Will they understand that I am not a tourist in Phuket?

Are there any problems to be expected when I go on vacation to Phuket as a Thailand expat (not having left the country for more than 5 years)? Specifically, will I be mistaken for a "tourist" and will I be required to meet the appropriate sandbox criteria?

I can understand why the OP is nervous if he's hopping on a connecting flight from BKK that may mingle local passengers with international passengers transiting BKK. 

Or if, like me, he doesn't even know if it's a possibility he'd get caught up in that. 

My disaster scenario would be innocently booking a flight from BKK-HKT and finding out it's the extension of a flight from (for example) Dubai.  Would I get whisked off to an SHA+ hotel on arrival in HKT?  Or are they even allowing local passengers to get on those flight extensions to Phuket?

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, impulse said:

I can understand why the OP is nervous if he's hopping on a connecting flight from BKK that may mingle local passengers with international passengers transiting BKK. 

Or if, like me, he doesn't even know if it's a possibility he'd get caught up in that. 

My disaster scenario would be innocently booking a flight from BKK-HKT and finding out it's the extension of a flight from (for example) Dubai.  Would I get whisked off to an SHA+ hotel on arrival in HKT?  Or are they even allowing local passengers to get on those flight extensions to Phuket?

There are plenty of expats in Phuket and plenty who visit from other parts of Thailand so I'm sure your fears will be unfounded. I can't see how it's at all possible to accidentally book flight which is an extension of a flight from Dubai but if you're really worried about it just book with AirAsia or Nok.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, stretch5163 said:

Not being funny but did you read what you wrote before hitting send.

You are still going on vacation...you will still be entering phuket so you will still have to follow the rules.  You will atill be classed as a toursit due to the fact you are not Thai. Even if you were thai you would still have to follow the sandbox rules if coming from anywhere outside Phuket.

Because you have been an Ex pat in thailand for 5 years deosnt give you any sepcial privileges.

Not quite correct.

sandbox rules do not apply.

you will need 1 dose of az, or 2 doses of sinovax, or, a negative test within 72 hours, or quarantine at a hotel/house in Phuket for 14 days.

none of the sandbox stuff applies.

• Thanks 2

To put your mind at rest with regard to accidental mixing of international and domestic air travelers on the Bangkok - Phuket route:

1) There will be no international travelers on airplanes going from Bangkok to Phuket because all participants in the Phuket Sandbox have to arrive in Thailand in Phuket (arrival in Bangkok is not allowed if you expect to participate in the Phuket Sandbox).

2) The only flights going from Bangkok to Phuket are domestic flights.  The passengers on these flights have either been vaccinated, received a negative covid test within 7 days of departure or have recovered from covid and have a doctor's certificate to prove it.

• Like 2

Look at it this way.  For the most part international arrivals can do everything you as a domestic arrival can (except for needing to stay in SHA Plus hotels).  The only difference is that as a domestic arrival you can leave Phuket and go elsewhere whenever you want to.  While international arrivals need to prove that they have complied with the Phuket Sandbox rules, have stayed 14 days in Phuket in a SHA Plus hotel, have taken and passed 3 RT-PCR tests.

So it's only really an issue when you want to leave Phuket (airport or ground).  If you're a domestic arrival all you need to prove is that you're not an international arrival (part of the Phuket Sandbox).  How you do that is explained above, but basically you show your entry stamp in your passport.  If you're an international arrival it's more work as you have to prove you've complied with all the Phuket Sandbox rules.  The only places you will likely need to prove you are international or domestic is when you leave Phuket at the airport or at the Tha ChatChai checkpoint before crossing the bridge to Phang Nga.  I don't think it will come up in any other context.

Edited by skatewash

You will also need to prove you are not a Phuket Sandboxer (international arrival) if you want to go on an off-island excursion during which you will visit other provinces (e.g., Phi Phi islands).  Again, done the same way by referencing your arrival stamp in your passport.

9 hours ago, impulse said:

It is impossible for that to happen. International passengers cannot transit to a domestic flight now.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, stretch5163 said:

Not being funny but did you read what you wrote before hitting send.

You are still going on vacation...you will still be entering phuket so you will still have to follow the rules.  You will atill be classed as a toursit due to the fact you are not Thai. Even if you were thai you would still have to follow the sandbox rules if coming from anywhere outside Phuket.

Because you have been an Ex pat in thailand for 5 years deosnt give you any sepcial privileges.

Plenty of other locations in Thailand for a vacation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

there is a similar post on the website about somebody that just flew from BKK to Udon but got dragged off to isolation and cheap free quarantine,  No money  or chose not to ASQ and was not expecting to.  He was an expat teacher or something or other.  So some weird and un expected travel things may happen.

I read the same story

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

So as an expat living in Thailand you can not book any flight or hotel to Phuket until you are sure your 7 day Covid test is negative.

Any person in Thailand, including Thais and expats, has to receive a negative covid test result within 7 days before being allowed to enter Phuket.  You can book whatever flight or hotel in Phuket you want but if you can't show a negative covid test result you won't be able to board your plane to Phuket or to cross at the Tha ChatChai checkpoint by land into Phuket.  Actually, I don't know that it's much of an advantage to book a flight from Bangkok to Phuket more than 7 days in advance.  You can book accommodations in Phuket on agoda or booking.com that you are able to cancel.

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
23 hours ago, impulse said:

It is impossible for that to happen. International passengers cannot transit to a domestic flight now.

That's good info, and makes sense.  It should reduce the number of things that could go sideways.

On a related note, does that also mean all Sandbox tourists will fly direct to HKT, or will there be some flights landing in BKK first, unloading some BKK passengers, with the rest then continuing onto Phuket without deplaning in BKK?

Edit:  skatewash's info seems to indicate "no".  No international flights from BKK to HKT.  But I can imagine the airlines wanting to fill more seats than a non-stop HKT flight may fill.  I could also envision a dedicated "Sandbox Transit Lounge" set up in BKK some time in the near future to make it more economical to service the HKT route.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Anyone travelling to Phuket for vacation would be classified as a tourist. In your case its "domestic tourist" rather than "international tourist". If you don't reside in Phuket and are not travelling there for work then you are by definition arriving as a tourist.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 5:37 PM, Sam B said:

Are there any problems to be expected when I go on vacation to Phuket as a Thailand expat (not having left the country for more than 5 years)? Specifically, will I be mistaken for a "tourist" and will I be required to meet the appropriate sandbox criteria?

Sounds like you actually are a tourist.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Anyone travelling to Phuket for vacation would be classified as a tourist. In your case its "domestic tourist" rather than "international tourist". If you don't reside in Phuket and are not travelling there for work then you are by definition arriving as a tourist.

That makes me also a tourist when I go from Jomtien to Pattaya. 555555

28 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Sounds like you actually are a tourist.

The term is quite wide ranging with the significant differentiation being international or domestic.

When I went up to Kao Koh last September under WTT the place was awash with tour buses, but as far as this forum was concerned there were no tourists in Thailand.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 5:50 PM, ubonjoe said:

Not if he is already in Thailand.

He would though have to have a negative covid 19 test or proof of being vaccinated to enter Phuket at the bridge or airport.

Thanks that helps.

On 7/3/2021 at 3:23 PM, impulse said:

My disaster scenario would be innocently booking a flight from BKK-HKT and finding out it's the extension of a flight from (for example) Dubai.

The flights from Dubai (also Doha and Abu Dhabi) are stopping at Phuket first then going on to Bangkok.