60 Baht and 25 Setang

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Do you know what hypocrisy is?   You tried to withhold money from her first by deliberately not paying the full amount!   Is that not true?   If it is untrue, you better change your OP.

Maybe next time, Tesco should just round up to the nearest baht. That will solve all the hassle about something so trivial.

We can't even buy anything with 5 baht nowadays. They keep asking for minimum 20 baht.

Edited by EricTh

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Do you know what hypocrisy is?   You tried to withhold money from her first by deliberately not paying the full amount!   Is that not true?   If it is untrue, you better change your OP.

As previously stated, setang coins are usually just ignored in both payment and change , so I didnt think it would be necessary to pay , as soon as she requested the 25 Satang I gave it to her and thought, is she is going to be like that, so will I be 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2021 at 11:18 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

And then some farangs are surprised why some Thais think farangs are crazy. 

If the cashier kept .75bht from every transaction during the day (assume 300+), that would be a 225bht tip, almost doubling her daily wage. A nice little scam, she can do all day, every day.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 8:23 AM, dddave said:

I had a jar full of satang.  I put them all in a plastic bag and gave it to an old lady who begs in my neighborhood.  She took the bag, studied it, then looked back up at me with a look that was clearly not one of gratitude.

I tell you why! Coz only big markets like Tesco,Makro,Big C use those and banks not chance coins to bigger money! Even if kids want save money and deliver coins in bank its really difficult to find bank whitch take coins! Many sent them to main bank to count! After you can get money in account! If only satang coins they not even take ! So old lady was bist coz even she is beggar she loose her face when she try buy something whit satang coins.

Edited by 2 is 1

2 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Check the car park at Tesco to see who turns up in an expensive car, they are the ones pocketing the satangs !

You forgot to mention the Ferrari that Gus drove into the parking lot in Superman III.....I was going to post this example as well but you beat me to it.

However,  I agree with the consensus that more than 60bht should have been paid during the initial transaction.  Conversely, saving 25 satang on a thousand transactions would also be a long term

benefit  for the OP. 

Reminds me of a story in Saudi long long ago. I used to stop at a small shop on the way to the office regularly and the guy always gave me gum for change, 1 pack for 25 halalas (.25 Saudi Riyals). 

Well after a period of time, some months, the console in my car became full of gum. So one morning when I was short of cash, I thought, hey, I'll pay for my snacks with gum change.

The shopkeeper didn't object but I'll never forget the look on his face.

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Haha 2

On 7/7/2021 at 5:19 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Tesco Lotus were acting like $%^&^%&^% by sticking 25 Setang onto an item and keeping the 75 Setang change .

If they did they regularly , they would make a huge profit .

For every thousand customers , they would make and profit 75 000 Satang 

Your turn Finicky.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

Why do shops/supermarkets still price sertang into their goods!

A number of grocery items such as milk and sugar have prices set by the government and being like any government, they can't just do things simple, thus fractions of a Baht.  Was there ever a one satang coin in recent memory?

25 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

I'm surprised she didn't rip open her uniform and declare "Take me. Take me now!!" 

????????????????????????

Brilliant! The best I've heard/read in years! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

and unfortunately part of her job is to have to be upset by a guy refusing to pay .25 satang and having an incident because of it... no Thai customer would be so petty, 

Do stop spreading false information, I did not refuse to pay 25 Setang , 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

ok.. new day, new story... yes, eventually you paid.. but how petty to attempt to underpay and create an incident... 

I am sure you made her crummy job all that much less enjoyable.. nice guy - spreading sunshine wherever you go.. 

No, you created the new story by suggesting that I refused to pay . I didnt refuse to pay and I gave it to her when she asked for it 

They dont usually require setang , they dont usually ask for it , that is why I didnt give it to her initially 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Are satangs legal tender?  I had a Lazada delivery once which came to 170.20 baht. I gave the guy 170 baht and a 25 satang coin. He was most upset and insisted i hadn't paid enough. I gave him another 1 baht but didn't get the 75 satang change.

1 minute ago, Gandtee said:

They don't? Really? Come on now, You've started telling porkies. Wriggling comes to mind.???? 

You are accusing me of lying . 

I am not, I am telling the truth . 

7/11's dont usually bother about the Setangs , either giving them or receiving them .

I was in two restaurants last week and they rounded the bill down to the nearest ten Baht . 205 Baht bill , I gave them 500 B and they gave me 300 Back and the lady seemed embarrassed when I tried to give  5 Baht

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2021 at 11:00 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Getting the correct change back would actually make the cash register to be correct , at the end of the day . 

If Tesco lotus  wont disregard 25 Setang , why should I disregard 75 Setang ?

Totally agree, how many times a day would this happen, profiteering at its worst!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

of course they do... places like that don't discount or round down the bill - and you know that. 

Yes they do . They usually either round up or down the the nearest full Baht 

I shall go to my local 7/11 today and buy something which has 25 Setang in it and will see the outcome , 

• Sad 2

26 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes they do . They usually either round up or down the the nearest full Baht 

I shall go to my local 7/11 today and buy something which has 25 Setang in it and will see the outcome , 

When I was a boy in the Uk I used to watch a professional Wrestler named Mick Mcmanus. A very similar monika to yours. He used to get tied up in a hold he couldn't get out of sometimes. But then he would submit defeat. I am enjoying the comedy of this inane thread???????? 

• Haha 1