Thailand reports new daily record of 9,276 COVID-19 cases, 72 more deaths

webfact

29 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If the UK government predicted numbers of 100,000-150,000 infections per day come true that's still going to be 200-300 deaths per day at 0.2% CFR

I should have looked up data about the flu before making that remark. I was definitely wrong.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Yes, I think it’s something forgotten that although lockdowns cause economic fallout, on the flip side, not locking down and allowing a greater number of case to develop, also has an economic cost to it.

not trying to say they are equal or anything, but it’s not a black and white choice of economic cost, or no economic cost. Shades of grey are involved.

They have the same problem in Sydney it seems they went on numbers and not variant and underestimated and had a new record to of 42 cases with a large number who were still in the community and now predicting an even longer lockdown and the cops are out and about.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In Bangkok, "New COVID-19 testing sites will be opened for walk-in service at Thai-Japan Stadium, Hua Mark Stadium and Thupatemi Sports Stadium."

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/videos/514274189883126/

Lets hope there's more to come, because of the curfew there will be no more camping outside at night to queue for testing centers, no more traveling in the evening to one, this in itself will cut back on people being able to get a test.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Last night I saw the cute news reader wearing 2 masks.I couldn't stop yelling at her.

So being that the Delta is primarilaly airborne why wouldn't two masks be more effective? I'd really like a genuine answer to this.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

They have the same problem in Sydney it seems they went on numbers and not variant and underestimated and had a new record to of 42 cases with a large number who were still in the community and now predicting an even longer lockdown and the cops are out and about.

In my view, Australia lost its way 3/4 months back. If they continue the way they are going, they will have closed borders and be locking down every 5 minutes for the rest of their lives.

instead of being ahead of the virus due to good lockdown protocols, they are now falling behind. 

strange to see it play out as it is there.

Edited by wensiensheng

3 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

So being that the Delta is primarilaly airborne why wouldn't two masks be more effective? I'd really like a genuine answer to this.

I dont think anyone is saying they are not.  I wear a surgical mask inside of my N95 and have for awhile now,  It is restrictive as far as the airflow, but then it is what it is. Waiting for my LG APR mask

Image result for new apr mask for covid

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

Thailand’s frontline medics to get one Pfizer booster shot from donated vaccine

Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) decided today (Friday) to allocate the upcoming 1.5 million doses of donated Pfizer vaccine from the US government to frontline medical workers as a third “booster” shot, and other prioritised groups in selected provinces.

People aged 60 and over, those afflicted with any of seven underlying diseases, foreign diplomats, and expatriates, especially those who are 60 years old and over or have one of the specified diseases, will receive either Pfizer or AstraZeneca donated by the Japanese government in an amount of 1.05 million doses, which was delivered today. The Pfizer vaccine is expected to be delivered later this month.

CCSA assistant spokeswoman Dr. Apisamai Srirangsan said today that, apart from the frontline medics, who will receive just one booster dose of the Pfizer vaccine, the others will receive two doses, administered three weeks apart, adding that the vaccine recipients will be those in Bangkok, Samut Sakhon, Pathum Thani and Nonthaburi, as well as Songkhla, Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat in the south, which are facing infections of the Beta variant.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-frontline-medics-to-get-one-pfizer-booster-shot-from-donated-vaccine/

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

A nasty uptick. Hope that doesn’t continue.

So thats 10 new cases in Phuket that will be added on tomorrow to official figures, thats the highest number for weeks for a daily count, yes a nasty uptick, all schools closed again. Reminder sent out to stay at home at night.

Yet absolutely no news where those 10 new cases were found, the circumstances, hospital walk ins or? No contact tracing details. Complete smoke and mirrors

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

So thats 10 new cases in Phuket that will be added on tomorrow to official figures, thats the highest number for weeks for a daily count, yes a nasty uptick, all schools closed again. Reminder sent out to stay at home at night.

Yet absolutely no news where those 10 new cases were found, the circumstances, hospital walk ins or? No contact tracing details. Complete smoke and mirrors

Very little information isn’t there.

I saw, yesterday I think it was, that people who had been in coffee shops in the vicinity of the university were being asked to come forward for testing due to risk of Covid contact.

at the time I did think that Covid infections near a university crammed with teenagers might be a potentially serious contagion point. No idea if that’s where these cases are actually from, but it sounded a warning bell for me.

all these new restrictions suggest to me that the authorities see something worrying in the information that they do have…..information that we don’t have!

Edited by wensiensheng
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Like I've said before try putting 2 masks on and breathe into a large plastic bag over your head for a few breathes then swab the bag and see if you get a different viral load.I think this would be a simple and effective test of the efficacy of masks.If I had easy access to swab tests I would do this myself to satisfy myself instead of guessing.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That number you reference was a multi day (maybe even multi-week) accumulation of many prison cases that all got dumped into one day's report, for reasons only known to the Thai govt.  That tally from May is not a legitimate one-day tally of new cases.

I think the prison cases had been accumulating from the first half of April but not reported. It was something like that anyway.

Edited by wensiensheng

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

My missus told me to wear two masks. I thought good idea. I have been wearing two masks now for a few days.

Because most Thais are wearing the cheap drug store type "medical" type masks or re-usable cloth ones that aren't as effective/efficient at blocking virus particle as N90 or N95 masks, which are more expensive, more effective, and harder to find.

2021-07-09r.png.8d9b1ce5cceaa0f6b790b4cf66b943c6.png

"The Department of Disease Control has advised the public to wear two layers of masks to prevent the COVID-19 infection while in congested places. People should wear a fabric mask on top of a surgical or medical face mask. The two layers of masks can prevent the spread of the virus up to 90%."

https://www.facebook.com/thailandprd/posts/4416590058364374

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The more significant number would be the critical care bed occupancy rate. That's a figure that a lot harder to fudge. And of course, there's mortality, too. We know that Coronavac isn't very good at stopping infections of the Delta virus. It will be interesting to see how good it is at mitigating severe symptoms and death.

47 minutes ago, anchadian said:

If 90 cases were found in a week, the Sandbox will be cancelled.

A couple more conditions also:

90 new cases a week, if 80% of Covid-19 treatment beds in hospitals are full, if more than 3 clusters have outbreaks, or if Covid-19 is found in more than 6 subdistricts in Phuket’s 3 main districts.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/full-text-of-phuket-sandbox-order-released-in-english

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

A couple more conditions also:

90 new cases a week, if 80% of Covid-19 treatment beds in hospitals are full, if more than 3 clusters have outbreaks, or if Covid-19 is found in more than 6 subdistricts in Phuket’s 3 main districts.

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/full-text-of-phuket-sandbox-order-released-in-english

They must be sweating on that 3 clusters condition. The definition of what is a cluster might have to be massaged in order to not trigger that one. 7 cases, followed by 10 cases. If any are linked, it might be close already. No idea if they ARE linked of course as the information hasn’t been released of who and where.

same for the sub districts, how to know if it’s getting close?

no doubt there is some wriggling going on behind the scenes and information on cases being kept back in the hope they can avoid cancellation of the sandbox.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Like I've said before try putting 2 masks on and breathe into a large plastic bag over your head for a few breathes then swab the bag and see if you get a different viral load.I think this would be a simple and effective test of the efficacy of masks.If I had easy access to swab tests I would do this myself to satisfy myself instead of guessing.

A mask denier when so much evidence is out there and has been for a good 16 months. Took a while for science to catch up but here we are and some people still dont get it. Some ahole in Sydney the other day spat in a police officers face when the copper told her (I think it was a her) she had to put a mask on. This Delta as I have said many times is airborne. Why do you think it spreads so fast? 

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

They must be sweating on that 3 clusters condition. The definition of what is a cluster might have to be massaged in order to not trigger that one. 7 cases, followed by 10 cases. If any are linked, it might be close already. No idea if they ARE linked of course as the information hasn’t been released of who and where.

same for the sub districts, how to know if it’s getting close?

no doubt there is some wriggling going on behind the scenes and information on cases being kept back in the hope they can avoid cancellation of the sandbox.

Indeed, I suspect thats why there are minimal details on where they are all found. For me personally and you its good to know where they are found so our families and us can be alert to the situation here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Indeed, I suspect thats why there are minimal details on where they are all found. For me personally and you its good to know where they are found so our families and us can be alert to the situation here. 

Starbucks at central was mentioned as well. That was useful for me as I do go there sometimes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

A mask denier when so much evidence is out there and has been for a good 16 months. Took a while for science to catch up but here we are and some people still dont get it. Some ahole in Sydney the other day spat in a police officers face when the copper told her (I think it was a her) she had to put a mask on. This Delta as I have said many times is airborne. Why do you think it spreads so fast? 

Actually all the coronavirus are mainly transmitted through inhalation. Transmission through physical content with surfaces that have virus particles is rare. Hosing down planes is a waste of time.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Actually all the coronavirus are mainly transmitted through inhalation. Transmission through physical content with surfaces that have virus particles is rare. Hosing down planes is a waste of time.

Good fun though. All that water swooshing over like that. The hose operators must be having a whale of a time 5555.

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

Six days until the reopening of Samui, Koh Pha Ngan and Koh Tao. Today, these three islands again reported zero infections #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1413461446541725700

And I read that since late June they've been able to have a drink with a restaurant meal until 11.00 pm. 

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Get ready for another round of the Thai dorama -- "Farang Vaccine Lottery":

"Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) decided today (Friday) to allocate the upcoming 1.5 million doses of donated Pfizer vaccine from the US government to frontline medical workers as a third “booster” shot, and other prioritised groups in selected provinces.... The Pfizer vaccine is expected to be delivered later this month."

Last time I saw, the government was counting about 1 million medical workers, and had a 70% goal to fully vaccinate more than 700,000 of them. If they target a single booster shot to the entire group, that would take somewhere between half and two-thirds of the 1.5 million Pfizer doses.

"People aged 60 and over, those afflicted with any of seven underlying diseases [presumably these two groups mean Thais since expats are mentioned separately below], foreign diplomats, and expatriates, especially those who are 60 years old and over or have one of the specified diseases, will receive either Pfizer or AstraZeneca donated by the Japanese government..."

"apart from the frontline medics, who will receive just one booster dose of the Pfizer vaccine, the others will receive two doses, administered three weeks apart, adding that the vaccine recipients will be those in Bangkok, Samut Sakhon, Pathum Thani and Nonthaburi, as well as Songkhla, Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat in the south, which are facing infections of the Beta variant."

https://www.facebook.com/ThaiPBSWorld/posts/4566657273379567

So since all of the above non-medical worker target groups probably will require two shots, that might mean enough Pfizer doses for 250,000 to perhaps 500,000 people at most. And keeping in mind, the U.S. government, according to a Thai general, had a set-aside provision of 20% of the doses (300,000) for unspecified foreigners in Thailand.

"Vaccination in Bangkok will be handled by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), while the Foreign Ministry will act as the coordinator for foreigners living in Thailand."

Hey... why not?  Both have already done such a great job already....  Recall it was the BMA spokesman / son of the BKK governor who at one prior point suggested foreigners ought to have to wait for vaccines until all Thais had been vaccinated.

Reuters has also picked up on this although not as detailed as above.

Indonesia and Thailand on Friday said booster shots with mRNA vaccines would be administered to health workers - most of which were given Chinese vaccines like Sinovac - amid concerns about their resistance to variants.

With a worsening outbreak and worries about the efficacy of vaccines offered locally, appetite has quickly grown in Thailand for mRNA vaccines, which aren't available until near the end of the year. A Thai hospital on Friday said booking slots for 1,800 shots of Moderna's vaccine were sold in minutes, after it offered it on e-commerce platform Shopee.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/caseloads-climb-southeast-asia-feels-force-delta-variant-2021-07-09/