Retirement visa renewal: less than 800K deposited. Now what?

Hi all,

I stupidly miscalculated the money I had to deposit to reach the 800K, 3 months ago. I have planned to go tmorrow to Chaeng Watthana to renew and decided to update my passbook, when I realized in horror that I'm short 18K -not for a lack of funds, but a lack of smarts obviously. I am thinking about still going and hope for the best, i.e. an IO that won't be too picky, since it's not a big amount. I will deposit the missing funds tonight but as soon as they check the passbook they will see that, of course. If that doesn't work, my last resort will be an agent. Any advice? Thank you all.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, LoliLoso said:

For renewal you need 3 months of 800k Baht in Bank account. 

A friend of mine encounter this situation a few weeks ago at CW.

Pleaded with IO, was able to renew extension with a generous tip.

That's what I was going for, but since they require only 2 months, I will follow Tonray's idea and apply for a 60-day extension. The money will have then been in the account for those 2 months. Thank you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It will probably be done at CW but they might send you to Muang Thong Thani to the 60 day covid 19 extension.

You use the standard TM7 form to apply for it. There is this affidavit that you will need to complete. 

60 Day Covid 19 Extension Affidavit.pdf229.8 kB · 452 downloads

Wow, thanks so much!. So I think I'll go straight to Muang Thong Thani, since I have a few days left on my visa.

39 minutes ago, LoliLoso said:

2 months in the bank at every application.

2 hours ago, tonray said:

Should apply for 60 day Covid extension. Then you'll have two months to season 800k

Can you go from a Covid extension back to a retirement extension if your current retirement extension expires during those 60 days?

Edit:  In fact, can you even get a Covid extension if you're on a retirement extension?

Edited by impulse

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Can you go from a Covid extension back to a retirement extension if your current retirement extension expires during those 60 days?

I'll let you know tomorrow. But if my retirement visa didn't expire within those 60 days I wouldn't need the extension to "season" (love that) the 800k.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happyland said:
6 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'll let you know tomorrow. But if my retirement visa didn't expire within those 60 days I wouldn't need the extension to "season" (love that) the 800k.

My concern is that you won't find out tomorrow...  They'll give you the 60 days.  You'd get the really bad news after 60 days...

I'm not claiming to know...  Just asking if anyone's done it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LoliLoso said:

No! It's two months before the application, and three months after.

It is NOT three months before.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, impulse said:

Edit:  In fact, can you even get a Covid extension if you're on a retirement extension?

Yes and Yes. Many people have had to do it already.

The 60 day extension will start at the end of the 1 year extension of stay.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No! It's two months before the application, and three months after.

It is NOT three months before.

Yes, that is the official policy.   HOWEVER... as you well know, every office is different and can throw a curve ball without warning. There are many posts about it on this forum. Best to cover your butt.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, impulse said:

My concern is that you won't find out tomorrow...  They'll give you the 60 days.  You'd get the really bad news after 60 days...

I'm not claiming to know...  Just asking if anyone's done it.

Well, I just came back from CW. I read on the US Embassy page that 60-day extensions can be done from any immigration office and they are right. Yes, as Ubonjoe said, you can extend for 60 days and then renew your visa  -when everything else is OK.

Only problem is that I had not left the money in the account long enough, so my visa was basically invalid since the 2nd month after I got it. Officer was very nice and understanding.

Anyway, now I will have to use the agent again, which I really wanted to avoid, but I have no other option. IO told me for next time to travel out and then re-apply for a new visa and never use an agent again.

19 hours ago, Happyland said:

That's what I was going for, but since they require only 2 months, I will follow Tonray's idea and apply for a 60-day extension. The money will have then been in the account for those 2 months. Thank you!

I didn't mean I was going to give a "generous tip". Not really possible, nor how it's done if you want to go that way.

Edited by Happyland

Do you have another small Thai account that is seasoned.?

I am sure they would let you combine them.

But for heavens sake how do you "miscalculate" someting like this in particular as you stated not a shortage of funds.? (The missus has a card ?   555)

1 hour ago, Happyland said:

Well, I just came back from CW. I read on the US Embassy page that 60-day extensions can be done from any immigration office and they are right. Yes, as Ubonjoe said, you can extend for 60 days and then renew your visa  -when everything else is OK.

Only problem is that I had not left the money in the account long enough, so my visa was basically invalid since the 2nd month after I got it. Officer was very nice and understanding.

Anyway, now I will have to use the agent again, which I really wanted to avoid, but I have no other option. IO told me for next time to travel out and then re-apply for a new visa and never use an agent again.

I didn't mean I was going to give a "generous tip". Not really possible, nor how it's done if you want to go that way.

You mean to say you did not maintain 800k for 3 months after your extension last year ?

21 hours ago, tonray said:

Only need 2 months prior to application and 3 months afterwards, and must maintain 400K all year

I beg to differ. In Nakhon Sawan it is 3 months prior to application as I found to my cost last year

1 minute ago, Jonnapat said:

I beg to differ. In Nakhon Sawan it is 3 months prior to application as I found to my cost last year

No need to beg..better to relocate to any other province since yours is the only one requiring 3 months.

• Haha 1

For me the problem with this debate lies in the terminology people use. i.e the word "renew/renewal" alongside the word "visa". From what I have learned (mainly on this forum) one can't "renew" or get a "visa renewal" while in country. One can either apply for an extension (permission) of stay when the visa used for entry has expired (e,g 90 days in the case on Non-Imm O) or leave the country and apply for a totally new entry visa (and come back in). If people are applying to extend their stay (after the entry visa has expired) then it's an "extension/permission of stay (for reason of, etc)", not a "renewal of the visa".

And according to the Immigration Bureau websites "immigration.go.th/en/" (which relates to the Suan Phlu office), and "bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/" (which relates to CW) the 800k has to be in the account "60 days" prior to a first 1-year extension of stay, but "3 months" prior to a second, 1-year extension of stay. It's clause 4.

I'll attach screen shots.

ImmigrationDivision1Screenshot from 2021-07-05 23-48-18.png

ImmigrationSuanPhluScreenshot from 2021-07-05 23-50-19.png

21 hours ago, LoliLoso said:

the tip is corrupion lol

9 minutes ago, Soup Dragon said:

For me the problem with this debate lies in the terminology people use. i.e the word "renew/renewal" alongside the word "visa". From what I have learned (mainly on this forum) one can't "renew" or get a "visa renewal" while in country. One can either apply for an extension (permission) of stay when the visa used for entry has expired (e,g 90 days in the case on Non-Imm O) or leave the country and apply for a totally new entry visa (and come back in). If people are applying to extend their stay (after the entry visa has expired) then it's an "extension/permission of stay (for reason of, etc)", not a "renewal of the visa".

And according to the Immigration Bureau websites "immigration.go.th/en/" (which relates to the Suan Phlu office), and "bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/" (which relates to CW) the 800k has to be in the account "60 days" prior to a first 1-year extension of stay, but "3 months" prior to a second, 1-year extension of stay. It's clause 4.

Old news....the law has changed...the website has not.

When they added the requirement of holding 800K for 3 months post extension, they also changed the upfront seasoning period to 2 months.

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1

All I have to add is to confirm what was previously said:  the IO who finally approves your extension won't be the one you sit across from who checks that all the correct documents are in hand.  Rather, it's that persons overseer.

59 minutes ago, Soup Dragon said:

New Rules: https://aseannow.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=567951