Anyone trying to sell condo?

39 minutes ago, Pravda said:

That is not entirely true. For a very long time houses in Detroit couldn't even be sold for 1 dollar because they came with so many liabilities. 

I said that any property can be sold, but the price has to be low enough. You respond to this by arguing properties with large liabilities (high prices) can't be sold.  

Hilarious.

• Like 1

I always thought the Elite Visa made a lot of sense for people that go in and out of the country a lot as it offers a lot of great benefits. 

I never thought it made much sense for guys over age fifty that never travel outside the county. Cheaper to just put the 800K in the bank...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I said that any property can be sold, but the price has to be low enough. You respond to this by arguing properties with large liabilities (high prices) can't be sold.  

Hilarious.

You obviously just want to fight with anyone who has a different opinion. I guess my statement (which is just another fact) hit a nerve. 

There are plenty of properties from Thai developers being offered at a discount and the reason is liability. Foreigners who didn't complete their payments, Thais who defaulted on the loan, etc.... They are just not selling for a dollar, just a 25-30% discount. Visit any sales office from a large developer and get your facts. 

I guess you like to pick and choose facts to suit your narrative. In this case the liability is too large, so the facts should not be included.

Edited by Pravda
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Pravda said:

You obviously just want to fight with anyone who has a different opinion. I guess my statement (which is just another fact) hit a nerve. 

There are plenty of properties from Thai developers being offered at a discount and the reason is liability. Foreigners who didn't complete their payments, Thais who defaulted on the loan, etc.... They are just not selling for a dollar, just a 25-30% discount. Visit any sales office from a large developer and get your facts. 

I guess you like to pick and choose facts to suit your narrative. In this case the liability is too large, so the facts should not be included.

You claim to be stating facts while pretending that any liabilities associated with a property are part of the cost. If a property is listed for a dollar but has a lien against it, the lien is part of the price. 

Why in that confusing?

So first you pretend you can buy homes in Detroit for a dollar, and now you pretend that because properties aren't selling at a 25-30% discount off there pre-covid highs, that you've somehow proven they would not sell at any price.

If they were going for 80-90% off I would buy all I could. 

I'll bet you can't you provide an example of a development that is selling completed units at a 25-30% discount from what they were selling completed units for pre-covid. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MayBeNow said:

While in theory it can happen the chances that it will happen in Thailand are slim.

Vietnam and Cambodia are historically inward looking. They never had much foreign trade, thet restricted it, just like China did.

This untill colonised by France. This resulted in what we all know, Vietnam wars and Cambodian wars. Vietnam is changing the visa situation, but its a far cry from kicking foreigners out.

Uganda kicked out Indians imported by their coloniser, forced upon them.

Zimbabwe removes the white farmers forced upon them, tragic, sure! But understandable. 

Yugoslavia? I am not aware of any moment in their history where the kicked out non South Slavs, heck, they never had any sizeable foreign minority there. Yes they had a bloody civil war, something different.

Thailand historically is outward looking. In the 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, 20th century they happily let foreign traders and people in (ofcourse in the late 19th century they were forced to open up much much more). The Ayuttaya kingdom is an example. The only moment the Thai used force is when foreigners started behaving as if they owned the country and court. An example is the French (Poulkon) in the 17th century. Thailand is the outlier how they, historically, interacted with foreigners compared to all other countries in South East Asia.

The Thai leaders may decide its time to no longer let rif raf in. That i hold for possible. Can we really blame them? Judging how many posters here seem to hate Thailand and its people i wont.

I will see if i am rif raf for them :-).

it was not so slim some 20 years or ago   Goa  far more proportionate spent on property there than Thailand,..then it all went south,1000s of well heeled expats kicked out over the span of a couple of years

44 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Are you sure you want to take this bet? 500,000 baht. 

But to save you the embarrassment the line chat I posted with an agent that condo selling for 4.69mil original price was almost 8 million. 

What I said was: I'll bet you can't you provide an example of a development that is selling completed units at a 25-30% discount from what they were selling completed units for pre-covid. 

I never said I'd bet you can't find an "agent" to line chat with. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There is no question in my mind that the government here is hugely xenophobic, and would prefer if we just left. But, will we get kicked out? I doubt it. I could cite a dozen reasons for that. Number one is cash. 

What are some of the other eleven reasons that the people that hate us don't kick us out?

And how is it the people that hate us are getting so much money from us? I doubt it amounts to much even in the best of times. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

And how is it the people that hate us are getting so much money from us? I doubt it amounts to much even in the best of times. 

You could ask my former Brit wife, she got 30 years free living, and a 600,000 pound going away settlement from me.

1 hour ago, fredscats said:

You are missing one important item,probably the most important and inescapable item....blight. Those condos/estates whatever are all missing ,,money to maintain. The few owners still hanging on face huge fees to make up for lost revenue of the abandoned and empty condos Up for auction then,Thais more than probably sweep them up,thinking Joe Soap farang is still going to keep up the freebies No cleaning,no security,no nothing.  It obliterated Spain as surely as it will obliterate Thailand's

That's so true,

When I first moved to Chiang Mai (2009) I move in with a lady on a semi-abandoned housing estate near to Carrefour Hang Dong. Only three houses had been built on the 150 plot estate. Water and electricity went randomly on and off, sometimes for days, as they couldn't afford any maintenance. Roads flooded when drains were blocked. I would move back into town when the water went off for a week. Not much better now ........ just checked on satellite (google maps), eight houses there now.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Well there seems to be lots of agreement  from all you guys, not!  IMHO people have realized that big city living was based only on nightlife things.   Being able to step outside and grab most any food you wanted.  Socialize in a cafe or bar.  Grab a taxi or train or bus and go where you needed.  But covid has stripped those big city benefits away.  I Just read West beach in Florida has recorded record sales numbers over 40 mil$ and a few over 100 $.   People moving away from big city condos who want houses where they can live and enjoy life as most likely covid 19 will continue or covid24 will arrive, people want to be able to  cook,  garden,  walk outside, fresh air with minimal interactions that have risk.    In Utah house prices up 30% this year.  Multiple over ask Cash offers  with no inspection or contingencies, as many people leave big cities to live where nature is at your door. In another thread I read a guy said his regular GF'"s" are calling but he is using the internet for his entertainment and not taking the risk.     I don't think his attitude will be changing anytime soon. Maybe  by 2023.   

Home cooking has become necessary. Many didn't know it was fun. Many have learned how to cook for the first time.  I think things are changed forever.   

I wish spidermikes dream would come true but the true feelings of Thais in control about foreigners has now been revealed for all to see. Some people don't want to see it.   Just remember one rule I learned from reading thousands of hours about Thailand.  "Stay worth more alive than dead!"

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

You can check the following projects.... Just on top of my head. 

Oka Haus Sukhumvit 36

IDEO Sukhumvit 40

Any project branded as Ramada

They are all selling at 30% less than pre-sales. 

And let's face it. You may say you don't own a condo, but I bet you own at least 4 based on your combatative attitude. 

Have fun staying poor! 

Again, what I said was: I'll bet you can't you provide an example of a development that is selling completed units at a 25-30% discount from what they were selling completed units for pre-covid.

Why is that so difficult to comprehend? 

Calling you out when you make stuff up is being combative? 

Guess I hit a nerve huh? 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Tourism is a big industry, but expats are not tourists. 

Sorry for quoting you again, but yes they are and you are massively wrong yet again. Here I am 7 years in Thailand, but I love staying in hotels at least twice a month. As a matter of fact I'm staying at Conrad right now in a newly refurbished room with breakfast for 50 bucks all in. Price before covid 200 bucks. I see quite. A few expats here.... they certainly don't look like tourists. 

I'm guessing your reply is going to be sure you're staying in a hotel... 555, so please do tell me I'm not so I can post one of those selfies with a timestamp and your username while sitting on the toilet lolz

8 minutes ago, Pravda said:

Sorry for quoting you again, but yes they are and you are massively wrong yet again. Here I am 7 years in Thailand, but I love staying in hotels at least twice a month. As a matter of fact I'm staying at Conrad right now in a newly refurbished room with breakfast for 50 bucks all in. Price before covid 200 bucks. I see quite. A few expats here.... they certainly don't look like tourists. 

I'm guessing your reply is going to be sure you're staying in a hotel... 555, so please do tell me I'm not so I can post one of those selfies with a timestamp and your username while sitting on the toilet lolz

I'm not staying in a hotel, and if I did it likely would not be the Conrad. I have a nice home, why would I go stay at a hotel?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

1 hour ago,  spidermike007 said: 

Perhaps ex-pats should be given a bit more credit, in this formula? We do bring in alot of stable income.  Even the rural folks benefit. Alot of the nicer houses in the poorer farming areas were built with money from expats. Alot of trucks, cars and income is from expats. Countless business employing many. To say it is insignificant, is a blatant misunderstanding of Thai economics.

What is a lot? You claim the people in charge hate us, and but for the money they are raking in they would kick us out. How many expats are there? Again, I don't see it as that much in the schema of things. 

In terms of the grand scheme of things, ex-pats are likely a small part of the overall economy. At least that used to be the case, when there was an economy here, before the goons sabotaged it. I know alot of guys who have built 3-5 million baht homes, have successful businesses, buy new vehicles regularly, and such. It is a contribution. Even though Thai income has dropped alot in the past 18 months, I still spend 65,000 to 90,000 baht per month. Many ex-pats do. 

Thousands of hotels, restaurants, countless airlines and many tour companies, also benefit. At least prior to the local tourism industry sabotage.

Tourism is a big industry, but expats are not tourists. 

Oh yes we are. Many of us travel often, buy plane tickets, stay in nice hotels, eat in nice restaurants and spend a bundle. 

By comparison, an average ex-pat spends how much per month? I would say alot of us spend 50,000 to upwards of 100,000 baht a month. I know I do. No value in that? I know some live on less. However, since the average GDP of the nation is around $570, that means about 18,000 baht a month?

How did you come up with $570 a month?

The following chart shows household income to be around 20,000 baht in most areas of Thailand. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1030220/thailand-average-monthly-income-per-household-by-region/

According to the National Statistical office of Thailand, individual income was closer to 14,000 baht, and falling.

Wages in Thailand decreased to 14385.86 THB/Month in the first quarter of 2021 from 14620.50 THB/Month in the fourth quarter of 2020.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages

think xenophobia is utterly rampant, in all segments of the government here, from the feds right on down to the local amphur. However, I do not think most Thai people are that way. I think most either like us, or are indifferent to us. Which I can handle. 

This simply has not been my experience. Most Thais I come in contact with seem friendly and treat me respectfully.

And I said the same thing. I do not think most Thai people are that way. 

To the contrary, I think ex-pats should be treated with the kind of respect and acknowledgement we deserve. We have decided to change our policies, and we now realize how much you guys bring to the table. An immigration officer will now come to your home to renew your visa, to show our appreciation, of your continued support. You will only be required to sign one form, and we will give you a five year, multiple entry visa. Free of charge. And we will include a 10,000 baht voucher, good for any hotel in the country, for one year. 

Expand  

You sound like Joe Biden talking about illegals crossing the border, but he's offering monthly payments and citizenship before the next election. 

It was an attempt at humor, which obviously went completely over your head.

Princely treatment. Thank you so much for helping to rescue our economy and our people. We appreciate it, and aim to show it for a change! We are past the era of thugs like the big joke. And we apologize for all of his abuse. We realize we have been moving the country backwards.

Yep, two peas in a pod...

Few can question his retrograde administration. 

Edited by spidermike007

14 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I have a nice home, why would I go stay at a hotel? 

So true. I'm homeless, but now and then I stay at Conrad. 

Edited by Pravda
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2021 at 1:41 PM, beano2274 said:

deposit paid, was always late with rent, did not pay for 2 months and just moved out, we tried to get her out earlier but never worked

Joys of renting property . Not an easy game

42 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

In terms of the grand scheme of things, ex-pats are likely a small part of the overall economy. At least that used to be the case, when there was an economy here, before the goons sabotaged it. I know alot of guys who have built 3-5 million baht homes, have successful businesses, buy new vehicles regularly, and such. It is a contribution. Even though Thai income has dropped alot in the past 18 months, I still spend 65,000 to 90,000 baht per month. Many ex-pats do. 

Oh yes we are. Many of us travel often, buy plane tickets, stay in nice hotels, eat in nice restaurants and spend a bundle. 

The following chart shows household income to be around 20,000 baht in most areas of Thailand. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1030220/thailand-average-monthly-income-per-household-by-region/

According to the National Statistical office of Thailand, individual income was closer to 14,000 baht, and falling.

Wages in Thailand decreased to 14385.86 THB/Month in the first quarter of 2021 from 14620.50 THB/Month in the fourth quarter of 2020.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages

And I said the same thing. I do not think most Thai people are that way. 

It was an attempt at humor, which obviously went completely over your head.

Few can question his retrograde administration. 

I was asking where you got the average GDP of $570 that you used to compare to the  B50-100K you made up for expats. If you don't know or made that up as well, just say so. No need to muddy the waters with a lot of unrelated numbers. I assume you make it all up as you go along anyway.

I don't doubt the average expat puts more into the economy than does a the average Thai factory worker, I just don't see how it directly benefits the people you claim hate us, and who you claim would kick up out but for the money. 

Oh, and we're still waiting for the eleven other reasons the people that hate us don't kick us out. 

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

Well there seems to be lots of agreement  from all you guys, not!  IMHO people have realized that big city living was based only on nightlife things.   Being able to step outside and grab most any food you wanted.  Socialize in a cafe or bar.  Grab a taxi or train or bus and go where you needed.  But covid has stripped those big city benefits away.  I Just read West beach in Florida has recorded record sales numbers over 40 mil$ and a few over 100 $.   People moving away from big city condos who want houses where they can live and enjoy life as most likely covid 19 will continue or covid24 will arrive, people want to be able to  cook,  garden,  walk outside, fresh air with minimal interactions that have risk.    In Utah house prices up 30% this year.  Multiple over ask Cash offers  with no inspection or contingencies, as many people leave big cities to live where nature is at your door. In another thread I read a guy said his regular GF'"s" are calling but he is using the internet for his entertainment and not taking the risk.     I don't think his attitude will be changing anytime soon. Maybe  by 2023.   

Home cooking has become necessary. Many didn't know it was fun. Many have learned how to cook for the first time.  I think things are changed forever.   

I wish spidermikes dream would come true but the true feelings of Thais in control about foreigners has now been revealed for all to see. Some people don't want to see it.   Just remember one rule I learned from reading thousands of hours about Thailand.  "Stay worth more alive than dead!"

Did you talk to any of those people living in a big city? Or to be precise in Bangkok, the only big city in Thailand?

I live in the middle of Sukhumvit which is currently a lot quieter than usual. Bars are obviously closed. And currently shopping centers as well. But any type of food is still available at all the restaurants which are not allowed to have guests inside but still sell food. And I still visit my favorite espresso place every morning and sit there - socially distanced. I don't want a house and all the work which comes together with that house. And I certainly don't want to live up country where even the next 7/11 is 20km away. I have 4 of them in walking distance now, and all of them are open.

If you don't like the big city that is fine. But don't pretend you understand those people in the city who think different than you.

• Like 2