Thailand reports 6,166 new COVID-19 cases, 50 more deaths

webfact

3 minutes ago, anchadian said:
Thailand’s Department of Disease Control (DDC) has noted that the COVID-19 situation has been aggravated by viral mutations since April, with the spread of the Delta variant.

DDC deputy director-general Dr. Sophon Iamsirsithavorn said, although the initial outbreak was in the Bangkok area, it has spread to the capital’s perimeter and in crowded places, such as factories. The infection has entered communities and more households.

He said the main measures, which can help contain the outbreak, are to reduce mobility, reduce travel and reduce the risk of getting infected in workplaces. Other measures include not eating at food outlets.

Dr. Sophon added that an order will be placed for 20 million doses of the Pfizer vaccine, in addition to procurement of Sinovac and AstraZeneca. It’s necessary to negotiate a faster pace of delivery, as the company says the vaccine will be delivered around the fourth quarter of this year.

Who to believe on these vaccine orders.

Samut Sakhon Governor Veerasak Vichitsangsri has threatened to ask authorities to close down all private hospitals in the province, after they refused to prove free COVID-19 tests, claiming that they do not have empty beds to accommodate those whom the tests show to be infected.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1222884-samut-sakhon-governor-threatens-to-close-private-hospitals-over-no-covid-testing-policy/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Schools closing, PM self isolating due to Covid exposure, I’d say things are moving along really nicely on day 5.

it all goes to show just how tenuous the whole sandbox concept is. It’s built on quicksand.

I wonder if the pm self isolating makes the international news?

Some how I don't think this was an accident.If the situation keeps deteriorating expect the Nutjob to follow shortly.Possibly followed by an outbreak in the rest of the Grubbyment. 

Edited by FarFlungFalang

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Samut Sakhon governor threatens to close private hospitals over no COVID testing policy

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/samut-sakhon-governor-threatens-to-close-private-hospitals-for-refusing-to-provide-free-covid-testing/

"When the concrete and clay beneath my feet begin to crumble" Mental As Anything.

57 minutes ago, morrobay said:

You can see how doubling time is related to the R0: k = ln2/doubling time. And R0 = e^kt   If doubling time is 1.5 days the R0 is 3.89 . Note the (t) above is the infection or generation interval , about 3 days. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_reproduction_number                                            https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32145466/  second link see fig 1. The generation interval is about one day less than serial interval

A rough translation is that it’s not good news?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

My school was closed to students but teachers went in. Now teachers must stay at home and have been told they cannot go back to their home provinces. In my opinion schools will not reopen until at the very least November. 

I was informed this morning that 2 kids at my daughter's (same year but different class) school have caught Covid. Everyone is learning online and not going to school, but nonetheless it's disturbing to hear of it this close to home. I agree I cannot see schools opening until Term 2 at the earliest.

• Thanks 1

A post has been removed.

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

His reports are good and have been so from the off last year. He had to rely on an expat schoolteacher for most of the comment, which seemed reserved and limited - not the teacher's fault, I suppose.  

I think the expat teacher who actually had his own song played at the end was bizzare to the max and what he said was pretty much illinformed. Basically the conclusion was it's not to bad here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I think the Deniers have all deserted this forum. 

And those that were condemning the US for months and months and telling us how good things are in Thailand are now living their Karma.   

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Im only stupid engineer but what they teach me that exponential is accelerating growth. Hmm... maybe im wrong but if like April had zero case, May had 2000, June 4000 and now already starting July have 6000 case.... Is that accelerating growth!? Surely numbers not going down! Maybe i look numbers in wrong way there maybe have minus sign in front!

(What do you engineer lol. Because this post did not inspire confidence.)

Exponential growth rates are constant, not accelerating. Exponential growth happens when something grows by a constant rate. Arithmetic growth happens when something grows by a constant amount.

2000 -> 4000 -> 6000 would not be an example of exponential growth.

2000 -> 4000 -> 8000 would be an example of exponential growth.

This post isn't to say that Covid isn't growing exponentially here. I stopped following after it became obvious that the numbers are not correct.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, JJNThailand said:

And those that were condemning the US for months and months and telling us how good things are in Thailand are now living their Karma.   

Well, they weren’t wrong in many respects tbh.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, next door:

The number of positives from just over 10,000 tests is 20%. That tells you the number of unrecorded covid you Ngwe ruins in Myanmar is very high.
Quote Tweet
Myanmar Reports Highest COVID-19 Daily Death Toll Since Coup https://bit.ly/3yCSVKH

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

I predict one of Thailand's largest ever bubble and seals happening soon, over 35k people, although this one will be a breeze for them to put in place.

Reports emerging of 1st confirmed COVID-19 case in Mae La Refugee Camp, largest of the 9 Thai camps, around 35k ppl total, north of Mae Sot, in Tak Province. Hugely concerning considering density & low resourced health services.

V0RMb_Hw?format=jpg&name=small

https://twitter.com/mattyrwalsh/status/1411995158640414726

It’s a sad thing to say, but I doubt much time will be spent worrying about these folk in the corridors of power.

1 minute ago, wensiensheng said:

It’s a sad thing to say, but I doubt much time will be spent worrying about these folk in the corridors of power.

Absolutely, I doubt we'll hear anything more about it until the UN or Amnesty get involved and even then it will be ignored.

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Cipher said:

(What do you engineer lol. Because this post did not inspire confidence.)

Exponential growth rates are constant, not accelerating. Exponential growth happens when something grows by a constant rate. Arithmetic growth happens when something grows by a constant amount.

2000 -> 4000 -> 6000 would not be an example of exponential growth.

2000 -> 4000 -> 8000 would be an example of exponential growth.

This post isn't to say that Covid isn't growing exponentially here. I stopped following after it became obvious that the numbers are not correct.

Sorry 1,2000,6000 we can skip one number if you want! 

exponential growth or decay function is a function that grows or shrinks at a constant percent growth rate. The equation can be written in the form f(x) = a(1 + r)x or f(x) = abxwhere b = 1 + r.

Dont need to be person with exceptional and unnecessary attention to detail!  Nitpicker's monitor every place these days.

Edited by 2 is 1

5 hours ago, meltonpie said:

It seems you are nit picking now

if tomorrow 3000 get discharge at 7am prompt and new arrivals don’t start until 7.01 there will be enough beds for numbers 1 - 3,000.

For 3,001 - 6,000 there will be no beds available.

They form an orderly queue and the next day they occupy the space created by that days departures thus meaning there are no beds available for the next 6,000 new arrivals etc etc

Question is - if they have 3,000 more cases per day than beds, where are they all going?

They are either going home, or camping by the hospital. 

Pattaya City Mayor addresses viral photos of massive food donation charity lines in the city on social media

The Pattaya City Mayor addressed the current situation in the city after photos of hundreds of needy people sitting down on Pattaya beach in queues waiting for food went viral on Thai and English social media last week.

The Pattaya City Mayor Sonthaya Khunpluem told The Pattaya News, “Photos of needy people and those needing charity have gone viral on social media. Many people replied with negative comments and claim the city is not trying to help or resolve the vaccination situation or reopen force closed businesses (due to Covid19 restrictions) and that is not true.”

S__9102192.jpg?resize=696%2C557&ssl=1?v=1625488260

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/05/pattaya-city-mayor-addresses-viral-photos-of-massive-food-donation-charity-lines-in-the-city-on-social-media/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Europe's drug regulator said the COVID-19 vaccines approved in the European Union offered protection against all coronavirus variants, including Delta, but called for active monitoring by vaccine manufacturers to stay alert.

To monitor potential new threats, vaccine makers have exposed the blood of vaccinated people to viruses engineered to have the typical features of the variant of concern to determine if neutralizing antibodies quell that virus.

Currently, the European Union has four COVID-19 vaccines authorized - Pfizer and BioNTech, AstraZeneca and Oxford, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson. The EMA said it would proceed with evaluating data from CureVac's coronavirus vaccine after the German biotech firm said its jab was only 48% effective in a final analysis.

May be an image of text that says "NBT WORLD European Medicines Agency (EMA): COVID-19 vaccines approved in the EU offer protection against all coronavirus variants, including Delta Currently, the European Union has authorized four makes of COVID-19 vaccine: 1 Pfizer BIONTECH 2 AstraZeneca UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD 3 moderna™ messenger therapeutics 4 Johnson Johnson"

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158123222097050

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Sorry 1,2000,6000 we can skip one number if you want! 

exponential growth or decay function is a function that grows or shrinks at a constant percent growth rate. The equation can be written in the form f(x) = a(1 + r)x or f(x) = abxwhere b = 1 + r.

Dont need to be person with exceptional and unnecessary attention to detail!  Nitpicker's monitor every place these days.

Please stop this. It really doesn't add anything. 

9 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Pattaya City Mayor addresses viral photos of massive food donation charity lines in the city on social media

The Pattaya City Mayor addressed the current situation in the city after photos of hundreds of needy people sitting down on Pattaya beach in queues waiting for food went viral on Thai and English social media last week.

The Pattaya City Mayor Sonthaya Khunpluem told The Pattaya News, “Photos of needy people and those needing charity have gone viral on social media. Many people replied with negative comments and claim the city is not trying to help or resolve the vaccination situation or reopen force closed businesses (due to Covid19 restrictions) and that is not true.”

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/07/05/pattaya-city-mayor-addresses-viral-photos-of-massive-food-donation-charity-lines-in-the-city-on-social-media/

The privilaged will always say this to defend said privilage. It's not true. It's not fair. All part of capatalism and the equal playing field which of course does not exist. Greed is number 1. Humanity is not in this way of thinking.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, anchadian said:

He's right.  They're giving employment to all the workers who are digging up the roads again and building essential skateboard parks!!!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Many more anecdotal stories on social media of people dyeing at home while awaiting a bed,

Are they being treated at home or just waiting around for a bed? 

39 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/thailand-pm-prayuth-self-isolation-covid-19-phuket-15158628

PM has made it onto CNA. Will western press pick up on it I wonder

Why would it matter?  Nobody is vacationing in Thailand anyways.  The reports of this ridiculous sand box proves it unless you're talking about 30 people a day.