Op-Ed: US underrates Thailand’s efforts in TIP Report

webfact

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha made combating human trafficking a national agenda after taking over the country’s leadership. 

Now we know for a fact that this Gov has done nothing.  Whatever Prayut says is the opposite of what happens in this Gov.  One need only look at the tepid response to workers leaking over the borders during Covid-19 borders closed.  Only 1 person was found in corruption for bringing over workers.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that they did very little about human trafficking until they found that mass grave down South in 2015?

There were 100 people brought to trial; politicians, police officers and military all accused of being involved. 

They ended up prosecuting and jailing Lt. General Manas Kongpan who was one of the ringleaders and recently died in prison.

Further reading here: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40652012

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Like 2

"We only threw 40 migrant workers overboard last year. In previous years this figure was much higher."

Hoenstly, if they spent half the effort they spend denying the barbaric conditions they might have improved the conditions. Plenty of Thai people unemployed, maybe put them to work? (rhetorical) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I was under the impression that they did very little about human trafficking until they found that mass grave down South in 2015?

There were 100 people brought to trial; politicians, police officers and military all accused of being involved. 

They ended up prosecuting and jailing Lt. General Manas Kongpan who was one of the ringleaders and recently died in prison.

Further reading here: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40652012

'found that mass grave" 

Extent of human trafficking was further uncovered as I recall by Reuters who had pictures of Manas with trafficked migrants with extensive investigative articles and republished by 2 Thai Reuter reporters. The military subsequently brought suit against the 2 reporters for defamation - eventually withdrawn. So it would seem that there was a lot of international pressure on Prayut to take action against the military traffickers.

As I recall Manas was a Colonel at the time of Reuter's investigation. So by the time of his arrest, he advanced to Lt. Gen. and a member of PM Prayut's advisory staff (NCPO?). 

• Like 1

To be fair, it is an American ranking and I doubt Thailand can change how they create the ranking. Perhaps find an international ranking that looks better? Is that even possible?

The Govt cannot be to blame for creating this problem (it has been going on forever) and is faced with numerous problems today. Huge companies like CP make millions from cheap labour but I can't imagine the govt crippling them with billion baht fines at a time where people need even a low paying wage. 

• Like 1

I think that the U.S. probably doesn't really care about the reality of Thailand's human trafficking. It's used as a way to manipulate Thailand. If Thailand does more to distance itself from China, or if groups/political parties backed by the U.S.'s NED gain power through elections, pressure, or protests, then the U.S. and other U.S.-backed human rights groups will suddenly find improvement in the human trafficking situation here. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha made combating human trafficking a national agenda after taking over the country’s leadership.

If it wasn't such a sad issue I could hardly stop laughing reading nonsense like that.

9 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

2 watchlist from tier 2

i think the meaning is the same as :  you're doing a really bad job..... as opposed to you're doing a normal bad job