High levels of styrene found within 1km radius of chemical factory, avoidance recommended

webfact

v57mCHwLbnPdirFLAUcf1y03wNBq.jpg

A high level of styrene, a synthetic chemical used extensively in the manufacture of plastics, has been found in a 1km radius of the Ming Dih Chemical Company in Samut Prakan province, where a huge explosion occurred yesterday (Monday) morning, leading to a fire that took more than a day to extinguish. Returning to the site is not yet recommended, according to the Pollution Control Department.

The level of styrene found within the 1km radius is 1,035.47ppm, which is close to the level of 1,100 ppm which can have serious health impacts. Within a 3km radius, the styrene level is at 86.43ppm and at 51.77ppm in a 5km radius – both considered low enough not to impact health.

According to Assoc. Prof. Weerachai Phutdhawong of Kasetsart University, the chemicals found in the black smoke, which spread over several areas, are hazardous and can cause cancer. He urged the use of N95 masks that can filter PM2.5 and the avoidance of areas where chemical odours are distinct.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/high-levels-of-styrene-found-within-1km-radius-of-chemical-factory-avoidance-recommended/

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-06

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Thai Authorities Warn of Carcinogenic Fumes and Order Evacuation around Burning Factory

f82429792bd1cc45a77dd38f9dbce3a0_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Pollution Control Department has warned the public that fumes from styrene monomers are carcinogenic and must not be inhaled, following yesterday’s massive blaze at the Ming Dih Chemical Co factory complex, in Samut Prakan’s Bang Phli district.

Authorities have ordered residents in a 10-kilometre radius of the blast site to evacuate, due to the dangers of toxic smoke inhalation, while helicopters were called in to help firefighters spray fire retardant foam over the burning complex. Their focus was to keep the advancing flames away from other chemical storage sites in the compound, which could trigger further explosions.

The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation reported that at least 70 houses and 15 vehicles were damaged by the explosion, while a rescue worker was killed and at least 39 people, including 12 other rescue workers, were injured.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-07-06

47 minutes ago, johng said:

Is the fire extinguished yet ???

I am a bit confused about the latest news in the thread that all refer to yesterday (July 5).

I saw that today (July 6) there was another explosion (against their promises).

Another big trail of dangerous smoke.

It's said that the new fire has been extinguished.

And separate news about another big fire in the Lat Krabang industrial area?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I am a bit confused about the latest news in the thread that all refer to yesterday (July 5).

I saw that today (July 6) there was another explosion (against their promises).

Another big trail of dangerous smoke.

It's said that the new fire has been extinguished.

And separate news about another big fire in the Lat Krabang industrial area?

And another in near Impact Muangthong Thani...

image.png.530a3ba3231babae5bf4e2fda646d0c2.png

6 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Many Thais seem to be confused as to why a major chemical factory is operating in a heavily dense urban area....   Perhaps this is a chance for the Thai government to look more closely at zoning. ????

That was my thought as well ... but I guess - in our dreams only. 

The brother of a good friend of mine has been evacuated - lives 1.5km from blast site. Staying out of town with family.

Just noticed there's another thread on Samut Prakan industrial sites being licensed in urban areas ...

So sad.

Edited by BusyB
Added SP thread note

On 7/6/2021 at 12:47 PM, edwinchester said:

Crazy allowing such industries and housing to be built virtually next to each other.

The housing was not there 20 years ago unfortunately while the factory has been there for a long time. Attached are photos.

The province and land transport agency is to blame for allowing the infil of homes. Now the issue is ground water contamination and it will be a toxic area for a long time.

20210707_073849.jpg

20210707_073806.jpg

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The housing was not there 20 years ago unfortunately while the factory has been there for a long time. Attached are photos.

The province and land transport agency is to blame for allowing the infil of homes. Now the issue is ground water contamination and it will be a toxic area for a long time.

20210707_073849.jpg

20210707_073806.jpg

Yeah I guessed that just looking at Google Streetview. Whoever allowed all the residential units to be built within spitting distance needs holding to account for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Yeah I guessed that just looking at Google Streetview. Whoever allowed all the residential units to be built within spitting distance needs holding to account for sure.

I agree 100%, there is another thread running on that point but I can not find it right now.

Now aren't you all glad that most of you do not own or rent your places anywhere near this

factory?  My wife has a friend who lives less than 5 kms from there, and I bet her house

resale value is not great right now.

Geezer

25 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Now aren't you all glad that most of you do not own or rent your places anywhere near this

factory?  My wife has a friend who lives less than 5 kms from there, and I bet her house

resale value is not great right now.

Geezer

Given that the factory probably wont be rebuilt, at least in that location, the end result will probably be a rise in property values in the longer term. Last week they lived next to a factory, next month they will live next to a vacant block that will be re-zoned for no factories.

If all goes well the factory site may become a park, shopping mall etc

Edited by Peterw42

10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Given that the factory probably wont be rebuilt, at least in that location, the end result will probably be a rise in property values in the longer term. Last week they lived next to a factory, next month they will live next to a vacant block that will be re-zoned for no factories.

If all goes well the factory site may become a park, shopping mall etc

After abut 100 years as a superfund hazardous toxic waste site with contaminated ground water, it may be like those areas surrounding Chernobyl.

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

After abut 100 years as a superfund hazardous toxic waste site with contaminated ground water, it may be like those areas surrounding Chernobyl.

As per the OP, the problem is more the immediate toxic fumes, gas etc from the fire, Styrene in its liquid or solid state evaporates, breaks down, doesn't dissolve in water etc. We are not talking Uranium 235 that renders an area uninhabitable.

A quick google search will show its really only a major problem when its burnt. 

Yes, its probably not the ideal site ffor a fish farm etc but a shopping mall, residential etc is probably no different to many landfill sites.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, BusyB said:

That was my thought as well ... but I guess - in our dreams only. 

The brother of a good friend of mine has been evacuated - lives 1.5km from blast site. Staying out of town with family.

Just noticed there's another thread on Samut Prakan industrial sites being licensed in urban areas ...

So sad.

Agree.  The sad part of all this, the annual pollution crop burning apocalypse and the current handling of the pandemic, is that its highlighting how little Thai people can affect their leadership.  Junta's just arnt very good at leading and the inappropriate people they place at all levels of government are severely impacting peoples lives.  We know of many thais in their 20s, 30s and 40s who have had serious health issues the past few years including cancer, thyroid problems, etc.. and I cant help but wonder how much the ever deteriorating environment is playing a part. 

Edited by Jimbo2014
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

As per the OP, the problem is more the immediate toxic fumes, gas etc from the fire, Styrene in its liquid or solid state evaporates, breaks down, doesn't dissolve in water etc. We are not talking Uranium 235 that renders an area uninhabitable.

A quick google search will show its really only a major problem when its burnt. 

Yes, its probably not the ideal site ffor a fish farm etc but a shopping mall, residential etc is probably no different to many landfill sites.

Nice analogy, you do make a valid point as the malls are toxic dumps....

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Land was cheaper, and people aren't exactly overeducated in thoughts like environment or emergency planning in Thailand.

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

20210707_073849.jpg

20210707_073806.jpg

It's also about the toxic dust that fell out of that black cloud over an entire residential area ...