Thailand reports 6,519 new COVID-19 cases, 54 more deaths

webfact

In recent days, with COVID case counts frequently reaching new record highs, the MoPH has stopped publicly providing what had been a staple of its daily COVID reports -- a bar chart showing the daily trend in new COVID cases since the start of April.

This below was, I believe, the last one MoPH issued back on July 5. Haven't seen any new version since then. (The red trend lines were added by me, and weren't part of the original MoPH document):

2021-07-04f.jpg.11f16de0bdf11abea953ba7d8501a6dc.jpg

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Today I believe is one month since the launch of Thailand's supposed COVID mass vaccination campaign that began June 7.

Since that date, according to the chart below, Thailand has administered a total of 7.2 million vaccine doses.  At that rate, they're not going to meet their goal of getting 70% of the population fully vaccinated by the end of the year.

7.2 million doses per month for the remaining 6 months of the year (July to December) would net about 43 million doses, plus the 11.3 million total given from late February to today, gets the nation only to about 55 million doses if the current pace continues moving forward.

My rough calculation above is consistent with what Khaosod English has been reporting on a daily basis -- that Thailand is only administering about half of the daily doses it needs to meet its goal (as of yesterday, gave 280,000+ doses, but needed to be giving about 530,000 per day).2021-07-07h.jpg.f8a37746472fb9d423b618d44916e052.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/359544672330530/?type=3

2022 will be the year they reach the goal it does appear at this rate.

Netizens demand subsidies for their Moderna vaccines via a trending hashtag

"On Wednesday, Thais who paid to book vaccines from Moderna asked the government to subsidize their payments. They took to social media with #ทวงคืนค่าโมเดอน่า (“reclaim Moderna fee”) to vent their anger.

They argue that the government should have brought in the vaccine and provided it for free. The government, however, has resisted doing so and is red taping purchases by businesses, they added.

The high price, difficulties in booking and lack of clear communication from the government resulted in the hashtag, which is currently trending and surpassed 100,000 tweets on Wednesday morning.

(more)

https://www.thaienquirer.com/29491/netizens-demand-subsidies-for-their-moderna-vaccines-via-a-trending-hashtag/

As the article explains, part of the reason the locals are unhappy about the Moderna situation is that the government said that the Pfizer doses it just ordered for delivery later in the year (unlike the Moderna doses sourced for private hospitals) will be given free as part of the government's vaccination program.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, Blumpie said:

You don't have to self isolate.  Figure out when to go shopping when nobody is around.  Disinfect your hands.  Stay away from as many as you can.  Disinfect your phone.  Don't touch your face.  Don't go out unless you have to.

Just do your best.  I know it's distressing.  

The biggest worry is long term effects from the disease.  It can be really really bad.  

Don't touch your face. I always found this intersting. Covid on finger touch cheek with said finger and somehow the virus will move to your nose or mouth. Obviously not. The virus can't walk and wearing a mask properly should stop you picking your teeth or your nose. The Delta brings in the airborne transmission. Yes it was airborne before to a point but this Delta seems to be really aerosol. Blumpie I'm not having a go at your post. Your right. Forget the don't touch your face and think don't pick your teeth, don't pick your nose and don't rub your eyes. The virus can't walk you have to put it there. Delta? Just inhale at the wrong moment and it's there.

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

This would have to be brought completely under control before another wave can be called a fourth wave.

Does it matter what they call it, Thailand has clearly been inundated with the pandemic for well over a year which was never been under control just concealed.

All the 1st wave 3rd wave 98th wave nonsense is just a further deflection from the basic negligent policy of extremely limited testing nationwide which perpetuated a virtually covid free illusion for a long while with some hopeful souls believing it.........and actually congratulating these egomaniacal clueless idiots.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I didn’t admit I was wrong. 

There are some days where there are spikes because the labs process a backlog of cases. You can tell because a higher percentage of new cases are from lab tests and not hospital admissions.

More to the point, it is much more useful to try to understand the progress of the epidemic than to try to make debating points on an Internet forum. At this point, simply repeating that the government is not handling this well, and that the epidemic is going to get worse is not useful. What is useful is monitoring the progress to see if it is time to stock up on supplies for a couple of weeks, or leave the country, or head for the hills.

You aren’t required to admit anything

Its plain for all to see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

From the total 6,519 cases that were found in the past 24 hours:

- 4,958 were found via tests at medical facilities

- 1,490 via proactive tests at known clusters

-55 via proactive in prisons

- 16 imported cases

#โควิด19 #โควิด19วันนี้ #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand #Covid19

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1412647854162599939

Again with this. How can it be proactive at known clusters. Surely this is reactive. Proactive is seek and ye shall find. Proactive in prisons. Why? Everyone is there. Just test the lot and keep on testing.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

2021-07-07e.png.12a5e18c76a5812742aa110c0a3a55bd.png

"A 5,000 bed field hospital is to be set up in the compound of Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi International Airport and is expected to become operational in August. The new facility is being established to address the current hospital bed shortage, being caused by a continued surge in COVID-19 cases, according to Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob.

The Transport Ministry has been asked by the Public Health Ministry to set up a field hospital in the airport’s 100,000m2 area of the Satellite 1 building. The second floor will be used for intensive care units and doctors’ facilities, while the third and fourth floors will be used to accommodate mild and asymptomatic patients.

The new facility will open just in time, as the lease for the Bussarakum field hospital, at Impact Muang Thong Thani, will expire next month and the new field hospital, at the airport, will be able to accommodate three times as many patients, said the minister.

They are still focusing on how many beds they can provide, instead of how many beds do they need. 5k more will last 2 days at current rates of infection.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Do you think that hospital admissions numbers have no relationship with reality?

or, are they just an artifact?

Enough of the ridiculous artefact word.

As for your reasonable question about stocking up, it seems quite sensible, if you have the space and money, to stock up with non perishable items, especially if you have not been vaccinated.

it seems more likely that things will get worse before they get better.

Given your circumstances, if you are fully vaccinated, you might turn your attention to how you could volunteer to help if things get really nasty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Top official – fully vaccinated people must wear double face masks against the Delta virus strain

With a surge in infections being reported on Wednesday, driven by the more infectious Delta variant of Covid-19, Dr Taweesilp Visanuyothin, the government spokesman has warned the public that it will have to learn to live with a new level of threat from the disease. It comes as a top doctor at a Bangkok hospital has come forward to say he is aware of people dying at home who are not included in the official tallies. There is also an emerging demand for mRNA vaccines among the public and health personnel on the front line. However, the boss of the Government Pharmaceutical Organization (GPO) has warned that the much sought after Moderna vaccine will not be available until early next year.  

More - a lot more

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2021/07/07/vaccinated-people-must-wear-two-face-masks/

Double masks and don’t forget to double bip your hand at the temperature machine when you go into 7-11.

these guys are fighting tanks with knives.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sapson said:

Does it matter what they call it, Thailand has clearly been inundated with the pandemic for well over a year which was never been under control just concealed.

All the 1st wave 3rd wave 98th wave nonsense is just a further deflection from the basic negligent policy of extremely limited testing nationwide which perpetuated a virtually covid free illusion for a long while with some hopeful souls believing it.........and actually congratulating these egomaniacal clueless idiots.

Hospitals haven't been up against it until recently. So no, Thailand hasn't "clearly been inundated with the pandemic for well over a year.."

• Like 1

If you assume that the number of admissions is accurate (to the extent that beds are available), then that number in itself is useful in understanding the progress of the epidemic. If, for example, the number dropped dramatically for a sustained period, you would know the epidemic is lessening.

Currently, the number of available beds is limited to those available due to discharges and newly opened beds. If admissions fill those slots, then we know total case numbers are probably limited by available beds, and the real numbers would be higher.

If the number of hospital beds is fixed, and they are filled every day, the number tells you nothing about the spread

• Like 1

1 minute ago, meltonpie said:

If the number of hospital beds is fixed, and they are filled every day, the number tells you nothing about the spread

Well, they are increasing the number of beds. At least in field hospitals. But unless these increases can meet demand, it still doesn't tell us much.

• Like 1

As I have said many times, there isn’t enough testing, the real numbers are higher, anything more I need to repeat?

You also said many times that more testing wasn’t required, and that it wouldn’t necessarily reveal more cases. Particularly in Chonburi.

Although you do now appear to have revised your opinion about that

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

With this continuing incompetence and mismanagement we will be facing the inevitable and unavoidable lockdowns well into 2022.

I tend to agree. The only flaw in your comment is the country is run by an imbecile. The medical system can collapse and this empty head would still be pushing for openning up.

• Like 2

Vaccinations during the past day 0f 269,653 declined from the 280,000+ number reported the day before.

"Thailand's Vaccine Tracker (July 7, 2021)

About 4.66 percent of the population is fully vaccinated. 8,245,297 (+223,268) people have received the first dose, while 3,082,746 (+46,385) have been fully inoculated. At this rate, Thailand needs to administer 533,588 doses per day within 179 days to reach the herd immunity target by the year's end."

2021-07-07j.png.adb581830f6e2a4a38ef3f5d9e7dfe87.png

https://www.facebook.com/KhaosodEnglish/posts/4480319508653613

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sad and what a mess this has become.  The tentacles of this pandemic are now truly rippling through Thailand and it does not seem to matter who you are and since that is the case the vaccines need to go to everyone, and I mean everyone regardless of nationality.  Provide the vaccine to the most vulnerable and aged, then those with medical conditions as well as ensuring those on the frontline are vaccinated as well.  Any type of service provider also needs to be vaccinated and this includes teachers.  I know I sound like a broken record, and I apologize for that, however the facts are the facts and this Government failed in rolling out vaccines and then brought this devil to the door and invited him inside by the way they failed to respond to it.......

Agree except for the teacher bit. No teacher should be at school, no students should be at school and all schools nation wide should be closed.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, meltonpie said:

That is what I actually said in my post. Oh, well. 

Anyway, the number of hospital beds is not exactly fixed, they squeezed more in today. 

The catch with the donated #COVID19 vaccines by the US is that they’re in part if not all are being distributed through the COVAX program by @WHO @UNICEF and others - which #Thailand is not part of. So unless they’re figuring something else out this might be a hurdle.

Quote Tweet

U.S. Embassy Bangkok

@USEmbassyBKK

· 1h

As @POTUS has said, the U.S. has allocated 80 million safe and effective #vaccines to help countries in need around the world. Over 23 million of these are for Asian countries, which includes #Thailand. We are in this together! #FriendsPartnersAllies https://th.usembassy.gov/us-vaccine-donation-announced-2021

https://twitter.com/SaksithCNA/status/1412684160808873986

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, meltonpie said:

You also said many times that more testing wasn’t required, and that it wouldn’t necessarily reveal more cases. Particularly in Chonburi.

Although you do now appear to have revised your opinion about that

I am the guy who has posted 100 times that there isn't enough testing. Chonburi is doing better, but it is still not enough. 

Edited by Danderman123

21 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Don't touch your face. I always found this intersting. Covid on finger touch cheek with said finger and somehow the virus will move to your nose or mouth. Obviously not. The virus can't walk and wearing a mask properly should stop you picking your teeth or your nose. The Delta brings in the airborne transmission. Yes it was airborne before to a point but this Delta seems to be really aerosol. Blumpie I'm not having a go at your post. Your right. Forget the don't touch your face and think don't pick your teeth, don't pick your nose and don't rub your eyes. The virus can't walk you have to put it there. Delta? Just inhale at the wrong moment and it's there.

Have you count how many times/day you toutch your cheek/face? Do you know how long time virus stay alive in your cheek? Do you wash your face whit soap same time when you wash your hads.  Virus not walk but it moves from surface to surface. Reason should also clean personal items like phone after toutching those whit dirty hands.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

The devil was bearing gifts of huge financial gains which is why he was invited in.

Absolutely and the policies of these charlatans sadly demonstrates not even the slightest concern for the populace. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, meltonpie said:

Enough of the ridiculous artefact word.

As for your reasonable question about stocking up, it seems quite sensible, if you have the space and money, to stock up with non perishable items, especially if you have not been vaccinated.

it seems more likely that things will get worse before they get better.

Given your circumstances, if you are fully vaccinated, you might turn your attention to how you could volunteer to help if things get really nasty.

Yeah, I am prepared to help locally if things go south. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Agree except for the teacher bit. No teacher should be at school, no students should be at school and all schools nation wide should be closed.

Last time I said that I was bashed around... likely by lazy sods with kids around the house that are bored of having to take care of their brew... I totally agree with you... as a teacher myself I do not want to be around kids, or students at this time... It is bad enough when their is no pandemic kids are virus generating machines... now with the pandemic... OMG rather not be in contact with hundreds of virus factories...

• Thanks 1

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Protesters storm Public Health Ministry to demand better options for Covid-19 jabs

Protesters, who call themselves “Dek Pak Jaew” (big-mouth kids), showed up at the Public Health Ministry in Nonthaburi on Wednesday to demand the government procure alternative Covid-19 vaccines for the public, including children, and medical professionals.

The protesters tried to storm the premises but were stopped by security officials. They then demanded to see Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, so they could hand him their demand in person. However, the ministry sent its spokesman Dr Rungrueng Kitphati to receive the demand letter, which further angered the protesters.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40002944

Alternative jabs!?