Yellow House Book

Sad but this is the case for many, as already said, it just highlights the complete inconsistency of every government agency.

In 4 years I asked (the head man) twice for yellow book/pink ID card to be waved away with 'not for farang, migrant worker only'.

Even more atrocious, the wife needed a copy of her birth certificate, which having posted on here, I know can be a 20 minute job. Not in my amphur, he made up so many hoops that the wife got severly peed off and said if he wants money why doesn't just ask! Not been back due to covid but will need to at some point as my 2 pension companies want a copy of her birth certificate for spouse pension. Little Hitler's.

• Like 1

There is a hotline in Bangkok or report ampurs we’re you have a problem .My girl walked right passed everyone up to the big bosses table and phoned Bangkok I was taking to the front of the line pink in 5 minutes no yellow book .It was Banglamung office in Pattaya 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wozza said:

Is it mandatory to be Married to obtain a Yellow book? don't own a condo ,not married and on Retirement extension.Friend got told to get out and stop wasting her time because he wasn't married  

not necessary at all. I'm ot married and I've got mine no troubles. same can't be said for my friends though.

Tessaban staff appear ranked lowest civil servants here, below even DLT......., bottom with Rail officials.

Below Ministry / Military / Police/ Immigration / Amphur / DLT

Evident in typical extreme bad attitude to foreigners at functional level for Civil Reg. (Yellow Book)

YB Tabien Baan is the ONLY route for Foreigner National ID ( Pink Card).

Both YB and ID are almost completely useless, no material benefit, except replacing COR.

Neither should be needed for vax reg. although ID over 60 is very useful ( required) to negotiate vax centre “favours” like Appt without QR Code /Best Appt Time/ Priority Attention / Hospital Cert Issue,/ Earliest 2nd Jab. 

Certain notorious Phuket Tessaban really put me through the ringer BUT they did issue YB..... 12 wks.

Many Tessaban simply refuse.......

Without my educated thai lady, making initial enquiry, interview with municipal boss, holding local blue book reg., answering continous rude personal questions, pulling in other thai witnesses, fending off showstoppers like full birth cert with parents names ( try explaining UK Adoption with Different Father & Name Change) , staying patient and poker faced with the blasted jealous municipal MFWIC

( mother fecker whats in charge), would have withdrawn from process early on. it became an obstacle / endurance course, with my excellent lady carrying me on her strong shoulders ! lost count of number of trips to phuket town for services and documents......police fingerprinting, Embassy and Ministry Passport Certificates......

• Like 1

this is update to my problem with this man, on friday when he hung the phone up on my wife we drove to the office my wife was told to get out and he  .threw the paperwork at her, I said to him I was going to make a police report about him, today she got a call from the village boss this official had called him and said I must come to his office on monday morning and apologize to him or he is going to the police to make a complaint about me as I spoke badly to him and I will have to pay him 2000b, my thinking is I stay away from there on monday and my wife will go and see his boss she has been on the phone all day it appears  he has been moved from another office to here another friend who works there said he is very unpopular and caused many problems two other women in our village also had problems with him over birth certificates, so worst case scenario I might need a lawyer as I have no intention of apologizing or paying him, if anyone can recommend a lawyer I am located 100k near lahansai 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Tessaban staff appear ranked lowest civil servants here, below even DLT......., bottom with Rail officials.

Below Ministry / Military / Police/ Immigration / Amphur / DLT

Evident in typical extreme bad attitude to foreigners at functional level for Civil Reg. (Yellow Book)

Both YB and ID are almost completely useless, no material benefit, except replacing COR.

Neither should be needed for vax reg. although ID over 60 is very useful ( required) to negotiate vax centre “favours” like Appt without QR Code /Best Appt Time/ Priority Attention / Hospital Cert Issue,/ Earliest 2nd Jab. 

Certain notorious Phuket Tessaban really put me through the ringer BUT they did issue YB..... 12 wks.

Many Tessaban simply refuse.......

Without my educated thai lady, making initial enquiry, interview with municipal boss, holding local blue book reg., answering continous rude personal questions, pulling in other thai witnesses, fending off showstoppers like full birth cert with parents names ( try explaining UK Adoption with Different Father & Name Change) , staying patient and poker faced with the blasted jealous municipal MFWIC

( mother fecker whats in charge), would have withdrawn from process early on. it became an obstacle / endurance course, with my excellent lady carrying me on her strong shoulders ! lost count of number of trips to phuket town for services and documents......police fingerprinting, Embassy and Ministry Passport Certificates......

this was what started the problem after 5 visits I asked my wife to speak more strong and not keep taking his <deleted>, then told to leave paperwork thrown at her

9 minutes ago, Darksidedude said:

There was quite a lot of things to do to get this however dont know why i got it there is no use/advantage in having this as far as i can see, but my wife wanted me to get it.

Agree the yellow book is not much practical use, but you need it first to obtain your Pink ID card, which has proven to be very useful.

23 hours ago, OJAS said:

The sad reality is that, when it comes to issuing yellow books, amphurs are in serious competition with immigration offices and (when it comes to opening accounts for foreigners) banks for the annual Great Thai Master Of Inconsistency award.

I have found some banks are worse than immigration, our local Amphur couldn't be more helpful never had a problem. Luck of the draw but my missus knows almost everyone in the village.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Darksidedude said:

There was quite a lot of things to do to get this however dont know why i got it there is no use/advantage in having this as far as i can see, but my wife wanted me to get it.

Same here I didn't even know about a yellow book or pink card, until my wife dragged me to the the Amphur saying something like, I want you get book, good for you. Used it three times in 4 yrs, once to register a car, and renew DL, and pink card to open a TOT account

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ancharee said:

this is update to my problem with this man, on friday when he hung the phone up on my wife we drove to the office my wife was told to get out and he  .threw the paperwork at her, I said to him I was going to make a police report about him, today she got a call from the village boss this official had called him and said I must come to his office on monday morning and apologize to him or he is going to the police to make a complaint about me as I spoke badly to him and I will have to pay him 2000b, my thinking is I stay away from there on monday and my wife will go and see his boss she has been on the phone all day it appears  he has been moved from another office to here another friend who works there said he is very unpopular and caused many problems two other women in our village also had problems with him over birth certificates, so worst case scenario I might need a lawyer as I have no intention of apologizing or paying him, if anyone can recommend a lawyer I am located 100k near lahansai 

Simple answer...he probably doesn't know how to issue a foreigner a yellow book and pink ID card that's why he "won't" do it!

I would go down there....stay calm and ask to see the Head honcho.

If you get no joy...get on the phone and call the complaints line in front of them.

Trust me...like all civil servants all they want is an easy life!

Good luck.

RAZZ

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

I'd be surprised if workers from Myanmar/Cambodia have yellow books, and they are required to get a pink Non-Thai ID card, unlike Westerners. 

3 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'd be surprised if workers from Myanmar/Cambodia have yellow books, and they are required to get a pink Non-Thai ID card, unlike Westerners. 

Why should they be required to get a pink Non-Thai ID card?

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Well they have always needed an Alien Certificate, so I thought the pink card replaces that. 

After looking it up on Google an Alien Certificate seems to be for stateless people. To what document (Thai name?) exactly are you referring?

Why should a migrant worker be required to have this? They have a passport for identification purposes, same as westerners.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jackdd said:

After looking it up on Google an Alien Certificate seems to be for stateless people. To what document (Thai name?) exactly are you referring?

Why should a migrant worker be required to have this? They have a passport for identification purposes, same as westerners.

If they're working legally, the card they'll have is the work permit. Migrant workers from the neighbouring MOU countries get 2-year visas and work permits.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

8 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

If they're working legally, the card they'll have is the work permit. Migrant workers from the neighbouring MOU countries get 2-year visas and work permits.

I believe they don't need a passport. 

So their pink ID card is not the same as the farangs?

Edited by Neeranam

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I believe they don't need a passport. 

This could well be a relatively recent arrangement under the MOU terms but they can't do it without a passport. My girlfriend went through the process. The visa is in the passport and the card she has is the work permit. At the end of the 2 years, the passport is required for a renewal.

16 minutes ago, jackdd said:

To what document (Thai name?) exactly are you referring?

I can't remember but many years ago, I wanted one and went to the local provincial office and they told me the law said that all foreigners needed it but they kinda ignored the farang. 

4 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

This could well be a relatively recent arrangement under the MOU terms but they can't do it without a passport. My girlfriend went through the process. The visa is in the passport and the card she has is the work permit. At the end of the 2 years, the passport is required for a renewal.

I heard they now can get a green book like a passport which allows them to travel freely in the country. The pink ID says on the back that one can't leave the province you are in without official letter. 

Many farang think this pink ID card elevated their status in some way, whereas it's the opposite-  making them the same level as migrant workers and putting restrictions on them. This is maybe why amphur staff are reluctant to give them something they don't need, wasting their time. 

Edited by Neeranam

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I heard they now can get a green book like a passport which allows them to travel freely in the country. The pink ID says on the back that one can't leave the province you are in without official letter. 

Many farang think this pink ID card elevated their status in some way, whereas it's the opposite-  making them the same level as migrant workers and putting restrictions on them. This is maybe why amphur staff are reluctant to give them something they don't need, wasting their time. 

The travel restrictions on the pink ID card are related to stateless people or asylum seekers, for who those cards were initially introduced.

Migrant workers aren't restricted, their passport allows them to move freely.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

The travel restrictions on the pink ID card are related to stateless people or asylum seekers, for who those cards were initially introduced.

Migrant workers aren't restricted, their passport allows them to move freely.

They were on the back of the pink ID card I had 4 years ago, probably still on the back of the cards. 

I heard that some had DLs that had the same restrictions, when they used the pink card as proof of address. 

33 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I think the green card is the previous style of work permit and maybe issued at a time they were trying to bring illegal migrants into the system. I'm pretty sure the MOU system has been in place for less than 4 years. Visas are in the passport and if we go to a hotel that checks ID they want the girlfriend's passport not the work permit card. These days employers can't go through the application process without the passports. 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 6:49 PM, wozza said:

Is it mandatory to be Married to obtain a Yellow book? don't own a condo ,not married and on Retirement extension.Friend got told to get out and stop wasting her time because he wasn't married  

No but it helps to have an interest in the property. You will never get a yellow book for a rented apartment. You need the property owner to certify that you are a long term resident of the property. It can also require witnesses and additional afidavits. Marriage is not a factor but having Thais that will support the application is.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

No but it helps to have an interest in the property. You will never get a yellow book for a rented apartment. You need the property owner to certify that you are a long term resident of the property. It can also require witnesses and additional afidavits. Marriage is not a factor but having Thais that will support the application is.

"You will never get a yellow book for a rented apartment".  Not correct. When I was living in BKK I had a 6 month lease on the apartment I was living in. Has no trouble obtaining my yellow book for the rental apartment.

• Like 1

This Forum and this specific OP is concerned with expatriates not migrant workers.

Tabien Baan ( Foreigner House Registration “Yellow Book”) is ( or should be) for Longstay Visa Holders who Own or Rent Property for many years ( six months ? No) and are known and respected by local blue book registered witnessing thais.

Disappointing if a six month rental lease holder could get YB / ID.How would they be known and respected by local thais ? Why on earth would theyneed one and go through, or be allowed to go through, the considerable process involved, for no material benefit ?

They could simply settle for holding a Property Blue Book (if Owner / thai names only) and / or get an Imm. COR, over which the YB / Pink ID IS an obvious upgrade to “settled invested expatriate citizen” type status....... but carries no significant material benefit.......

• Like 1