Thailand reports new daily record of COVID-19 cases

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, anchadian said:

The BP has reported that the PHM said today that more than 600 medical workers that received two dose shots of Sinovac have been infected with Covid-19

Would this sudden rise be due to Deltas's new dominance?

29 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

You surprise me. I have the opposite sense.

Particularly here in Thailand it previously seemed that the population thought just one jab gave instant 100% protection.

but with the recent media coverage of perceived issues with sinovac versus the delta variant, I get the sense that people are far more wary of just any old vaccine now and are consciously looking for mRNA vaccines because they realize “a vaccine” is not 100% effective immediately

that’s just anecdotal from what I see and read in the press, so no where near conclusive. It’s interesting your read of the situation is the opposite though, maybe I need to cast a wider net.

Possibly you do.  I see a belief creeping in that mRNA vaccines are a magic bullet. Real world evidence is showing them to be not any better than the AZ vaccine in effect (both being very effective). You'd have thought the rational thing to do is to try to get hold of the AZ vaccine, since it is the one most likely available, but no people must have the Pfizer/Moderna!  It's a phenomenon also noted in Australia, and Brazil. Yes, cast the net wider with a google search "vaccine- sommelier Brazil". You see what I mean?  Perhaps an explanation is that the AZ is seen to be unsafe.  The odd thing here is that when you look at the wider data, none is better than the other.

• Haha 1

The BP has reported that the PHM said today that more than 600 medical workers that received two dose shots of Sinovac have been infected with Covid-19

Phuket Health Ministry?  In Phuket 600 have tested positive? If thats the case then the lies have been stacking up in Phuket daily....

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its amazing how people just don't read the thread here as all the news is there, laziness guess

When BIG D is on the move you can skip almost half post anyway .

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Phuket Health Ministry?  In Phuket 600 have tested positive? If thats the case then the lies have been stacking up in Phuket daily....

Public 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Possibly you do.  I see a belief creeping in that mRNA vaccines are a magic bullet. Real world evidence is showing them to be not any better than the AZ vaccine in effect (both being very effective). You'd have thought the rational thing to do is to try to get hold of the AZ vaccine, since it is the one most likely available, but no people must have the Pfizer/Moderna!  It's a phenomenon also noted in Australia, and Brazil. Yes, cast the net wider with a google search "vaccine- sommelier Brazil". You see what I mean?  Perhaps an explanation is that the AZ is seen to be unsafe.  The odd thing here is that when you look at the wider data, none is better than the other.

Ahh, I see. That’s more understandable to me then. As the doubts on some vaccines start, so others become the magic bullet that you mention.

Which isn’t so of course. The UK is an example of vaccines definitely not stopping cases, although currently keeping hospitalizations low. The last chapter hasn’t been read yet of course.

to be fair, I think it is publicity related to sinovac that has people querying vaccines, AZ seems to be perceived as acceptable. But yes, perception that mRNA is a cut above anything else.

thanks for clarifying.

Edited by wensiensheng

2 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Ahh, I see. That’s more understandable to me then. As the doubts on some vaccines start, so others become the magic bullet that you mention.

Which isn’t so of course. The UK is an example of vaccines definitely not stopping cases, although currently keeping hospitalizations low. The last chapter hasn’t been read yet of course.

thanks for clarifying.

Yes, sorry I probably didn't explain it well enough- I'm still trying to sort it out in my own head.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Hence the rush for a booster and that study result that said Sinovac was not effective. A real problem now for the authorities, they need those boosters asap and the health workers need decent protection before too many more end up an unwanted statistic

Four days until the reopening of Samui, Koh Pha Ngan and Koh Tao. Today, these three islands again reported zero infections with only four people in hospital. TAT Newsroom has put together this useful FAQ factsheet: https://tatnews.org/2021/07/samui-plus-faqs… #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1414174893047001091

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, atpeace said:

Ill say it - this is not exponential.   Do you know how numbers grow exponentially?  Not even close to exponential.  It is a 50% increase which is not good.

Fair enough. All I know that within a month it's gone from the 2k's to low 3k to almost 10k. June 11 2,290 July 11 9,539. More than quadrupiled.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So MOPH

or Public Health Ministry and yes, abbreviated to MOPH although the source quoted Public Health Ministry.

Edited by anchadian

I have proposition to TVF admin! Is it possible to put one place all links what is important to people who follow news about covid situation in LOS? Seems like many member dont know how write "thailand news" in google!

Edited by 2 is 1

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

or Public Health Ministry and yes, abbreviated to MOPH

Now that makes sense especially with a nurse passing away that had been vaccinated.  They sure are scrambling now aren't they.

• Like 2

Hundreds of Thai medical workers infected despite Sinovac vaccinations

BANGKOK, July 11 (Reuters) - Thailand's health ministry said on Sunday more than 600 medical workers who received two doses of China's Sinovac vaccine (SVA.O) have been infected with COVID-19, as authorities weigh giving booster doses to raise immunity.

Of the 677,348 medical personnel who received two doses of Sinovac, 618 became infected, health ministry data from April to July showed. A nurse has died and another medical worker is in critical condition.

An expert panel has recommended a third dose to trigger immunity for medical workers who are at risk, senior health official Sopon Iamsirithawon, told a news briefing on Sunday.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/hundreds-thai-medical-workers-infected-despite-sinovac-vaccinations-2021-07-11/

That went international quick! Come on Prayut and Anutin get on it now and stop dithering with endless meetings

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, anchadian said:

BANGKOK, July 11 (Reuters) - Thailand's health ministry said on Sunday more than 600 medical workers who received two doses of China's Sinovac vaccine (SVA.O) have been infected with COVID-19, as authorities weigh giving booster doses to raise immunity.

Of the 677,348 medical personnel who received two doses of Sinovac, 618 became infected, health ministry data from April to July showed. A nurse has died and another medical worker is in critical condition.

An expert panel has recommended a third dose to trigger immunity for medical workers who are at risk, senior health official Sopon Iamsirithawon, told a news briefing on Sunday.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/hundreds-thai-medical-workers-infected-despite-sinovac-vaccinations-2021-07-11/

I would add so far!

As more and more become exposed to the virus, particularly the Delta variant, I'd expect that number to increase.

But these numbers are what would you predict with any vaccine.

15 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The effectiveness of Sinovac has been questioned for a while ... and now we have it playing out in reality.

Despite this, 10.9 million more doses of it were just ordered, for B6.1 billion - a lot of money, and for what?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Locations would be nice so we can work our way around them if needed to get across town unless they are just at the outer ends before the roads head to a different province.  Wonder if you have to go through one driving to MTT which is technically in Nonthaburi....

And are they only in force during curfew hours?

27 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Ergo although 618 medical workers have become infected after 2 doses of Sinocvac, 676,730 who received two doses of Sinovac did not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1