Health Agency Expects Delta Variant Will Be Predominant COVID-19 Strain in Thailand

webfact

bcc55b810a3c2a903ec62034e914c643_small.jpg

By Subhabhong Rarueysong

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Department of Medical Sciences (DMS) has reported that about 32% of COVID-19 cases across the country in the past week have been linked to the Delta variant, with most being diagnosed in Bangkok and surrounding provinces.

DMS Director-General Dr. Supakit Sirilak said the Delta variant accounts for 52% of COVID-19 patients in the capital and is found in every district, but mostly in northern Bangkok. The strain has also already been found in 47 provinces, including those in the southern region. The growth of the prevalence of the Delta variant in the country is slightly faster than predicted.

He said the number of infections linked to the Beta variant rose by 50 cases in the past week. The strain is still mostly limited to the southern province of Narathiwat, even though Beta infections have been confirmed in Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat and Krabi. Two additional Beta variant infections were reported in Bangkok, but they are contacts of the patients in Narathiwat.

Meanwhile, Dr. Yong Poovorawan, Director of the Centre of Excellence in Clinical Virology at Chulalongkorn University, said that the Delta variant will soon replace the Alpha variant as the predominant strain in Thailand. A study is needed to find out what regimens will trigger stronger immune responses, as virus mutations continue.

nnt.jpg
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, poskat said:

"A study is needed to find out what regimens will trigger stronger immune responses, as virus mutations continue."

yes, if only there was some established way to stop stop the spread of a virus......

Thailand is lucky to have the esteemed dr yong on the case....

His comments is not about using something other than vaccines. Rather it's about deploying vaccines in a way that's more effective. For example, mixing and matching two different vaccines instead of using just 2 vaccinations of the same kind of vaccine.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

forget this. look at this:

Covid 19 coronavirus: Ultra-contagious Lambda variant detected in Australia

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/covid-19-coronavirus-ultra-contagious-lambda-variant-detected-in-australia/LAUYIDU2L7SSWMX6IQDTOYCX6A/

And given that it apparently originated in Peru, where the mortality rate is the highest in the world, that is reason to be concerned.

• Like 2

With ref to the Delta /Indian variant

just like in England and most other countries to little to late in locking down travel from India what did they expect 

I do not see what is so special about allowing travel from India any different from other countries 

now we are all having to suffer can any one explain ??????? 

3 minutes ago, Cobby007 said:

With ref to the Delta /Indian variant

just like in England and most other countries to little to late in locking down travel from India what did they expect 

I do not see what is so special about allowing travel from India any different from other countries 

now we are all having to suffer can any one explain ??????? 

If I understood what the question was I would be happy to oblige.....

5 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Predominant and will be long lived with only 7.7% of the population vaccinated according to latest Reuter Covid 19 Tracker. And that presumes 2 doses administered per person. I expect deaths and infections to continue to increase through 2021Q2

Another apology Mr. Covid-19 Czar?

Lots of new vaccines will most likely be coming on line soon. So at least shortages shouldn't be an issue. The willingness of the Thai Govt to actually make purchases is another matter entirely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The growth of the prevalence of the Delta variant in the country is slightly faster than predicted.

About to get a lot faster... there's another prediction for you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

What about Anutin's special herbal remedy?.............What happened to that solution?.......I had high hopes he was onto a winner there..

My wife was told by the local health centre that ginger, lime and some kind of root in hot water can guard us against Covid, after someone brought the virus to our village from Bangkok.

4 hours ago, poskat said:

"A study is needed to find out what regimens will trigger stronger immune responses, as virus mutations continue."

yes, if only there was some established way to stop stop the spread of a virus......

Thailand is lucky to have the esteemed dr yong on the case....

I smell a hint of sarcasm!????

• Like 1