Anyone trying to sell condo?

With the weakening baht those trying to sell are losing money almost everyday.

If you bought in Dec 2020 or around that time or even at points over the past year, your property value is down 10% due to the weaker baht.

Add the current situation, probably at least another 10% or much more.

Forecasts show it continuing to weaken into 2022 so if a buyer, I would wait and see.

If a seller, good luck.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Please excuse my ignorance but how does a weakening baht devalue a property ?

The argument would be that it worth less in one's "home" country. 

The same argument can be made that this makes renting more affordable/attractive. 

One could also argue that your property becomes more valuable and renting less affordable/attractive when the baht weakens. 

These are not arguments I would make.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

With the weakening baht those trying to sell are losing money almost everyday.

If you bought in Dec 2020 or around that time or even at points over the past year, your property value is down 10% due to the weaker baht.

Add the current situation, probably at least another 10% or much more.

Forecasts show it continuing to weaken into 2022 so if a buyer, I would wait and see.

If a seller, good luck.

Doesn't that all depend on whether the proceeds will be kept in Baht, or repatriated?

• Like 1

If anybody owns property in i.e. the USA. Do these people think the they are richer or poorer because the exchange rate to some other currency changes? Obviously not!

Property is valued wherever it is, in Thailand in THB and in America in USD.

And currency exchange rate are something different. Why do some people try to mix this together?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KaputtAlreadyNa said:

" the courage to change things that I can and the strength to accept the things that I can't "

Warmest

Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the Courage to change the things I can; and the Wisdom to know the difference.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2021 at 5:03 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

And currency exchange rate are something different. Why do some people try to mix this together?

Because they are foreigners and they bought their condos with GBP/USD/Eur. For every investment outside your home market the exchange rate is essential, no matter what you buy.

If you plan to stay in Thailand forever, then the exchange rate is as irrelevant as it is for Thai nationals. A strong THB just may make selling a bit more difficult because there are less foreign buyers.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Because they are foreigners and they bought their condos with GBP/USD/Eur. For every investment outside your home market the exchange rate is essential, no matter what you buy.

If you plan to stay in Thailand forever, then the exchange rate is as irrelevant as it is for Thai nationals. A strong THB just may make selling a bit more difficult because there are less foreign buyers.

So owning a condo is like a hedge against one's home currency going south, yes?

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 7:21 AM, JustAnotherHun said:

Thais buy property in Thailand too, you do realise that, right?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, paul paquin said:

I'm actually looking to buy a condo in Thailand, how's the market expensive or cheap? In US it's super expensive right now but at least in the US there are debt relief programs.

It's a buyer's market on steroids here for condos.

Make a ridiculous offer. It might be the only offer the seller gets. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Thank you Jingthing...correct.    For a seller the hunt is on for an idiot with money,there are a few around,fresh off a banana boat type,that compares home market with Thai market and thinks WOW.

Not just condos but houses,loads of em up for sale/abandoned,not just loads but mega loads,1997 was mentioned from Thai journalist recently,as a sure fire certainty

The same advertising junk poured forth from sellers,the agents especially,more "likes" than a conjurer could magic up for some properties,250 " likes"and more on properties on Marketplace,not a buyer in sight

For a recent buyer to realise he has been taken a year or so down the road must be suicide fodder

Is not just buying,its what happens later,unsold condos especially,blight sets in,unsold ,pay no maintenance ,security,cleaning /pool too , not functioning,it just builds up,Spain is full of it, will happen here

Edited by fredscats

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

"Here" being greater Pattaya perhaps, Bangkok? Not so much.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

For example?

Perhaps you are not aware that every condo development has Thai quota and Farang quota.

I can show you some line chats with agents where they say the price of 3.9mb was for Thai nationals only. The only room we have now for Farang is 5.09mb. When I tell them my wife will be taking a loan then the room for 3.9mb is indeed available.

Here... I picked a fuuny one for you

Screenshot-20210724-104021.jpg

Edited by Pravda
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

For example?

where I am for starters,next door,then to them,across road The star place must be 7 Seas,the lot must be for sale as hundreds for sale,well according to sales pitch as all the last batch of sellings had 300 plus of likers  (all Thai)  lol

but then magnify that by a few (hundred) thousand ,and that is just Pattaya,