied by the Government at no cost to the public

What the "$£$$%" has private hospitals got to do with this?

If you read the article it states 4m Moderna towards the end of the year and a further 1m early next year for Private Hospitals.

Why should they be excluded from supplying the Covid vaccines as they have been supplying other vaccines for years.

Unfortunately they cannot obtain them directly only through the government.

If I choose to use the private hospital system and pay that is my prerogative, but then again I don’t  suffer from Welfare State Syndrome.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AquaThai said:

And its Sinovac that was used in Phuket and they are opening Phuket!

What you are saying about poorer people not having access to better vaccines isn’t completely true.

In the main those over sixty receive the AstraZeneca.

I received mine last week along with my wife’s uncle and he certainly isn’t wealthy.

On that day I was the only non Thai out of about 200 people most of whom arrived on foot, by bicycle or motorbike again hardly wealthy.

1 minute ago, StevieAus said:

What you are saying about poorer people not having access to better vaccines isn’t completely true.

I received mine last week along with my wife’s uncle and he certainly isn’t wealthy.

On that day I was the only non Thai out of about 200 people most of whom arrived on foot, by bicycle or motorbike again hardly wealthy.

The above attached to the wrong post I was responding to Aussienam

17 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

What I've been saying for a while they use the words "Bought" & "Procured" consistently both of which implies "Ordered & Received", while in fact they have only requested delivery of at some later date, with maybe a down payment to reserve.

Yes agree, if you add up all those orders there will nearly be enough to vaccinate everyone once, unfortunately they have only just ordered them now--instead of last year.

What I can not understand is the Laboratory in BKK banging out the AZ vaccine stated that in can turn out millions but they have orders overseas for a large portion of them. Why doesn't the government insist that it stays here---thats whet the EU block did to Thailand's order from Italy.

Edited by sanuk711

49 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

One of how many. Skewed ratio

50 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I wrote and its Sinovac...  a short sentence.   I said nothing  about wealth or poor.  You wrote a book compared to my one sentence.   Where did I discuss rich or poor?

Too little too late !!!

The Government & Siam Bio Science have let the people of Thailand down through nepotism, greed, corruption & this "total control of vaccine syndrome .

They had been so far ahead of the UK & USA until complacency took over

18 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Why have they been waiting so long when people have been dying every day?

Albert Einstein once said that there are only two things infinite, "the universe and human stupidity". I'm not so sure about the universe... 

I hope they are using the 68 million baht the Australian Government gave them to help fight the virus.Good to give it to them as they dont give a rats bum about us expats .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Many of the hospital networks pedaling Moderna have said they are over-subscribed.

That was based on free, no committment registrations, basically expressing interest. Obviously many people registered with mutliple hospitals.

Now they are winnowing that down to real, paying customers by getting them to fork over enough cash to cover their costs to actually throw into the GPO trough.

Once the trough is full the GPO will place an order with Zuellig, after taking their "commission".

There will be blood.

If want a real Mrna vaccine in Thailand you need to pay.

It's pricey but this could be a life or death decision.  

Roughly 8,000 for my wife and is well worth it.  

apparently a lot of people are very pi**ed off with the govt over them not allowing private hospitals to organize their own import of the vaccines, really looks like the controlling may be for personal gains  as there is no logical reason to stop the hospitals organizing it for themselves. It has slowed the import of the vaccines a hell of a lot, really have to wonder why it has happened and what the govt is up to apart from feathering their own nests

Edited by seajae
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, AquaThai said:

I wrote and its Sinovac...  a short sentence.   I said nothing  about wealth or poor.  You wrote a book compared to my one sentence.   Where did I discuss rich or poor?

If you read the comment immediately after the post I explained that for some reason my comments attached to the wrong post it wasn’t intended for you.

Bad news on the vaccine front, very bad news...

GPO says both the Pfizer and Moderna orders are stuck with the AG since May, but AG says they have not received any paperwork for review. 

Meanwhile AG approves Sinovac deals in one day.

THG Chairman has contacted Moderna, and PFizer, told by them that the government has not taken any action. Now anutin says it's up to hospitals to order directly? Very confusing.

From Director of National Vaccine Institute: AstraZeneca has informed it will NOT be able to deliver 10 million doses per month to Thailand for July and August. SBS production capacity of AZ is 16 million per month and just 5-6 million doses will go to Thailand.

You can have any vaccine you want as long as it is from China.

• Like 1

The country is descending into total chaos. The Phuket concentration camp will close within days, the Delta variant is already spreading across the nation, the vaccination programme is in meltdown, the hospital system will enter total breakdown within the month and we will all be left to fend for ourselves. And the Covid Czar will ignore all this and compose another song to bring happiness to the people.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 8:57 AM, newnative said:

Just more slow, slow, slow feet dragging.  Another useless statement thrown out to make it look like they are doing something.  I've lost count on how many of these we have had.  We're buying this.  We've ordered that.  We're procuring this.  We're in the process of getting that.  And, as usual,  total vagueness as to when they will arrive--but always sometime later in the year--or next year.   Meanwhile, nothing NOW.  5 million doses is peanuts, by the way.  

Meanwhile endless HEADLINES about Phuket Sandbox foreigners "pouring in" = about 1500 ahh good luck to Phuket, BUT the rest of Thailand is going broke, getting sick average 5/6,000 per day, 30 to 60 dead daily/the Sandbox media CON JOB is not fooling even the lifelong indoctrinated folks.

In 2020 = about 90 dead. Mr P & A you have way more than enough $$$ but the darn vaxs, allow the FDA approved VAXs to be airlifted into the country. I for one, would gladly pay for 10 poor thais to be vaccinated, I think many of my white devil ex pats people may well "do the same". 

Giddy up! 

• Like 2