Twenty percent of donated Pfizer vaccines from US must go to foreigners living in Thailand, says CCSA general

webfact

The US Embassy in Thailand is already celebrating the shipment of 1 million doses to . . . Malaysia. Probably not too many Americans there, but no mention of them getting the shot first. No mention at all on the charge's, embassy's, or ACS's twitter account about Thailand or anything for Americans in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

about half of expats will be at mercy of the second part of the vax program, middle/end of autumn

Not really. 

All Europeans can take a flight back to their home country and get the jab there . (Americans to US) 

If you choose Johnson it's a once off moment. 

If Biontech/Moderna there are two flights necessary. 

So if you're afraid of getting Covid you are free to travel. 

Otherwise wait for actions of this caring govt ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sawadee1947 said:

Not really. 

All Europeans can take a flight back to their home country and get the jab there . (Americans to US) 

Australians don't have this luxury, but then again, compared to other expats, our country treats all departees like Christopher Skase even in the good times. Strange, as were not costing the miserable Canberra swine anything by leaving.

28 minutes ago, placeholder said:

That doesn't refer to the 1.5 million doses. That said, it's certainly odd that the US Embassy or State Dept has made no mention of the 300,000 alleged stipulation.

Odd? Not if we aren't getting it, it's not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

Odd? Not if we aren't getting it, it's not.

I guess it's less odd that a government official would give false information than that the American govt. wouldn't comment on it. So I am inclined to agree that it's not so. But who knows? Maybe the Americans wanted to hold off on releasing the news until distribution channels and a system of contact was set up.

Just now, John Drake said:

I'm very negative about that rathole of an embassy and its creatures inside. If your mention of waiting for distribution channels and such is correct, I can only contrast that with the smooth operation of the Chinese and French embassies, who basically took care of business before anyone could comment or see what was happening.  Personally, I believe the embassy creatures think they are the United States and American citizens here are cluttering up their board game with too many distractions. The staff at the ACS are probably all career deadenders anyway and probably can't wait until they pull their next assignment.

Actually, Thailand is considered to be a plum appointment and something of a reward for good performance elsewhere.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Actually, Thailand is considered to be a plum appointment and something of a reward for good performance elsewhere.

I guess that would explain why they always seem to be angling for more time off from work.

3 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I guess that would explain why they always seem to be angling for more time off from work.

You seem to have 

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I'm very negative about that rathole of an embassy and its creatures inside. If your mention of waiting for distribution channels and such is correct, I can only contrast that with the smooth operation of the Chinese and French embassies, who basically took care of business before anyone could comment or see what was happening.  Personally, I believe the embassy creatures think they are the United States and American citizens here are cluttering up their board game with too many distractions. The staff at the ACS are probably all career deadenders anyway and probably can't wait until they pull their next assignment.

You seem to have a misunderstanding of what the Foreign Service members at the Embassy can do. They don't set policy. They only carry out their instructions from the higher-ups at the State Dept. Yours is what is called displaced anger. It's like when a spouse scolds someone and they kick the dog who's blameless instead of the spouse. Direct your unhappiness at where it belongs.

9 minutes ago, John Drake said:

This was 

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

This is just another case of a Thai government official putting out wrong information, then gets contradicted the same day. There will be no 20% to Americans or anyone else unless your Thai or a health worker that's already had 2 doses of the useless Sinovac

It remains to be seen what kind of sneaky decisions will be made in distribution of the free USA vaccine. As for the 20% foreigners I think they will be last in line. Then, oh, we ran out, sorry about that. Notice Thailand has not made any public statements on what their plans are. It seems reasonable that American living in Thailand might get a jab. Wait and see if we are last or if it happens.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

And the Swiss Embassy now....

• Like 2

This is a lie. The US state department and US Embassy  did not even mention the 20% out of 1.5 mil to foreigners in their statement about donations of Pfizer. If this was true , believe me they would have said so.

• Like 1

US ambassador is a dead-beat, crisis like this they should of reserved some gifted vaccine to vaccinate their citizen instead they steer it away and trying to let the Thai do all the job, most of these ambassador doesn't have a clue how to do their job, they are put in that position just because and nothing more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Presnock said:

from what I heard the embassies cancelled because ex-pats were not able to justify what they claimed they were receiving.  The missions lost a lot of monies by cancelling the letters so I am of the opinion that the reason they gave was justified.

Seems rather dodgy reasoning. Surely expats have documents such as pension statements which should be enough for embassies.

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

You seem to have 

You seem to have a misunderstanding of what the Foreign Service members at the Embassy can do. They don't set policy. They only carry out their instructions from the higher-ups at the State Dept. Yours is what is called displaced anger. It's like when a spouse scolds someone and they kick the dog who's blameless instead of the spouse. Direct your unhappiness at where it belongs.

If we wanted help on vaccinations, not even Blinkin' is qualified to be the 'decider'. I was disappointed that the Senate letter went to him rather than the White House.

1 hour ago, club said:

Placeholder is a Psychiatrist, Virologist, Proctologist, expert on Foreign affairs, Marriage counselor, accountant and expert on anything else I did not mention  and loves to argue with anyone

And you have a predilection for ad hominem attacks rather than addressing the issues at hand.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, vinci said:

US ambassador is a dead-beat, crisis like this they should of reserved some gifted vaccine to vaccinate their citizen instead they steer it away and trying to let the Thai do all the job, most of these ambassador doesn't have a clue how to do their job, they are put in that position just because and nothing more.

Because the Ambassador has the authority to do that? You don't think he answers to higher-ups? Ambassadors don't set policy. They are appointed to carry it out.

21 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

Not really. 

Yes we can all fly back home where Thai nationals didn't have to wait or be put at the back of the line.

• Like 1

If anyone is in a position to apply pressure to the powers that be, now's a good time on the eve of another lockdown.   (and by pressure, I don't mean drunk posting feverishly on TV/AN)

23 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Australians don't have this luxury, but then again, compared to other expats, our country treats all departees like Christopher Skase even in the good times. Strange, as were not costing the miserable Canberra swine anything by leaving.

Australians can fly to the US to get vaccinated.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, wprime said:

Australians can fly to the US to get vaccinated.

Just like most of the games now this latest seemed to me to be a govt sponsored game that was allowing the group of private hospitals to play their game for July wherein people registered and prepaid monies for Moderna vaccine. Lots of rumors flying around so who knows if true.  Supposedly the Bangkok hospital was to get the Moderna vaccine made the queue available to some poeple a few days ahead of the general public.  By the time it was open all the slots were already or predominately booked.  Why not as it seems one person could book up to 10 shot. I though the plan was open up bookings to find out how many person were serious about booking shot as they had to pay then requesting the shot?  Then at the end of July, they would then know how many doses they needed to satisfy their customers what had already paid the fee (included in that fee was hospital costs too).  When I checked to see if Bangkok Hospital were taking orders, I saw I had received a SMS msg.All in Thai I immediately contacted Bangkok Hospital by phone as that is where I and my wife get our annual shots and any treatment needed during the year. The information center had no idea whatsoever - just like the earlier, again Bangkok Hospital said they had heard nothing about either. I called another number and found out they had a English App BPuls so down load it but at first Neither I or my sister – in –law son could open it I final was able to open BPlus read the instructions Clicked the Accept Policy and received reply. Then I sent text Line msg back Stating that I what the Modern vaccine, Plus I call the Covid 19 control office and they said that they had received my msg and everything look ok. The next day I was at the Hospital for F / U appointment, I ask them how do I pay and how do I get the E document ? They checked my records NO registration on file sorry your too late! Will not cover the rest of the day at the hospital and what I tried to do. Once home that’s when I notice on a expat forum that  Bangkok Hospitals opened up for this trial yet I found shut down almost immediately, then CMRam ran their ad and I noticed that they were open for business for 5 minutes before shutting down.  I also noticed that at some hospitals there was reportedly a "queue around the block" to get in for the registration, phones went unanswered, etc while some people said they drove 2 hours to get in the queue.  I guess after being here 30 years I should ignore all "plans" of the govt or private Business say or do!  Hopefully we will get moderna vaccine  before the virus.  I notice earlier about the story and Sinovac - with govt getting lots of Pfizer and possible plans to jab those senior people that already have the Sinovac which might not help them with Variant D.  Lost faith in Hospital management, now they just play games with their patrons.

• Thanks 1